Ares Games
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wings of Glory "Giants of the Sky" Kickstarter

Nice one James
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Nice idea, but it should be affordable...
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Both of them look aweseome.

I'm afraid of the shipping cost to Germany, but here I can't resist I'm afraid.

I'm not shure if this is a Kickstarter "exclusive" or if we later get the chance to buy those in the shops like the SoG games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hopefully they will make the project EU friendly so the postage will not be too excessive and we don't get hit customs too
    Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    I second that hope - although even if not it probably won't stop me adding them to the collection.
    I might be able to help out in this regard for you guys... I'll work up some details and PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Congratulations guys. I hope this doesn't mean the WW2 stuff is being put on the shelf for a while.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I spoke to God and he listened.....
    But probably not in the form that you are hoping for.... at least net yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post

But probably not in the form that you are hoping for.... at least net yet.
    Confucius, him still inscrutable.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

This is all very well, and I'm as excited as the next men (and right now I appear to be next to Kyte), but....

How the hell are we going to make gimbals for these?!

[...unless we can design something using 3D printing... ]

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    This is all very well, and I'm as excited as the next men (and right now I appear to be next to Kyte), but....

How the hell are we going to make gimbals for these?!
    I might have it sorted already

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I intend to KICKstart the crap out of this project!
    I'm definitely in but I don't want to get any of the planes you may damage!

They look really nice, I'm in

Red Engines better to hide the fire!

Excellent find, will have to keep an eye on this one.

I'm not shure if this is a Kickstarter "exclusive" or if we later get the chance to buy those in the shops like the SoG games?
    I'm also interested if these will make it to retail as well.

Seems that the Fokker Dr.1 fits throught the outer wing struts between the wings of the Zeppelin Staaken.

Any test pilots here?

Yes, they will be sold via retail channels after the KS, but I'm expecting them to sell out quick due to a lower production run (an assumption on the production numbers based on past experience).

As far as night lozenge and red engines, I can only point you to how other bombers have been released in the past....

Seems that the Fokker Dr.1 fits throught the outer wing struts between the wings of the Zeppelin Staaken.

Any test pilots here?
    When I was in high school I went up to the EAA Fly In (worlds largest airshow) and bought a white shirt that bold black letters on the back that read "TEST PILOT". On the front it had a pic of the Stealth bomber and the words "Stealth Condoms". lol It even came with a little cardboard stealth bomber with three condoms in it. It was really funny and cool to a high school boy at the time. lol

For those wondering about the size, if you have a balloon boxed set an R.VI will fit inside of it.

They are big ones indeed. Although I hope to have a couple in my hanger someday, I was curious what points on these will be. I'm wondering just how many scouts you would need to bring to the fight in hopes to bring one of these big boys down.

I'm of mixed feeling about these. I barely get play time in now, and the big WW1 bombers usually operated at night, for good reason.
    If I got any, I'd want a couple of each, but would probably try to fly them like WW2 bombers, so ahistorical, though probably fun.
    On the other hand, I don't want to miss out......

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    I was curious what points on these will be. I'm wondering just how many scouts you would need to bring to the fight in hopes to bring one of these big boys down.
    The cards are in the Flight of the Giants box set; if no one else chimes in, I'll look and post tomorrow.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

XA Deck 34 Damage, Alt 9 (10 in stats doc), Climb rate 8 in FotG.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    XA Deck 34 Damage, Alt 9 (10 in stats doc), Climb rate 8 in FotG.
    That's why I usually fly three "Biffs" against one. You need coordinated attacks to split its fire power plus enough spare damage points to have a chance to wear it down with 34 to go at. B/A firing "Biffs" flown sensibly have a fair chance unless the luck runs against them. Remember that yo know where the Staaken is heading more or less and it ain't going to make any sudden changes of direction.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

... I'm wondering just how many scouts you would need to bring to the fight in hopes to bring one of these big boys down.
    Like the big WW II birds you can't bring this beast down by engine damage or fire. (Maybe the Handley Page with 2 engines easier then the Staaken with 4 engines and engineers on board who can fix the machines - (see Flight of the Giants rulebook!)

I prefer the official optional "extended crew damage" rule.

... I'm wondering just how many scouts you would need to bring to the fight in hopes to bring one of these big boys down.
    Like the WingCo wrote: The Bristol Fighter would be my first choice (I have the one with the shaded RAF roundels) or in general a good mixture of two-seaters and scouts.

I'm shure that we'll see more planes of the British Home Defence or RNAS like the Sopwith 1/2 Strutter*, Sopwith Pub or the FB.12 types.

*planed for WGF series 9

By the way:

My contribution for the actual raffle is a RNAS No. 10 squadron B flight Camel. Perfect to fight the Staaken over the Channel's coasts.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 02-28-2015 at 02:17.

LOOP

Never participated in any kickstarter Before but this one will be my first, definitely!
    I have just found me some WoG-buddies and we play once every fortnight.
    I would really like to play a bomber-armada senario with them. And a Staaken or a HP would be the the jewel in the Crown.

Ares games anounced that there will be more info about the Kickstarter.

10 days left before the start.

Will there be an additional info before?

They are big ones indeed. Although I hope to have a couple in my hanger someday, I was curious what points on these will be. I'm wondering just how many scouts you would need to bring to the fight in hopes to bring one of these big boys down.
    More than a couple. One trick in fighting them is to not overshoot them. If you are doing a head-on pass, there is a tendency to underestimate their movement distance, and you can find yourself falling behind and having a hard time catching back up. Plot that Immelmann carefully. Also, don't fly between two of them. That is what you would call "A Bad Idea."

How big will be storage unit for those planes

Good news, both for planes and mats!

