Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways DV to DIII

Default Shapeways DV to DIII

I recently picked up a rather nice painted and decalled Shapeways DVa it was for a pilot I currently do not have so for £8 a bargin for me.
    When I got home and checked I saw the named pilot was flying a DIII not a DV, unless somebody can tell me different. So I quickly added a piece of plastic rod to simulate the DIII engine.
    What do you think?

Vzfw Walter Reichenback
    Jasta 5
    Shapeways DVa converted to DIII

Hey Chris,

I've not concluded a lengthy investigation, but you're correct so far as I can see: the markings on that D.III look like those of a Jasta 5 Albatros D.III (serial 2217/16) in 1917. Pilots included Hans Berr and Josef Mai, in addition to Walter Reichenbach.

I'm still looking for a picture of a Reichenbach's D.V but -- in the mean time -- Osprey's Aviation Elite Unites #26, Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke' (von Richthofen's Mentor) claims that the Albatros D.V Reichenbach crashed late in the evening of 8 October 1917 was Albatros D.V 2098/17 and displaying a black fuselage dotted with white.

Hi Chris, the source I was looking at is Albatross pubs special Jagdstaffel 5 Vol 1
    It shows on inside cover Albatross DIII 2217/16 it did belong to both Hans Berr and Joseph Mai, however there is a Number 1 underneath which depicts it moved from No3 hanger, Joseph Mai, to number 1.
    Reichenbach crashed this aircraft on 25 July1917. That is the source I used

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi Chris, the source I was looking at is Albatross pubs special Jagdstaffel 5 Vol 1
    It shows on inside cover Albatross DIII 2217/16 it did belong to both Hans Berr and Joseph Mai, however there is a Number 1 underneath which depicts it moved from No3 hanger, Joseph Mai, to number 1.
    Reichenbach crashed this aircraft on 25 July1917. That is the source I used
    Interesting. I wonder when Reichenbach switched to a D.V and if it was then that he changed personal livery? Or, was the white-spotted black fuselage D.V (2098/17) another pilot's kite?

Nice work wish I could work on this small scale.

Nice looking plane Chris. The paint job and decals look fine to me!
    Your engine rod conversion is grand!

One question:-
    Should a DIII have a near-vertical rear edge to the rudder, or did late-model DIIIs have the same rounded rudder as the DV/DVa>

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    One question:-
    Should a DIII have a near-vertical rear edge to the rudder, or did late-model DIIIs have the same rounded rudder as the DV/DVa>
    The rounded rudder was used on some of the late-model D.IIIs produced by the OAW (Ost-deutsche Albatros Werke).

One other difference I look for in the D.III is that the piece housing the tail skid has an almost vertical rear edge; on the D.V it's much more angular. (The Austrian D.III's were angular too.) Also the fuselage sides were flatter on the D.III.

Thanks for that info Daryl.

I'm now one step closer to identifying a Shapeways Albatros I acquired without knowing which model it was!

Similar Missions

1. Pfalz DIII/a
    By Twisted_terrain in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 18:51
  2. FUD My first Shapeways. Alb DIII and Nieuports!
    By rkwright in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-14-2014, 14:01
  3. Halberstadt DIII S*******s
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 10:32
  4. SHAPEWAYS FB5 and HALBERSTADT DIII COMPLETED
    By COLBATMAN in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 01:53
  5. DVa or DIII??