Ares Games

Thread: OTT Early Doors Mission 9 - The Last Gasp of the Somme - 15th September 1916

Default OTT Early Doors Mission 9 - The Last Gasp of the Somme - 15th September 1916

The morning of the 15th of September saw the Eagle Squadron in a state of chaos. Recently their beloved CO, Hartwig Alder, had been killed in action. Their leading ace and new CO was away in the hospital recovering from wounds. An influx of new 5 new pilots without a CO put them under the control of the squadron 6 miles to the north.

On this morning a flurry of reports came in of a new British attack. It seemed the British weren’t quite done with their Somme offensive. Today something was different though, the reports were desperate. The attack had broken the front trench line but that was not all. After a barrage, leading the attack were some lumbering beasts that had never been seen before. Metal monsters full of troops, cannons and machine guns that slowly crept forward, unwavering, unstoppable!

No time to sort things out, orders are to get every available man up as soon as possible. The Eagles were to attack the British on the ground while other squadrons would intercept and British flyers.
    Ltn Herman Beck and Ltn Konrad Schroeder were to fly the new Albatros DI as they had the most flying experience. Ltns Theodore Schwartz(camo DIII), Hugo Werner(brown DIII and Wilhelm Fischer(white DIII) would pilot Halberstdt DIIIs. They were told by the dispatch rider that it was imperative for them to help break up the attack. Their hard pressed infantry were retreating before the monsters and British infantry were following close behind. The second line must not be broken or a breakthrough by the British was possible. Reserves were being rushed to the sector but time was of the essence.

Just returning to the Bulldog Squadron was Commander Lt Agustus Owen. His absence had been sorely missed since his wounding several months ago. He was itching to get back in the air with his boys.

The briefing Lt Owen gave his pilots was short. Today was the beginning of a new assault that could change the war completely. While away he was informed of the attack plan and the new weapons that will be used. If this attack works, the Germans my not recover.
    The squadron was to provide air cover, pure and simple. Every pilot was to do his best to avoid getting entangled in any fights away from the ground battle. All six available pilots are to take off in 15 minutes. Lt Owen(silver N17), 2Lt William Tuffield(N17 red stripe), 2Lt David Haines(green N17) and Sgt Ronald Wortley would be flying Nieupotr 17s while 2Lt Cyril Farquahar and 2Lt Richard Rice-Owen would fly 2 seat 1 ½ Strutters.

5 miles from the battlefield the Bulldogs were jumped by 6 German machines. Sgt Wortley and the two Strutters took them on while Agustus led Haines and Tuffield on to the mission.

Crossing the lines they could see the Tommies going over the top with the new ‘tanks’ in the lead.
    They could also see they were not alone above the battlefield. Approaching the lines below them directly ahead were five German machines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 (1).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	157018

Hermann Beck was in command of the flight. His plan was to attack to the south and sweep the line towards the north. When the smoke and shells of the front line came into view he slipped south next to Hugo giving hand signals where to start the attack run. Konrad Schroeder did not follow and stayed north. Either he did not understand the plan or more likely his lone wolf instincts led him on his own path.

Name:	9 (2).jpg 
Size:	277.9 KB 
ID:	157019

As they were about to adjust to their final approach the southern four Eagles were jumped by British Nieuports! Hermann, Hugo and Theodore escaped any damage but Wilhelm’s plane was badly torn into. At least he thinks he saw his opponent flinch so maybe he wounded him, but jamming his gun first shot was troubling.
    Hugo jammed his guns returning fire and Hermann found his mark.

“Bad luck old boy”, Agustus thought, wounded immediately after months of recovery! At least it was just a scratch. He felt good about putting a hurt on his Hun. He also noticed the Hun hammering at his gun when he passed under.
    Tuffy thought after last mission’s two kills his third was moments away. In his excitement he came in on target but a bit too fast and missed.
    Haines lined up his EA but his gun jammed on the first round!

Name:	9 (3).jpg 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	157020

As the Nieuports quickly passed by, the Eagles knew they would have some time to attack the ground before the British could get back on them. Theodore again fired on the monsters but there was no effect. Hermann and Konrad straffed the infantry with deadly effect to the poor bloody infantry out in the open.

Name:	9 (4).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	157021

Name:	9 (5).jpg 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	157022
    (I show the German die roll for their target choice and place number chits (a die can be used) to show the infantry hits. When 6 is reached I turn over the tank card to the side with no infantry, showing a smoking tank)

After the initial pass both sides maneuver for the next, clearing their guns while there is time. Konrad tears into the infantry again, stripping away its support for the beast.

Name:	9 (6).JPG 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	157023

Name:	9 (7).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	157024

Name:	9 (8).JPG 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	157025

Name:	9 (9).jpg 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	157026

Name:	9 (10).jpg 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	157027

Theodore keeps a watchful eye on the British flyer while trying to set up another run at his ground target.
    Hugo and Wilhelm were so engrossed with their prey on the ground they were inattentive to each other’s position and collided! Hugo’s undercarriage hit Wilhelm and badly hurt him while also crushing the side of his Halberstadt.

