Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats on your workbench for March 2015!

Default Whats on your workbench for March 2015!

I've been lurking for a while due to the end of the school year, PTC's, Citations, Graduation Ceremony Prep and the works not only for my own kids but 24 little tykes that will be graduating from my class this year. Also what with my son graduating to his own room I've lost my dedicated gaming room first of all for decorating and now because it his room! Damn!

Anyway while I've been afflicted with such trials I have found the time to work on some WWI era models be it 1/32 scale. (it's work but By George its fun!)

From this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11037567_10152832505719247_7277313401184880958_n.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	158690

To this:

Name:	11018363_10152832505764247_537954412839665733_n.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	158689

Name:	10426164_10152832982454247_6185576334129607953_n(1).jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	158691

About 9 hours work so far and only the right side is finished, once the whole fuselage is done the wood will get locked in with gloss varnish and then the post shading and weathering effects will begin.

Your work is outstanding. Going to Cold Wars next week so have to see what I come up with. Just finishing some AIM Sm79's so when I get the decals have to post the photos.

Many thanks Bob, I have a 1/144 scale Felixstowe and some more Albatros sitting on the side lines also but I have to really get into this as its a commissioned build - I'll post another photo of the wing surfaces as they have also been preshaded and awaiting to have lozenge applied.

Here she is!

Name:	10406970_10152833897889247_2536079762363814136_n.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	158693

Name:	10291785_10152833898174247_889417129221152156_n.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	158692
    Last edited by FarEast; 02-28-2015 at 15:26. Reason: updated with photos.

Mrs K. and I are struck dumb by the sheer attention to detail in your work James.
    Anyone who knows me will be astounded that anything can leave me speechless, but your workmanship frequently does, albeit that the odd chuckle of appreciation leaves my lips as I view the next photo.
    All this achieved by an itinerant tradesman thrown out of his workshop is a marvel to behold.
    Please accept my best wishes for your children's Graduation, and also for that of your 24 little Tykes.
    Having been retired for nearly nine years now, I had almost forgotten the frenetic workload associated with the end of the school year, although I do still get the odd nightmare about it.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I love these WIP shots, James - always something to learn when folks share these sorts of pictures. Some day I'll have a Wingnuts plane to call my own, I'm sure!

Unfortunately, my workbench seems to just keep adding things - progress is slow. But my W 29 is progressing, as are my Rumpler repaint and my HB CC. I am resolved to finish them this month!!!

Maybe a couple of more snow days would help?

All the best,
    Matt

Jumpin' jimminy! It's March?!?! Where the hell does the time go?!?!

My workbench has just picked up a dozen Star Trek Attack Wing bases, to which I will be adding my Kettering Bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I love these WIP shots, James - always something to learn when folks share these sorts of pictures. Some day I'll have a Wingnuts plane to call my own, I'm sure!

Unfortunately, my workbench seems to just keep adding things - progress is slow. But my W 29 is progressing, as are my Rumpler repaint and my HB CC. I am resolved to finish them this month!!!

Maybe a couple of more snow days would help?

All the best,
    Matt
    Please, no more snow!!!! 3-5" today and an inch of wintery mix Tuesday
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Same as what was on it in February, which was the same as January.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm with you on that, Karl! We're already making up several days at the end of the school year, and I just came in from shoveling the driveway - 4" of the white stuff, but at least it was fairly light. I'm driving my college-age son back up to Bowling Green today, and I'm not looking forward to it!

I need to get in the swing of using my down time more wisely - I could sure accomplish a LOT more if I did! So many planes, so 'little' time...

All the best,
    Matt

Fubuki mad(e)ness:

I needed 8 Japanese destroyers, having a 2 already and using one of those as a template I cut out 6 more, 1 finished and 5 on the slipways.

Name:	Fubuki madeness 001 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	158741

Name:	Fubuki madeness 003 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	158742

Name:	Fubuki madeness 004 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	158743
    See you on the Dark Side......

Very nice Neil.
    Keep working on these. You don't want to get messed up with painting those nasty little MEs.
    Rob.

ME's haven't arrived yet. So more ships for the IJN on the way.

