Ares Games

Thread: Are there house rules for wind yet?

Default Are there house rules for wind yet?

Is there a simple rule for wind yet?
    What about borrowing the wind rules from Sails of Glory?

In sails of glory you got a an indicator pointing out the direction of the wind in 45 degree-steps.
    At the beginning of every round the strength and direction is drawn with chits.
    SoG offers three strengths here.

So my idea was the following:
    -Light wind: No changes at all, play like you used to do.
    -Medium wind: Move the plane one ruler-width into the wind direction after every played card.
    -Strong wind: Like above, but one card width into the wind-direction.

Thoughts?

Edit: For those not familiar with SoG:
    You got three kind of chits for wind direction and strength.
    For the direction you got a chit with a left and a right arrow and a blank one.
    If you draw a an arrow two rounds in a row and they point in the same direction, the wind changes into that direction.
    The same goes for the strength, just with plus, minus and a blank.
    Last edited by Banana Joe; 02-10-2015 at 13:39.

We have rules for wind in our house.....but thats another story.

The only time I use wind is when I use clouds to have them drift across the playing area. All the planes would be pushed in the same direction so unless you have very different planes (engine power-wise) it should be close to a wash?

Oh, just realized I wanted to post in the WGF-section, where wind would have a bigger effect.
    It might work in WGS too, but the effect should be minimal.

Maybe a moderator can move my topic.

Seek and ye shall find ...
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ght=wind+rules

though I should think that as the wind will affect all present the overall affect will be minimal.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I accidentally hit the wrong forum. I couldnt find any in the WGS-homerules....

Sure it effects everybody, but like in the other thread, you dont want to get drawn on the wrong side of the front. Especially when you want to safe your pilot.

That could be an important point... especially for scenarios where pilot survival after being shot or forced down is in question. Landing on your side of the lines is more forgiving than either NML or enemy lines.

I like it with the WW2 just so someone can get an advantage at turning in a turning fight.

I suppose while the planes may remain essentially the same in relation to each other they wouldn't with regards to ground targets. Thus making a bomb go from a direct hit to a half hit if one forgets to take the wind into account? And as Thomas stated above it might give one person the edge in a turning dogfight. Never given this any thought before but that's an interesting idea!

Yes I agree with Wes it is an interesting thought, but with all the house rules on the forum it does tend to complicate the game even further. Me I just stick to the WoG rules they are complicated enough for me to understand. But each to their own.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yes I agree with Wes it is an interesting thought, but with all the house rules on the forum it does tend to complicate the game even further. Me I just stick to the WoG rules they are complicated enough for me to understand. But each to their own.
    Yes I agree Alistair. Sometimes we can make the game just too complicated & spoil the fun & enjoyment of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The only time I use wind is when I use clouds to have them drift across the playing area. All the planes would be pushed in the same direction so unless you have very different planes (engine power-wise) it should be close to a wash?
    This is true. As everything is in the air and the air is moving - everything moves the same. So the net effect is usually it has minimal effect.

Where it does have an obvious effect on is in landing - so it may be worthwhile incorporating the wind direction in landing.
    In addition, historically on the Western front the wind tended to come from the West - so it also had an effect in terms of moving allied planes deeper into enemy territory. That could be implemented for specific scenarios by maybe setting a time limit to the game. Maybe something along the lines of after the set time period, the allied planes must have completed their objectives or flown off the table in the right direction.

But overall I agree with those who have argued for keeping the game simple - so I would not want wind to be incorporated into the main rules or for all scenarios.

Similar Missions

1. House Rules
    By CappyTom in forum Polls
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-18-2020, 12:50
  2. My House Rules
    By rcboater in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 22:14
  3. Simple Wind Rules
    By somaliavet in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 20