Name:	9 (11).jpg 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	157028

Name:	9 (12).JPG 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	157029

Even with the collision both kept their prey in the crosshair and fired at the monsters, sadly to no effect. Konrad and Hermann also fired at the beasts but nothing happened. Tuffy got off a long range shot and scored on Hermann.
    Hermann, Konrad and Hugo again fired at the monsters, frustrating them with no visible effect. Agustus scores minor damage to Wilhelm and Theodore missed a long shot at Agustus.

Name:	9 (13).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	157030

Name:	9 (14).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	157031

Wilhelm and Theodore concentrate on the beasts below, doing no harm, as does Hugo. But, Hermann and Konrad watch with glee as the monsters below them belch out smoke and stop in their tracks. Men scamper out and run back towards their own trenches! 2Lt Haines gets in an unhampered shot at Hermann and scored an oil line as smoke starts spewing out from around it.
    With his plane in tatters and in serious pain, Wilhelm decides to head back to the aerodrome.

Name:	9 (15).jpg 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	157032

Hermann and Konrad keep firing at the monsters but both curse as their guns jam in unison. David Haines also keeps his eye on his target and tears into Hermann’s Albatros. With the smoke about him Hermann loses sight of David while trying to clear the jam. David also losed Hermann in the smoke and bears in too close and they touch wings.

Name:	9 (16).jpg 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	157033

Name:	9 (17).JPG 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	157034

Name:	9 (18).jpg 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	157035

Just after David clears the smoke Agustus gets a shot into Hermann. Coming out of the smoke David has lost his bearings and is horrified to see Agustus right in front of him. Both planes take massive damage as they collide. Agustus’ plane cannot withstand the impact and immediately goes down while David’s starts to smoke heavily.

Name:	9 (19).JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	157036

Name:	9 (20).JPG 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	157037

The two smoking planes approach each other with David the only one able to fire, but that ends as his gun jams. Up north Tuffy sets Konrad on fire.

Name:	9 (21).jpg 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	157038

Name:	9 (22).jpg 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	157039

Hugo scatters some infantry while Hermann fires on the beast in vain. David’s smoke blinds him and he veers right at Hugo. At the last second Hugo dives under the ball of smoke hurtling at him.

In avoiding the smoking Nieuport Hugo ended up with a perfect position to strafe the infantry again with deadly accuracy. Herman also picks off some infantry. Tuffy stays on Konrad and the Albatros’ engine sputters with erratic vibrations.

Name:	9 (23).jpg 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	157040

Name:	9 (24).JPG 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	157041

Name:	9 (25).jpg 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	157042

Hermann again hits the mudsloggers hard and strips them away from their monster. Tuffy doesn’t let up and keeps on Konrad’s tail. Konrad feels more than just the heat and knows he must try to get out of the fight. Trying to put out a fire is one thing but to do so with a damaged engine and an enemy on your tail is not what one trained for!

Theodore misses his target but the beast under Hugo stops dead, stuck in a large shell hole that it cannot free itself from.

Name:	9 (26).jpg 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	157043

Name:	9 (27).jpg 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	157044

Theodore misses again but Hermann finds David’s Nieuport and rips off some canvas. Tuffy’s great aim again hits Konrad’s leaky fuel line and re-ignites the fire.

Name:	9 (28).jpg 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	157045

David turns his green Nieuport to avoid Hermann and fires on Theodore. Theodore noticed some stiffness in his rudder but is happy to see the mud swallow up a beast below him. Konrad just can’t shake Tuffy as the fire intensifies with more hits to his engine.

Name:	9 (29).jpg 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	157046

Tuffy is relentless and finally downs the burning Albatros. David gets in a clean shot at Theodore but Hermann rips into him from behind sending the green Nieuport into a spin that sends him into the ground.

Name:	9 (30).jpg 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	157047

The three remaining Germans all attack the same monsters but can only jam their guns. With their unsuccessful last effort Hermann signals Hugo and Theodore to head home.

Tuffy, after watching his burning foe tumble to the ground turns to see three Germans heading for home in the distance. He is too far away to give chase so heads home himself.

