Default OTT The Early Years Mission 9 Last gasp at the Somme

RFC
    Lt Ron Curtis. Nieuport
    Lt James Flinch. Morane

Central Powers.
    Ltn Just Alb (MVR)
    Ltn Kairies Alb
    Ltn Ungewitter Halb

" What do you mean you can only get 2 bloody planes in the air today" The CO bellowed at his Chief Mechanic. " Wing want 3 to cover the advance What do I tell them when we show up with only 2 to protect their new toys on the front eh ?"

" No spares and no replacement kites Sir, I can only fix what planes I have with the parts I have stripped from the right offs . As for putting 3 Neuiports in the air...... " The Sgts voice tailed off

"Do your best man, I will send off another request today" Whose planes can you get i the air ?"

"Lts Curtis and Flinch sir"

"I will inform them , get the planes thoroughly checked and ready to go in 30 mins" The CO turned and walk slowly towards the Mess. "2 yrs in and you would think HQ could organise logistics by now" He muttered to himself
    40 km away on the other side of NML The CO of the forward Jasta was having a similar dilemma.

" I have only 1 Albatros, possibly 2 and a Halb that are airworthy Sir"
    " Get them in the air , those British bath tubs are pushing forward and have to be stopped now , today, understand? '
    A curt click of the heels and a "Jawohl " ended the discussion.
    " 2 yrs of fighting this war and you would think HQ could organise a few spares to be shipped to the front." The CO turned and headed for the solace of a Schnapps bottle.

Flinch gazed down at the slowly lumbering leviathans with their troop support scurrying around behind them like. "Like ants following woodlice" he mused. His attention snapped back abruptly as Ron dipped his N 17 wings in quick succession and pointed ahead. 3 low flying planes cast a eerie shadow over the German trenches as they headed at full speed at the woodlice, apparently oblivious to the RFC planes above them'

Move 1
    Keeping to the left of the German plaes The 2 RFC pilots increase their speed to intercept them,passing over the tanks as they lumber through NML and on towardsthe German lines. Curtis closes to almost within range of the Albatros flown by Kairais but resisted the temptation to fire.

Move 2

Kairais appeared to be oblivious to the Nieuport and cotinued towards the ground forces. Ron deliberately stalls his plane, allowing the Albatros to pass in front of his guns. A short burst clips the Germans fuselage(1)

Ron then dives and turns behind the German planes. Flinch follows his wing in a starboard turn firing a long burst at Kairais. The bullets tore into its tail and the Albatros twisted violently to the right flicking its pilot out of his cockpit before spiraling into the German deserted trenches (XP)

The remaining German planes dove to get closer to their targets, the tanks.The Halbs first shots bounce harmlessly off a tin can, Just, in the second Albatros saw the infantry fall before his fire (1) and a second burst at a tank saw his bullets ignite an ammunition cart it was pulling, the resulting blast throwing the tank over on its side, the flames quickly engulfing it (XP. 4)
    Ungewitter salvo failed to make any impression on the woodlouse on this occation, but swinging left a short burst had the desired result. Another tank came to an abrupt halt, smoke pouring from its engine. (3+eng)
    Move 3
    Flinch latches on to Justs tail but is too high to shoot and drops his nose, pulling back on the throttle. Ron Curtis levels out and begins to haul in on the 2 remaining Hun. Unger strafes the infantry breaking through the front (4)decimating them.

Just takes a bead on Flinch but he is higher and the bullets fly short of their target (0) before he passies under the Morane

Move 4

Ungewitter continues to harry the infantry behind the damaged tanks (2)

Ron dives as the Halb stals and rakes another Tank in the 3rd column to great effect (1+Smoke

) Just turns to attack the extreme end of the attacking line,firing as it closes only to have his guns jam.
    A quick glance rearward reveals Flinch bearing down on his tail.

Move 5

With guns jammed Just begins a port turn to get away from the pursuing Morane. Ungewitter Immells and Curtis turns to met him only to pass by his port wing

Finch, misjudging his opponent turns the opposite way.
    Move 6
    With Just now on the tail of the Morane he presses home the advantage , throttling up his Albatros Flinch Immels his fragile plane to counter the threat coming out higher than the Albatros .Ron also Immells aiming to catch the Halb out of position but ends up parallel with Ungewitter

who strafes the last few troops again but a bullet jams after a short burst (1+GJ)

Move 7
    Flinch looked down as Just flashed beneath him.

The advance at this point was progressing well with the tanks bouncing over the wire, the troops sticking to them like limpets for protection. But in the centre and right wing tanks were stopped and Infantry were hesitant. Ungerwitter was doing immense damage and intended to do more as he dived and turned,his guns freed.

Just fires a stuttering burst before jamming again (0+GJ) Ron turns against the Halb but his shots stream passed the German (0)
    Move 8
    With both German planes trench hopping Ron drops altitude as he watches Flinch circle to get back in the fray.
    The blue Halb fires 2 long bursts at the squads of infantry moving passed the destroyed tank killing and wounding them almost to the man (2+Fire, 3)

Just swings round as Curtis come from his right and Flinch finds himself above and almost behind Ungewitter.

