Ares Games

Thread: So what do you guys use.....

Hanomag

Default So what do you guys use.....

...to lug around or store your WoW minis (and game)? When you buy enough miniatures, a way to safely move them here and there seems to get problematic.

All thoughts welcome.

-H

Quote Originally Posted by Hanomag View Post
    ...to lug around or store your WoW minis (and game)? When you buy enough miniatures, a way to safely move them here and there seems to get problematic.

All thoughts welcome.

-H
    Well, I've spent so much money on the planes, there isn't much left over for the transport! So I went to thee ole' Walmart and picked up one of the three drawer plastic containers you see here in this pic, upper left...(I think I was watching DogFights that night)

I have two of those full of planes now. I guess I must have gotten all of those planes in that one back then?

Anyway, they don't cost hardly anything. But for travelling, I bought some of that foamy-rubber like padding they sell in the stores with the shelf liners. Sometimes it's in the rug section. It helps rugs get a grip on smooth floors, or you can use it for shelf liners. It comes in a roll.

Whatever, it's inexpensive. Like less than $2.00 USD a roll. Anyway, I cut it to fit in the drawers, so you can travel without the planes sliding all around in the drawers. It works great. A couple pieces of good ole' duct tape to hold the drawers shut while in transit, and it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    This solution might be worth a read.
    Whoa, nice!

Expensive looking too. I'll soon have just over 50 WWI, and I have somewhere just shy of 200 WWII planes. Unfortunately, my loot is going into planes, and that just won't work for me. I need mass storage and travel capacity.

I've looked at some other things to haul my fleet of planes around in, but the good ole' Walmart three drawer containers just work too good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I now have all of my WWI stuff in the two Balloon Buster boxes. I tossed the inserts. All the planes and balloons in one, all the game stuff and cards in the other.

The WWII planes are in the plastic three drawers (x 2), and the cards and everything else is in just one of the Fire From The Sky boxes!

The pegs and bases are the only thing I have to share between the two, and they are in plastic zip lock baggies. That and the matts, which I still haul in the original funky triangle box thingies.

I have a few measuring sticks in with each group, and we don't use the card displays.

Some day, when I run out of planes to spend my loot on, I'm going to try to get something like what the Col. has/shows there. The only draw back I see to that though, is that I have just too many damn planes for them to all be foam packed in like that.

It is cool looking though!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-20-2010 at 19:59.

Impressive collection there, Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Rob... no money left after buying aircraft!

These are available in a national hardware chain for about AU$10-12 (US$9-11). They come with a heap of slide in dividers to make whatever size compartments you like (excuse the quality of the pics - at night with just the ceiling bulb for light).

I removed all the dividers, screwed some 42x19mm pine battens to the bottom, screwed alternating high - low flat-topped steel wood screws and hey presto! No rattling, no movement (all my aircraft have small 'donut' magnets on the bottom for attaching to flight stands). The two large areas at the front of the case hold about 10 flight stands each, or maneuver decks.

Haven't figured out what to use for the twin and four-engined stuff yet!

Regards,
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Impressive collection there, Rob.
    Thank you kindly.

That pic is about a year, maybe even a year and a half old, though.

The collection has grown in the meantime...

Quote Originally Posted by ara398 View Post
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as Rob... no money left after buying aircraft!

These are available in a national hardware chain for about AU$10-12 (US$9-11). They come with a heap of slide in dividers to make whatever size compartments you like (excuse the quality of the pics - at night with just the ceiling bulb for light).

I removed all the dividers, screwed some 42x19mm pine battens to the bottom, screwed alternating high - low flat-topped steel wood screws and hey presto! No rattling, no movement (all my aircraft have small 'donut' magnets on the bottom for attaching to flight stands). The two large areas at the front of the case hold about 10 flight stands each, or maneuver decks.

Haven't figured out what to use for the twin and four-engined stuff yet!

Regards,
    Adrian
    Wow, I love the Tony's! One each, nice. I'm currently working on a pair of Minicraft Tony's, I'll bet those blow the MiniCraft ones out of the water!

I'm starting to get confused on Australian markings and British Far East markings though. Are those Spits (21st Century) Australian markings, or British Far East? Did they come in the twin packs with the Franks?

Too bad 21st went out of business. For the price, they had some pretty cool stuff. I grabbed one each on their P-47B & P-47D Thunderbolts right there at the end, and those miniatures were super!

Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-25-2010 at 20:53.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Rob,
    Did you say that 21st Century Toys went out of business?
    trumpetman52

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

Hi Rob,

Firstly, excuse the crap pics!

yes, the Frank and Spit (also P51s and FW190s) are 21st Century, the Tonys are F-Toys:

RAAF Pacific markings usually have a very dark blue thin outer edge and large white centres. RAF SEAC have a much thicker blue outer ring and smaller white centre (the centre is also sometimes a pale blue) SEAC markings usually have small squadron codes as well.

The particular Spit depicted was flown by Clive "Killer" Caldwell. His exploits include being the highest scoring RAAF ace and the highest scoring P-40 ace in the world.

