Ares Games

Thread: Decals from MK1.

Lightbulb Decals from MK1.

I was looking for decals for my recent WW2 Russian builds. They have arrived. I also ordered some WW1 British set. They look nice and will report on how the work. Here is a link to the Ebay vendor i picked them up from.

Rich

http://stores.ebay.com/SCOTTS-MODEL-...=p4634.c0.m322
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $_57.jpg   $_12.JPG  

Looks like a bunch of useful decals on there Rich.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob

I bought the British Roundels for WW1 aircraft, are they right for WW1? I have two Shapeways Se5`s to finish, i ordered the decals.

Rich

Type D look fine for early WW1 to me, before the white outer was adopted and for lower wing throughout. The other type C ones look like late period WW2 to me with the thinner yellow outer.
    Rob.

Type C/D? Is this off their site or elsewhere Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Type D look fine for early WW1 to me, before the white outer was adopted and for lower wing throughout. The other type C ones look like late period WW2 to me with the thinner yellow outer.
    Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Smile

Rob

Great! Away we go on the SE-5 project!

Rich

Neil

That is how they labeled by MK1. That web link has them listed. Someone on your side of the pond has to carry them. MK1 is in Prague. I have three of their kits on the build shelf, all very nice!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Type C/D? Is this off their site or elsewhere Rob?
    Same link, about half way down the page Neil.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Type A/A1/B/C/C1 was the official RAF nomenclature for the various WW2 roundel types. (A = 1/3/5 ratio red/white/blue, A1 = 1/3/5/7 ratio red/white/blue/yellow, B = red and blue only, and C = red/white/blue, but lower visibility - the white being reduced to a thin hoop between the red and blue. Finally C1 was a Type C with a narrow yellow ring around the edge - a slightly odd combination, as the entire point of adding the yellow outer was to increase its visibility, while narrowing it down was to make it less visible....)

Type D were introduced post-war, but their 1/2/3 ratio (ie. a bigger red centre than WW2 roundels) and slightly lighter blue than the WW2 roundels mean they're also a very good match for a lot of early WWI stuff, especially French-built types, which tended to have French style 1/2/3 cockades even in British service, instead of the more usual British 1/3/5. (Sadly they're not ideal for SE5s though - those always had the smaller red centre, and narrow white trim on fuselage and upper wings.)
    Last edited by Dom S; 02-13-2015 at 02:42.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

PS - As for stockists on the right-hand side of the pond, there are probably others, but Hannants (my default go-to for obscure manufacturers) certainly carry them:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/ind...=&save_search=

(If that link doesn't work properly, look for "Mark 1 Decals" under manufacturer in the advanced search bit - there are a couple of firms called Mark 1 something or other, so make sure you have the right one.)

Anyone know of a good source for type D decals in 15mm & 20mm. Felixstowes are hard to fit...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Really you want proper WWI roundels rather than Type D - there are a large number of firms producing stuff in 1/72 scale, as it's a major aircraft modelling scale, so a browse through Squadron or Hannants will probably find something.

Dom is spot on.
    When I did my Felixstowe I went to Hannants Todd.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. WW II U S Decals
    By Coog in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 18:52
  2. 1/200 Decals???
    By costampede in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 20:43
  3. FUD New to 1/144… “Where To?” for Decals?
    By Johnny DNGRSLY in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 08:48
  4. Get rid of decals
    By Marechallannes in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 04:13