Ares have a pretty good record with their Kickstarter projects.
    The only real downside to ANY Kickstarter is there WILL be delays on the estimated delivery date. Best to add 3 months to what is published, then you don't get annoyed

Link to Ares Kickstarter homepage:-

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1402889231/created

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    Best to add 3 months to what is published,
    <- Snort, Derisive, 1 ea.

Try "three *years*", and you're closer to the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    <- Snort, Derisive, 1 ea.

Try "three *years*", and you're closer to the mark.
    You should probably set your derisive snorts back by a couple of years. SGN proper was roughly 4 months late and the Victory and Constitution are pushing a year and two months behind schedule (but factor in the mast issues with Series 2 and how these ships would have inherited those issues, I don't think the delay would have been this long).

Fact is: They're coming.

No matter if I have to wait 3 month or more from the planed release date.

- I'll get my official WGF giant. -

Outstanding how many nice WGF & WGS miniatures Ares Games throwed on the market the last 3 years.

It'd be interesting to compare stats between what Ares has pushed out in three years to what Nexus had done and how long they had to do it in...

Brand Years Card Line Regular Minis Special Minis
    Nexus 3 WWI Core Boxes, 1 Expansion Box, 6 Boosters
    2 WWII Core Boxes, 4 Boosters
    4 WWI series of 12
    2 WWII series of 12
    2 WWI Starter Boxes, 2 Expansion Boxes
    1 WWII Starter Box
    Ares 3 ABANDONED 3 new WW1 sets of 12, 2 reissues of 12
    1 new WW2 set of 8, 2 more of 12
    2 WWI duel-packs, 6 bombers
    1 WW2 Starter, 4 med bombers

Nexus/NG did that 2004/2010 for cards, 2007/2010 for miniatures.
    Ares also did something with ships...
    You can add 2 mats with NG, 3 Wings ones + 1 Sails ones for Ares. Ares also did additional pegs for Wings, ace/captain&crew cards, several accessaories more (especially for Sails).

Right, A.A. I was just trying to keep to the main releases on Wings, explore the perception that Ares has had a better rate of getting planes out the factory door so far, without looking at the accessories or Sails line--though it is worth noting if memory serves that Nexus was steadfast in their refusal to offer extra peg-packs. File that as a Lesson Learned?

So basically in 3 years of miniatures at Nexus they had six "mainline" miniature releases, while Ares has done eight in the same time--a 1/3 improvement. (I'm avoiding discussing SGN because I don't want to have anyone complaining about how "those damn deck-swabbers got releases that shoulda been more planes"--while there is significant crossover, there's always a few malcontents that see anything going to somebody else as screwing them over... I remember that ground-game AAM guys said that about War at Sea, WAS's Big Six fans said the same thing about adding the Soviets and other Minor Leaguers, etc.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-02-2015 at 09:48.

Default Ares Wings of Glory Kickstarter; 1st reward revealed and its a........

Ares just announced on their Facebook page the following!

Wings of Glory Miniature Game
    18 mins ·

-7 days to the launch of our WW1 ‪#‎GiantoftheSky‬ ‪#‎Kickstarter‬, and here's another great 100-years old video, featuring the launch of a Zeppelin Staaken R.IV, the predecessor to the R.VI that we will feature as one of the rewards.

Bother. This could get expensive.

That's great news, but Oh dear I think I will need to get a second job. Thanks for posting James.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    Bother. This could get expensive.
    I certanly hope not.
    It will not be cheap that I understand but I really hope it won't be a rip of.

Video is of a R.XIVa and an 8301, not a R.IV.... now corrected.

Waiting for our WW1 Wings of Glory Miniature Game Kickstarter (-7 days to launch), here's an amazing video featuring the launch of a Zeppelin Staaken R.XIV - the successor of the powerful R.VI, featured as one of the rewards for our backers.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    It will not be cheap that I understand but I really hope it won't be a rip of.
    There's bound to a difference between the basic buy-in for each of the bombers, and the VIP price for the limited editions.

At a guess....
    Level 1 HO O/400 - $50
    Level 2 Zep R.VI -$60
    Level 3 Both - $100
    Level 4 2 of each -$180

Stretch goals
    1. R.XIV (extra cost) $60 - just different nose
    2. O/100 (extra cost) - $40 just different nacelles
    3. NoMansLand mat? free but extra postage
    4. V1500?

But could be something else entirely.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    At a guess....
    Level 1 HO O/400 - $50
    Level 2 Zep R.VI -$60
    Level 3 Both - $100
    Level 4 2 of each -$180

Stretch goals
    1. R.XIV (extra cost) $60 - just different nose
    2. O/100 (extra cost) - $40 just different nacelles
    3. NoMansLand mat? free but extra postage
    4. V1500?

But could be something else entirely.
    Hope you are right, Zoe. $100 for both bombers is within my budget

LOOP

We will just have to wait and see

Nice video & nice marching music!

Great footage - what a beastie ! Here's the link

"He is wise who watches"

Pledge levels have been revealed by Ares Games.

http://www.aresgames.eu/14179

Looks like I will be a Collector.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Oh dear I think I will need to get a second job.
    I once heard it said that it is a lazy man who can't find his wife a second job.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

I see Keith is contributing to the stretch goals again.
    Depending on costs, I might go collector too.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Pledge levels have been revealed by Ares Games.

http://www.aresgames.eu/14179
    OK -- this looks a bit reassuring. They haven't gone completely apes*** with the bonuses; and it looks as tho' everything will be shippable at once, rather than coming in at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Looks like I will be a Collector.
    As will I. lol

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Kickstarter for Game Mats
    By 7eat51 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 00:35
  2. Transportable Table Kickstarter
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19