Ares Games
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Derbyshire Wings of Glory Scene.

Here is a real chance for the pilots in Derbyshire to make a name for their Flight by supporting Barney and the LGS event.
    Step up to the mark and show your metal chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Best wishes for your success, Barnaby.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Best wishes for your success, Barnaby.
    Thank you very much - this is open to the Aerodrome so should you feel like one last blast before Xmas 2015 please feel free to come along

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

More information on November 29th 2015 is now available here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...15-ALL-WELCOME

... with the emphasis placed on All Welcome

Hi Barney, I will check with SWMBO, but I think I could assist on the WGF side.
    If I can get over I will bring a few planes for both WGF and WGS. Depending on playing area, we could run a very small version of BoB.
    I will also bring my Shapeways and AIM stuff, but run it past Mark before displaying.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

John.

very much for this music to my ears! To have you on board all being well would be fantastic - please bring the Family if anybody else is interested as I feel that this is an important aspect of the game people would like to know about as we may have it ... But so many other games don't.

Mark may very well have heard of Shapeways and AIM but I will ask and hopefully get his permission for a display.

BTW - Speaking of those have you heard about the One True Scale meeting at the Midland Air Museum which is taking place on October 18th 2015? This all-1/200 Scale show is open to the public from 10 AM until 4 PM featuring diecast pewter and resin aircraft from across the ages / wars. Models can be brought along for display traded and bought: Marion and I are definitely going along to the Museum which is at the Coventry end of the M69 motorway as I'm hoping to bring my next 'WGS V-Bomber' project back from there.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up LEEDS BRADFORD AIRPORT

Aussietonka is in the Leeds area from October 5th to October 8th 2015 equipped with 6 x WGS aircraft and gaming mat. Available evenings if anybody fancies a game in this area as teaching Ground School throughout days.

On two dates two opponents are available as a new player will be with me. Have big enough table in hotel room for gaming mat. Got WW2 RAP with me too.

Had to miss DWW this year due to teaching Ground School so wanting to make up for lost time! Interested? Please communicate via Aerodrome and we will get something arranged. Barn
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-04-2015 at 11:57.

Might be able to drop in on Nov. 29th as Derby is not that far away - will have to have a close look at the diary

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Cool New WGS Player Takes Tour Of Aerodrome.

Just showing new player Ben Arden from FT around the Aerodrome. Didn't know where to post this so sticking it in here and it is all showing up well on my phone.

Got a game or two of WGS going on currently where it is Spit Mk 9 versus the Ki-84. Me flying Axis side one game played so far and now looking at Aerodrome.

Noticed everyone posting about Nov 29 2015 in here now not in other thread. That is fine the more the merrier let's all have one last gathering before xmas 2015!

Hi Barney
    Would love to come if possible but I am out the following Saturday on my annual pilgrimage to Recon in Pudsey,Leeds so not sure if I will be let off the leash two week-ends running. What's the general shopping like in Derby on a Sunday? Possibly SWIMBO could shop while I game?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Shopping in Derby very good on a Sunday though I think both covered markets are closed. The Intu Centre is in walking distance as is the main shopping street which Sadler Gate joins near the top. This enables a start to be made in the Cathedral Quarter and then work your way downwards to where the Intu Shopping Centre can be accessed. Sadler Gate itself has some interesting shops and Galactic Models is in The Strand Arcade which leads onto there.

Would be fantastic to have you along Reg

UPDATE: Richard Seville having to drop out - University field trip over same weekend

UPDATE: Simon Maverick planning to come along for some WW1 / WGF action
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-09-2015 at 15:01. Reason: Include Latest Updates.

Anything on for today ar the shop Barney?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Anything on for today ar the shop Barney?
    No because of XH558 - the Avro Vulcan making it's UK tours. Next Saturday or the Saturday afterwards I may ask to run a Public Demonstration Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Shopping in Derby very good on a Sunday though I think both covered markets are closed. The Intu Centre is in walking distance as is the main shopping street which Sadler Gate joins near the top. This enables a start to be made in the Cathedral Quarter and then work your way downwards to where the Intu Shopping Centre can be accessed. Sadler Gate itself has some interesting shops and Galactic Models is in The Strand Arcade which leads onto there.

