Thread: Circuits and Bumps I

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    What was Maz flying? Spit or Mustang?
    All you can do mate is keep on keeping on and it will come right eventually.
    Stay safe.
    Reg
    Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc and thank you for the advice - all very much appreciated as I remain determined to stay in the saddle!

Thumbs up

G'day Barney!
    Mate just picked up on the recent posts in this thread.
    Really sorry to hear of your health problems.

All the best for a quick recovery & return to the Skies.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Barry - looking for somewhere to post a spot of brighter news which I have been given regarding my full-time return to the skies ...

If my progress in hospital continues like it has been doing over the last two weeks they envisage me being discharged on or around my birthday - which is February 28th!

I asked if this actually had anything to do with the fact that my quarters are now a 1/72 scale diecast Birdie Farm but no it is to do with my condition bearing up and my positive response to my current medication regime.

MONDAY / Today has been spent on day-leave going and viewing an exhibition in nearby Loughborough all about when a Zeppelin attacked the town in 1916. Well worth a visit. With the rest of my time spent out at home playing a two hour Solitaire game involving a pair of Stukas vs a pair of Spitfires - in fact it ran along the lines of the game I wrote the AAR for called There's Grim ... Very Grim ... and THIS! One Stuka / One Spitfire still in the air when I ran out of time.

Birdie Farm - now home to 1/72 diecast models: 3 x Douglas SBD-3/5 Dauntlesses 3 x Grumman F6F-3/5 Hellcat or Hellcat Mk Is and 2 x Grumman TBF-1 Avengers. Run out of room for now!

If my progress in hospital continues like it has been doing over the last two weeks they envisage me being discharged on or around my birthday - which is February 28th!

Hi Barney, good to see that you are on the mend but in my opinion also a very sneaky way of touting for Birthday Presents!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Barney, good to see that you are on the mend but in my opinion also a very sneaky way of touting for Birthday Presents!
    Hi Reg hope you are well.

OMG yes you are right! I was writing whilst trying to remember the contents of the Birdie Farm ... Whoops!

As a present to myself I'm looking for the last TBM Avenger I am missing from the Corgi Predators 1/72 diecast range - it's the Royal Navy FAA one. Anybody know where I could buy one of these from please?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Bullseye ... As in Spot On! BIG style

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post

What a coincidence Barney, That is exactly 23 days before my birthday. In a normal year it would be 22.
    Be great to see you out and about again my boy.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What a coincidence Barney, That is exactly 23 days before my birthday. In a normal year it would be 22.
    Be great to see you out and about again my boy.
    Rob.
    Thank you Sir - will follow the advice I am given and keep myself on the straight and narrow. That way I could be out and about again by Hammerhead 2016. I don't know what is happening vis-a-vis the clashing event at RAF Cosford and of course Hammerhead symbolically marks one year since my first actual game.

The night watchman who was interested in my SBD Dauntlesses before has just been in to do an inspection as he says. I now have my laptop with me so I showed him some of the recent photos on here to show him what the game looks like in play - I KNEW he had either an interest in WW1 or WW2! His favourite type of aircraft is the Junkers Ju-87 Stuka so we had quite a long chat about Wings of War and the Stukas there. He builds 1/48 scale kits in his spare time

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Exclamation BRING DOWN THAT STAAKEN.

OK, I know this is Circuits and Bumps and in the WW2 section but look back and you'll see how much of a hefty but also welcome WW1 input this thread has. The importance is not the whats though it's the whos ... The factors behind learning the game and those who have wanted to offer contributions from both directions as this thread has burgeoned.

So whose going to bring down the first Zeppelin Staaken? There are a number of threads relating to how this may be possible or manageable but nobody to my knowledge has managed to bring one down yet.

There have been a few bad Staaken puns from me along the way but something I saw today on the PC game Simply Planes has inspired me to offer up this challenge. Because I reckon I have the solution ... But I'm not going to say anything further until I have fully checked the WGF rulebook and looked again at some photos that have been taken of aircraft + kit from a Member in the USA.

If I am right the Staaken will be Goliath. All we need is the WGF answer to David ... Oh and Simply Planes does not have Boom Cards unlike Wings of Glory so I'm talking bringing an aircraft down another way if my theory complies with the rules.