I fancy a battlecruiser like the Kongo next and a couple of heavy cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Same as what was on it in February, which was the same as January.....
    +1
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

SSDIII repaints. A few DVII and DVas to finish then it'll be a flight of RFC SPAD VII – all repaints from WoG models.

Here is my virtual workbench, all intended for Shapeways:

Name:	HF20small.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	158800
    Henri Farman HF.20

Name:	Zep288-solidSmall.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	158801
    Fully-skinned 1/288 Zeppelin Type P

Name:	DD8progress.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	158802
    Donnet-Denhaut D.D.8 (in progress)

And I think I'd like to do a SPAD 17.

Looking very attractive Daryl.
    Methinks I will have to get a Farman one of these days.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I've been lurking for a while due to the end of the school year, PTC's, Citations, Graduation Ceremony Prep and the works not only for my own kids but 24 little tykes that will be graduating from my class this year.
    You're a schoolteacher in Japan -- dare I ask what level? (I'm just wondering if you need Armored Underwear to fend off the Kancho Drones.... >;) )

Thumbs up

James

That is some impressive modeling!

Rich

Karl and Harry!

We still have piles of snow from the 16th added on to by more last Thursday. I might as well move back to Xenia!!! More in the forecast for this Thursday!!

Rich

This month i have wide variety of projects. All for the WW2 air show at the MAM in May. Some ground, air and rail projects. Plus some odds and ends as the work their way around the work desk!

Rich

The Elves have just presented me with 1/200" drawings for Mavis and Emily flying boats . . . more to pour i am guessing . . . : )
    Last edited by clipper1801; 03-01-2015 at 20:13.

Nieuport 17's , Albatros Dv's , Sop tripes , and about 25 others . Also French, Austrian, Italian, German , Russian, British 1/72 armies for a WW1 skirmish game

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The Elves have just presented me with 1/200" drawings for Mavis and Emily flying boats . . . more to pour i am guessing . . . : )
    I wish I knew what happened to the H8K models I bought a while back (they came in a pack with G3Ms).

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post

Very cool! I can't wait to see it!

My virtual workbench has a Gunbus, a Pfalz D.III, and a Pfalz D.VIII, and... well... there is a long list of stuff that I have started and never finished.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post

Very cool! I can't wait to see it!

My virtual workbench has a Gunbus, a Pfalz D.III, and a Pfalz D.VIII, and... well... there is a long list of stuff that I have started and never finished.

Not physical models yet, but in talks with Keith and Ares about an Official Game Accessory line of handpainted-by-me ground targets for the Anchorage Store. I need to work up a post to elaborate and do further research, but... how many of y'all would be interested in something like this?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm not into "Sails" yet, Karl, but I'm sure that's in the works down the road......and while I like to make my own scenery, I would love to NOT have to...

All the best,
    Matt

Test run of the 'turned' aluminum effect found on the Fokker Einderks. I will remove this and then try airbrushing the XF-16 base coat on and then hand painting the X-11 chrome effect. (It was hand painted in this run)

Also I will try to get the lines even finer.

Name:	10982892_10152840729204247_7719611851171011314_n.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	158849

Harry, any guesses what scheme this is going to be????

I did this long ago on aluminum tape and used a fine tipped eraser mounted on an electric eraser, the effect was very good, but that was on 1/32" scale model . . . your efforts look GRAND!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I was looking at Eindecker profiles the other day, James, and remember seeing this 'squiggly' pattern - but for the life of me I don't remember whose plane it was. I just checked the Wingnuts page, but almost all of the versions there have a patterned cowling and cockpit surround of some sort. But their versions don't quite match what you're doing. But I HAVE seen this recently...

Looking forward to watching your progress.
    All the best,
    Matt

All Eindeckers were finished this way. The profile I will paint......look left!

The elves are just putting the finishing touches on a swarm of Swordfish . . . fictitious squadron I am sure.

Yet to number, group blue

Group Greens

And the gaggle of gliders:

And along follows the TB-3's

Busy these elves : )
    Last edited by clipper1801; 03-03-2015 at 22:42.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Dave, the elves HAVE been busy - lucky man to have so many industrious helpers!! They look wonderful You continue to amaze me with the volume and types you turn out - simply wonderful!