Would be fantastic to have you along Reg

UPDATE: Richard Seville having to drop out - University field trip over same weekend

UPDATE: Simon Maverick planning to come along for some WW1 / WGF action
    Thanks for the info Barney. Mrs Rebel is not very mobile but she does have a mobility scooter so will depend on the weather to a large degree. Will therefore have to let you know nearer the time but I will make every effort to be there.

Hi Barney
    I'm sure I saw the times for the Galactic Models event on 29th November on one of your posts but I'm d---nd if I can find it again. Could you let me have the details again please.
    Cheers
    Reg

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

for the suggestion of a general reminder as to Event Times which can be found below.

What we need to do is organise and equip the games which will be played on the day. The shop is open 10:00 AM - 16:30 PM giving us plenty of time to play multiple games or even hold a tourny. Either way everything begins here ... I feel that this could be the start of a brand new event for all of us.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...15-ALL-WELCOME

The link goes straight to the beginning of the other (event specific) thread for all information likely to be required for November 29th 2015. The event is being held at:

Galactic Models
    3 - 4 The Strand Arcade
    Sadler Gate
    Derby
    DERBYSHIRE
    DE1 1BQ

Please may we begin to obtain a better picture of who is definitely coming with what. There for sure will be WGS Contingent Barney (Me) and Mazzle (Marion the Lady Wife) and FNP Ben from Wetherby who is also WGS.

Please remember that we need to plan and resource potentially public participation games - I would recommend a maximum size as things stand of four to six players. I have a good WGS idea suitable for the Top Table in the shop involving late war fighters. Or we abandon the Top Table in the shop idea and concentrate all our efforts 100% in the games room. Which I will see if I have some photos of.

Finally and this will delight Tim (Flying Helmut) to the max it's looking so far as if it will be a NO SAILS!!! day - although it is still open to Sails if anybody wishes to ...

I'll be there Barney. I'll bring WGF and early war WGS, I can run a second table if required.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Via Barney: Simon ~ AKA Maverick will be in attendance and will be show casing participation games for WGF ~ WWI.

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Count me in - W.G.S. Will we see XH560 in action at Galactic Models?

Welcome to the Drome Ben.
    I expect the chaps will be along to say hi soon.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome from West Yorkshire.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyben View Post
    Will we see XH560 in action at Galactic Models?
    If I can entice the crew away from their latest train spotting antics near Coventry I will have a polite word in their ear

Be prepared for the fact that XH560 may have to sit this one out as she is after all both an unofficial and a trophy aircraft too. But on paper - Hell Yeah! Will think this one over carefully

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Be prepared for the fact that XH560 may have to sit this one out as she is after all both an unofficial and a trophy aircraft too.
    May I ask what a trophy aircraft is? You have already explained to me how there are official and unofficial used to play W.G.S.

Also what is the latest situation on Galactic Models actually becoming a Wings of Glory stockist? You ordered that outstanding Flying Fortress from them weeks ago - what will be available for us all to buy from the shop on the day we visit

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

May I ask what a trophy aircraft is?
    Pity you are showing up as offline at the moment Ben - Trophy Aircraft: Innovatively unique in it's nature but also a bit of a one trick pony when compared with other types. The best example of this from an Official WGS point of view is the Avro Lancaster Dambuster Edition. Which on face value can only be used for ... Attacking dams. However the WGS Series 5 collection of would not be complete without this aircraft.

XH560 is an unofficial WGS as the whole idea was created by me. Even though elements of the idea are official products such as the Bomb and Target Cards. However if a member of the public spotted XH560 in use at a public event and wanted one for themselves I would regrettably have to inform them that XH560 is in fact not available for the game. Either that or give them a BOM Diagram and tell them to go and build their own. As well as to expect a Production Cost of around GBP £70.00 Per Unit unless of course they recently happen to have cocked up a repaint on a Heavy Bomber Official as well as had to replace a Focke Wulf Fw.190D that somebody went and bust for them recently!

The 'marge' in the customised altitude peg would also need explaining ... twice probably. So maybe best to keep XH560 unique to the Aerodrome but away from publicising and championing the game.

