Ares Games

Thread: Early Doors Scenario 9 - Last Gasp Of The Somme 15 Sept 1916 (Archidamus - Entente)

Default Early Doors Scenario 9 - Last Gasp Of The Somme 15 Sept 1916 (Archidamus - Entente)

On the morning of the 15th Captain Frank Palmer briefed the two pilots assigned to him for the morning's sortie. He told Fred Styles and Algy Gates that their mission was to protect the new Entente super-weapons (called tanks for some reason that escaped him) as they drove the Germans back.

Fred and Algy were assigned two of the squadron's Nieuport 17's, but after his past experience with the type Frank refused a third and preferred his trusty DH2. Thirty minutes later they were across the main German trenches and approaching the tanks, which were about to breach the enemy's reserve trench line along with their supporting infantry battalions. In the distance Frank spotted five Hun machines approaching - he wasn't certain, but two looked like the new Halberstadt machines, and another looked like the Fokker bi-plane, but there were two he couldn't recognise.

Rocking his wings, he led his wingmen towards the enemy, passing over the tanks as they breached the trench-line.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo02.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	158625

Flying towards the British breakthrough attack, Oberltn Hans Hubner was flying one of the new twin-gunned Albatros fighters, accompanied by Albert Hahn in the only other Albatros the Eagles had received to date. Karl Fleischer and Georg Treiber were flying two Halberstadt machines, whilst Erich Jensen had been given Hans' old Fokker DII. His briefing to all the pilots had been forceful and clear - the priority targets were these British super-weapons (whatever they were) and the infantry supporting them! Even if enemy scout planes turned up, they were to concentrate on breaking up this dangerous breakthrough on the ground.

As the Bulldogs closed with the enemy Frank realised that there were definitely two examples of a previously unseen type .

Then the two lines of machines flashed through each other, exchanging shots.

Frank targeted the Halberstadt piloted by Treiber, and was rewarded by the sight of flames trailing the enemy machine. He did not escape unscathed, however, and the DH2 began to trail smoke.

Name:	Photo04.jpg 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	158626

Algy engaged the Halberstadt piloted by Fleischer at close range, with both pilots landing telling hits on their opponent.

Name:	Photo05.jpg 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	158627

Fred found himself facing the Fokker of Jensen and the Albatros piloted by the fearsome Hubner. As he exchanged shots with the Fokker both machines began to trail flames! Although Hubner's burst passed just astern of his machine Fred was horrified to realise that the new enemy machine mounted two machine guns!

Name:	Photo03.jpg 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	158628

Having passed through the Bulldogs all of the Eagles targeted ground targets, with Hubner, Hahn and Jensen shooting up some of the supporting infantry, whilst Treiber and Fleischer shot up the tanks - but with no appreciable effect. Meanwhile, Frank Immelmanned and continued his attack on Treiber's Halberstadt until his gun jammed on the final rounds in the Lewis's pan.

Name:	Photo06.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	158629

Name:	Photo07.jpg 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	158630

As Treiber, Jensen and Styles began to weave their respective planes to combat the flames they met with varied success. Treiber managed to keep the flames at bay, but both Jensen and Styles saw their planes consumed by flames

Name:	Photo08.jpg 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	158631

Karl Fleisher manoeuvred his plane into position and made another pass at some infantry with some success, but the Eagles were finding out how difficult it was to keep slow-moving ground targets in their sights.

Name:	Photo09.jpg 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	158632

The Eagles found themselves clear of opposition as the Bulldogs were caught out of position. Georg Treiber managed to mow down all of the infantry behind one of the monstrous tanks, although his gun jammed at the end of the extended burst. Albert Hahn also wiped out the infantry following another tank, and then Hubner's twin machine guns found a weakness in one of the tanks, and it ground to a halt as smoke poured from every opening!

Name:	Photo10.jpg 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	158633

Fire continued to consume all three planes that were on fire - Jensen, realising that his Fokker was in danger of disintegrating, broke for home and safety.

Fred Styles watched the flames consuming his Nieuport with some nervousness as he remembered Frank Palmer's comments about how fragile they were. Unfortunately, this became a moot point as he traded shots with Hahn's Albatros. Hahn's burst tore the Nieuport from the sky, and wounded Fred in the process - although his return fire also shredded the Albatros machine. Karl Fleischer also got in a burst at the Nieuport, but the damage had already been done. Fred staggered from the wreck of his machine, and was rescued by British troops following up the breakthrough.

