Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ares Battle of Britain theme

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I want them to, Andrzej, but the newbies and prospective recruits really need the iconic BoB planes to get them hooked
    Karl
    Yes I totally agree. Only been playing since February so missed out on getting my hands on an early Hurricane or Spitfire Mk 1 model. Plus the Me Bf 109 unless I find one for a bearable price on 'the E-Bay'

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Yes I totally agree. Only been playing since February so missed out on getting my hands on an early Hurricane or Spitfire Mk 1 model. Plus the Me Bf 109 unless I find one for a bearable price on 'the E-Bay'
    Spits and 109 unbearable prices for a long time now, I would welcome any reprints or new planes

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Spits and 109 unbearable prices for a long time now, I would welcome any reprints or new planes
    I agree, though I'm more interested in the Pacific campaign currently. But new BoB planes means new PTO planes afterwards likely.

The Italians played a small part in the Battle of Britain with Fiat CR.32 & G.50 fighters, Fiat BR.20 bombers, Cant Z.1007 reconnaissance planes and Caproni Ca.133 transport planes. These would require a whole new set of models but they could also be used for Malta and North African scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Italians played a small part in the Battle of Britain with Fiat CR.32 & G.50 fighters, Fiat BR.20 bombers, Cant Z.1007 reconnaissance planes and Caproni Ca.133 transport planes. These would require a whole new set of models but they could also be used for Malta and North African scenarios.
    Guess what Dave?

For those interested there is some info about the B of B opperations in Osprey combat aircraft 106 " Savoia Marchetti S.79 Sparviero Torpedo-bomber units.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    For those interested there is some info about the B of B opperations in Osprey combat aircraft 106 " Savoia Marchetti S.79 Sparviero Torpedo-bomber units.
    http://www.amazon.com/Regia-Aeronaut.../dp/190653702X -- also this.

I do not expect new mins nor will I be dissapointed if we do not get new planes, but I do expect repaints of the earlier models especially the Hurricane. The repaints to be only British and German, none of your other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    A bit cheaper on Amazon U.K. Chris. New from Ł25.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I do not expect new mins nor will I be dissapointed if we do not get new planes, but I do expect repaints of the earlier models especially the Hurricane. The repaints to be only British and German, none of your other nations.
    A Sea Hurricane colour scheme would be nice, but I'm not likely to get one.
    Rob.

A bit cheaper on Amazon U.K. Chris. New from Ł25.
    Rob.
    Maybe -- but then, some folks can't fool Amazon into shipping across the Atlantic.

Maybe -- but then, some folks can't fool Amazon into shipping across the Atlantic.
    No! But you may be able to fool me into doing it. Amazon U.S. have actually shipped me stuff, so it may just be stuffy old English Amazon who are awkward.
    Rob.
    Rob.

If they produce a BoB boxed set, I would hope for an official campaign:
    Have a strategic battle map with England and the surrounding Axis air fields in Norway, Germany, Netherlands etc., where you can shove fighter and bomber tokens back and forth.
    Let both sides have a number of planes available for their missions and have a dynamic campaign, which awards points after each mission for purchasing new planes and pilots.
    Perhaps there could be cards you can draw for each mission with primary and secondary goals. The opponent player would be left in the blind of these goals.

Missions could include a fighter sweep over the channel, bombing runs on industry complexes etc.
    Additionally, there could be event cards, which spice the missions up a bit and are drawn before each mission (Surprise enemy patrol gives one player additional planes for a given scenario, engine malfunction does not allow for high speed manoeuvers, ground fog makes any bombing runs for the day an automatic fail etc).

Well, one can dream...

For a map of the South of England showing airfields and radar for a campaign game look out for an old TSR/SPI board game called Battle over Britain. Good game in its own right, you could even use this to play and then transfer raids onto the table.
    It was a big box game not a mag game and not the long thin TSR game.

Just checked it comes with two maps still on sale from Decision games @$30

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    For a map of the South of England showing airfields and radar for a campaign game look out for an old TSR/SPI board game called Battle over Britain. Good game in its own right, you could even use this to play and then transfer raids onto the table.
    It was a big box game not a mag game and not the long thin TSR game.

Just checked it comes with two maps still on sale from Decision games @$30
    Good call, Chris; I picked up an original at Origins a couple years ago for just that purpose.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks Chris!