I have PM'ed you about the full-time stockist business - you probably heard me on the phone today to Mark about that Boeing B-17F ... Better late than never anyway.

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

BOM Diagram

The 'marge' in the customised altitude peg would also need explaining ... twice probably.
    1) Bill of Materials Diagram - seen one at Earnshaw's Motorcycles.

2) The 'marge' in the customised altitude peg would definitely need explaining!

3) PM received and read talk to you later about it when we meet up. Will bring all kit as you advise me to & looking fwd to it

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

1) Bill of Materials Diagram - seen one at Earnshaw's Motorcycles.

2) The 'marge' in the customised altitude peg would definitely need explaining!

3) PM received and read talk to you later about it when we meet up. Will bring all kit as you advise me to & looking fwd to it
    1) Correct - that was kind of them.

2) Obviously - But I can't believe it's not butter either!

3) Sure - Bring all kit carefully or else it will be back to 1) for your bike to be repaired! Looking forward to it as well.

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

1) Correct - that was kind of them.

2) Obviously - But I can't believe it's not butter either!

3) Sure - Bring all kit carefully or else it will be back to 1) for your bike to be repaired! Looking forward to it as well.
    1) Recommended - had two bikes from Earnshaw's Motorcycles now and think very highly of them and their customer service

2) Plot - as in I am completely lost on this one now

3) Brilliant - about to leave now to collect RAP and aircraft from home. Look forward to your advice on my kit

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Arrow GENTLEMEN ... I hope we are all well today.

As you will gather I am one of Barney's longest standing friends called Ben Arden. Though I have reported for duty I am introducing myself again here because some important changes are about to be made.

Re: Galactic Models Wings and Sails Day - November 29th 2015.

1) Barney and I played two excellent games yesterday evening but also had a long chat about this event. I am sorry to say that at the moment Barney is not in the best state of health and needs to rest which is what this is all about. We have agreed that from today I am going to be involved in the organisation and running of this event and I am delighted about this. The event will of course always be Barney's brainchild and it is important that we all wish him a safe and hopefully speedy recovery during his RDO or Rest Days Off period.

2) I have never served in the Armed Forces and so all of us are on first name terms at this event. I know Barney knows and observes ranks and addresses accordingly but he is ex-armed forces. As a new player I aim to attend as many events and conventions as possible where I am able to meet Members and play / support the game which I am very much looking forward to doing.

3) Thank you everyone who has confirmed their attendance so far. Barney has given me an idea as to who is who and how pleased he is that you are coming. I am especially pleased to learn that though we are playing this event in Derby there will be a strong presence from Yorkshire where I am from. As are brass bands dales and the racing from Tadcaster but none of those play Wings of Glory! Could I please ask those who are still to respond to get in touch and inform us either way of your intentions. We could do with encouraging a few more attendees if possible to this event which is one of the last opportunities to play before Christmas 2015. I am aware of the fact that this is not a traditionally established event or maybe off the beaten track a bit at the moment - so why not support this event and help it to grow into an Aerodrome-specific get together? Which if successful stands every chance of being repeated.

4) Our venue at Galactic Models in Derby City Centre: I have some good points and I am sorry to say some considerations too which I would like your thoughts on please.

Firstly: The Good. The shop which is in an easily accessible location is run by Mark Meredith who Barney has been friends with since 2010. Equipped with a bright airy and quite a sizeable games room at the rear the shop itself is a traditional model shop as well as a gaming store. We have been offered the games room for free by Mark between the hours of 10:00 AM and 16:00 PM although alcohol and the playing of loud music are both prohibited as the shop does not hold the licenses required. But there will always be the chance to go for a pint or two after the shop closes for the day. Barney doesn't normally drink but I am sure as s*** that he will have one if this event is successful! Mark originally offered us a top-table located in the shop itself too in the event of us choosing to hold a tournament however this I don't think will be necessary or required. During the event the shop will be open to the public so expect an element of public participation as the result of customers looking in on our activities. Refreshments are available from a location within 100 yards walk of the shop or attendees are invited to bring their own packed lunches and supplies.