Both Eagles' guns did jam however.

Name:	Photo11.jpg 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	158634

While Hubner targeted another tank to no effect Frank managed a burst at Treiber's Halberstadt and was rewarded by the sight of it spiralling into the ground

Name:	Photo12.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	158635

Palmer now managed to get on to the tail of Hahn's machine, and shredded his tail and rudder - but the Eagles continued to press home their attacks on the tanks and infantry. Hubner's twin machine guns caused more casualties amongst a tank's supporting infantry.

Name:	Photo13.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	158636

He then targeted another tank, and was rewarded by the sight of another monster slewing to one side and grinding to a halt just as his guns jammed - followed by a massive explosion as it's ammunition blew up. Jensen attacked the infantry whose tank Hubner had previously disabled, but then he was past the fight and put his nose down to get to safety.

Name:	Photo14.jpg 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	158637

Frank's pursuit of Hahn ended as he emptied his second pan of ammunition into the Albatros - he was rewarded by the sight of Hahn jerking in his cockpit as one of the rounds creased his shoulder

Name:	Photo15.jpg 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	158638

Undeterred, Hahn attacked another group of infantry and wiped them out, and then Fleischer followed Jensen and attacked the orphaned infantry, wiping them out.

Name:	Photo16.jpg 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	158639

Hubner and Hahn both attacked more enemy tanks to little effect - but Hahn's concentration on his ground target allowed Algy Gates to pummel his Albatros with a long-ranged burst of fire....

Name:	Photo17.jpg 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	158640

..... then the two machine made a close approach, trading bursts of fire. Algy felt a burning sensation in his left leg as Hahn's fire hammered the Nieuport, but watched with satisfaction as the last rounds from his Lewis' drum tore the Albatros from the sky (little did he realise that he had also wounded Hahn for a second time, but he was later to learn that British troops had pulled the severely injured pilot from the wreckage, and he was recovering in captivity).

Name:	Photo18.jpg 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	158641

For several minutes the remaining combatants manoeuvred for position and drew breath, then the Eagles recommenced their attacks on the tanks and infantry below.

Karl Fleischer's attacks on the tanks had little effect, and then his gun jammed. As he began the process of clearing the stoppage Frank opened fire, causing some damage to the Halberstadt but jamming in turn.

Name:	Photo19a.jpg 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	158642

Meanwhile, Hans Hubner mounted another attack on some infantry and wiped them out with an extended burst of fire

Name:	Photo20.jpg 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	158643

With fuel and ammunition running low all four remaining combatants turned towards home. As they turned both Hubner and Fleischer took a last chance to attack the remaining ground targets - Fleischer's burst scattered some more infantry, whilst Hubner's last attack crippled a third tank. He was later to learn that the British attack stalled following the destruction of three of their super weapons!

Name:	Photo21.jpg 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	158644

THE BUTCHER'S BILL

The Tanks and Infantry - three tanks destroyed, five infantry support groups wiped out

Name:	Photo22.jpg 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	158645

Erich Jensen, Fokker DII: RTB / - / 0 kills

Name:	Photo23.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	158646

Karl Fleischer, Halberstadt DIII: RTB / - / 0 kills, 1 Infantry Support wiped out

Name:	Photo24.jpg 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	158647

Georg Treiber, Halberstadt DIII: SD FLM NML / - / 0 kills 1 Infantry Support wiped out
    Crash Roll: 11 -2FLM -1NML = 8 Bruised Skip 1 Scenario
    E&E Roll: 9 -1FLM +1NML = 9 They Didn't Even See Me
    Total Miss 1 Scenario

Name:	Photo25.jpg 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	158648

Albert Hahn, Albatros DI: SD NML / 2 WND / 1 Kill, 2 Infantry Supports wiped out
    Crash Roll: 7 -1SD -2WND -1NML = 3 Severely Injured Skip 1d6 Scenarios Rolled 1
    E&E Roll: 3 -3WND +1NML = 1 Captured, The War Is Ended For This Pilot

Name:	Photo27.jpg 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	158649

Hans "Tank Killer" Hubner, Albatros DI: RTB / - / 0 kills, 3 Tanks destroyed, 1 Infantry Support wiped out

