Ares Games

Thread: OTT Early Doors Mission 9 - Flashes Last Gasp of the Somme - 15th September 1916

Default OTT Early Doors Mission 9 - Flashes Last Gasp of the Somme - 15th September 1916

2Lt Ben Downe was feeling pretty pleased with himself as he led his flight towards the lines - he had a new Nieuport 17 in a very dashing silver finish and his wingmen that day, Claude Back and the new American chap Brad Hammer, also had Nieuport 17's but theirs were finished in the dull green brown paint much favoured by the powers that be these days though that did not diminish the lines of these beautiful aircraft.
    They had been tasked with supporting the attack of the new 'mechanised wonder of warfare' - a large track laying armoured box chocked full of game chaps that sprouted machine guns and cannon that would see off the Huns in short order. As they approached the German lines they easily spotted their charges below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_5540.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	157867
    (The Tommy pilots - 2Lt Claude Back in the nearest N.17 (A), 2Lt Ben Downe in the centre (Silver) and 2Lt Brad Hammer in the furthest (Green) - about to overfly the British Tanks and supporting Infantry as they approach the German trench line; their first day objectives beyond.)

Looking ahead to the east Ben realised that things might not all go their way as he spied no less than five enemy biplane machines heading straight for them.

Name:	SAM_5541.JPG 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	157868
    The Germans top left to right - just out of frame Vzfwbl Herman Bona Alb D.I (Red), Ltn Konrad Strünklenberg Alb D.I (Blue), Ltn Gustav Klaiber Halb D.III (Blue), new boys Ltn Richard Pütz Halb D.III (cam) & Ltn Christian Koch Halb D.III (Cream K)

Ben waggles his wings and points upwards - the Nieuports climb quickly and the opposing pilots size each other up.

Name:	SAM_5544.JPG 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	157869

The Halberstadts' brief - attack the tanks and infantry - Koch launches his first attack on the infantiers - his rounds thudding uselessly between the men below of the first attack group

Name:	SAM_5546.JPG 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	157870

Back noses down as he turns & opens up on Pütz' green and brown Halberstadt as he in turn strafes the infantry in the third group - Back scores well but doesn't stop Pütz knocking several men over

Name:	SAM_5547.JPG 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	157871

Downe angles down and opens up on Klaiber - his Lewis promptly jams but maybe it was enough as Klaibers' shots have no effect on the men moving through the cratered morass below them.

Name:	SAM_5548.JPG 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	157872

Strünklenberg piloting one of the Albatrii gets under Hammers nose and gets a short burst in, though without causing any major damage to the Nieuport

Name:	SAM_5549.JPG 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	157873

++Pütz slides beneath Back to press home his attack on the stalled 2nd attack group but his rounds ring off the armoured behemoths and his Spandau jams.

Target of opportunity: as Klaiber noses up from a strafing run Downes silver Nieuport fills the sights his gun - his snap shot, though startling, rattles harmlessly through the Nieuports wings.

Name:	SAM_5556.JPG 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	157874

As a dark cloud, almost a portend of doom, passes overhead Bona also catches new boy Hammer and walks a long lingering burst from his twin guns along the Nieuports fragile frame..Hammers attempt to return fire result in the Lewis gun jamming.

Name:	SAM_5558.JPG 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	157875

++Pütz turns and gets another burst into an infantry group 3 but again the shots go wild...
    ++Koch is undeterred swinging back round onto attack Group1's infantry, satisfied as he sees figures tumble amongst the ranks and gouts of mud from his impacting bullets...
    ++Klaiber tries to rake the tanks of group 2 as it is stalled by group 1 when it crosses their path - the rounds ricochet uselessly from their iron sides and his gun jams...
    ++Pütz has more luck as he dives low onto Group 4's infantry, his gun spitting death and throwing the platoon into disarray...

Strünklenberg catches Downe with an accurate if long range burst as he looks to get back onto the blue Halb that had a squirt at him -

Name:	SAM_5573.JPG 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	157876

++Koch closes on Group 1's infantiers and more men fall to his gun as he dives into close range..
    ++Pütz keeps diving catching the men of group 5 and his close range burst topples men from the ranks...

Pütz is almost skimming the ground as Hammer passes overhead in his Nieuport and Bona admires the new mans' courage in his low level attacks..

Name:	SAM_5576.JPG 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	157877

Downe, warned by the rounds striking his aircraft Immels and sees the Albatros D.I slip out of harms way

Name:	SAM_5580.JPG 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	157878

++Koch presses on firing at the tanks of Group 3but to no avail...Even as he dives to close range he still makes no impression on the armoured beasts but his gun jams with the effort.