Secondly: The Issues. Mark and Barney may have been friends for five years but in terms of what may affect this event my approach is going to be rather more pragmatic and up front. Galactic Models is currently not a Wings of Glory stockist but has been promising to become one since March 2015. The original plan behind this event was to mark the shop finally becoming a Wings of Glory stockist in November 2015 as opposed to just being a location from where kit is orderable from. But IMHO the reality of the matter is that the shop will not actually become a Wings of Glory stockist for some time to come yet. This is because Mark cannot afford to buy the stuff in due to his current finances: So in terms of what will be available for event attendees to buy on the day from the shop: Zero. I am sorry about this but there s more: Up until a few weeks ago Barney has been placing Wings of Glory orders through Galactic Models on an available to order basis. On the basis of how successful this arrangement had been so far Barney placed an order for an aircraft three weeks ago. Only to be informed by Mark that due to the tight financial situation he would have to bear with him over the buying in of this single order that week. So they agreed to order this aircraft in the following week ... Then just in case Barney gave Mark an extra week before contacting him again and hoping to pick up his order. Only to be told the very same thing again and that another two weeks would be required. Barney who had also been waiting months for a gaming mat that was supposedly on order for him has subsequently cancelled both. So in terms of what will be available for event attendees to order on the day from the shop: Zero? TBH I am actually not very happy about these availability factors: Most of all because how are we supposed to recruit new players to a game which is not available for them to buy? This is the matter which I would like your thoughts on most of all.

5) Sails of Glory. Although Barney did open the event to Sails of Glory too my general impression is that maybe we are best concentrating all our efforts on Wings of Glory? Most of all because in terms of the game's availability at Galactic Models this is obviously another no-brainer which could be avoided completely through it's omission. So if Tim (Flying Helmut) is here this does I am afraid mean NO SAILS!!!

6) Alternative Venue Possibility. Should the issues discussed above generate interest in this event moving locations away from Galactic Models then it could be moved to one of three easy to reach locations which Barney is aware of within a ten mile radius of his home location in Chester Green. Any suggestions or views upon this are obviously needed urgently or at least very soon so that a locational transfer is able to be made successfully. The only thing we need to bear in mind about this is the hiring charges of using an alternative location. Unless of course we all end up back at Barney and Marion's which is one mile outside of Derby City Centre with free parking available 100 to 150 yards away. Has anybody ever seen twenty different Spitfires under the same roof at the same time? I have around at Barney's on Battle of Britain Day on September 15th 2015 where is able to accommodate two decent-sized gaming locations and one 90 cm x 90 cm spot on the kitchen table.

7) Conclusion. Thank you very much for listening today and reading the above posting from me. I now wish to invite thoughts and questions: Over to you ...

How many confirmed attendee's do you have?

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Hello Neil. We have six attending so far including myself Barney and Marion.

We will also be joined on the day by John\Johnbiggles Simon\Maverick and Reg\Rebel.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Ben: That is perfect.

As spoken like a true Pilot in Command.

Though the let's all pile round Barn's bit at the end was what made me laugh! Needs Must though Buster: Will do it if we have to resort to it ...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Oh BTW: If it is a Let's all pile round Barn's do BYO alcohol is welcome - like Chris (Hedeby) once said to me a drink between friends is an occasion to enjoy. AGREED. This is probably our last get together before Xmas 2015 is upon us after all!

A good showing of 'Drome members. Wishing you all well and have a great day, well in advance I know.

Hi Barney
    Sorry to hear that you are not well. (Was it the ham and pease pudding stoties I wonder?)
    Get well soon mate and I'll raise a glass to you in the mess tonight. Salute.
    Rebel

Hi Ben
    You can now put me down as a definite and I would be happy to organise a WGF game. Probably 4 x DR.1's v 4 x S.E.5a's so four, or less, a side. I will almost certainly be accompanied by my good friend Doug.
    Regarding your excellent points raised above. Should we not try the Galactic 'venue' before we go about moving to somewhere else? The lack of alcohol doesn't worry me as I have to drive back up to just south of Pontefract so completely sober I will need to be.
    Rebel

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Hello Reg. I am looking forward to meeting you and your friend Doug at this event. I have passed on your regards to Barney and he is delighted to hear you have confirmed attendance.

