Ares Games

Thread: Official Henschel Hs.123 Painting Thread

Default Official Henschel Hs.123 Painting Thread

All!

I just finished another aircraft model from my February's Workbench, and here she is:

Model is from the Shapeways Designer "Decapod" and is a little "grainy" for my taste, so next group I will go ahead and spring for the Polished material, but here she is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image078.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	157282

Name:	Image070.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	157283

Name:	Image072.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	157284

Name:	Image073.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	157285

Name:	Image076.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	157286

Thanks for Looking!

Cheers,

FF

Nice to see a Hs-123 even if it is grainy !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Henschel good, grain not so good Scott. What a pity.
    I thought Shapeways were on top of that. My last few purchases were much less grainy.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks pretty good, Scott. How did you prep them? Maybe a couple more coats of whatever sealer you used first?
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 02-12-2015 at 02:56. Reason: sp
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Default A Little Surprised and Disappointed Myself...

Yes. I was a little surprised and disappointed myself. Not only with the Finished Product, but with the arrival of these in the first place.

This was my first purchase from the designer "Decapod". The first thing that I didn't like was the way he attaches the two, at two, upper, wing surfaces. Then I noticed how much more grainy they appeared compared to what I generally receive from Shapeways.

As far as Base Coating goes, I used my normal process of a good White Primer coat followed by a healthy hand coat of Acrylic Black. That has always served me well in the past (but I'll let ya'll be the judges of that). However, I think that Decapod designed these to be pretty true to scale and so some surfaces are pretty thin and thus a little more prone to showing the "Grain".

Rest assured that I will try him again, but with the more "pricey" material and finish. He designs too many good aircraft, in this scale, for me not to try again and with better results, I hope!

Cheers,

FF
    Last edited by FatalFlaw; 02-12-2015 at 06:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Henschel good, grain not so good Scott. What a pity.
    I thought Shapeways were on top of that. My last few purchases were much less grainy.
    Rob.
    Yep! She is "pity" and "grainy" ...hehe

D'oh! I will try again soon and do a Winter Scheme, as well as an SCW model, or 3.

Cheers,

FF

My first few Shapeways orders were great. Last couple were inconsistent though. I emailed them, they asked for photos, I got credit, reordered and then they were fine. Quality control seems to be slipping a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    My first few Shapeways orders were great. Last couple were inconsistent though. I emailed them, they asked for photos, I got credit, reordered and then they were fine. Quality control seems to be slipping a bit.
    OH!

Thank you for the "Heads-Up" Peter. I will look into this and contact the designer as well.

Cheers,

Scott 'FatalFlaw'

Quote Originally Posted by FatalFlaw View Post

Yes. I was a little surprised and disappointed myself. Not only with the Finished Product, but with the arrival of these in the first place.

This was my first purchase from the designer "Decapod". The first thing that I didn't like was the way he attaches the two, at two, upper, wing surfaces. Then I noticed how much more grainy they appeared compared to what I generally receive from Shapeways.

As far as Base Coating goes, I used my normal process of a good White Primer coat followed by a healthy hand coat of Acrylic Black. That has always served me well in the past (but I'll let ya'll be the judges of that). However, I think that Decapod designed these to be pretty true to scale and so some surfaces are pretty thin and thus a little more prone to showing the "Grain".

Rest assured that I will try him again, but with the more "pricey" material and finish. He designs too many good aircraft, in this scale, for me not to try again and with better results, I hope!

Cheers,

FF
    Have you looked at the various threads for prepping Shapeways models? In a nutshell, the 2 popular methods use either brushed on diluted PVA (or white) glue, or a clear floor wax dip. Both methods use a number of coats 3-6 by taste). Many here have gotten good reults with either or both of these.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I have not looked at the various threads on the subject. However, my "Healthy Black" acrylic coat after a primer coat, or two, has usually done the trick, so I was a little surprised is all.

I should mention that my "Healthy Black" acrylic coat is actually 2 parts black acrylic "de jour" and 1 part PVA...I've been painting miniatures for more than 30 years and I have picked up a few things along the way. The Floor Wax method sounds intriguing, but I am concerned, to a certain extent, about losing details, especially panel lines, ailerons, and elevators at this scale.

Also, the bottom line for me, generally, is how good something looks on the table.

As poor and grainy as this model looks in these digital close-ups, it doesn't look half bad on the table...lol Go Figure!

Thank you for the heads-up on those hobby threads. I'll have to check them out.

Cheers,

FF

Quote Originally Posted by FatalFlaw View Post
    Those models do look a bit grainy - from what I've heard from others, shapeways is still improving but still some don't print as well as others.

The join via the wings was done as an attempt to keep the costs down after shapeways altered their pricing structure for WSF that penalised multiple models. If I can find the time I'll eventually get around to altering them to be joined by a more conventional sprue.

Another SCW plane coming "soon" - my first for a while

Cheers,
    Paul

Always look more grainy in digital pics than in real life. All my WW1 planes are fantastic from a number of designers too.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Those models do look a bit grainy - from what I've heard from others, shapeways is still improving but still some don't print as well as others.

The join via the wings was done as an attempt to keep the costs down after shapeways altered their pricing structure for WSF that penalised multiple models. If I can find the time I'll eventually get around to altering them to be joined by a more conventional sprue.

Another SCW plane coming "soon" - my first for a while

Cheers,
    Paul
    Thanks Paul,

I love that you are doing what you are doing and will be purchasing more soon. Although, I am now more curious about the more pricey materials and finishes. I will probably buy a "healthy" mix, just to become more knowledgeable about them as well. People ask me about my finished models all the time...hehe

I can hardly wait to see what your next SCW offering will be, but if you are at all interested in a few suggestions, check out my recently added poll:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...953#post334953

Please note that Kampfflieger appears to be doing the Hawker Fury/Spanish Fury next in both 1/100 and 1/200, not that that should preclude you from doing any and/or all of them.

Cheers,

FF

Default Hs.123 Stalingrad 1943 Kamphfflieger 1/100 scale

Here are a few pics of my 1/100 scale Hs.123, Stalingrad 1943

I still need to add a windscreen and a pilot, but I think she's close enough to show...

Name:	Image098.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	157445

Name:	Image091.jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	157446

Name:	Image092.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	157447

Name:	Image093.jpg 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	157448

Name:	Image094.jpg 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	157449

Name:	Image095.jpg 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	157450

Not sure why I keep misspelling Kampfflieger's name...

Cheers,

FF
    Last edited by FatalFlaw; 02-13-2015 at 21:31.

It's a bit surprising how late in the war the Henschel's were used; the Germans even reactivated them from storage and training schools, because they couldn't fill the close support niche with anything else.
    Of course, they kept the Stukas flying longer than they should have too! A big dog on a short leash indeed.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Official RAF BE 2a/b/c/d painting thread
    By 144sram in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-14-2024, 01:15
  2. Official FE2 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 06:42
  3. Official DFW C.V Painting Thread
    By Fat Wally in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-15-2022, 04:31
  4. Official A.E.G. G.IV Painting thread.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-21-2022, 15:32
  5. Official DH4 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 11:38