Recently bought some Takara Me109K-4s - they really are the cream of the crop when it comes to Jap prepaints IMHO.

For Tom:
    I believe C21 stopped production of 1/144 about 18 months ago. I bought the Spit/Frank twin packs from a US dealer's clearout sale for $3 each (Should have ordered more! )

Regards,
    Adrian

RAAF Pacific markings usually have a very dark blue thin outer edge and large white centres. RAF SEAC have a much thicker blue outer ring and smaller white centre (the centre is also sometimes a pale blue) SEAC markings usually have small squadron codes as well.

The particular Spit depicted was flown by Clive "Killer" Caldwell. His exploits include being the highest scoring RAAF ace and the highest scoring P-40 ace in the world.
    The highest scoring P-40 ace in the world?! No kidding!? Does he have a book or something, I'd like to read that if he does or there is one about him! The P-40 has always been "my plane", if you know what I mean. I guess I kinda always identified with it, you know; not that great, but it was there when it was needed. Love that plane...

Nice Spits too, I missed getting those here. So are those Australian, or British Far East markings? In my view, they're Astralian. I've got a piar of P-40Ns by Arii that I'm going to do up as RAAF No. 80, or No. 75 Squadron.

Roger Wilco on here is a super nice guy, from Australia too. I first ran into him on the old, old FFG boards way back when. He was the one that suggested to me to look into the WWII planes in 1/144 scale, and also got me to look at E-Bay as a super source too.

Now those Tony's...I'll bet those are sweet! Those pre-painted kits are just super! Great detail, fantastic paint jobs. I hope to get the time to finish up my two Minicraft Tony's in the next day or two, as I'm off the next two days. I just hope mine come out decent. I bought a pair of the Minicraft kits way before they decided to release the Tony's as pre-paints. I guess I'm just too impatient all around!

Fortunately, I like building and painting kits, and some of mine come out not too bad. There used to be a link in the user sidebar to each users photo albums, I think now you have to go to that persons home page to see them now, but I have a few 1/144 scale WWII planes. Most are the pre-painted kits, but a few old school models too.

I am a certified WWI & WWII aircraft junkie! No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    Rob,
    Did you say that 21st Century Toys went out of business?
    trumpetman52
    As far as I'm aware. At least, that's what a buddy of mine here in C-Bus told me that followed them pretty close.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-27-2010 at 21:55.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

Rob,

Yep the spit is Australian (although the markings are a little off).

Here's a couple of links about Clive Caldwell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Caldwell

http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/fi...tralians/6.asp

Regards,
    Adrian

Rob,

Yep the spit is Australian (although the markings are a little off).

Here's a couple of links about Clive Caldwell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Caldwell

http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/fi...tralians/6.asp

Regards,
    Adrian
    Thanks for the links, good stuff there!

Foobs

There is a book, here is a link.

http://www.blokeystuff.com.au/Produc...=9780733620737

Great book too. Give it a read.

Right now I keep my planes in their original boxes; the boxes then go into an inexpensive plastic tub with a snap-on lid...not too pretty but it works. Check out this thread for a great upcoming storage solution:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...2490#post32490

As promised, here is what I use to carry and organize my miniatures and other assorted paraphernalia.

The first two photos show my Outrider Hobbies Ranger bag. This bag holds two stacks of 9" of foam; enough for ~60 planes, cards and stands. Yes, that is MARPAT (MARine PATtern; a digital camouflage pattern) -- I earned it! I have another bag coming in desert MARPAT -- can't have enough storage space. This bag also carries two of my binders, one with rules and the other with scenarios.

The other pictures show my Plano boxes used for card, peg, and miscellaneous storage. These fit in a gym bag, and keep all of my bits organized and neat. So, with just two bags I am ready to host some serious flying!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2864.jpg   IMG_2865.jpg   IMG_2866.jpg   IMG_2867.jpg   IMG_2868.jpg  

Emma Connelly

Hey, have you seen what these guys are doing by way of custom foam inserts... may be worth a look...

Emma, kind of an old thread. It looks like they can do some neat things... might be pricey though. We do have a complete line of Wings of War foam trays now:

Default My WOW WW1 collection

Having several empty army transport bags from years ago gave me the idea to reuse them. Here's the result. Well most of them that I could get to fit anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collection1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	18442

Name:	collection2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	18441

And my spares:

Name:	spare.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	18443

There is one problem. I have mow completely filled 2 bags and need to expand. Fortunately I have another two but carrying 3 bags is getting painful.

I'm sure you can find someone to help lighten the load if you're feeling overwhelmed.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    This solution might be worth a read.

Jeff I highly recommend this solution. Worth every penny!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I use those home made trays i made for the original deluxe box.

I can fit inside series 1 & 2 an there is even space space for at least 3 planes from series 3.

Or you can check whole process of making it in my album here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=722
    Last edited by Shivaja; 08-02-2011 at 01:38. Reason: preklep

Similar Missions

1. Need some help guys
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 14:32
  2. Site: I did not forget you WWII guys, 5 new avatars for you as well!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 10:13