We are amassing a strong WGF presence in those attending so far - GREAT as I haven't seen WGF yet! But there will be a WGS presence on the day too in the shape of myself Barney and Marion.

Diversion of Event: There is in fact a contingency plan being devised even though Barney and I are hoping that we don't have to use it. In the event of Galactic Models (which sounds like it is on it's knees financially) going out of business over these next six weeks the aim is to be able to transfer locations elsewhere. This at least will still ensure that we have an event to play and maybe even to build upon for the future if attendance is healthy. Barney has found a definite and a potential possibility within his locality as well as offered us a workable last resort - in his words if that's what it takes.

Well done you chaps for organising an event. Any chance you have WIFI there to allow us foreign Johnnies to what the event via Skype?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hello Reg. I am looking forward to meeting you and your friend Doug at this event. I have passed on your regards to Barney and he is delighted to hear you have confirmed attendance.

We are amassing a strong WGF presence in those attending so far - GREAT as I haven't seen WGF yet! But there will be a WGS presence on the day too in the shape of myself Barney and Marion.

Diversion of Event: There is in fact a contingency plan being devised even though Barney and I are hoping that we don't have to use it. In the event of Galactic Models (which sounds like it is on it's knees financially) going out of business over these next six weeks the aim is to be able to transfer locations elsewhere. This at least will still ensure that we have an event to play and maybe even to build upon for the future if attendance is healthy. Barney has found a definite and a potential possibility within his locality as well as offered us a workable last resort - in his words if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the heads up Ben. I admit I hadn't taken on board the possible parlous state of the owner.
    Reg

Hi Ben
    If you think another WGS would be a good idea I can as well do something along either BoB or Pacific theatre lines instead of, or as well as, my planned WGF.
    Reg

Default November 29th

HI Ben
    I will bring sufficient to run a Fokker -V- Sopwith Camel encounter...and or a twin seater photo recon mission plus support - V- DR I
    ample options and just require bums on seats...
    look forward to meeting you on the day.
    Your a true friend to Barney,
    All the best
    Maverick

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hello to All from Barney. As you may gather I am currently Confined to Barracks again and receiving assistance now in the organisation of this event. If there are any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask

Reg: When you confirmed your attendance that made my day so thank you for that. Please bring Doug as I remember him from Doncaster 2015. I too have noticed the WGF Presence : WGS Presence balance and appreciate your offer of bringing both if possible. WGF as this was your original choice and intention and WGS if it is possible to help beef it's presence up at this event.

Paul: I think Derby City Centre has a free WIFI network of it's own so I will look into this and check it covers the Cathedral Quarter where Sadler Gate is. We could use my laptop to run Skype by setting up a link prior to the event. Then seeing if the link will work at Galactic Models once confirmed as working from my home location.

Ben: Absolutely sterling effort so far thank you very much. Do make people aware that there is a contingency plan but like you say hopefully it will not have to come into effect. I am aware that I have known Mark for five years now but it is not either your fault or mine that Galactic Models appears to be on it's knees financially. Hence the let's all pile back to Barn's element of that contingency plan no longer being a joke but a Needs Must. Of the two locations I have looked at so far St Mary's Church & Hall looking the best but with a hiring charge attached. Little Chester Cricket Club looks like something out of Goodbye Sarajevo with a hiring charge attached: So we have got a free option and a payable but no BYO option with difficult parking. Then finally we have got authentic surroundings for a wargame where BYO if you dare probably ... Plus when we pay they will probably say Dobra-Dan to which we have to reply Dobra-Dolski!!!
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-23-2015 at 16:49. Reason: Typo!

Hello Neil. We have six attending so far including myself Barney and Marion.

We will also be joined on the day by John\Johnbiggles Simon\Maverick and Reg\Rebel.
    Hoping to be there as well - I have a few (60+) WW1 planes I can bring along as well as three gaming mats etc.

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Hello to All from Barney. If there are any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask
    Hello to All from Ben. It is October 22nd 2015 and I have just hopped online briefly having noticed that I have messages on here to attend to.

Simon: I am looking forward to meeting you too at this event where the numbers are growing healthily: We currently stand at eight confirmed attendees and one or two who have yet to respond. That game idea sounds fantastic and Barney says please bring Snoopy!