If you want to see the first Staaken to go down, see here:-
    Barney.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...e-Bulldogs-%29

Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

If you want to see the first Staaken to go down, see here:-
    Barney.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...e-Bulldogs-%29

Rob.
    That's the way to do it - Fantastic AAR too Sir.

So there we go - this is the way for all who are wondering to bring down the seemingly invincible Zeppelin Staaken.

My solution was going to be based on firing upwards. Based on the Ninja Star one of Chopper Squad has designed for PC game Simply Planes. Exploit the biggest blind-spot historically that an aircraft had until the advent of the ball-turret during WW2 and even that could be a liability at times. Here is why I emphasised that I had to read the rulebook so thoroughly being a WGS man. Ah well, beaten to it

and if you want to take down the float plane variant:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ent...pter-7-Blighty
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Gentlemen. Thank you for those links about how to bring down a Staaken - I never knew that there were previous renditions available for WGF to the Giants releases as is being proven in these threads.

Fantastic AARs and good old WGF for breathing some new life into this thread!

and if you want to take down the float plane variant:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ent...pter-7-Blighty
    I take it that the sea air has done your MF good then Neil!
    Great to have you posting Squadron Leader.
    Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Exploit the biggest blind-spot historically that an aircraft had until the advent of the ball-turret during WW2 and even that could be a liability at times.
    DUH!

Fell asleep last night and remembered the Junkers Ju-86 which was an early-war medium bomber! Not to mention the underside machine gun the Heinkel HE.111 was equipped with. Junkers 86 aircraft were fitted with a mechanism where the underside gunner faced rearward and was lowered into the slipstream under the aircraft in a movable gunner installation.

Did you also know that the Gotha bomber had a tunnel in the under belly for the gunner to fire down to the rear of the aircraft?
    Rob.

Oh, that could have waited for the table .....

"He is wise who watches"

Should have been at WMMS last year. 24+ Gothas, 2 Freidrichshavens, 2 Staakens and 5 AEG GIV's on the same table!

Gentlemen. Thank you for those links about how to bring down a Staaken - I never knew that there were previous renditions available for WGF to the Giants releases as is being proven in these threads.

Fantastic AARs and good old WGF for breathing some new life into this thread!
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 02-05-2016 at 09:24.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Should have been at WMMS last year. 24+ Gothas, 2 Freidrichshavens, 2 Staakens and 5 AEG GIV's on the same table!
    So I gathered at the time - a possible record breaker if I also remember correctly. Would LOVE to have seen that game in motion

I also was never aware of the Gotha being equipped with anything like that firing tunnel - Jane's All The World Aircraft doesn't give me facts like that. What a classic example of something I would have never been aware of had I never joined the Aerodrome. Where almanacs no matter how comprehensive in comparison still only give you partial knowledge ...

But not for long!

Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Sung to the tune of Coming Round The Mountain ...

There were 30 hostile bombers in the air.
    There were 30 hostile bombers in the air.
    Then the RFC from England, RFC from England.
    RFC from England shot one down ...

There were 29 hostile bombers in the air.
    There were 29 hostile bombers in the air ...

Er, we may be here for some time

Probably only until the Fire Alarm goes, but that's another story.
    Rob.

More like 99 bottles of beer.....but then the final score was 27:7 or something like that in favour of the RFC.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Excellent stats chalked up there. I don't remember these from the time but I definitely remember talk of over thirty bombers on the move in one game at WMMS 2015 and that it was potentially a record ...

Still getting over the fact that the Gothas had a tunnel gunner as opposed to a tail gunner to defend the rear. I really had not got the slightest clue about this before today but as mentioned Jane's doesn't go into this much detail.

Looks like the library is on the cards for me on Monday even though it's miles away. Then I can sneak home for a Solitaire game though it may have to be a quick one if I get bogged down in WW1 books.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

OFFICIAL: As of February 11th 2016 I have begun the joining up process into the Wonderful World of WGF ...

Yes - which means ...

'Well I started out, down a dirty road ...' - Tom Petty.

We get to do most of this thread all over again although now the WGF inputs which there have already been count more than ever. So ... Why Tonx WHY??!