Name:	Photo26.jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	158650

Algy Gates, Nieuport 17: RTB / 1 WND / 1 Kill
    Roll: 10 +3 Aerodrome Landing -1 WND = 12 All's Well

Name:	Photo28.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	158651

Fred Styles, Nieuport 17: SD FLM NML / 1 WND / 0 Kill
    Crash Roll: 8 -2FLM -1WND -1NML = 4 Severely Injured Skip 1d6 Scenarios Roll 3
    E&E Roll: 11 -2WND -1FLM +1NML = 9 They Didn't Even See Me
    Total Miss 3 Scenarios

Name:	Photo29.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	158652

Frank Palmer, DH2: RTB / - / 1 Kill

Name:	Photo30.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	158653

Thanks for a great scenario Peter - even if it was a little complex to run Sorry I had to vary the planes a little - I only have two Halbs so decided to sub a Fokker DII which I don't think changed the balance any - and obviously had to sub a DIII for a DI and a Nieuport 16 for an N17. Palmer stuck with his DH2

I am really glad that Hubner was shooting at ground targets in this one - he was on fire (get it ) and stopped the advance with his tank-killing skills to rack up a victory for the CP. I wonder if the Kaiser will take note of his success?

As usual, flames were everywhere!
    Last edited by Archidamus; 02-28-2015 at 03:48.

Thumbs up

Holy Toledo! What a furball that was.
    Incredible action Brian & the Huns certainly made your Tommies pay for the ground won.
    Well played mate. Just goes to show how the Card Gods control the results.

I would give you Rep for that but have to spread it around first!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just goes to show how the Card Gods control the results.
    Great AAR, Brian! Apparently, the Gods deemed that there wasn't enough fire in the world! Hard fought win for the Central Powers...

Top marks old son - that was how it's done - are you sure you're on the Entente side ?!!
    Palmer keeps up his personal tally of at least one kill per mission - Hubner still seems unstoppable - Shame his wing man Hahn went down but at least he's alive & he earned the Iron Cross 2nd class this time out Well done sah !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quite the battle Brian. Brought that one down to the wire!

Your Fokker DII is the same as a Halb -1 hit point so great substitution. I almost used mine but since in the last battle they were all shot down (two booms!) I went with the Halbs.

Sad to see the Hahn-Hubner team broken up. Maybe an escape/rescue mission in the future?

Not allowed to give REP now but will when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    are you sure you're on the Entente side ?!!
    There were times when I was sure that the Card Gods weren't

Had the same trouble with the dice in a force on force game this week ! Damn REP gun's jammed

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sad to see the Hahn-Hubner team broken up. Maybe an escape/rescue mission in the future?
    I hope so - I was really put out by the poor dice roll for his E&E. So here's hoping for an escape or maybe a prisoner exchange?

Stonking game Brian. Not enough fire me thinks What a hero Palmer is in his little DH2 Well done that man.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Another cracker Brian. Would you like to change sides and fly for the CP?

If not may we borrow your AI pilots as they seem to be doing better than our own!
    See you on the Dark Side......

A reet good brawl ther old chap.
    Well done to all the adversaries. Brave pilots from both sides of the wire.
    I loved your intro contrasting the two commanders attitude to a similar event.
    Luckily i can give a bit of rep.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Another cracker Brian. Would you like to change sides and fly for the CP?

If not may we borrow your AI pilots as they seem to be doing better than our own!
    I'll stick with the Bulldogs - although I do wonder how many Weetabix the CP pilots had for breakfast before this outing

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    I'll stick with the Bulldogs - although I do wonder how many Weetabix the CP pilots had for breakfast before this outing
    Right Brian.
    Next Brief. Bomb the German Weetabix factory.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Right Brian.
    Next Brief. Bomb the German Weetabix factory.
    Kyte.
    Rob
    Isn't that next to the Bratwurst factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Rob
    Isn't that next to the Bratwurst factory?
    You got it in one Brian.
    Rob.

Can't you Tommies do Wurst than that?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Can't you Tommies do Wurst than that?
    Hopefully that's the Wurst we get!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hopefully that's the Wurst we get!
    I doubt it Baz. Somme things never improve.
    Rob.

That was a real ding dong of a battle Brian, fires , explosions and a good result. What more could you ask for? Ein grossa bier bitter maybe (sorry for the bad spelling )

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-14-2015, 06:59
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:46
  3. BRF Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 12:00
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:55
  5. Replies: 25