Back spots Klaiber as he Immel's back for another crack at the tanks and he dives in and peppers the Halbs tail at close range

Name:	SAM_5588.JPG 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	157879

Hammer having worked his way above and behind Pütz has a crack at him but no telling hits are initially scored...As Pütz immels the range closes and Hammers shots are telling even as the Lewis gun jams on the last rounds in the pan

Name:	SAM_5591.JPG 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	157880

Klaiber ignores Backs effort and concentrates on his target - group 2's stalled tanks - his rounds bounce of the sides of the metal monsters and his guns jam..

Name:	SAM_5595.JPG 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	157881

He doesn't see Downe closing fast until it is too late - the close range burst blows the tail of the Halberstadt apart and it tumbles into the ground below.

Name:	SAM_5592.JPG 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	157882

++Koch now at low level moves onto Group 5's tanks but again no damage...
    ++Pütz passing the other way shoots up the group 4 tanks Koch has just left but no damage is done...
    ++Pütz works over group 3's tanks as they pass their first days objective - These armoured monsters are unstoppable !

Strünklenberg having circled round gets back into the fight, catching Downe again as he and Back pursue the Halberstadts attacking the ground forces..

Name:	SAM_5604.JPG 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	157883

Strünklenberg smiles to himself as he presses home his advantage and gets behind Downes silver kite - the smile fades as his guns stutter to silence.

Name:	SAM_5607.JPG 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	157884

Back gets a snap shot off at Pütz as he passes below him in the opposite direction

Name:	SAM_5608.JPG 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	157885

++Pütz ignores the incoming rounds as he opens up on Group 4 tanks at close range - again no damage an frustration as his gun jams...

Bona spots Hammer as he is turning back into the action and cuts in to get a shot as he passes his nose but the shots have no affect

Name:	SAM_5610.JPG 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	157889

Downe, counting his blessings as the Albatros guns jam, Immels and replies but to no great affect

Name:	SAM_5611.JPG 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	157887

++Koch turns back over Group 6 and opens up on Group 5's infantry - he is rewarded with some success...

An end of turn frame to show off relative positions over the battlefield, Bona and Koch, over group 6, in the foreground, Hammer, Back and Pütz in the middle, Strünklenberg & Downe in the background

Name:	SAM_5614.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	157888

++Koch at close range on Group 5 tanks causes no damage...

Bona curving in and down on Hammers Nieuport but no serious damage caused.

Name:	SAM_5618.JPG 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	157886

++Koch continues diving onto Group 4 takes but still no visible damage...

Downe scores some hits on Strünklenberg

Name:	SAM_5620.JPG 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	157890

++Koch continues firing at close range on Group 4 tanks but to no avail...

Downe cuts back onto Koch as he slips underneath and his rounds clatter through the Halbs tail

Name:	SAM_5625.JPG 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	157891

Hammer turns on his tormentor and trades with Bona but his gun jams again !

Name:	SAM_5626.JPG 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	157892

As the light fades Pütz revisits the tanks of Group 2 but his efforts prove futile once more...

Name:	SAM_5627.JPG 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	157894

Their fuel diminished the Nieuports turn for home - Strünklenberg gets a few rounds as Hammer passes him

Name:	SAM_5628.JPG 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	157895

++Koch makes a final pass on the tanks of group 6 and jams his gun - he yells in frustration as in spite of his efforts he has been unable to make little impression on the flow of the enemy force...

Strünklenberg gets a raking shot into Hammer as he heads for home

Name:	SAM_5631.JPG 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	157896

Downe and Hammer get bursts into Bona as he turns for home

Name:	SAM_5632.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	157897

Strünklenbergs' final burst jams his gun and he breaks off the pursuit turning in behind Bona as they head back over the battlefield for home.

Name:	SAM_5633.JPG 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	157898

Ltn Gustav Klaiber Halb D.III (Blue), SD-EXP NML / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_5600.JPG 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	157899
    Rolled 9 -3EXP -1NML = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, Rolled 4 = skip 2.
    E&E Rolled 6 +1NML -1WIA = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios; Rolled 1 = skip 1 Total Skip 3

Ltn Christian Koch Halb D.III (Cream K), RTB / 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_5635.JPG 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	157900

Ltn Richard Pütz Halb D.III (cam) RTB / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_5636.JPG 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	157901

Ltn Konrad Strünklenberg Alb D.I (Blue), RTB / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_5637.JPG 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	157902

Vzfwbl Herman Bona Alb D.I (Red), RTB / 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_5638.JPG 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	157903

2Lt Brad Hammer N.17 (Green) RTB / 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_5639.JPG 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	157904

2Lt Claude Back N.17 (A), RTB / 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_5640.JPG 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	157905

2Lt Ben Downe N.17 (Silver) RTB / 1 kill (Klaiber)

Name:	SAM_5641.JPG 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	157906

Well the clanks got through unhindered..Passing their day one objectives and rampaging into the rear areas of the German formations..