Barney: Former Yugoslavia Flashbacks and talking Serbo-Croat has taken Little Chester Cricket Club out of the batting order as far as I am concerned! Stuff that for a game of soldiers - um Wings of War rather: End Of before I get the chance to use any more bad puns! But that still leaves us with two workable options within the contingency plan although I am having difficulty imagining a Church Hall allowing BYO alcohol too ... They must have some form of parking facility there - judging by the numbers attending so far we are hardly going to turn the place into Bristol Street Motors! My real concern is the hiring charge: How much and for how long? In terms of our intended location at Galactic Models let us continue to take advantage of the free gaming room offer if nothing else as well as it's central location. Though I appreciate your false-start frustrations and agree with the state of Mark's finances not being our fault (our business the way I am viewing it) I think you will just have to do your best to just cast those negative counter-productive feelings aside. BTW that WIFI and Skype idea if it can be set up is excellent as should we establish a link here to players in other lands it may just help to grow the numbers next time and ensure that this event has a future.

Chris: Thank you very much for confirming attendance and may I offer a very warm welcome to this event. Please bring whatever kit you can especially gaming mats. Dare I suggest that we could even form a Yorkshire Squadron at this rate and play the Rest of The UK Squadron at a game - I am gaining a strong impression of W.G.F. actually being the best game for anything Yorkies vs Resties in which case I will do something about learning the game. I am sure Barney has told me that the rulebooks are available online so we will look into this.

Goodnight all
    Last edited by Buddyben; 10-22-2015 at 15:54. Reason: To welcome Chris to the event.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Default Latest Event Update timed at 16:15 on October 23rd 2015 from Barney.

After deciding I was in the correct mood today to go into town and buy Marion and I a filthy great Stuka I have just returned from Galactic Models with my hands full. As a matter of course Mark updated his range of Corgi Aviation 1/72 diecast models a few days ago and it just so happens that one of those new releases is the Junkers Ju-87 B2 Stuka carrying 9/STG 52 markings. The good thing about all this is I can tell Mark very openly that there's a grumpy b*****d on the loose looking for a filthy great Stuka today. That's the good thing about knowing him for five years and visa-versa: His response to this was that he couldn't see anybody else in the shop - a few in the Gaming Room (Magic players) maybe and that the Stuka was indeed one of the latest releases to come from Corgi Aviation ...

Ended up having a long chat about the latest developments regarding November 29th 2015's event. I told him that we are up to eight - possibly nine attendees so far and though he doesn't normally work Sundays (Rob does) he will make sure he is around on the day we visit. Mark looks forward to welcoming as many of us as possible to the shop and Gaming Room which is still on offer to us free of charge.

EVENT ACTION PLAN: Reg I noted above suggested to Ben that we should continue with our original plan at the original place: Well Said Sir and in total agreement with Reg's suggestion that is exactly what we are going to do. Though Galactic Models which is Mark's pride and joy is experiencing tight finances and opportunity costs stock-wise at times as the result I cannot see him being forced to cease operations: Definitely not over the next six weeks anyway. There will also be no taking advantage of Mark's offer of the Gaming Room. This is a Gaming Event not a Dirty Tricks Campaign and as Mark and I discussed the true spirit of this event is to come along get together and enjoy playing Wings of Glory. With the shop open to the public when we are there we will inevitably receive their attention from time to time. In which case this is when we get to explain what we are doing and publicise the game conveying our general enthusiasm and recommendations towards anybody who shows interest or wants to learn more. The alternative of us all standing round looking miserable with our hands in our pockets would make the general public think that they had just stumbled across a Leonard Cohen gig ...

May I apologise in advance for the fact that BYO alcohol and the playing of loud music at our event are prohibited as the shop is not licensed for either.

However to make up for that Mark will allow us to hook up my laptop to the store's Wi-Fi facility as well as use the big screen facility in the Gaming Room in conjunction with all this. So Paul your Skype plan is a GO.