I will have a look into that!

From Rob at http://www.beastsofwar.com/wings-of-...giants-sky-qa/ :

We also want to put a stronger emphasis on the theme, especially in the WWII line and we will start to release “Starter Sets” and Airplane Packs focused on specific settings, starting with a “Battle of Britain” Starter Set in late 2015, and “Battle of Midway” set in 2016!

A very interesting interview with Rob. DB.
    I was particularly interested on his philosophy vis Kick starters.
    The best news is the intention to do the themed BoB followed by the same treatment for Midway.
    I hope that will bring some joy to everybody. Well maybe not the Eastern Fronters. Sorry Andy.
    Rob.

Midway will require many new models to do it properly and slow aircraft rules.

Slow rules could be quite handy.
    Rob.

Smile

A very interesting interview with Rob. DB.
    I was particularly interested on his philosophy vis Kick starters.
    The best news is the intention to do the themed BoB followed by the same treatment for Midway.
    I hope that will bring some joy to everybody. Well maybe not the Eastern Fronters. Sorry Andy.
    Rob.
    The BoB packs might just get me into playing that Theatre.
    Now the Midway ones could be interesting except I now have lots of Wildcats, Dauntless, etc plus Zeros, Vals & Kates.

We have the tools for that now: the Kate can use Zoe's ZJ deck, and the Devastator and PBY can use her rules for slow planes:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-cards-needed)
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by GhenrikG View Post
    If they produce a BoB boxed set, I would hope for an official campaign:
    Have a strategic battle map with England and the surrounding Axis air fields in Norway, Germany, Netherlands etc., where you can shove fighter and bomber tokens back and forth.
    Let both sides have a number of planes available for their missions and have a dynamic campaign, which awards points after each mission for purchasing new planes and pilots.
    Perhaps there could be cards you can draw for each mission with primary and secondary goals. The opponent player would be left in the blind of these goals.

Missions could include a fighter sweep over the channel, bombing runs on industry complexes etc.
    Additionally, there could be event cards, which spice the missions up a bit and are drawn before each mission (Surprise enemy patrol gives one player additional planes for a given scenario, engine malfunction does not allow for high speed manoeuvers, ground fog makes any bombing runs for the day an automatic fail etc).

Well, one can dream...
    Henrik, do you know www.littlewars.se? There is an old BoB campaign, may be you wilk be interested. Not quite that thing, but you will see...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Henrik, do you know www.littlewars.se? There is an old BoB campaign, may be you wilk be interested. Not quite that thing, but you will see...
    Hi Daniel!

Thanks for the link. No, I did not know this site. Currently checking it out.

Thanks

Hi Daniel!

That is actually exactly, what I have been looking for!
    Thank you very much, this is perfect!

Now to my old problem: Where are the players in Tirol...

Theblast mission with He.111 is incomplete, if Iremember well, but I like this campaign

May be in ... Prag? Come to us to Prague Summer Con and meet other players from Central Europe (OK, OK, OK, I know that this is not a longtime solution, but a nice weekend with WoG should be fine ).

I talked to Roberto some more about those "Starter Sets". We are not talking about Duel Packs here, but something more akin to the old Deluxe Sets, but geared towards BoB (and later Midway) with missions/scenarios and the minis to support them. There is also talk about possible special rules for those missions being include. They are not currently looking at including a full campaign system in them, as they feel that would be better served by a separate and complete campaign expansion product (they will be testing these waters with WGF first though). WGS could be getting exciting over the next couple of years!

Well all the noises off stage sound very encouraging Keith.
    It is great to be getting included in some of the early planning.
    To those of you working behind the scenes to facilitate our relationship with Ares a big thank you from me.
    Rob.

Is there going to be a Kick-starter on this or any of the WWII series?

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Thomas
    I would think (and hope) not; This is exactly the thing we, and Ares, wants in the LGS.
    Karl

Thomas
    Not according to what Roberto Di Meglio has just said Tom.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I talked to Roberto some more about those "Starter Sets". We are not talking about Duel Packs here, but something more akin to the old Deluxe Sets, but geared towards BoB (and later Midway) with missions/scenarios and the minis to support them. There is also talk about possible special rules for those missions being include. They are not currently looking at including a full campaign system in them, as they feel that would be better served by a separate and complete campaign expansion product (they will be testing these waters with WGF first though). WGS could be getting exciting over the next couple of years!
    That's quite cool! I can picture it already for Midway, a Zero and Wildcat with a Val and Dauntless would be great I think. Or a Spit+Hurri and a BF 109+BF110 or something along those lines...

