Ares Games

Thread: Central Powers Mission 8/2: Stopping the big push.

Default Central Powers Mission 8/2: Stopping the big push.

“If we don’t stop the British balloons and spotting aircraft we will lose the battle of the Somme”.

“I understand your argument Jacob, but I have to send Bergarbeiter up. He’s the only fresh pilot I have. The rest are flying none stop and need a rest, even if it’s just for a few hours. Now you and Maas have just returned from a weekend pass so you two will fly the 2 seater and Bergarbeiter will fly cover.”

“Jahwoll, Herr Oberleutnant. Of course but we are not baby sitters”. With that Lt Jacob Sturm left the CO’s office for his plane. It was still dark and the briefing was fresh in his mind. “What did he say Jacob?” “Come Jurgen, we have balloons to kill”. He shook his head and waved to 2Lt Rudolph Bergarbeiter sitting in the newly arrived Halberstadt. ‘He’d better know how to fly that thing’ he said to himself as he climbed into the familiar rear gun position. He had already checked through the special ammunition but he couldn’t be sure in the poor light if he had missed any bad rounds.

The Halberstadt roared into life and Sturm gunned the Rumpler. Both aircraft took off into the half light of dawn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January games 001 (640x384).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	155901

Both aircraft flew a course and pattern that they hoped would throw off any hint of their intended target. But the Tommies always knew and would be ready. Sturm had gone over the plan meticulously with Rudolph, ‘stay in front, drive away any enemy planes and let us do our job in shooting down the balloons’. Rudolph got the picture he was the shield and they were the lance. Well he would protect his charge and show them he could fly too.

2Lt Wheeler and his rear 2Lt Tonkin were in the process of taking pictures of the effect of the barrage the day before. Two observation balloons were already up registering new targets and stopping the Hun responding to the renewed offensive along the Somme front.

Name:	January games 002 (640x384).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	155902

The German pair peeled off left and Bergarbeiter kept in front. It wasn’t long before they spotted the BE2c spotter and it them. They closed rapidly and bullets filled the air, in fact that’s all they filled. Maas refused to fire as he thought it unsporting to fire incendiary ammunition at an aircraft, well he needed it to bring down the balloons not aircraft. Bergarbeiter closed with the BE but the rear gunner kept him at bay as the pilot kept the BE out of his guns sight!

Name:	January games 003 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	155903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January games 004 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	155904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January games 005 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	155905

Eventually turning the right way, Bergarbeiter closed but the rear gunner held his fire until he thought he wasn’t going to. Bullets zinged through his airframe and one nicked his left shoulder. He thought he had hit the BE but wasn’t sure.

Name:	January games 006 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	155906

Bergarbeiter closed in, the other German plane forgotten. Closing he let the BE fill his gun sight before firing a close ranged burst. He saw the rear gunner fly backwards, wounded, and smoke began to pour from the engine area.

Name:	January games 007 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	155907

Claud was hit in the head, blood cascaded down over his eyes. He wiped them clear, took aim and fired off a burst as the German pilot fired. He didn’t even feel the round that killed him. Bergarbeiter knew he had the BE. The rear gunner was slumped over his gun, head lolling this way and that. The he realised his engine was misfiring. Damn the Tommy had got off a burst and it had damaged his engine. Still ,he would go for the kill, he said to himself.

Name:	January games 008 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	155908

Keeping on the BE’s tail he closed again and fired, the British pilot jinked at the last moment and his bullets passed harmlessly by. ‘Next time Tommy, next Time’.

Name:	January games 010 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	155909

Strum and Maas had closed with the first balloon and Sturm fired a sustained burst into it. He was rewarded by seeing a small spark ignite but not quite catch, yet!

Name:	January games 011 (640x384).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	155910

Wheeler outfoxed the Halberstadt pilot again he out turned him and headed for home and safety. He knew something was seriously wrong with Tonkin because he could see him slumped over his gun every time he turned to see where the Hun was.

Name:	January games 012 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	155911

Sturm and Maas fired short range bursts into the balloon. A second fire was started but the flames refused to billow outwards. The observer climbed onto the side to jump but before he could jump he was hit again and killed.

Name:	January games 013 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	155912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January games 014 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	155913

As they flew past the Rumpler came under ground fire. A bullet smashjed through the floor and into Sturms leg. He dipped the nose and returned fire. A small ammunition box caught fire.

Name:	January games 016 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	155914

Again the Rumpler came under ground fire, this time starting a small engine fire! Sturm again returned fire as Maas fired into the stricken balloon now fully alight and finished.

Name:	January games 018 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	155915

Maas recognising the danger from the AA MG let rip and blasted it to pieces as the return fire missed everything vital.

Name:	January games 019 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	155916

Both German planes attacked the 2nd balloon.

Name:	January games 020 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	155917

Balloon 1 succumbed to the fire and blew apart.

Name:	January games 022 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	155918

Sturm saw the BE nipping under balloon 2 and turned and fired. And fired again. Wheeler could do nothing with the stricken BE as it hurtled towards the ground in a low flat spin.

Name:	January games 024 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	155919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January games 026 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	155920

The wounded observer in balloon 2 had already jumped as the ground crew started to wind down the balloon. Maas fired a burst sideways and was rewarded with his gun jamming.

Name:	January games 027 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	155921

Frantically he worked at clearing the jam as Bergarbeiter flew under the balloon and gave them a wave.

Name:	January games 028 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	155922

Circling round with no enemy near Maas worked to clear his gun as Bergarbeiter looped over and both aircraft fired at the balloon. Bergarbeiter was faster on the draw and Sturm’s bullets passed through the exploding balloon showering Bergarbeiter’s aircraft in burning debris. Luckily it all missed.