EVENT CONTINGENCY PLAN: Plan B or all that Let's all pile back to Barn's stuff. In the unlikely event of a bingle involving Plan A (above) Plan B is the contingency option which at least assures us that we still have an event to play. I was originally going to provide us with an alternative venue but now fail to see the point of doing so choosing to have faith in my friend of five years instead. Also being for use in the event of extreme circumstances only Needs Must: But if this is what it takes a workable and practical solution will be made available to our event. Featuring three gaming table tops with ample free parking available 100 yards away and Derby Air Museum in the attic we will still be able to set up the Skype link which Paul suggested. There are no hire charges or BYO alcohol and entertainment license restrictions to contend with. Barney and Marion are both in agreement with this.

Should we have to resort to this venue Aerodrome Members only (plus friends via prior arrangement) will be invited but with three or more of us present it could still be regarded as an Aerodrome Event as opposed to a private gathering. Bearing this in mind the true spirit of this event will still be to come along get together and enjoy playing Wings of Glory. As opposed to sitting round writing soppy love songs all day at an event that looks and feels like someone just bought it from Sh*t'R'Us ...

WINGS OF GLORY PRODUCT AVAILABILITY: Mark has assured me that although he cannot make us a definite promise it is still his firm intention to become a full-time Wings of Glory stockist only for the time being. Starting with the availability of WGF and WGS stock in the shop on the day of the event. This will enable those who sound like they wish to make purchases Ben to do so. The stocking of Sails of Glory products was not discussed most of all because we were too preoccupied with Wings of Glory plus where and where Mark will now begin to publicise this event through the shop's own channels (Facebook Page and Website plus internal shop notice board.) Mark agrees that he does cater for certain markets over others such as the card game Magic and X-Wing / Star Wars plus the latest Corgi Aviation 1/72 diecast models: For an example of one of these beauts see Stuka comments made earlier. But the main factors behind why can IMHO mostly be regarded as external influences such as market forces and game popularity added to which we all have to earn ourselves a living somehow ...

EVENT PROSPECTS AND A.O.B. SECTION: Should this event which is indeed one of the Aerodrome's last UK meet-ups before Xmas 2015 be well attended and successful the one thing we can all be sure of is a repeat. Alongside this Mark and I of course will continue to be friends in the form of another assurance over this event being repeatable: I appreciate the Don't Mix Work With Pleasure stance which Ben has taken in his organisation of everything so far and appreciate why he felt that this was necessary. However our friendship must still receive some accreditation amongst the factors which have contributed towards this event because without it we would not have a venue free of charge for starters! Ben has made an excellent job in assisting me in the organisation of all this but I don't agree that the key to success from now on is uber-pragmatism. More a compromise of normal level pragmatism plus practicality and consideration and conscientiousness towards others who are involved.

We so far have eight confirmed attendees at this event and Paul who is interested in linking up to us on Skype. I'm not overly concerned about the WGF Presence : WGS Presence Ratio there has been talk and advocation of because the fact that both games will be represented well is good enough for me. All things like WGF Presence : WGS Presence Ratios IMHO prove is things like more posh people play WGF than play WGS! In fact it sounds just like something Michael O'Leary has thought up to prove that more posh people fly with Ryanair than British Airways so let's leave that sort of talk well behind ...

Now then: I gather there is a wee plan afoot to form some sort of Yorkshire Squadron and challenge the Rest of The UK to a spot of WGF? If this is true then I totally approve of this and think that the end result would be a great laugh. Despite our event's location in Derbyshire the presence from all over Yorkshire is indeed strong and to show appreciation for making the journey I think this idea is excellent. You may even get a defector as I used to live up near to Holmfirth in West Yorkshire and still miss living there loads! Ardent fan of and committed to WGS like I am I also happen to agree with the opinion that we would have more fun playing WGF in connection with this idea. So in going along with this sentiment I will ensure that Ben and I look at the Rulebook @ Ares Games website and that he at least has a good idea of what to do.

Gentlemen: Mark Marion and I are all looking forward to seeing you at this event. Let's get together and not just make it a good time but a memorable time!

