Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carronade 2015

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Default Carronade 2015

I see we`re on the list for Carronade again this year
    http://www.falkirkwargamesclub.org.u...carronade.html
    Is this just a hang over from last year and them just not updating their page or has somebody been in touch with them already?

No one has notified me that they wish to put on a game under the auspices of the Aerodrome Rob, nor included the event on the calendar. So it is either wishful thinking on their part or lax updating of the page as you surmised.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

My fault Rob. Contacted Dave Knight and asked him to arrange a place at Carronade and Claymore for 2015. I'd heard nothing official but it seems we have a slot. It's not until May, Claymore August. Plenty of time for planning.

If Sqaudron Leader Rabbit 3 is available we have the start of a plan.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Looks like they have us down for WW2! Hadn't confirmed either WGF or WGS.

Right that's a goer then Neil.
    Can you stick it on the calendar please.
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Barring unforseen disasters I should be available!
    I dont know for sure but if Wappinsaw is running this year that would give us a third Scottish show to run something at.
    (Thats the main Glasgow show).
    Ps, could we merge this thread with Skafloc`s, its a bit redundant having two threads on the same subject.

Keeping these threads alive and hoping with the plethora of new Scottish members we will get some support from north of the border in running not only our game at Carronade but also at Claymore. Come on chaps don't leave it all to us foreigners.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Just to pass on some info I just found out.

Apparently the Glasgow wargames show Wappinshaw is not going to happen again this year.
    No idea why, last year it was because of a lack of venue due to the Commonwealth Games.

Rather a pity as I was kind of hoping that it would give us a third Scottish venue.

Rob loath as I am to say it but it looks like at present it's just yourself and myself for Carronade. Too much for two to run a show properly.

If we get no additional response to assist from north of the border then I'm going to call Carronade off. Claymore was a struggle for just the two of us, we need support from the Scottish players. These are their shows they could show a little more support.

Perhaps Dave Knight could whistle up some support, Dave are you out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Rob loath as I am to say it but it looks like at present it's just yourself and myself for Carronade. Too much for two to run a show properly.

If we get no additional response to assist from north of the border then I'm going to call Carronade off. Claymore was a struggle for just the two of us, we need support from the Scottish players. These are their shows they could show a little more support.

Perhaps Dave Knight could whistle up some support, Dave are you out there?
    I concur fully with my Squadron Leaders appraisal of the situation in Scotland. You may remember that I set as a criterion for accepting shows, that a minimum of four members should be available. This provides a Games Master, Assistant, Greeter and one spare body to fill in, so that everyone can get a break during the day.
    This is essential in order to preserve the high standards of Wings of War Aerodrome. We do not want to jeopardize the good reputation that we have established in the War Gaming community.
    Rob.

Come on Scotland, don't let the side down. Let's have some support for your show.

Tartan Baron

If anyone's at Carronade, hope to meet you there, not sure how much use I'd be but can help out. Dig out my best flying helmet and tartan scarf

There you go Neil, your first volunteer has stepped up to the mark.
    Thanks for the offer Kris.
    Now watch this space.
    Rob.

We now have a team of 3.

Rabbit 3, Tarton Baron and myself. Please, just one more helper would make it so much easier for us.

Rob (Rabbit 3) what do you fancy for this year?

Battle of Britain. (BoB).

Pacific Theater. (Kanoehe Bay/Pearl/Coral Sea/Midway).

Mini Taranto. (Med)

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Well If we can get a fourth body then we`re set.
    From my own collection I can provide a fight of 4 HeIII`s for Bob, 109`s and 110`s plus 3 Ju88`s if I can get them painted in time!
    For the Pacific 4 Zero`s, 3 Vals, 4 Wildcats (well one`s the RN version) and 2 P 40`s.
    Perhaps the RN Wildcat woud fit a med game in a strech but I`m a bit short of Italians though I like the Taranto idea.
    Do you have any Swordfish?

I have 4 swordfish and 2 fulmers, all Rob's borrowed for Origins. Plus 2 Fiat C42, 1, Cant Z, 1 Macchi 2001, 2 Me110's, 3 HE111's, 2 Stuka's, 2 JU88, 4 ME109's (All Med), 4 Hurricanes.

12 Zero's, 9 Vals, 4 Kates, 1 Rufe, 4 Wildcats, 5 Martlets, 4 Devastators, 4 Dauntless

I'm up for anything.

But we need 1 more kind volunteer.

OK, if we can get a 4th, can I plumb for Taranto?