Name:	9 (31).jpg 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	157048

Name:	9 (32).jpg 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	157049

Name:	9 (33).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	157050

Name:	9 (34).JPG 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	157051

Butcher’s Bill

Name:	9 (35).JPG 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	157052
    Lt Wilhelm Fischer RTB WIA dr 3 +3-1 =5 injured dr 1 miss 1 scenario

Name:	9 (36).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	157053
    Lt Theodore Schwartz RTB

Name:	9 (37).JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	157054
    Lt Hugo Werner RTB

Name:	9 (38).jpg 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	157055
    Lt Hermann Beck RTB 1 Kill

Name:	9 (40).JPG 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	157056
    Lt Konrad Schroeder SD FL dr 3-3 = 0 KIA

Name:	9 (39).JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	157057
    2Ltn Agustus Owen SD EXP FT dr 7 -3 -1 = 3 severely injured 4 = miss 4 scenarios

Name:	9 (41).jpg 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	157058
    Ltn David Haines SD FT dr 6 – 1 = 5 injured dr 4 = miss 2 scenarios

Name:	9 (42).jpg 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	157059
    Ltn William (Tuffy) Tuffield RTB 1 Kill

British ground forces lose 4 tanks, one of the remaining tanks has no infantry support, ending in a German victory.
    Last edited by flash; 02-10-2015 at 08:16. Reason: Prefix changed

I know you like to attract fire Rob, but have you ever been hit with 3 fires in one engagement? Konrad may have one or two upped you!

What a marathon of a fire fight Peter.
    I can't claim three fires at once. The nearest I have come to it is two fires at once and smoking at the same time.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Probably a three up there Peter. WOW, what a furball of action. Thought for sure the Eagles were going to lose that one. Well done for stopping the final push.
    See you on the Dark Side......

It was touch and go. It gets frustrating when you roll and have a shot at the infantry and pull a damage card that would have taken out a tank! The reverse also goes, you shoot at a tank but get high hits that count for nothing.

I playtested this one 6-7 times and usually won or lost by one. 9 turns with a lot to do, be prepared for a long game!

Poor old Gus, first mission back and you put him through the meat grinder again ! Looks like Tuffy will have to keep running the flight until he gets back; third kill for him makes him the top scoring Tommy AI pilot and ties him with a few Jerry AI pilots ripping into the Bulldog formations !
    Great action - great AAR - Well done Peter

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks Flash. Yes, poor Gus back to the ward and done in by one of his own to boot. Stay clear of those rookie pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Name:	9 (34).JPG 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	157051
    Love this pic! Fantastic scenario, Peter... it wasn't a perfect showing for the Eagles, but you can't argue with success! It's a shame about Schroeder... thankfully Fischer's wounds won't keep him grounded for long.

Thumbs up

What an absolute screamer of a mission Peter.
    Man that had everything. Fire, smoke, explosions, collisions & wounds aplenty.
    Well done to your chaps for blunting the final push.

Ooops, I just noticed I rolled odd for shots at tanks and even for infantry. I can't even follow my own rules!
    At least I got the odds correct!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-12-2015 at 05:30.

Yow, nasty fight. Gut Gemacht, Adler!

Red face

Ooops, I just noticed I rolled odd for shots at tanks and even for infantry. I can't even follow my own rules!
    I know how you feel Peter. Played this today & about the 3rd Turn realised I read your instructions re the German planes wrong!
    I thought you had the choice of 3 x Halberstadt's or 2 Albatros D.1's . Noticed the mistake & brought on another D.1 & 2 more Halberstadt's using the story line that German reinforcements had arrived as by that time the British planes had passed through the first wave of D.1's. Stupid me!

Also played for 12 turns to give the Hun's more shooting. What a marathon, took over 50 photos---but really great fun.

Probably no AAR till Sunday our time as got a big day Saturday & visitors tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing your reinforcement variation of this.

Quite a classic you have there Peter. Looking forward to shooting up those German tin cans this weekend and avenging the Bulldogs.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Quite a classic you have there Peter. Looking forward to shooting up those German tin cans this weekend and avenging the Bulldogs.
    The tin cans on the ground are actually British, so if you shoot them up I'm sure the Kaiser will appreciate it.

The tin cans on the ground are actually British, so if you shoot them up I'm sure the Kaiser will appreciate it.
    Just testing

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That was a bit of a meat-grinder Peter - well done the Eagles for stopping their part of the final push, but I am sure the Bulldogs will manage to protect other parts successfully

Great battle Peter, lots of action. I like the angle of your photos, do you use a step ladder or are you nine feet tall

Wow Peter, you had one heck of a fight there!
    you were right about it being a long one, I started to put my table top together just before 9 am, and finally dismantled it at just after 7 pm. One 15 min break for food and necessity at 12ish
    I was glad to go back to work for a rest!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Wow Peter, you had one heck of a fight there!
    you were right about it being a long one, I started to put my table top together just before 9 am, and finally dismantled it at just after 7 pm. One 15 min break for food and necessity at 12ish
    I was glad to go back to work for a rest!
    Maybe I should have called this scenario 'The Homewrecker"?

Similar Missions

1. BRF Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 12:00
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme - 19th August 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:13
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 1--Fish in a Barrel--Jan 15th 1916
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 09:33
  4. AAR Early Doors Mission 1--Fish in a Barrel--15th Jan 1916 by skafloc.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 09:11
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 03:28