Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salute is a Go!

Default Salute is a Go!

OK Chaps,

I've just got confirmation that we have a 12' x 5' table at Salute in Excel on the 25th April. I know I asked before but that was several months ago, so can I have another show of hands of those who are coming along please?

Unfortunately, and with some embarrassment I have to say that despite sponsoring this event I won't be able to devise a suitable game or paint the necessary for it. This is because my wife is spending more time in hospital than she is out of it at the moment, and all my spare time is being taken up looking after her and the house. If someone would care to volunteer to organise events I would be eternally grateful. All being well I hope to turn up and bring mats and anything else that needs bringing.

The tickets and paperwork haven't been sent out yet, when they are I shall organise their distribution once I know who is turning up.

Thanks.

Steve
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Sorry to hear that your Good Lady is so unwell again Steve. Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    I am glad you have got us in at Salute once again this year, and send my thanks to those attending.
    I'm afraid that with Jury Service looming over me I can't make any arrangements to be able to attend any events at the moment after WMMS.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Apologies too Steve. I'm off in Malta so won't be available. Thought it was going to be around the same time as last year.
    See you on the Dark Side......

MALTA!

Rob.

It is my intention to go to Salute like last year, this is dependant upon work at the moment, but I'll do what I can to set up some WW1 games.
    Sorry to hear about your good lady Steve , I hope she recovers soon.

The games I would be running will be standard WW1 games including dogfight, chippy and Schnelimbus raids, hopefully with seaplanes added into the mix.

I'm sorry to read that your wife is unwell, Steve. Here's hoping she gets well soon.

I am available for Salute - it's a "local" show for me!

I can bring a variety of WW1 stuff (but no seaplanes )

Thanks guys. However, I think we need a minimum of 4 bodies to do it justice. When will you know about work Chris? I'm inclined to give it a week to see if anyone else puts his hand up, if not give up the table. Anyone have any views on this?

And if we go ahead, seaplanes will not be a problem.

I should know by the end of next week Steve

I agree with Steve.
    Four members makes it viable.
    Can anyone else step up to the plate. It would be a shame to let it go after all the effort put in over several years to secure the prestigious event.
    Rob.

Apologies again Steve. I had planned on SALUTE being on around the 12th like last year. If we can keep it going I will make next year.

No worries Neil, these things happen. Lets be fair, the choice between Malta and Salute is a no-brainer.

I can get there Steve and I'll happily support the chaps but like you my lead up is also fraught with hospitals and operations to SWMBO; Ajay will be my wingman as usual (though I cannot commit him without his say so - he will pitch in and as you may recall he is a chip shop bomber !).

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Steve, I am happy to fly on this important mission.

Alas this is the one show I really want to try and get to, but I am away in the lakes when it is on. My very best wishes to you and your good lady wife, here's to a speedy recovery.

Mickowenuk's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

I'll be there and can lend a hand for part of the day.

Have we got enough volunteers now Steve ?

There's you, me, Tim, Andrew, Mick for a bit of the day and Chris if he sorts out his work. Looks like its on.

I'm thinking two games, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. So, any ideas for scenarios, preferably one that we don't have to paint any kit for?

The sea plane scenario went down a storm last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    There's you, me, Tim, Andrew, Mick for a bit of the day and Chris if he sorts out his work. Looks like its on.

I'm thinking two games, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. So, any ideas for scenarios, preferably one that we don't have to paint any kit for?
    Gotha chip shop raid comes to mind - Maybe time limits (or fuel limits) could be imposed ? eg 90mins then we can plan breaks / tutes etc ?
    Will think it over whilst at Cavalier 2015 today !

Ah, will look out for you there Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Didn't see you !
    Nor me you.

Hi Steve,
    I am a probable for Salute, I will bring all my WWI kit as last year and fly whatever is needed.
    The train attack kit is pan century, (I swap tanks for more cattle vans) so if we are a mission short I can step up.

Sorry to hear about your wifes illness, I hope she gets well soon.

Thanks John. What's the train attack scenario all about? Sounds interesting.

Edit: and thanks for your best wishes
    Last edited by Guntruck; 03-02-2015 at 05:50.

Sorry guys, I can confirm that
    I will NOT be able to make it to salute this year, apologies but due to circumstances, sorry

Will be there, can bring gotha and anything I've got that's needed.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Chris.

So it looks like:

Moi
    Tim
    Dave
    Andrew
    John
    Si
    and Mick for part of the day.

I received the written confirmation today, along with 6 wristbands to get you in. I would suggest that the lads that are happy to stand around all day get a wristband, and I'm happy to contribute towards Mick's ticket. Mick, I suggest you get an advanced ticket at Ł10, because the thieving bar stewards are charging Ł15 on the day.

Does anyone who is turning up have one of the poncy Wings of Glory banners?

That's great Steve, me and Andrew will be there for the duration, don't have a banner though.
    Sorry you can't make it Chris, we'll keep the flag flying though !

........because the thieving bar stewards are charging Ł15 on the day.