I just want more WWII. I guess I'm hungry for more war-birds.

Me too, Tom.

I need some Messerschmitt Bf.109s and a few more Wildcats.

I really hope that we'll get new pilots and paintings.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

From what Keith and a few others are saying, its starting to sound like WW2 is going to be taken really seriously by Ares... So far its felt just like a rebranding of the original game, with slow sales... But the little titbits of info you are dropping keith are making me quite excited! I had always assumed the ww2 market was bigger than for ww1, and had wondered why WGF was so much more popular... But .. with Ares taking it seriously and giving specific tweaks in their business model, will it out sell WGF one day? By the sound of the 'repaint's you've been hinting at Keith, I'm guess it might... as an eastern front fan though, I hope this same mentality is applied not just to BOB and pacific theatres but to all of them...

Here's the problem...

American aircraft: West Front, East Front, PTO, MTO
    British aircraft: West Front, East Front, PTO, MTO
    French aircraft: West Front, MTO
    German aircraft: West Front, East Front, MTO
    Italian aircraft: West Front (early and brief), MTO
    Japanese aircraft: PTO
    Russian aircraft: East Front ONLY

In a nutshell, virtually everyone else had their planes used in multiple locations, the Russians were only one front of one theater. The only others nearly so limited are Italy and Japan, and the PTO was geographically bigger than the ETO and MTO combined.

Yes, we need Ostfront and MTO stuff too, but the Main Events driving the bus are always going to be the Western Front and the Pacific. Fail to maintain that perspective, and Ares risks the survival of the whole product line. The "main lines" pay for the sideshows. No cash flow, no ability to produce.

Don't get me wrong, Mustangs and Messerschmitts belong among the staples of the game, but not as the only such--if people wanted to play only "Mustangs & Messerschmitts" they'd buy that game instead. Even as a sideshow, the Eastern Front, the Med, hell even the PTO get a hell of a lot more representation in this game than they do at many other publishers (like the aforementioned M&M, which is exclusively 8th AF Fighter Command and not even the rest of the Western Front if I understand it right.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thomas
    No. Ares is/will only use KS to bring things to market that their normal process will not support or if the production cost are very high on a product that they are not sure how it will be received by the players. The WGF Giants fell into this latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    From what Keith and a few others are saying, its starting to sound like WW2 is going to be taken really seriously by Ares... So far its felt just like a rebranding of the original game, with slow sales... But the little titbits of info you are dropping keith are making me quite excited! I had always assumed the ww2 market was bigger than for ww1, and had wondered why WGF was so much more popular... But .. with Ares taking it seriously and giving specific tweaks in their business model, will it out sell WGF one day? By the sound of the 'repaint's you've been hinting at Keith, I'm guess it might... as an eastern front fan though, I hope this same mentality is applied not just to BOB and pacific theatres but to all of them...
    Roberto has wanted to "push the reset button" on WGS for some time now. These new starters for BoB and Midway are the beginnings of that. They are going to focus on the two main Theaters of Operations for now. They realize that those two really need to be flushed out for us to play them properly.

My suggestion to Ares about things like the Med and Eastern theaters is to do them as Special Packs when the main line has minis that will work for the other theaters as just repaints. For example, they could release a Med/N. Africa Special Pack that included a 109 and Stuka painted up in desert colors. Same with some more Spits. All from the Starter molds, but without taking up one of the "Series" slots. They would not have to produce as many of the Special Packs, so their out lay would not be as great for them, making it easier for them to test the waters. I have also suggested that they could do the other theaters as Special Starters and initially fund them via KS while the main lines (and follow on Special Starters production) stay in the main retail channels.

