Ares Games

Thread: Quick Question: Rings or No Rings?

Default Quick Question: Rings or No Rings?

Yes, this is a question about putting a ring on it...

Daryl (Reduced Aircraft Factory) has some great looking observers for sale on Shapeways... do I want them with or without rings? I'm looking more towards early to mid-war aircraft for the Entente (Fees, 1-1/2 Strutters) and a variety of aircraft for the Germans (DFWs, some early Albatros C-types, etc.). I think I need the "no rings" option... but I'm not certain.

Any help would be most appreciated... thanks!

Chris

It really is dependent on the aircraft - the DFW had a scarf ring as did the Albatros C-Types the 1-1/2 Strutters is dependent on era.

I would say get the ringed version as it can easily be removed where as to add a scare ring requires some modeling skills

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    It really is dependent on the aircraft - the DFW had a scarf ring as did the Albatros C-Types the 1-1/2 Strutters is dependent on era.
    That's what I was afraid of...

I would say get the ringed version as it can easily be removed where as to add a scare ring requires some modeling skills
    Of which I have nearly none... Good thought. Thanks, James.

I recently had to add a scarf ring to one of my models and it required thin guage brass rob, a o.3mm drill bit and a very steady hand.

I recently had to add a scarf ring to one of my models and it required thin guage brass rob, a o.3mm drill bit and a very steady hand.
    Let's see... no, no, and no. I've none of those... well, maybe I could dig up a 0.3mm drill bit, if my life depended upon it.

I agree with James, especially with the Entente observers, because you've got not only the ring, but the elevation bar, and those are hard to hand-model. (Believe me, I wish that Shapeways could print those parts in a smaller radius!)

They're available both in WSF and FUD materials. It might be harder to trim them in FUD material, as it's rather brittle. I like the look of the FUD (much smoother and more detailed), but it's much more of a pain to work with.

I would say get the ringed version as it can easily be removed
    That's the same conclusion I arrived at - worked out well enough.

Similar Missions

1. Rubber o rings for AA bases
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 02:18
  2. Rubber O rings.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 00:13
  3. Rubber retainer rings
    By Boney10 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 1