Ares Games

Thread: Tough Day Over St. Mihiel

Default Tough Day Over St. Mihiel

September 15, 1918
    To: Cmmdrs, 95th Aero Sqd, 1st Pursuit Grp US. and 52nd Sqd "Bulldogs" RAF

Sirs,
    At 0500 this morning Capt. Gillette and myself were summoned to HQ. As we entered the office none other than Col. "Billy" Mitchell was there to give us our briefing. Our mission for this morning was to provide air cover for 3 companies of infantry and one tank company from the 4th Div. US as they attack a group of trenches around an artillery position on one of the foothills in front of Mont Faucon. Col. Mitchell stated that 4th Div. has attacked this position for four straight days without success and that we need to take out that position today. Capt. Gillette and I checked out our SPADs and we were in the air shortly. By 0630 we approached the front and identified the infantry and tank companies. Seconds later we both observed a puff of smoke to the southeast. As we approached I could see it was a British two-seater being chased by two Fokker DVII's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	155823

The two-seater was smoking and had a bomb dangling on a bracket on its lower wing. We immediately moved to engage the Huns. On our first pass we both fired but did not appear to do much damage. Capt. Gillette performed an Immelman turn, thus exposing one of the DVII's to fire from him and from the rear gun of the Brit. After a few shots from both planes, the Hun exploded.

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	155824

The British pilot then turned around and began to approach the German trenches. Capt. Gillette pursued the other DVII while I broke off to investigate another aircraft coming from the southeast. The other airplane turned out to be a German Halberstadt two seater. I attacked the plane but did no apparent damage but I caught fire from his rear gun.

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	155825

As I maneuvered to put out the fire, I could see the British pilot approach the artillery position. Fortunately his last bomb dropped at the right time and did a direct hit on the artillery. Good thing, that artillery has already taken out the tanks

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	155826

I was able to put out the fire but my SPAD was heavily damaged. I was able to see that the gunner on the Brit was having problems and both Hun planes were bearing down on him. Gillette and I moved toward the DVII, exchanging fire when Gillettes SPAD exploded.

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	155827

I then engaged the Halb, but with all the damage that my SPAD had taken a few shots were enough to knock out my engine. I was able to crash land behind our lines. As I climbed out of my plane, I saw the Brit plane come down. I went over to assist and could see that the pilot was fine but the gunner was wounded. As we moved the gunner out of the plane a squad of our infantry approached and helped out. Within minutes we were able to get the gunner into an ambulance while the British pilot and I were able to get a ride in a truck back to base. During the ride back I found out that the Brit was Col. Kyte from the renowned 52nd Sqd. The Col. and I had quite a chat on the ride back and I commended him on his extremely bold maneuver to turn a heavily damaged plane back into the fray. Personally, I hope the two Brits get medals for their actions today.

Respectfully Submitted,
    2nd Lt. Joseph Linden, 95th Aero. 1st Pursuit Grp.

buthchers bill

US
    Two Spad XIII's, Capt. Charles Gillette, KIA
    1 Infantry Co.
    2 Renualt light tanks

Britain
    1 Bristol fighter, gunner wounded, pilot OK

Germany
    1 Fokker DVII, pilot unknown, assumed KIA
    One

Thumbs up

Most enjoyable AAR.
    Those "Boom" cards certainly pop up very regularly.

Nice one Mike

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice CAR Mike. Now I know why the CO has been missing from the mess.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Brilliant little action Mike.
    Some very good shots backed up by a superb commentary.
    Nice rounded off ending, and thanks for the promotion by the way. I think I was only a Major at that time.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Next time, Michael, we'll get your little dog, Toto, too!

Similar Missions

1. Now THIS would be a tough scenario
    By pstapleton53 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2019, 12:03
  2. Scenario #9 St Mihiel Air Campaign
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 18:10
  3. well its been tough
    By sirosis o liver in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 24