I have seven hours experience playing WGF already and probably over 100 by now playing WGS. But when you come to think about it this is exactly what the Twenty Minuters were probably lucky to have amassed by the time they were sent into action as part of the RFC. It was my recent interest in Airco DH.4s and the Ares Games Giants (Zeppelin Staaken / Handley Page O/400) which sparked this change of heart: So here is to a year of prevailing WGS ardency as we now truthfully look at a brand new second year of me being an Aerodrome Member.

Also inspired by recent talk from fellow members regarding the encouragement of new faces into the game - or Aiding and Abetting New Players as I have referred to it as. Plus off-Aerodrome the effort of my friend from Derby Richard Seville who I played WGF against the other day winning two games during this Session. Richard signed up to the Front six months ago having previously toyed with WGS only ... He will be overjoyed at this news!

There are a number of differences between the two games which on the whole render them incompatible but up until now I have only gone into detail about WGS. The ethos of this posting originally being of course what it is like to begin with a First Solo in a Gloster Gladiator Mk 1 ... To the destruction of a dam in the mighty Avro Lancaster B Mk III Dambuster. What an incredible journey this has been. So far with regard to WGF I have played the Airco DH.4 successfully against the Halberstadt CL.II and earned myself the first Bullseye Award of Doncaster 2015 with an Albatros D.VII. Prior to that I was shot down by Snoopy in the middle of Galactic Models Gaming Night as I played the Red Baron flying the Fokker DR.1 Triplane! So Tripes ... Bristols ... Camels ... Then finally of course Giants: I have all the fun of this fair to come!

So the moral of this one has almost certainly got to be ... Never Say Never.

Glad to see that you have finally seen the light Barney.
    Mind you the light is probably coming from the back of my Camel along with the smoke and fire.
    Kyte.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Glad to see that you have finally seen the light Barney.
    Mind you the light is probably coming from the back of my Camel along with the smoke and fire.
    Kyte.
    Not if we are fighting on the same side Sir ... Because somebody may have just appeared on the front who I think could be about to draw at least some of the firing away from you

I've still got the Bullseye Award from Doncaster 2015 framed on my computer room wall next to the Vickers F. B. 5 Gunbus ... Even though technically it was that collision with CodEyes which brought me down!

Guess we will just have to watch each others backs with a fire extinguisher handy then Barney.
    Kyte.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Guess we will just have to watch each others backs with a fire extinguisher handy then Barney.
    Kyte.
    Very reminiscent of when I was first playing Wings of Glory at Hammerhead 2015 and had Johnbiggles as my live tutor. I think he may have been wondering at what point of the game I would be able to look for the Emergency Checklist or Pilot's Operating Handbook for the Messerschmitt Bf.109E I was flying ... Best part was when I turned to him with a deadly serious look on my face having drawn a fire token and just said NEAREST AIRFIELD! With attempting a crash landing in mind ... John just calmly explained that it doesn't quite work like that in return ... for everything on that day

So how does my WGF Playing Career begin - at this rate looking for the MEL (Minimum Equipment List) and checking fire extinguisher provision versus availability on board. But something's already telling me that it doesn't quite work like that ... Either! As I am about to discover in the brand new Circuits and Bumps II thread where we get to do all this all over again: With the same ethos and the same stage-by-stage documentation in mind - see WW1: Missions for more. Though this thread is about learning WGS what I am hearing is that WGF is a very different beast even if it has been able to support and contribute to this thread. What is also different is that this all came together supported by a ten year interest in WW2 aviation ... I'm having to do so much background reading about WW1 as I await the arrival of my introductory kit-package having not got the backing of previous interest - well only the odd Sopwith Camel and Fokker DR.1 of MS Flight Simulator 2004 to my credit.

So why my decision to switch from being so ardently WGS to playing both: Peer Pressure? No. Bored of WGS? No. Rehab? No. Because I said so - is about the closest to it. Time for a real change although as I play both games simultaneously we will keep this thread very much open and alive ... I may have been playing WGS solidly for one year now but there is no way I could turn round if asked to and say with confidence that I know it all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. Back for a few "circuits and bumps"
    By Volant Gun in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 01:34