One last thought on the BoB and Midway Starters.... I would not be opposed to having an Axis and an Allied version for each of those. Lots of possibilities there as well. The two Starters per theater could be played by them selves, or combined for a real themed set.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Mustangs and Messerschmitts belong among the staples of the game, but not as the only such--if people wanted to play only "Mustangs & Messerschmitts" they'd buy that game instead. Even as a sideshow, the Eastern Front, the Med, hell even the PTO get a hell of a lot more representation in this game than they do at many other publishers (like the aforementioned M&M, which is exclusively 8th AF Fighter Command and not even the rest of the Western Front if I understand it right.)
    Actually M&M covers the whole war.
    Karl

One last thought on the BoB and Midway Starters.... I would not be opposed to having an Axis and an Allied version for each of those. Lots of possibilities there as well. The two Starters per theater could be played by them selves, or combined for a real themed set.
    That's a solid idea, I like where that line of thought is going. It would especially help those who have gaps in their collections (such as a lot of Axis planes but not enough Allied) and only need to buy one side.

My bid for a BoB starter set would be Stamford Tuck in his Spitfire v Hans Joachim Marseille in his 109 so they can see if they can overturn the result of their original scrap over the channel.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

I also hope to see a release of some BoB aircraft. It is very frustrating not being able to get the basic aircraft for this campaign. It is good to hear that it features on Ares radar, even if it is not until later in 2015.

I had always assumed the ww2 market was bigger than for ww1, and had wondered why WGF was so much more popular... But .. with Ares taking it seriously and giving specific tweaks in their business model, will it out sell WGF one day? By the sound of the 'repaint's you've been hinting at Keith, I'm guess it might...
    Like others, I'm excited to hear that BoB is in Ares plans, and hope that WGS gets a little more love. Over the years that I have been posting the Current Contents files, I always found it interesting how much more popular the WGF file (2,089 downloads) was compared to the WGS one (692 downloads). While that's not a very scientific analysis, it would seem that the initial release of the WOW WW1 aircraft jumpstarted the entire franchise and appeared to be the primary market leader, but it would be good to see WGS catch up a bit in terms of popularity. The proposed PTO and BoB sets could have significant impact in restoring a bit of balance to the two eras.

So maybe I am not too late to get into BoB, which would be my main interest in WWII (although I have purchased some models from you for the bombing in Germany campaigns)

I am going to check out the local game store today to see what they have left in WWII models. WoG section is getting smaller all the time, and I was focused on WWI only before.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

These intended Battle of Britain reprints would IMHO serve greatly in the attraction of new players to Wings of Glory WW2 / WGS. Thinks me who just staged a public demonstration of the game three days ago during which I was asked if the Battle of Britain was playable on a number of occasions. Especially as the aircraft line-up my demonstration featured included a Supermarine Spitfire (Mk IX) which I thought would go down well and it did.

The demonstration purely featured Wings of Glory rather than anything Wings of War firstly because of the WOW soaring in value and also because I did not want to feature anything which would be of interest ... Only for people to be told that things were no longer available killing their interest in the game off that way! So this is the main reason I too hope to see these reprints released and the sooner the better now that my FLGS is a stockist.

Could also do with some Messerschmitt Bf.109s and Junkers Ju-87 Stukas in my Collection now that I have all of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk I / Mk II WOW Miniatures - not to mention a Hawker Hurricane Mk I in British markings to supplement those Spitfires ...

I am very pleased to have drawn a bead on exactly where your LGS is now Barney.
    That is well within striking distance for stocking up on models. Not much further from here than Caliver books.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by twr View Post
    I also hope to see a release of some BoB aircraft. It is very frustrating not being able to get the basic aircraft for this campaign. It is good to hear that it features on Ares radar, even if it is not until later in 2015.
    So here we are 12 months later and still no aircraft. Those Italians need to get their radar fixed while they still have a customer base

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    So here we are 12 months later and still no aircraft. Those Italians need to get their radar fixed while they still have a customer base
    WGS Battle of Britain Update

Fingers crossed for the October release date!

If you Facebook, there is a comment in here that says October: Facebook - Wings of Glory
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Dude, can they ever do anything right, or should they all just commit seppuku and turn the game over to you?

Sorry, but when you go All Negative All The Time you start to rub people the wrong way.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dude, can they ever do anything right, or should they all just commit seppuku and turn the game over to you?
    No -- I think he wants *YOU* to run it.... >;)

No -- I think he wants *YOU* to run it.... >
    So when I make some other decision he doesn't like instead of screaming for their heads on plates it'll be mine? No, I don't think so...

" Rule #12: The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative."
    --Saul Alinsky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain
    By fox in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 09:02
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 11:21
  3. 19 Sqn Battle of Britain
    By Boney10 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 02:27