1: I can try the game out with tweaks from Doncaster last year ready for Origins in June.
    2. Little prep-work.
    3. Bring the Pacific stuff as a back up and we'll try and sink an American carrier in the morning and a Japanese one in the afternoon if Taranto goes south.

So come on Scotland, 1 more volunteer and we're good to go. Support your Squadron Commander Rabbit3.

Neil

Last call for assistance.

I have just sent out 15+ PM's to members north of the border for assistance. This is one of your shows. We got an invite to set up a game for 2014 in the hope that we could then pass it on to the Scottish membership to take it on and keep it going. Be a shame to loose it.

Come on be a sport, even for just a morning or an afternoon, lend us sassanach's a hand (well 1 sassanach and 2 Scotsmen).

Neil (does it help if I say I'm from Northumberland? So not too far south? I'll wear a kilt if it will help but I draw a line at playing the bagpipes).

OK, Roland, sebigboss79, has stepped up to the plate and will assist for some of the day. Cheers Roland, just to let you know Roland is originally from Germany but lives in Edinburgh.

Great to have you on board Roland.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Great, I know Roland on Facebook and had a game session with him locally not so long back!

Hi guys

I will definitely attend but be aware I have only played WWI so far. I know Robert and look forward to meet you all at Carronade. I am pretty flexible as to what we do and the scenarios suggested look good to me.
    As a German I would chip in my 2p as "Battle of Britain" :P or "Sink the Bismarck"

Only downside is that I would need some leeway as I attend also for my gaming magazine but can offer some coverage on my blog and magazine in return.

Organisationwise (yes I am German) I had planned to go by rail, would also allow me to bring some stuff for gaming.

Cheers
    Roland

Cheers Roland.

With what Robert has we can put on a decent Battle of Britain game. I can furnish some CR42's, Stuka's and possible 1 JU88. If I get the 3 HEIII's done I can furnish 3 more.

Robert what do you have in the way of Spitfires and Hurricanes? I only have 3 Hurricanes (which would make them the gallant few!)

PS: and Yes the Italians did take part in the Battle of Britain.

Thank you for stepping up Roland. I appreciate this.
    It is great to see you have touched down at last.
    I can now formally welcome you on behalf of the rest of the pilots based here in the U.K.
    Enjoy your day with Neil, Robert and Kris.
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

On the British side I`ve 4 Spit I/II`s and 4 Hurricanes. (1 each of the old Nexus models and I White metal. So one is Belgian and another Russian!).
    I think I need to build up the RAF a bit!

Roland, If you`ve time and fancy a crash course in the WWII game maybe we could get together at The Games Hub and do something before Carronade.
    Perhaps recruiting a few more `Hubbers` in the process?

I am free after April 15th and yes I think a crashcourse is needed in light of pending invasion (pun intended). Hub or the new 6s2hit in Bread Street, I am not fussed which.
    Both easy to reach.

For me to get more into WoG there is a few things I need to get sorted out after handing in my assignments for uni.

- Maps: I know how to make affordable Vinyl maps and they are really good. Can bring one of them to our next game so you can look at the quality. Problem: Need HR pictures from "above"
    - Planes: I have no WWII planes and the ones I am interested in are not in the shop (ME262, TA183, F4U "Corsair")

Looking forward to it.

I've never played WW2 but happy to help in any way I can. Assuming I can get my wife's permission to come flown to Falkirk!

Now we have it all coming together. Great to have you on board Nathan. Get swmbo to come and join in. She could join the likes of Deadly M. Better to be on herside than against.

Neil

I'm hoping to get down this year, if I can get the day off. If I make it down I'd be willing to do the Tea run's for a bit

Gaz turn up and I'll get the first ones in.

I'm working on the 9th, so I'll need to get that sorted first, then the 2 & 1/2 hour drive down, Rest assured if I can I will

Please try and one Gaz, same drive for me from Ellington. Be great if you can.

We also have Pork Pie Hat, aka Ian, who might also be able to attend. The more who can, the better the day will be. You don't even have to bring anything, everything will be and is provided.

Neil

Rob are you up for Battle of Britain then?
    4 Spitfires, 8 Hurricanes v 7 HEIII's, #ME109s, #ME110's, 2-3 JU88's. (I can furnish 4 Hurricanes, 3 HEIII's, 4 ME110's, 1 JU88, and 2 Stuka's but all in Med livery I'm afraid). If I get my painting head on I could possibly furnish another JU88 and 4 ME109's. I also have 2 CR42's (used extensively to bomb the east coast docks). So quite a mish-mash of aircraft.

