Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916

Default Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916

The Last Gasp of the Somme, the battle at Flers Courcelette, 15 Sept. 1916

On July 1st 1916 a massive bombardment signaled the beginning of the Battle of the Somme. The planned breakthrough did not happen. After a disastrous 1st day, plans were quickly changed. (60,000 British casualties, 20,000 dead and 40,000 missing and wounded) Numerous smaller attacks followed from July to September, but little ground was gained.

Thinking that a breakthrough was possible before the autumn rains set in General Douglas Haig, Commander of the British Expeditionary Force, ordered an attack using the Entente’s secret weapon, tanks. Only 49 were available. His staff and the French wanted to wait until the spring when hundreds would be available to overwhelm the Germans. Haig’s persistence won out and tanks would be used in the year’s last effort to breakthrough.
    The 15th of September began the last phase of the Battle of the Somme.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	British_Mark_I_male_tank_Somme_25_September_1916.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	156260

Name:	british-tanks-in-wwi-battle-underwood-archives.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	156261

Only 36 of the 49 tanks made it to the start line. Of these only 18 participated successfully in the attack many breaking down or getting mired early on the battlefield.

Name:	WWI-British-Tank-Captured-By-Germans-6.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	156262

Even with the few that made the attack the Germans were surprised, but not panicked. Some of the objectives and 2500 yards were gained but the breakthrough did not happen.

Name:	Battle-Damaged-WWI-British-Tank-4.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	156263

The tanks were unreliable and how to use them effectively was not yet known. Many think Haig wasted the surprise with the small number used but others think what was learned was well worth showing their hand.

The scenario:

The German front line trenches have been breached! The objective of the attack is to also breach the second trench line, breaking the German line and ending the stalemate in the west. Reserves were at the ready to exploit the gap when the German line ruptured.

On the British side:
    Early morning, 15 September, 1916. A morning attack with surprise for the Germans, tanks! An attack with secret weapons even we don’t know we have! The squadron is to fly an air control mission over the battlefield. Stop any Germans from interfering with the ground attack.

On the Germans side:
    Early morning, 15 September, 1916. The aerodrome is abuzz. Frantic messages of lumbering giants attacking from the west. All available planes are to take to the air. Other squadrons are assigned to occupy the British flyers, your squadron is to do anything and everything possible to disrupt the attack of the giants. What are they we don’t know but they are pushing back our front line infantry.
    The Germans have a surprise of their own, a new model scout. A twin machine gun Albatros DI.

Entente forces:
    6 tanks spaced evenly across the front with ˝ measure stick between them.
    3 Nieuport 17s (B firing) one stand space behind the tanks.

Central Powers forces:
    spaced evenly across front,
    3 Halberstade DIIIs (B firing)
    2 Albatross DIs (A firing) You can use DIIs as the stats are the same.

Set up:
    2 mats with long sides in contact.
    German trench line 2 measure rulers from the western map edge.
    British tanks set up adjacent to the trench line, spaced evenly across the front with ˝ measure stick between them.
    British scouts set one base space to the rear of the tanks.
    German scouts 3 ˝ measure sticks from the tanks, spaced evenly across the front.

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG 
Views:	717 
Size:	314.7 KB 
ID:	156264

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG 
Views:	716 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	156265

British tank rules:
    The tanks will rumble along across the German trenches and beyond in an easterly direction.
    Tanks use the XA deck. Just pull out one straight, one right and one left turn.
    At the beginning of a turn, after all planes (player and AI) have chosen their turns 3 maneuver cards, roll one d6 for each tank, 1-2 turn right, 3-4 straight, 5-6 turn left.
    A tank will never turn twice towards the same direction. Whenever it tries to, turn it back to the east heading. (ie turn one = left, turn tank left. Turn 2 = left, turn tank right)
    So, at the beginning of a turn, the tanks will move one XA card. That is their move for the entire turn.
    Tanks will not overlap. If more than one tank wants to occupy the same place, randomly chose the order of movement holding back any that can’t advance.
    Tanks and planes will not move off of the playing surface. Keep them on board however you see fit.

I have made tank cards with 2 sides, one with infantry and one without. Once the infantry has been removed flip it to the tank only side. The cards don’t have to be exactly the same size as all the WGF cards. They are just slow moving targets.