All in spite of the brave efforts of Ltns Koch and Pütz but they at least did some damage to the attendant infantry formations.
    I deliberately did not include all the pics of that action as it was photo heavy but for those interested the full effort is in my album here

I played 10 or 11 turns - end of turn 9 was when the N.17 turn for home but I played it out just for fun.
    Last edited by flash; 02-18-2015 at 11:48.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thoroughly enjoyed the outing - thanks Peter - there are a couple of things I'd do slightly differently, I'd make the tanks even slower somehow, I'd allow the Germans to choose their target ie tank or inf , and I would allow hits on tanks on rudder and smoke damage just to increase their chances of success.
    A very engrossing game nonetheless and most worthy of OTT.

Great AAR, Dave... your photos conveyed nicely the impression of a twisting, turning, low-altitude swirling dogfight!

Whizzo Dave.
    What a frenzied battle that was. So much don by so many to so little effect.
    Well done the Bulldogs.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Well flown by your chaps Flash!

Your Germans had about the same experience as mine. Hard to kill a tank but the PBI copped a fair bit.

It is a real fun game & I think your idea of letting more special damage count against the tanks is a good one.
    However as always it comes down to the luck of the dice rolls!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed the outing - thanks Peter - there are a couple of things I'd do slightly differently, I'd make the tanks even slower somehow, I'd allow the Germans to choose their target ie tank or inf , and I would allow hits on tanks on rudder and smoke damage just to increase their chances of success.
    A very engrossing game nonetheless and most worthy of OTT.
    I initially had the Germans choose their targets but the tanks were usually it and they never made it through. The Player German does have his choice, only the AI roll for targets. Engine, fire and explosion give ~10% kill on the tanks. I cut it down as I playtested with more killing shots as you suggest, but again, they were destroyed too easily. Maybe I should have made it more difficult for the British flying side. You had extremely good luck, not one tank disabled! Try flying as the Germans!

I let the tanks move a little to get the feeling of an advance. You can of course play it however you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    .... So much done by so many to so little effect.....
    That sums it up quite effectively Rob !

Thanks for the kind words chaps, it was a fun game, the anticipation of causing some disastrous damage to the tanks or aircraft was very keen as each side and the tanks had their own damage deck so they all had the chance of serious critical damage - it just didn't happen much !
    The only reason I'd slow the tanks down a bit would be to keep them on the table !

The only reason I'd slow the tanks down a bit would be to keep them on the table !
    I must admit that two of mine that didn't get molested or have any deviations around craters, by move nine were half way to Berlin. If I played again I think I would have a series of special effects cards for the Tanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great AAR Dave - and well done the Bulldogs. At this rate the tanks will have ended the war by Christmas (again )

For those that looked in the album did anyone spot the difference in the first shot showing the management set up ?
    No prizes - and no hints Baz ! - but those that do will be qualified observers

Thanks for the kind words chaps, it was a fun game, the anticipation of causing some disastrous damage to the tanks or aircraft was very keen as each side and the tanks had their own damage deck so they all had the chance of serious critical damage - it just didn't happen much !
    Playing as the German can be very frustrating. I can't tell you how many times shooting at infantry a tank kill would pop up or when one more infantry kill was needed and shooting at the tank the big hits show up. Its alll in the cards.
    With the 9 turn limit the tanks shouldn't get close to the board edge. Maybe your tanks were driving downhill?

Well played Dave .Another sucessfull sortie for the Bulldogs. Having heard yours and Robs comments on the speed of the tanks and the adddition of special hits cards I might make a modification or two before I play it. Never the less a great AAR as usual Dave.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Smile

For those that looked in the album did anyone spot the difference in the first shot showing the management set up ?
    No prizes - and no hints Baz ! - but those that do will be qualified observers
    Posted a comment in your Album Dave.

More subtle than that Baz ! Look in the foreground for something we discussed recently...

Thumbs up

More subtle than that Baz ! Look in the foreground for something we discussed recently...
    Got it! Posted in Album thread!

Great AAR Dave love the action and the photos really give it lots of atmosphere.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-14-2015, 06:59
  2. AAR Early Doors Mission 9--Last Gasp of the Somme--52 Sqd--gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:35
  3. BRF Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 12:00
  4. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 1--Fish in a Barrel--Jan 15th 1916
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 09:33
  5. Replies: 12