Ares Games

Thread: Adding More Altitude Variance to the Play (Pitch Chips)

Lord of Girth's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Default Adding More Altitude Variance to the Play (Pitch Chips)

I was inspired by another post discussing the advantages/dis-advantages of allowing Climbing and Diving every turn - using the Blue and White Paths on the maneuver cards as ascend or descend paths.

This resonated with me, as I believe altitude does not play an integral part of the play during a battle. Altitude is hard to obtain quickly.

I imagine actual dogfights were fought in 3 dimensions. You could move your stick in any of 360 degrees. Current rules allow left or right or up or down (except special juke maneuvers, of course). By adding pitch to every turn, you could perform a climbing turn left. Or a break from formation with a steep dive right.... etc. etc.

The ability to climb or dive quickens. Making it an integral part of the play.

This weekend, planning a round of cut-throat - two on two on two on two- with the Blackburn brothers... Hope to have my bro John in tow - just in case things get heated! We are going to try adding the "pitch chips" to the play - to see if we can use altitude more readily.

Here is the content from my house rule sheet (attached).

Please let me know your thoughts on how it would affect the game.
    Also, I'd love to hear from anyone that has played this way.

Thanks,
    Joe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a dog fight, level flight is the exception. Altitudes will change constantly. Think of the Blue and White paths on the maneuver card as attitude or pitch, and not solely as speed. For every turn left, right or straight, the airplane can also ascend or descend. You can control the pitch and vary altitude with every play. Ascend up to one climb counter, or descend up to 3 climb counters. (Or fly level fast or slow)

Designate your airplane’s attitude by placing one pitch chip on the planned card during the planning phase. The blue path on any card is traveled for all descents and fast plays. The white path is traveled for all ascents or slow plays.

Play the CLIMB CARD to perform a climb maneuver. Add 1 Climb Counter. (plus 1 Climb Counter for your Pitch Chip) Next play must be Climb or Slow Level.

Play the DIVE CARD to perform a dive maneuver. Subtract 1,000 ft. from your altitude (1 Peg) (plus up to 3 Climb Counters for your Pitch Chip)
    Next play must be Dive or Fast Level.

Any tailing pilot can see the hunted airplane’s next maneuver card, but not their pitch chip.
    Attached Files

i did something similar by modifying some speed counters, basically you have the 4 standard counters ( slow, fast and 2 neutral) + 2 additional, first one is a slow speed that will additionally make you climb up one level and turn the maneuver into a steep one (cant be played on steep maneuvers), second one is a fast speed that will additionally make you dive down two levels and turn the maneuver into a steep one

climb and dive cards are only used for steep climbs (gaining 2 levels, only available to airplanes with a climb rate of 3 or better) and steep dive (dropping 4 levels)

altitude range usually goes from 1 to 8-10

note that i use all this in combination with the simplified altitude rules already posted on this forum

I just looked up your original post Claudio and like the idea of the extra speed counters with the orange dot.
    In fact that whole thread may be of interest to those reading this one.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Dive-and-Bank

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for adding that link. That conversation is what inspired adding the pitch chips. Sounds like those that have played with climbing/diving every turn, liked how it played. Didn't see any disadvantages.

Going to give it a try this Sunday.

Thanks for the input.

Joe

Just saw this... thanks for the rules, Joe, and the link to the earlier discussion, Rob. I think I remember that conversation happening last year, but I didn't take much not as I wasn't playing WGS at that time.

Quick question, Joe. If not using actual altitude (as per your conversion chart), am I right to assume that your rules can be worked within the framework of the original rules, insofar as you increase an altitude level once you've accumulated a number of climb counters (based on aircraft rate of climb)?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Yep- these rules fit inside standard WGS rules. We use the climb rates of each airplane. The chart just helps calculate the "odd" numbers. We have stated considering climb counters when calculating long or close range. Or out of range. Really adds to the dog fight. Have to keep an eye on the altimeter at all times. Have to keep closer watch on your opponents as well.

Similar Missions

1. Do you play WoW or Dow with altitude rules?
    By Nightbomber in forum Polls
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-13-2023, 01:46
  2. Tutorial: Adding an Avitar.
    By gully_raker in forum Site Rules and Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2020, 05:23
  3. 109's cheap as chips
    By Dowters in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2016, 22:06
  4. Adding your self to the Player Map.