Silly me, James - I wasn't even THINKING you might model your avatar! It will look spectacular in 1/32nd scale. I knew about the metal on the Eindecker being that way, but artists usually don't go all out with the squiggle design - but I was looking at a profile online somewhere that DID have that definitely squiggled finish depicted. No matter - I'm excited to see your avatar come to life in a larger scale.

Looks like I better be a bit more industrious myself this month!

All the best,
    Matt

I need to blend in the Fox-Trot decal, and do some touch-up, but it is just about done.

I'm running out of appropriate sized decals!!!

This FB.19 will have to go without underwing decals, since I need the last two for the red-cowled kite.

They look a real treat John.
    I especially like Fox Trot. A Belgian machine makes a pleasant change.
    What size and type under decals do you need for the plane.
    I may be able to dig out something if you are stuck.
    Rob.

Had a slow week at work due to breathing problems, so what to do? Get those elves busier!

YB-40's, B-17F, B-17G, B-24J's, P-38's, P-47 repaint, Me-109E's, Me-109F's, FW-190A . . . so it went Thursday and Friday!

Still need individual markings and guns and props . . .

YB-40s? Did somebody say YB-40s? How much for a complete Bomber Box of three?

BTW, you might wanna check your wing markings... should be Top Left, Bottom Right if it's not from the "top/bottom both sides" period. (TL/BR came in with the side bars, if memory serves.)

I just finished up Donald Maclaren's camel. I think the next project will be Guido Keller's plane.

Thread for Keller: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ghlight=keller

Definitely and interesting fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    YB-40s? Did somebody say YB-40s? How much for a complete Bomber Box of three?

BTW, you might wanna check your wing markings... should be Top Left, Bottom Right if it's not from the "top/bottom both sides" period. (TL/BR came in with the side bars, if memory serves.)
    Your memory serves us well! Just in time to swap them over before the clear sealer! THANKS! It was just on the B-17's - the rest were correct : )

David you must take it easy. This is astounding work for someone who isn't recovering like you, but amazing all the same.

Exquisite work as usual Dave, but what Neil says is quite right.
    Listen to your body talking and not the Elves.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

David

That is an amazing display of production!

Rich

Completed external metal parts and also made a start on the cockpit interior.

Name:	E.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	159127

The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!

Thanks to Zoe for the skull and crossbones decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    They look a real treat John.
    I especially like Fox Trot. A Belgian machine makes a pleasant change.
    What size and type under decals do you need for the plane.
    I may be able to dig out something if you are stuck.
    Rob.
    Thanks, and thanks for the offer. I need a bunch from a variety of nations, so it is a good time to place a large order from one of our decal vendors.

Bomber away! Found companion colors for the "Bit o' Lace" from Ares and could not resist!

Fuddy Duddy

and D-Day Doll

Then I came across "Little Miss Mischief

The Shamrock Special in the back and Double Trouble in the front

Added some nose art to one of the Waco's

And found a way to use up a badly mangled Me-109! Just could not throw it away . . . now it is deck candy for the Hornet!

If one has a crane it is good to use it . . .

Well you got my attention again with those aircraft.
    Then when I had finished ogling the paint jobs and thought I was about finished you gave me a great lift.
    Well done that man.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well you got my attention again with those aircraft.
    Then when I had finished ogling the paint jobs and thought I was about finished you gave me a great lift.
    Well done that man.
    Rob.
    Love your sense of humor!

Here is part two of the Bomber painting extravaganza! A pair of B-17C's

A fortress family that flies together . . .

The current Liberator family

In splendid silver we have American Beauty, Air Pocket, and Barbara Jean . . .

And in colors, Leo, Calamity Jane, and the Naughty Angel

Next up are the Halifax's and the TB-3's . . . what's this? Five Blenhiems and two SB2 Russian Bombers? Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Love your sense of humor!

A fortress family that flies together . . .

Right on Dave, and we all know that a family that flies together.............. plays together.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Whats on your workbench for Febuary 2015!
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 02-28-2015, 15:19
  2. Whats on your workbench for January 2015!
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 08:19
  3. Whats on your workbench for December?
    By FarEast in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 13:25
  4. Whats on your workbench for November?
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 18:50
  5. Whats on your workbench for August?
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 13:42