Ares Games

Thread: Suitable paint colours?

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Default Suitable paint colours?

I've ordered and begun building some kits of the aircraft that we are not going to see as "official" minis for the forseeable future, including Sopwith Triplanes, DH2s, Fokker E3s, Bristol fighter and a couple of bombers.

Assembling the models presents no problem, but I'm a bit stuck with the colours as I usually paint fantasy and Sci-Fi miniatures.

The original colours would have weathered and faded, and there seems to have been a fairly wide colour variation across the so-called "standard" colours of PC10 and PC12. I'm not personally obsessive about accuracy, but I would like to be reasonably close to the right colours in case my models come under scrutiny from a more discerning gamer. Or a nerd.

I prefer working with acrylic paints and have a large selection to hand, so can anyone give me a reasonable match for clear doped linen, PC10 and PC12 from any of the Games Workshop or Privateer Press range? I can also get Revell and Vallejo but I'd have to buy them specially.

Not sure about PC12, but PC10 starts out green and turns brown with age.

I've been mainly using Vallejo acrylics for mine. There's pics of some of them in my album. Base colours are Dark Sand 70847 for clear doped linen, Reflective Green 70890 for freshly painted PC10. You can mix in some dark earth to taste if you want aged PC10.

Revell Nato Olive 36146 is also pretty close to aged PC10, and their Ochre Brown 36188 is good for natural wood.

Doing modifications I have also used the Vallejo paints and they match up and cover quite well. Its very nice paint. That being said, as a lees expensive choice I also use a lot of the Apple barrel craft paints depending on the colors I need. It's much easier to get the olive drab colors from the Vallejo line. The craft paint olive hues don't cover very well. You really can't go wrong with the Vallejo.

If I had to guess, (I've used this on the Snipes and Camels) I'd start with the Vallejo "Russian Uniform" for the Triplanes and Bristols.

Hope that helps.

Steve

You chaps may like to look at my thread on the Handley Page, on this forum. It may be of a little use.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Typical bloomin' officer. The thread about the Handley page, apart from encouraging me to spend yet more money, is of no use whatsoever.

However, the thread about the FE 2C was exactly what I needed. I'd seen your picture but just hadn't read far enough down.

I got impatient last night and tried a few colours from my selection. It turns out that Privateer Press P3 'Menoth White Basecoat' is exactly the same colour as GW 'Bleached Bone', and as you mention works well for doped linen. I might put a thinned wash of 'Devlan Mud' over it to bring out the detail.

I considered 'Catachan Green' for PC10 but thought it was a bit bright so I went with P3 'Cryx Bane Base' which is a pretty good match for the WoW camels I've got. I might see how 'Catachan Green' looks with a thin wash of a darker colour.

I've no idea what colour PC12 is, so any advice would be welcome.

Regarding your comments on painting goggles I find a series of progressively thinner and lighter-shaded crescent shapes of green or blue in the bottom right of a black basecoat gives a passable glass effect, especially if one puts a white spot highlight in the top left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    Typical bloomin' officer. The thread about the Handley page, apart from encouraging me to spend yet more money, is of no use whatsoever.

However, the thread about the FE 2C was exactly what I needed. I'd seen your picture but just hadn't read far enough down.

I got impatient last night and tried a few colours from my selection. It turns out that Privateer Press P3 'Menoth White Basecoat' is exactly the same colour as GW 'Bleached Bone', and as you mention works well for doped linen. I might put a thinned wash of 'Devlan Mud' over it to bring out the detail.

I considered 'Catachan Green' for PC10 but thought it was a bit bright so I went with P3 'Cryx Bane Base' which is a pretty good match for the WoW camels I've got. I might see how 'Catachan Green' looks with a thin wash of a darker colour.

Regarding your comments on painting goggles I find a series of progressively thinner and lighter-shaded crescent shapes of green or blue in the bottom right of a black basecoat gives a passable glass effect, especially if one puts a white spot highlight in the top left.
    Nice one John. That would be a bit like doing Games Workshop Jewels then, only on a smaller scale.
    Rob..
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    PC 12 is a dark reddish-brown, and was red iron oxide with a small amount of lampblack added. Equates to Metheun 9E6/8.

No idea what the Vallejo/Games Workshop/Humbrol equivalent would be, as I use Mr Kit ready-made acrylic colours. They also do a nice range of 1/144 decals in their pilot range, including British and German moustaches, medals and a range of 6 different colour eyeballs.

and if you believe that.......
    Last edited by Guntruck; 09-20-2010 at 10:22.

Similar Missions

1. Series I paint schemes, which do you like best?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2020, 06:10
  2. Messerschmitt paint schemes
    By oldskoolpurist in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 00:44
  3. Striping the paint off
    By CappyTom in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 04:39
  4. Vallejo gaming colours