Name:	January games 030 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	155923

Butchers Bill:
    Balloon 1:

Name:	January games 033 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	155924
    17 damage Observer killed balloon exploded.

Balloon 2:

Name:	January games 031 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	155925
    11 damage observer wounded then exploded.

AA MG 6 damage destroyed

Name:	January games 038 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	155928

Allied points:

Name:	January games 037 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	155929
    BE2c = 6 points
    Balloon 2 = 6 points
    Balloon 1 = 5 points
    Total 17 points

BE2c:

Name:	January games 034 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	155926
    SD/FT/13 damage/Obs 2 WIA

Name:	January games 036 (640x384).jpg 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	155927
    Rumpler CI: 8 damage
    Jacob Sturm RTB/1 WIA/1 kill BE2c +15
    Jurgen Maas RTB/1 kill Balloon +25

Halberstadt: 4 damage plus engine damage
    Rudolph Bergarbeiter RTB/1 WIA/1 kill Balloon +25

Central Powers 65 points
    Entente 17 points
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 01-27-2015 at 13:37.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Well that was certainly a hot time at the front Neil!
    Masterful AAR as usual & well flown your chaps.
    Lots of wounds caused in that set too & I think us Brits need to change the gas in those Balloons!
    Far to explosive for my liking.

Yes Barry it was quite hot work at the front today.

Well done Neil - a clean sweep and victories for all concerned ! The new boy certainly proved himself in that ferocious action with the gunner.

Ltn Jacob Sturm: RTB/1 WIA/1 kill: Rolled 7 -1WIA +3 RTB = 9 All's well when you land well !
    Fwbl Jurgen Maas: RTB/1 kill Balloon
    (I noted you somehow managed to switch pilot & gunner around - Maas is the pilot !)
    Ltn Rudolph Bergarbeiter: RTB/1 WIA/1 kill: Rolled 10 -1WIA +3 RTB = 12 All's well when you land well !

2Lt Stephen Wheeler: SD FT/ 0 Kills: Rolled 6 -1SD = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios; Rolled 1 Skip 1
    2Lt ClaudTonkin: SD FT / 2 WIA / 0 Kills: Rolled 7 -2WIA -1SD = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 2 = Skip 2

"He is wise who watches"

Great AAR Neil - and a stunning victory for the Eagles! Looks like Bergarbeiter is a pilot to watch in the future

Great AAR! The special damage was flying fast and thick, Neil, keeping the result in doubt to the very end... but your pilots refused to be deterred! Well done!

Ah, thought something was amiss. I'll sort it for the next sortie. First 4 lot of damage cards were all zero' s!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well done Neil - a clean sweep and victories for all concerned ! The new boy certainly proved himself in that ferocious action with the gunner.

Ltn Jacob Sturm: RTB/1 WIA/1 kill: Rolled 7 -1WIA +3 RTB = 9 All's well when you land well !
    Fwbl Jurgen Maas: RTB/1 kill Balloon
    (I noted you somehow managed to switch pilot & gunner around - Maas is the pilot !)
    Ltn Rudolph Bergarbeiter: RTB/1 WIA/1 kill: Rolled 10 -1WIA +3 RTB = 12 All's well when you land well !

2Lt Stephen Wheeler: SD FT/ 0 Kills: Rolled 6 -1SD = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios; Rolled 1 Skip 1
    2Lt ClaudTonkin: SD FT / 2 WIA / 0 Kills: Rolled 7 -2WIA -1SD = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 2 = Skip 2

I'm worried about that one. Too smart by far, too cool in his actions but tenacious. Even Biettrutoffen will be keeping a close eye on him from all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Great AAR Neil - and a stunning victory for the Eagles! Looks like Bergarbeiter is a pilot to watch in the future

Well well, it appears that the Eagles are not the spent force that we thought they were.
    A great slice of action Neil.
    I don't remember ever seeing so many wounded chaps. I do remember, only too well, seeing that many on fire cards!
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Like Rob said The casualty level was exceptionally high for an outing like that. Nice move taking out the AAMG and slowing down the RFC plane with that pilot wound causing it to bug out. You Eagles are starting to catch the good guys up

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

A great victory for the Eagles Neil. That should keep those Tommies on their heels for a while.

Nah. We have you on the run.

Score board is looking like Sunderland (entente) playing their worst season.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Nah. We have you on the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    A great victory for the Eagles Neil. That should keep those Tommies on their heels for a while.
    In your dreams Pete.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    In your dreams Pete.
    Kyte.
    We Germans have to believe we are winning, no matter what the facts tell us.

You wish Neil see you next season if you have a Manager

Do we need one, we are doing very well loosing our games as it is....

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post

You wish Neil see you next season if you have a Manager

Very nice AAR. Lots of excitement, damage, and a good story too!

Nicely played sir!

Fantastic AAR Neil. Bergarbeiter I love it, mit fries? You are my hero, you destroyed those nasty ground guns, I hate them.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 16 - David vs. Goliath (Central Powers)
    By fast.git in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 14:04
  2. AAR Mission 9. Nightbomber, Central Powers.
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 00:26
  3. AAR Mission 7: Catch Me If You Can! (Central Powers - Blackronin)
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 08:39
  4. AAR Mission 7th. Catch me if you can! (Nightbomber, Central Powers)
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 12:26
  5. AAR Mission 5: The Balloon Challenge (Central Powers)
    By Watchdog in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 15:48