Move 9
    The remaining tanks and troops pour through to their objectives. Flinch fires at Ungewitter, peppering his wing from above (4)

Just gets The N17 in his sights and Curtis felt a sharp pain as a bullet hit his chest others smashing his instruments and dials as they passed through the cockpit (0,5+pilot).

Flinch follows hard on the heels of the Halb hitting him again(3) before Ungewitter manages to break away .

Their task complete and low on fuel and ammo the 2 remaining Germans wheel about and return to base.

Result

RFC

Lt Ron Curtis WIA/RTB
    AI Lt James Flinch RTB 1 kill

Army forces

3 tanks lost
    2 Inf units

Germans

Ltn Just Alb RTB
    Ltn Kairies Alb SD/XP
    Ltn Ungewitter Halb RTB
    All AI

Rolls required for Curtis and Kairies please

Ungewitter was outstanding, killing vast amounts of infantry and a couple of tanks. Ron as usual copped for a bullet and Flinch got the only kill and did a fair bit of damage to the Blue peril. I could have quite happily played on with Ron heading for home and Flinch pursuing Ungewitter but rules is rules and that was move 9.

Lovely little scenario Peter, one might say just the Ticket.

Ps Forgot the AAR tag at the beginning of the title sorry.

"
    Last edited by flash; 03-03-2015 at 11:09.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Unfortunate end for Ltn Kairies and his Albatros!

And I'm cetain the PBI were plenty happy seeing Ungewitter's tail... they'd had more than enough of what he was serving. It's too bad that Flinch wasn't able to reel him in during the time allotted.

Well-paced AAR, Paul. Nicely done.

These tanks are really vulnerable to air attack aren't they - that's three destroyed in my mission and three in yours.

Great AAR Paul Shame about Ron's wound but I'm sure the Doc will have him back in the air in no time at all

Thumbs up

Another Somme scrumball!

Again the cards favoured the German fliers in their efforts against those tanks.
    Hope Mr Curtis will survive his wounding.

Nicely played Paul!

By the way you can add the "AAR" to your Post by going into "Go Advanced" in Edit & putting it in the Title.

Well your German adversaries finally scored, luckily on the tanks and not your planes. Well played sir!

Bathtubs ! ...flicking its pilot out of his cockpit... Priceless !! Great AAR Paul, neatly scaled back too; those Jerries really knew what they were about, the boys certainly had their hands full !

Lt Ron Curtis WIA/RTB/0kills: Rolled 8 +3RTB -1WIA = 10 - All well when you land well ! (phew!)

Ltn Kairies: Rolled 3... +1 FT... -3 Exp... = 1 KIA (flicking out of the cockpit !)

Ltn Just was flying against M.O 's orders He is grounded & restricted to quarters for the next mission !
    Last edited by flash; 02-28-2015 at 23:44.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Ltn Just was flying against M.O 's orders He is grounded & restricted to quarters for the next mission !
    That Just goes to show what happens when you ignore the M.O.'s orders!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That Just goes to show what happens when you ignore the M.O.'s orders!
    *groan* really did you have to go there Baz?

Thanks for the roles Dave. Just was a bit keen but I will make sure Ron Curtis stays in bed forthe required number of missions.

Great AAR PAul, like I said to Brian..can we borrow your AI pilots? They seem to be having more success than our own!

Loved the pics and the dialogue. Keep em coming, especially the ones where the CP come out on top (remind you of Sunderland a little?)
    See you on the Dark Side......

A very enjoyable little fracas Paul.
    I think your lads did very well to hold their own against those experienced Huns.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Great AAR PAul, like I said to Brian..can we borrow your AI pilots? They seem to be having more success than our own!

Loved the pics and the dialogue. Keep em coming, especially the ones where the CP come out on top (remind you of Sunderland a little?)

Thanks Rob Considering just was flying when he should have been in the hospital I consider myself fortunate.

Just fortunate or fortunate Just(ly)?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    *groan* really did you have to go there Baz?
    Got to take the opportunities when they present themselves Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Thanks for the roles Dave. Just was a bit keen but I will make sure Ron Curtis stays in bed forthe required number of missions.
    No probs Paul, not the first time the MO has been ignored - I was thinking we should add a rule that such pilots have to roll for being WIA even if they get back - busted their stitches open or some such ?! Maybe a little harsh though.

AAR Prefix added - if you forget just edit and Go Advanced to access the titles etc
    Last edited by flash; 03-03-2015 at 11:11.

Well played Paul, some great photos and lots of action, thanks for posting.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-14-2015, 06:59
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:52
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:46
  4. AAR Early Doors Mission 9--Last Gasp of the Somme--52 Sqd--gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:35
  5. BRF Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 12:00