That's great Steve, me and Andrew will be there for the duration, don't have a banner though.
    Sorry you can't make it Chris, we'll keep the flag flying though !
    You may have my Banner if John Biggles can get it down there and back. I won't need it after WMMS until Triples. I would trust him with any banner. he has been in charge of a much more important one than mine.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You may have my Banner if John Biggles can get it down there and back. I won't need it after WMMS until Triples. I would trust him with any banner. he has been in charge of a much more important one than mine.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Hopefully John can do that, otherwise I'm up for a trip to Nottingham - long time since I've been up there so might make a weekend of it.

Thanks Rob. Hopefully John can do that, otherwise I'm up for a trip to Nottingham - long time since I've been up there so might make a weekend of it.
    While I wouldn't want to get in the way of an excuse for a "trip" to Nottingham I 'm sure Rob and I can sort out banner collection, Salute for the use of, one.

The train attack scenario is a line of track, with trian component cards (courtesy of Max Headroom) for intrepid pilots to shoot up.

for WWI a B damage AAMG on a flat car could make things interesting. WWII get two double 20mm Oerlikon, one at each end, see the Hammerhead Pics.

I can let you have it at the end of WMMS on Sunday John. Then it's just a matter of getting it back to me.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    While I wouldn't want to get in the way of an excuse for a "trip" to Nottingham I 'm sure Rob and I can sort out banner collection, Salute for the use of, one.

The train attack scenario is a line of track, with trian component cards (courtesy of Max Headroom) for intrepid pilots to shoot up.

for WWI a B damage AAMG on a flat car could make things interesting. WWII get two double 20mm Oerlikon, one at each end, see the Hammerhead Pics.
    Yes, saw the pics now and like the look of that, so how about that for one game? And i would appreciate it if you can liaise with the Wingco for banner collection. Nottingham trip will have to wait, I think.

REF ~ SALUTE 2015

Hi one and all
    I appreciate I am anew kid on the block
    but would like to offer my help if of assistance / use?
    I live just off J28 M1
    I was intending to go to salute and drive down that morning and travel back that evening.
    IF of use and IF I understand this correctly.......
    A banner is in Nottingham...that may be needed at the show?
    if that is the case I could collect and return the banner as I will pass Nottingham on my
    North ~ South travels...
    I have a number of mats (8) in total
    I have a number of WW1 aircraft that I could bring along
    and would be delighted to offer a novice's assistance all day at the show if of use?
    If anyone is close to the M1 ~ on route and wants a lift there are two extra spaces in the car.....
    let me know if this is of help for the event and the team?
    Regards
    Simon
    Maverick

No need to bother about my banner Simon. It has gone South already, and will be returned to Sheffield for Triples, but thanks for your very kind offer.
    Rob.

Rob
    Understood
    If the team would like an additional pair of hands
    I would be happy to participate and assist?
    I will make myself known to the team,
    Regards
    Simon
    Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Rob
    Understood
    If the team would like an additional pair of hands
    I would be happy to participate and assist?
    I will make myself known to the team,
    Regards
    Simon
    Maverick
    Simon, an extra pair of hands is always welcome at a show, so please make yourself known and we will be happy to slot you in. No need to bring anything, between the rest of us we will have more than enough planes/mats etc.

Looks like there is another WW1 WoG participation game at Salute. The Shadow Warriors club have one listed. There is also a 1/72 Zeppelin game.
    What time are we reporting for duty on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Looks like there is another WW1 WoG participation game at Salute. The Shadow Warriors club have one listed. There is also a 1/72 Zeppelin game.
    What time are we reporting for duty on the day?
    I would have thought that the prats that put the lists together might at least have had the intelligence to add the name of the clubs that are putting on the games

Anyway up, we are on table GF11, in the middle of the hall and to the right. I'm going to be there early doors, but everyone else can aim for 9-ish. That will give us an hour to sort ourselves out, get coffee, show off our latest paint jobs, etc.

Wristband received.

I will bring the WingCo's banner with me - anything else specific that I should bring?

Not unless you want to bring your favourite plane to play with. I'll bring a box full to put on the end of the table for people to look at. John, what do you need for the train busting game?

Hmm... should I bring my totally unofficial RFC Spad XII Ca or would that be overkill ?!

I'll be at salute this year. I can't say I'll be much help (especially as my first foray into WoG is yet to arrive in the post) but it'll be good to meet up and get an idea of how to play.

Hmm... should I bring my totally unofficial RFC Spad XII Ca or would that be overkill ?!
    Yes, and yes What the hell, I may bring my RAF Lightnings (P38 not English Electric - that would be overkill) to do a little train busting.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperbait View Post
    I'll be at salute this year. I can't say I'll be much help (especially as my first foray into WoG is yet to arrive in the post) but it'll be good to meet up and get an idea of how to play.
    It will be a pleasure to initiate you into the dark arts Kieran. Welcome to the site by the way. Whereabouts in Essex are you from?

I live in Waltham Abbey but I travel up to Harwich every couple of weeks.

Does anyone know which retailers who may be selling WoG stuff will be attending Salute?

Stafford Games is the obvious one Kieran, Caliver Books is another but he can be pricey - there were several there last year but I cannot recall their names, can barely remember my own these days !

Stafford Games is the obvious one Kieran, Caliver Books is another but he can be pricey - there were several there last year but I cannot recall their names, can barely remember my own these days !
    Who are you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Ontario: Salute
    By Kenji in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 00:43
  2. Salute 2014
    By Mickowenuk in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 04:37
  3. Medals for Salute.