Now then ... Where has that Stuka of mine got to?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Ben
    You can now put me down as a definite and I would be happy to organise a WGF game. Probably 4 x DR.1's v 4 x S.E.5a's so four, or less, a side. I will almost certainly be accompanied by my good friend Doug.
    Regarding your excellent points raised above. Should we not try the Galactic 'venue' before we go about moving to somewhere else? The lack of alcohol doesn't worry me as I have to drive back up to just south of Pontefract so completely sober I will need to be.
    Rebel
    Likewise driving so another sober one here - lets get the gaming / model shop if we can.
    I can run most things WGF - scouts, bombers, two seaters etc. so just let me know

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hello Chris. Your wish is our command - consider this done as I have just got back from Galactic Models.

Further details as to what else has been discussed today have been posted above

Perhaps an insight for the UK North of England Squadron Leader please?

Now then: I gather there is a wee plan afoot to form some sort of Yorkshire Squadron and challenge the Rest of The UK to a spot of WGF? If this is true then I totally approve of this and think that the end result would be a great laugh.

Barney - there is no Yorkshire Squadron - we are part of the Northern England Squadron, there are a growing number of Yorkies (says the Essex boy) but we are but small cogs in a bigger wheel.

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Perhaps an insight for the UK North of England Squadron Leader please?
    Not so long ago in my revised proforma I stated that because I have never served in the armed forces or mastered the rank & file structure on the Aerodrome that all of us are on first name terms at this event. The person whose quote you have highlighted happens to be called Barney and like Myself he is also in charge of the organisation and handling of affairs regarding this particular event.

In reply to the highlighted comment above here is the explanation this deserves from the Pilot in Command:

This Yorkshire Squadron formation has so far never gone beyond being a figure of speech as used by me yesterday. The Yorkshire influence is going to be strong at this event in neighbouring Derbyshire and I thought that this called for a mildly humorous remark such as the one which I made. Barney obviously thinks that this idea would both be fun and also a way of acknowledging the fact that people have travelled to this event: Some from quite some way away. If this plan did ever see the formation of a Yorkshire Squadron it would be a temporary arrangement applicable to this event only as would the formation of the opposing Squadron. If I wasn't losing my sense of humour over the sound of what I have highlighted I may have even suggested dressing me up as Stuart Hall and calling this particular W.G.F. game It's A Knockout!

However I have also now taken note of what Chris has advised Barney above and also since the comment I have highlighted (in all of it's stabbing me in the back between non-attending Members nature) was made.

I'm going to draw Barney's attention to all of this right away as I don't think he is even aware of what has happened here. On behalf of both of us I am prepared to accept that though the Yorkshire Squadron idea temporary that it was in it's nature looked good on paper the matter comes to rest here and will go no further. Guess we will have to find another way of acknowledging the distance the Members attending this event will have travelled in appreciation of them having done so.

What I am not prepared to tolerate is the back-stabbing which appears to be starting amongst non-attending Members. I'll ask Barney to explain whose who just in case there is a rational explanation for what started this all off ...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Latest from Barney.

Re: Trouble Up At T'Mill: The Last Five Postings.

Neil: May I firstly apologise for the way you have been spoken to which was uncalled for. I realise that you are unable to attend this event at which we will all miss you. I would just politely like to point out though that IMHO Perhaps an insight for the UK North of England Squadron Leader please? Gives the impression there is some form of mutiny or factioning taking place. Whereas what was being referred to was actually a tongue-in-cheek suggestion from Ben during a discussion we were having. However this matter has now been closed by Myself.

Chris: Thank you for your advice and contribution made regarding the same subject. Again may I assure you that this is no longer an issue. When this suggestion came up in the conversation it genuinely was not realised that even a joke of this nature may have implications. A learning experience for sure.

Ben: I think that maybe it would be best if I took the controls for a bit ... Also just so happens that Mark has a bit of a bone to pick with you regarding quite a harsh comment you have posted on here yesterday. We will get everything sorted though - BTW Neil (Skafloc) is NOT the back stabbing type. He's both an expert player and a great laugh when you meet him in person like I have.
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-23-2015 at 16:31. Reason: Because I said so.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory with the designer in Rome, 25th of September
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:45
  2. National: Wings of Glory e Sails of Glory a Roma, venerdì 25 settembre
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:23
  3. National: Wings of Glory & Sails of Glory al MACRO giovedì
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 06:08
  4. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27