Ares Games

Thread: survival after crash

Question survival after crash

I'm very new to the game, so please excuse my question if it's elementary.

Is there any rule, official or house, regarding a pilot's chances of survival after getting shot down?

I only have access to the Basic Rules that come with the Duel Pack, and they don't address this.

(And yes, I know, I absolutely need to get the Rules and Accessories Pack. I plan on it!)

I know that such a rule is completely unnecessary for a simple dogfight, but given my RPG background (I cut my teeth on D&D in the 1980s) I can't help but want to start keeping track of missions, kills, and the like.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    James

The short Midway Rising WWII campaign started by Blackronin has a simple method of rolling a single die. 1-3 is KIA and 4-6 counts as them bailed out or crash landed. I believe some people have added plus or minus rules as well. Example: if your pilot is a rookie it's 1-4 KIA and 5-6 bailed out. As for an official rule I don't believe there is any so you could come up with your own way of managing pilots who are shot down and post it here and see what advice people may provide?

Just have a look around in the campaign sections on the forum, some gents have ongoing rosters. I personally haven't taken part in any campaign but I do like following the action.

Quote Originally Posted by RJames View Post
    I'm very new to the game, so please excuse my question if it's elementary.

Is there any rule, official or house, regarding a pilot's chances of survival after getting shot down?
    One set is the "Forced Down" rules at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2069

The first one is the one they use for WWII. It's the ones my son and I are going to follow for our "campaign".

Question though - how do you choose pilots for each scenario? Roll a die?
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 01-30-2015 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    The middle one is the one they use for WWII. It's the ones my son and I are going to follow for our "campaign".

Question though - how do you choose pilots for each scenario? Roll a die?
    Its a personal choice. What I tend to do is have 2 pilots as Player Characters (PC) who you fly , and the rest are NPC (non player characters) who you fly using AI solo rules. for any mission you choose if you want a PC to fly or have all the flight NPC just as you would if you were CO of the Squadron. If a pilot is wounded he is grounded for whatever time the the dice role dictated. Thus a pilot out for 2 missions is deemed not on the slate for a sortie. until he has been seen by the MO declared fit for duty. 2 missions after his wounds/crash.

Thing is to make it fun and to reflect the fact you will lose NPC and PC pilots in the campaign, but hey thats what makes every sortie different. Would you risk your PC pilot in a final swoop on a fighter or retire to fight another day ???
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 01-30-2015 at 10:13.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Ah, makes sense. So sometimes your entire scenario is NPC's being AI'd? Do you fly against your "enemy" NPC squadron as well? So they get better too?

I think we will spend tonight creating our squadron's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Ah, makes sense. So sometimes your entire scenario is NPC's being AI'd? Do you fly against your "enemy" NPC squadron as well? So they get better too?

I think we will spend tonight creating our squadron's.
    Yes, and yes. I had two "enemy" NPC aces who claimed more victories than all but one of my PCs & "friendly" NPCs.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Its a personal choice. What I tend to do is have 2 pilots as Player Characters (PC) who you fly , and the rest are NPC (non player characters) who you fly using AI solo rules. for any mission you choose if you want a PC to fly or have all the flight NPC just as you would if you were CO of the Squadron. If a pilot is wounded he is grounded for whatever time the the dice role dictated. Thus a pilot out for 2 missions is deemed not on the slate for a sortie. until he has been seen by the MO declared fit for duty. 2 missions after his wounds/crash.

Thing is to make it fun and to reflect the fact you will lose NPC and PC pilots in the campaign, but hey thats what makes every sortie different. Would you risk your PC pilot in a final swoop on a fighter or retire to fight another day ???
    Would you find the matches weigh too heavy in your favour if you controlled all of one side's aircraft and had the enemy controlled just by AI?

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Would you find the matches weigh too heavy in your favour if you controlled all of one side's aircraft and had the enemy controlled just by AI?
    Not necessarily. Thats the joy of the solo rules for AI craft they can throw you a curved ball at any time. Plus the chance of the damage cards causing you to for example RTB if your AI is wounded means each game is different. . Being in rural France most of my games are solo or Skype and I never get the same game twice.

Try using The Universal Diceless Solo Deck - in the House Rules forum of Wings of Glory Aerodrome by our good friend Joaquim or the solo rules by Richard"Herkybird" Bradley in the files section.

What appears to be a great feature of the campaigns listed are that each scenario has that built in. Ie, it seems like the AI usually has an additional plane. And those solo rules are pretty interesting.

I think you could if you controlled all the aircraft - In the OTT campaign most are only flying one, maybe two aircraft on their side not all of them, AI controls the rest of their aircraft & the enemy; that is the key. You lose that 'Godlike' control over your forces and they do their own thing.
    I have been shot down & finished a game using just AI on more than one occasion - more than I care to remember so I can say the system works.

Getting onto the question of pilot survival following crashes etc the OTT system is weighted to survival for the sake of campaign continuity for the storytellers but we do still lose pilots and crew when the dice rolls don't go our way.

"He is wise who watches"

I agree with Dave . The OTT campaign for example has been running for over 3 yrs now and I cannot recount an AAR where the PC planes completely wiped the floor of the AI guys. I have lost more than 3 PC pilots to AI planes so I feel its as true a reflection of solo gaming as possible.

It is incredible how often your NPC pilots wander off from the apparent action, only to appear suddenly again near the culmination of a game, and deliver a killing blow from a pristine aircraft.
    It has saved young Kyte's bacon quite a few times.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 09:09
  2. Air Crash
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 22:18
  3. Another DR.I crash :(
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 17:49
  4. Fantasy Flights: Episode 6 - Survival - Part 2