For the cards, go to the Files section, House Rules, 6 Tanks front and back. Here

(If anyone needs the XA cards email me. XC could also be used)

British special firing rule:
    For each Nieuport’s first shot at a German plane, give it a +1 damage. This is to simulate them bouncing the Germans as they are concentrating on their ground targets.

Special Rules for the Germans:
    When the AI Germans have a choice to fire, fire at the closest range band with a target.
    When firing at a tank card, roll a d6, 1-3 fire at the tank, 4-6 fire at the accompanying infantry. (if no infantry present, fire at the tank)
    If there is a tank card and Nieuport in the same range band, 1-2 fire at the Nieuport, 3-4 tank, 5-6 infantry.
    +1 for consecutive shots at infantry are possible, not for elevation.

Example below:
    The Halberstadt has two targets in the long range band. Roll a die, on a 1-2 it will fire on the Nieuport, 3-4 it will fire on the tanks, 5-6 it will fire on the infantry. (with 2 previous hit points) If the tank/infantry card was at close range and the Nieuport was at long range, just roll for targeting on the tank/infantry card.

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG 
Views:	715 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	156266

When firing at a tank, draw from the A or B deck normally. Tanks are immobilized (removed) on explosion, fire and engine damage. (This is more to its own breakdown and German artillery, not being destroyed from the air) Only the special damage listed has any effect. Any damage points are ignored.
    Whenever an explosion, fire or engine damage is drawn if using single decks, reshuffle all cards back into the appropriate deck. (note plane’s damage)
    When firing at infantry, only the damage points are counted. Airplane guns will jam normally.
    Flip the tank cards to the no infantry side when it has accumulated 6 hits. An explosion card drawn when firing at infantry will eliminate the infantry.

The trenches will not fire at any airplanes. The lines have been breached and the infantry are in retreat.
    The infantry accompanying the tanks will not fire at any airplanes. They are busy advancing through the shell holes, ducking any German MG fire and following the tanks.

Game length is 9 turns.

Entente victory is achieved by having 3 surviving tank cards with infantry support, or any 4 tank cards total still on the board.

German victory is achieved by avoiding the Entente victory condition.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-02-2015 at 07:20.

There is a lot going on in this scenario. 9 turns will take some time to complete if it goes the distance. It may feel odd as the Germans are using the tank cards as their AI opponents and the British play as usual.

I just finished my last playtest, all 3 Nieuports had to return to base with wounds or engine damage. At one point all 3 Halberstadts were on fire! None of them survived. It came down to the last shot on turn 9. One long range shot that had to either destroy a tank or put 3 hits to take out the supporting infantry. Infantry was rolled for the target and a 3 point damage card was drawn. I was flying one of the Nieuports.

I hope some of you can have as an exciting game as I had.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-30-2015 at 20:16.

Going to be tight this one Peter.
    See you on the Dark Side......

This will be a handful !
    Peter can you check the Tank Card attachments as they are not working - have you dropped them into the files section ? - they may just be waiting in the mod Q.
    A copy of your trench system may be useful for some too !
    Last edited by flash; 01-31-2015 at 02:51.

"He is wise who watches"

Looks a doozer.
    Pity I only have three tank models. Looks as if the cards will have to do.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'll put the tank/infantry cards into the files, house rules.

The trench isn't necessary, none of the measurments for set up use the trench. (just for looks) They are made of poster board, 6 1/4" x 22", a brown textured spray paint and black magic marker.

They are hand made so not on a file. I'll photo them and put them with the tank/infantry cards.

Ok, just uploaded the files. When they are posted I'll put in the proper links. Not sure why the first ones for the cards didn't work. For some reason it didn't like my page with 6 front and back cards. I loaded the full size single of each. You'll have to resize it yourself.

Got them thanks Peter.
    Rob.

Quite a complex game this one peter.
    I see you anticipated the snow storm and you not getting out of the house for a few days when you thought this one up

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Quite a complex game this one peter.
    I see you anticipated the snow storm and you not getting out of the house for a few days when you thought this one up
    You got that right! It was something. Over 2 feet and drifts over 4! And if that's not enough, we will get another 10-14" Monday. When this is over my biceps will be enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Got them thanks Peter.
    Rob.
    I just uploaded a file with 6 cards, front and back on one sheet. Much easier to print.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    You got that right! It was something. Over 2 feet and drifts over 4! And if that's not enough, we will get another 10-14" Monday. When this is over my biceps will be enormous.
    This calls for Dragonlady ,,,,

Thumbs up

Very inventive scenario Peter!
    Will look forward to playing this one.

Ok, just uploaded the files. When they are posted I'll put in the proper links. Not sure why the first ones for the cards didn't work. For some reason it didn't like my page with 6 front and back cards. I loaded the full size single of each. You'll have to resize it yourself.
    What size do you recommend Peter ? Standard 68mm x 44mm or should they be bigger?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    What size do you recommend Peter ? Standard 68mm x 44mm or should they be bigger?
    As long as they are somewhat close to the size of a normal WOG card I think that will work fine. The ones I have in the set up photo are slightly larger. I am going to reprint mine now that I have the backs for them.
    I would think Germans want larger and British player want smaller?
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-01-2015 at 15:15.

I would think Germans want larger and British player want smaller?
    Just like Bratwurst!!!!

...I would think Germans want larger and British player want smaller?

Table is set up, engines & guns warmed up, flight leader revved up - let me see what damage he can do !

"He is wise who watches"

Table is set up, engines & guns warmed up, flight leader revved up - let me see what damage he can do !
    Have at 'em Dave. Haig is counting on you for a breakthrough!

My flight just spotted your chaps in the distance at the end of our patrol area Dave. Report to follow shortly.
    Rob.

Eagles prepped, ready and waiting sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Eagles prepped, ready and waiting sir.
    To the sky then with you ASAP!

My conclusion so far is that the Eagles are not good at ground attack - though they have not yet been tested against the side of a barn !
    Armoured behemoths are now rampaging about the Huns rear areas and if that's not worth an "Oo-er Missus" I don't know what is ! Now if I can just get my pics into the fecking computer I can craft an AAR !
    Ahh - switch off and switch on - there you go !!

"He is wise who watches"

My conclusion so far is that the Eagles are not good at ground attack - though they have not yet been tested against the side of a barn !
    Armoured behemoths are now rampaging about the Huns rear areas and if that's not worth an "Oo-er Missus" I don't know what is ! Now if I can just get my pics into the fecking computer I can craft an AAR !
    Ahh - switch off and switch on - there you go !!
    As requested Dave

Francis ! Ah... saw him live once many moons ago in Bexhill or Hastings - he was brilliant !

"He is wise who watches"

Met hmi at Charing Cross Hospital orthopeadic clinic - x-rayed him (5 mins) and chatted with him (half hour plus!) Thoroughly nice chap.

Kure & Yokusaka got in the way, sorry.

To the sky then with you ASAP!

Kure & Yokusaka got in the way, sorry.
    Just got in my Dauntless and Avenger order. I will soon get to the Pacific myself....

Well, flown today. My usual "flaming" good time (3 flamers in the first pass ), and a nail-biter to the last shot on the last card of turn 9 (spoiler - Hans Hubner is now called the "tank killer" and practically single-handedly stopped the British breakthrough)

Will write up over the weekend

Sounds great Brian. Can't wait for your report.

That sounds an exciting sortie Brian. It will be something to look forward to after Hammerhead tomorrow.
    Rob.

Would you f'n believe it. Just flown mission 9, set up 10 and I've been called into work for an emergency!

What emergency?

You might well ask...to change two light bulbs!

Might get 10 done when I get back, doubt it though.

How many Squadron Leaders does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answers on a P.C. to Wingco Kyte.
    There will be rep for the best answer received before Neil gets back and sees this.
    Rob.

Mission 9 hangsd in the balance, you are the tie breaker! No pressure Neil.

Would you f'n believe it. Just flown mission 9, set up 10 and I've been called into work for an emergency!

What emergency?

How many Squadron Leaders does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answers on a P.C. to Wingco Kyte. There will be rep for the best answer received before Neil gets back and sees this. Rob.
    The correct answer in this case should be one but it takes 3 manoeuvre cards to get into position...!

"He is wise who watches"

Depends on the light bulb. If its a difficult bulb and jams on going in there goes 3 more cards before another attempt. If one breaks and he is wounded, back down the ladder to the MO, 6 cards minimum. When he breaks one and pulls a fire card, all bets are off.

Card 1 to get into position, card 2 to change the bulb, card 3 to move to the next bulb, card 4 to change bulb 2! So minimum of 4 cards WingCo.

Well all done and dusted, 1 of the bulbs is not the bulb, which I told them yesterday, it's the fitting! (need to call an electrician in for that one).

In - twist - withdraw.... bayonet cap fitting - Lets see your warry face and hear your battle cry !

1. "YAAaaaagh-(grimace severely)" Whilst grasping said item delicately between forefinger and thumb, of whichever hand you prefer, screw in gently (few bayonets in our home, pointy things are dangerous) until item is firmly seated in recepticle.

2. Down, test and adjust (clothing-no builders bums in our home thank you very much).

3. Walk adroitly to light switch and-bingo let there be light.

Card 1 to get into position, card 2 to change the bulb, card 3 to move to the next bulb, card 4 to change bulb 2! So minimum of 4 cards WingCo.

Well all done and dusted, 1 of the bulbs is not the bulb, which I told them yesterday, it's the fitting! (need to call an electrician in for that one).
    I take it that you are back then Neil so your answer is ineligible.
    I have three answers only, the one from Dave and Peter, and the only one which was sent on a PC to my inbox by Tim.

2 - one to change the bulb, and one to replace the Aspidistra!

All good answers but I am going to give the accolade to Tim.
    However, they were all worthy of rep.
    Rob.

Sounds like a decisive victory.

1. "YAAaaaagh-(grimace severely)" Whilst grasping said item delicately between forefinger and thumb, of whichever hand you prefer, screw in gently (few bayonets in our home, pointy things are dangerous) until item is firmly seated in recepticle.

2. Down, test and adjust (clothing-no builders bums in our home thank you very much).

3. Walk adroitly to light switch and-bingo let there be light.

What emergency?

when you said called up for work I thought you had a place on the team for next week vs Everton

Nearly did but I was the 12th person Sunderland called and told them I was unavailable, then I got a call from the Toon and blow it I just couldn't fit it in.

Nearly did but I was the 12th person Sunderland called and told them I was unavailable, t
    And that was for the manager's job.
    Rob.

I will be flying this mission for a second time, having made several key mistakes the first time. Looking over my notes from the game, I have a few of questions about the solo rules in general:

1. One of the AI pilots received a wounded pilot card with sufficient damage points to cause the pilot to disengage. The card was drawn during the first maneuver of a turn. I played the next two maneuvers as planned, and then chose cards giving the most direct route back to base. Was this a proper way to play this?

2. One of the AI planes sustained sufficient damage to cause disengagement - within 3 points of destruction. This occurred with a maneuver left in the turn. Like above, I executed the maneuver and then chose the cards that provided the most direct route back to base. Was this a proper way to play this?

3. One set of AI maneuvers would have resulted in the AI plane flying off the mat. I adjusted the final card to keep the plane in play. Was this proper?

Thanks
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Eric, I think you did everything correct in all 3 cases here. If you have any questions on scenario 9 don't hesitate to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I will be flying this mission for a second time, having made several key mistakes the first time. Looking over my notes from the game, I have a few of questions about the solo rules in general:

1. One of the AI pilots received a wounded pilot card with sufficient damage points to cause the pilot to disengage. The card was drawn during the first maneuver of a turn. I played the next two maneuvers as planned, and then chose cards giving the most direct route back to base. Was this a proper way to play this?

2. One of the AI planes sustained sufficient damage to cause disengagement - within 3 points of destruction. This occurred with a maneuver left in the turn. Like above, I executed the maneuver and then chose the cards that provided the most direct route back to base. Was this a proper way to play this?

3. One set of AI maneuvers would have resulted in the AI plane flying off the mat. I adjusted the final card to keep the plane in play. Was this proper?

Thanks

And that was for the manager's job.
    Rob.
    Cutting Rob cutting

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post

Thanks
    Rest easy Eric. With cards like that causing the whole flight to disappear a slight of hand can be condoned for the enjoyment and smooth play of the game.

Thanks Guys.

I look forward to the replay. I will re-fly it and have the AAR written by the end of next week - a wonderful way to start a week off from work.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

It certainly is , Enjoy Eric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 09-14-2015, 05:25
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme - 19th August 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16