Ares Games

Thread: Snowpocolypes 2015

Default Snowpocolypes 2015

To all my fellow pilots in the path of the blizzard,

Keep safe...

Keep warm...

Take care.

Hopefully I can get out of the Newark airport in time to get home.

Good luck Elijah.

I'm definitely leaving work early for the 2 hour drive home. (probably be a bit longer today!)

Thanks, Randy... and good luck to all (Elijah & Peter)! Getting ready to "hunker down" here in CT. It's certainly ominous when the news is reporting the storm to be "crippling, and potentially historic" (as in, worst since 19th century). Here's hoping it's just an example of our leaning towards hyperbole!

Wishing all you chaps the best of luck for the oncoming snow storm.
    Be careful, stay indoors if you can and use this as an excuse to get your aircraft out.
    rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Was sort of a bust here in central NJ with only 6-8". Less shoveling time equates to a sortie or two with my 10 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Was sort of a bust here in central NJ with only 6-8". Less shoveling time equates to a sortie or two with my 10 yr old.
    Nice! Unless you're involved in a winter sports industry, less snow is rarely a bad thing! We've still got it coming down, the wind is up, and we've probably had in the 12-18" (30-46 cm) already, and it should snow throughout the morning and into the afternoon. We'll see... it's doubtful we'll end up with the 24-36" (60-92 cm) that was forecast.

Plan is to grade some papers, shovel, play in the snow with the kids and -- maybe -- get some airplanes on the table!

Here in Marblehead just east of Boston its still blowing hard. Visibiliy is poor, drifts are high so I can't say whet we have for actual accumulation. Should keep snowing here till late into the night or Wednesday morning.

Time to playtest my solo scenario again!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Here in Marblehead just east of Boston its still blowing hard. Visibiliy is poor, drifts are high so I can't say whet we have for actual accumulation. Should keep snowing here till late into the night or Wednesday morning.

Outside, the day is definitely "dud" -- no flying. Inside, however, there are no such restrictions! Have at 'em, Peter!

South Jersey got a "dud" . Worst blizzard ever. I mean that as in we got 2 inches total over 2 days. And all schools were cancelled and the state had a travel ban, blah blah blah.

Glad to hear most places are not as bad as feared chaps.
    The U.K. News is still forecasting catastrophe as usual, then apparently it is crossing the pond to us here.
    Armageddon!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It is good to hear that the snow has not been as bad as was predicted. However, still keep warm and stay safe.

Not a dud here near Boston. 21"+ and we will still get more for another 6-10 hours. Looking out the window I see across the street a stop sign that is only ~15" above the drift. No plows in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Outside, the day is definitely "dud" -- no flying. Inside, however, there are no such restrictions! Have at 'em, Peter!
    Apologies for the arcane reference... this storm certainly wasn't a "dud" in American parlance. According to the memoir of a WWI Camel pilot I finished recently, "dud" weather is any weather that is bad enough to preclude most flying...

So, in that sense, this storm certainly created a "dud" of a day on some Fronts (CT, eastern MA, etc.)! It also was a "dud" of a storm in some locales... it all depends on your version of the Queen's English!

This guy always said it best...

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Oh, yes!
    That takes me back!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Give my regards to Jacob Marley's.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Stay warm on the East Coast, fellows! Here in Ohio it's cold but we only had 3 to 4 inches of snow Sunday night/Monday morning. Most schools in the area were closed Monday, but that's a bit north of me where they had a bit more snow...we were only on a 2-hour delay

Ah, well, the winter is yet young and I'm sure we'll see our share of it yet.
    All the best,
    Matt

Still coming down but lightly. ~1 inch in the last hour. Spent a good hour + clearing off the deck and stairs.

Here is my car, can't wait to dig it out tomorow morning.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  117.3 KB

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: GottaCon 2015 - 27 Feb - 2 Mar 2015
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 13:03
  2. Triples 16 &17 May 2015
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 06-03-2015, 13:24