Rob I have the large sea mat but would need your coastal mat like last time.

OK, as we are having probs with PM's here's what the plan is:

Battle of Britain, 2 games, 1 am, 1 pm.

Lots of aircraft. Lots of targets. Lots of mayhem and definitely lots of FUN.

For all members attending I will produce some in-show rules and a more detailed idea of how we hope the day to pan out.

Cheers Neil

Looking forward to it. Anywhere I can read up on the rules (or even try a game) before coming down?

You can download a set from Ares here:

http://www.aresgames.eu/2084

Apologies all. Due to 2 unforseen birthday invitations for my youngest and a request to help spring clean the church building I may have to confine myself to barracks for this weekend so will probably not make it down to Carronade this weekend.

Are we planning on doing something at Claymore in August? If so I will sign up for that now. It's in the holidays so I will just book the family up for a w/e in Edinburgh!

At present I am not going to make it either. Karen has just got out of hospital and real life must take precedence. Hope Robert can carry the flag with support from those who have offered.

Apologies but such is life.

Neil

I am still good to go which brings up the topic of travelling, transport and setting up.

Unless other arrangements I will travel via train and bus, arrival depending on organisation.

Being German I volunteer to offer comments during the battle such as asking for a squadron of Spitfires and/or lamenting the cowardice of German Pilots. Concerning further multimedia I could bring appropriate music for each downed plane but bear in mind I neither have a Luftwaffe Uniform, nor the Polo Shirt Robert was wearing when I saw him demoing.

Only favour I would ask is plenty of time for everyone to get some shopping etc done.

With 3 there is scope for shopping and browsing. Keeping to 1 game format and playing 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon takes the pressure off and makes setting up easier. Robert has enough aircraft to run a decent participation and has assisted and run games at Carronade and Claymore last year.

Any further assistance I can give before Sat just ask.

Neil

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Ok. I`m still good to go and have enough WWII kit to run something.
    As Neil suggested we should probably just run one game in the morning and one in the afternoon to take some of the pressure off.

If anybody else out there is going to Falkirk and Carronade and is in a position to help but hasn`t offered yet feel free to turn up with any planes you have available.

The games planned are WWII but we might be able to slot a WWI game in there somewhere if somebody else brings the kit.
    If somebody has a games mat to bring along that would help too, I have three available but a fourth would help for the size of table we`re likely to have.

I`m now going to have to go check bus times and sort out gear!

I will be on the 08:33 train from Waverley and then First Bus Line 1 arriving 09:24

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I should get there myself at about the same sort of time for the 10.00 AM start and hope we can get the first game going about 10.30-11.00.

Just a quick heads up after arriving back home.

We had 2 large games and while the Luftwaffe achieved almost total victory in the first game they got annihilated in the second one. Rabbit 3 and me took a lot of photos but I will leave the honour to him for an after action report. I will be available in some form at Claymore and hopefully I can convince the local store(s) to join forces with us, get some stock and we are ready to rock again.

My vote is actually for Battle of Britain again as it is a good anniversary. Also the rolling start with people joining during the game was a good option we used in the first round. Rabbit 3, pictures inbound via FB Messenger.
    sebigboss79 Over and Out.

Well done Roland. Great support. Hopefully there were more there than just Robert and yourself. Looking forward to show report and pics.

Looking forward to Claymore and supporting you all there.

Neil

Thank you for your report Roland, and for holding the fort so admirably.
    There will be Rep coming to all participants as they post here.
    Rob.

We had Gaz, who joined us on both occasions more or less officially plus two gentleman familiar with the game.

I was merely following orders, Rabbit 3 was running a tight ship/plane.

@Robert: Mention some of my comments please

Well 5 is a good number. Well done to all.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Whew! Just recovering and will post some pics once I`ve had some sleep and had time to upload them.
    Hectic day but fun though.
    Thanks particularly to Roland.

I would also like to thank you personally Robert for propping up the event in the absence of Neil.
    It is a big job when short handed, and the very sensible approach you took in limiting the number of games obviously paid off.
    Once again thanks for all your efforts and in upholding the reputation of the Drome in fulfilling our commitments.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National: Empoli Games 2015 - 3/4 ottobre 2015
    By Warlock in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 22:38
  2. British Columbia: GottaCon 2015 - 27 Feb - 2 Mar 2015
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 13:03
  3. N. England & Scotland Carronade, Falkirk, May 10th 2014
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing