Ares Games

Thread: Mission 8 Battle of the Somme 52 Sq RFC (Bulldogs)

Default Mission 8 Battle of the Somme 52 Sq RFC (Bulldogs)

or the fog of war.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyras.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	155569

Max Immelmann waved to his wingman Hugo Kurtz, and as pre-arranged, the two Eindeckers separated in the twilight which proceeded the dawn and sped towards the enemy lines, using as much cloud cover as they could. Max's ruse du guerre was to cross well away from the British Observation Balloons and then swing East again, to catch them from behind as they were being winched up for the day.

Name:	DSC_6241.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	155541

At just about the same time on the Allied side of No man's Land, a two seater One and a half Strutter from 52 Sq, crewed by Lt Edward "Teddy" Leaford, and his Observer Sgt. Noah Claypole took off.

Name:	08-058%20Sopwith%20One%20and%20Half%20Strutter.jpg 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	155538

It was trundling its way past the rising balloons, and trying to climb above the extensive cloud cover.

Name:	DSC_6238.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	155540

Six weeks into the battle, Leaford reflected, and after an advance to the area behind Montauban and Hamel in their sector, things had ground to a halt. So here he was on patrol once again protecting the Observation balloons so necessary to the information gathering process, prior to the next Big Push.

As the early morning clouds began to disperse Teddy turned onto his by now well known patrol path towards the Hardecourt sector, where the advance had been the slowest.

Name:	DSC_6242.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	155542

Turning at the end of his patrol boundary, he was unaware that on the opposite side of the clouds a lone Eindecker was approaching.

Name:	DSC_6237.jpg 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	155539

Name:	DSC_6243.jpg 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	155543

Name:	DSC_6244.jpg 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	155544

At the opposite end of his sector the second machine flown by Immelmann was also fast closing on the balloon lines.

Name:	DSC_6245.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	155545

The appearance from the clouds of an enemy aircraft on his eight o clock took Teddy totally by surprise. fortunately it also took the German aviator the same way.

Quickest to react was Claypole who sent a stream of bullets from his Lewis winging towards the Hun machine, but missing by a hairs breadth.

Name:	DSC_6246.jpg 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	155546

Now fully alerted, Kurtz, for it was none other than he, returned fire and was gratified to see a roil of smoke issue from the Strutter's engine cowling.

Name:	DSC_6248.jpg 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	155547

Uttering a curse, Leaford turned to face a new peril as, Immelmann appeared straight in front of him with gun blazing.
    However, in the exchange of fire that now took place it was not Max, but Kurtz who again scored a hit.

Name:	DSC_6249.jpg 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	155548

The smoke issuing from the Strutter now turning to flames as Leaford tried to extricate his machine from the devastating crossfire.

Suddenly as the early morning clouds broke up everything changed. The stutter of a machine gun from the ground defences broke into the drama being unfolded above, not only announced that they were now aware of the action, but also that they had a crack shot at the helm. Max's aircraft staggered under the hail of bullets and his engine started to run rough.

Name:	DSC_6250.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	155549

Totally undeterred, Max assailed his opponent with a withering fire, but put off his stroke by the misfiring engine just as he tried to close on the Sopwith, he misjudged his attack totally, and smashed right into the British plane.

Name:	DSC_6270.jpg 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	155550

Whichever blow was the telling one, the Strutter just could not deal with the stress, and with its wings folded, it simply dropped out of the sky like a blazing meteorite, ploughing into the ground some hundred yards in front of the balloon winch lorry.

Name:	DSC_6252.jpg 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	155551

With the balloon line now totally at their mercy, Max, his own aircraft now burning, and Hugo headed towards their new prey, just as two parachutes blossomed below the nearer of the pair of Caquots.
    Before Hugo could get within striking distance of the nearest Caquot it was his turn to feel the wrath of the AA gunners.
    Incoming fire ripped several holes in his wings and splintered one of his struts.

Name:	DSC_6257.jpg 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	155554

Max, however, was on the case and flying over his victims blazing aircraft he attacked the balloon.

Name:	DSC_6254.jpg 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	155552

Name:	DSC_6263.jpg 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	155559

Kurtz, despite further damage from the ground attacked the next balloon and immediately set it on fire.

Name:	DSC_6256.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	155553

Name:	DSC_6258.jpg 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	155555

Max was having little success with the other Caquot.
    As the first Balloon blazed merrily he was again hit from the ground and himself in turn set on fire for the second time.

Name:	DSC_6264.jpg 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	155560

As he finally lost control of the blazing aircraft, his final thoughts were that at least no other pilot had ever bettered him up here in the clouds. The true environment of the Eagle of Lille.

Name:	DSC_6265.jpg 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	155561

Kurtz saw his leader fall and with a heavy heart turned his machine away, still under fire from the AA.

Name:	DSC_6266.jpg 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	155562

Name:	DSC_6273.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	155564

As his battered Eindecker took cover in the last of the remaining clouds, the Balloon continued to burn on.

Name:	DSC_6267.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	155563

Name:	DSC_6260.jpg 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	155556

Name:	DSC_6261.jpg 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	155557

Name:	DSC_6262.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	155558

The Butchers' bill.

52 Squadron Bulldogs.

Name:	DSC_6274.jpg 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	155565

One Caquot Balloon severely damaged by fire.
    One and a half Strutter. Lt. Edward Leaford. EXP. FLM. FT.
    Sgt. Noah Claypole. EXP. FLM. FT.

Kaiser's Eagles of Lille.

Fokker Eindecker. Ltn. Max Immelmann. SD. FLM. ET.
    Ltn. Hugo Kurtz. RTB.

Name:	DSC_6275.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	155566

Name:	1.jpg 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	155568

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Once again a very nice AAR with masterful storytelling. Two explosion cards in one round? Ouch!

Rob, need a count of how many turns before the two observers jumped please.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quick and decisive Rob! Ground crew again are proving their worth. Gas bags survived, hope your aircrew did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Rob, need a count of how many turns before the two observers jumped please.
    The Observers jumped at the end of turn five Neil.
    The two in the other balloon were never under serious attack, or had better nerves so did not jump.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&pretzels View Post
    Once again a very nice AAR with masterful storytelling. Two explosion cards in one round? Ouch!
    Yes that hurt Mike.
    What a waste of an explosion card as well. One the enemy could not draw, and no chance of a big bang balloon.
    I think that is what mainly was responsible for saving them.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Well Rob that certainly went off with a "BANG"!
    How did the Strutter get 2 Explosions? (One from the collision & one from Kurtz?)

Anyway Max went down so that was something.
    Hope your two pilots make it as we are loosing too many promising crews.

That was brutal, like the way you managed to combine scenario 1 & 2 though Rob !

Lt. Edward Leaford: EXP FT / 0 Kills. Rolled 7 -3Exp = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios: Rolled 6 = Skip 6

Sgt. Noah Claypole: EXP FT / 0 kills. rolled 9 -3Exp = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That was brutal, like the way you managed to combine scenario 1 & 2 though Rob !

Lt. Edward Leaford: EXP FT / 0 Kills. Rolled 7 -3Exp = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios: Rolled 6 = Skip 6

Sgt. Noah Claypole: EXP FT / 0 kills. rolled 9 -3Exp = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2
    Great to see both your boys survived Rob although Lt. Leaford will no doubt be in Blighty as long as Mr Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great to see both your boys survived Rob although Lt. Leaford will no doubt be in Blighty as long as Mr Kyte.
    Yes indeed Baz.
    I hate to think what those two will get up to in the environs of old London town.
    Rob.

Thanks for doing the rolls Dave.
    It was too good a chance to miss having a crack at the Eagle of Lille.
    I thought of calling it in when the Strutter went down so early, and then felt that having dragged Max out of bed so early it was only fair to give him a chance at the balloons.
    As shown that was his big mistake, and should dispel the myth about shooting off his own prop off for good and all.
    It was obviously a machine gunner on the ground wot dun it. Or was it?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well Rob that certainly went off with a "BANG"!
    How did the Strutter get 2 Explosions? (One from the collision & one from Kurtz?)
    You are exactly correct Baz. How unlucky can you get from a smash. Leaford goes down, and Max catches fire.
    Rob.

Excellent AAR Rob. Did we win?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Excellent AAR Rob. Did we win?
    Not sure until Neil has done the sums.
    Rob.

Sometimes I take a look on the OTT campaign while fighting over the Channel and the Pacific.

This is another great AAR Rob, with a nice setting, wonderful planes and an excellent story.

I wonder how precice & deadly these two Eindeckers kept your men busy.

I'm glad the two Bulldog airmen survived the sortie.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Not sure until Neil has done the sums. Rob.
    You'll have to give a turn count to do that Rob; you're on -5pts having lost the Strutter and having shot Max down so it will boil down to how many turns the Strutter and balloons stayed up.

Victory Points:
    +1 Point every turn (3 cards) each balloon remains up
    +1 Point every turn (3 cards) 2 Seater remains in the combat area.
    +10 Points for every enemy plane shot down
    +5 points for every enemy aircraft that leaves the combat area.
    -25 Points each balloon shot down.
    -15 Point if 2-seater is shot down.
    -5 points if 2-seater leaves the combat area

"He is wise who watches"

You'll have to give a turn count to do that Rob; you're on -5pts having lost the Strutter and having shot Max down so it will boil down to how many turns the Strutter and balloons stayed up.

Victory Points:
    +1 Point every turn (3 cards) each balloon remains up
    +1 Point every turn (3 cards) 2 Seater remains in the combat area.
    +10 Points for every enemy plane shot down
    +5 points for every enemy aircraft that leaves the combat area.
    -25 Points each balloon shot down.
    -15 Point if 2-seater is shot down.
    -5 points if 2-seater leaves the combat area
    The balloons stayed up for all eight turns, but the observers of one jumped at the end of turn five so that would give 13 points.
    This would mean the two seater only stayed up for four turns. 4 points.
    One enemy plane shot down. 10 points.
    One enemy plane left the combat area. 5 points.
    No balloon shot down, but one very sick. -25 points.
    Two seater shot down. -15 points.

So that would give the Bulldogs 32 points in total.
    The Eagles 40 points. So a win for the Eagles.

Rob.

BOOOOO

Rob if the balloon hadn't caught fire I would have given you the balloon and not given -25. However you did shoot Max down, although he was not a part of this scenario.

For this scenario played by you and only you I award the points for shooting down Max Immelmann to the Bulldogs.

So 57 for the Bulldogs
    40 for the Eagles. A win for the Bulldogs.

(Apologies but this is a one off Max being shot down in scenario 2)

Rob if the balloon hadn't caught fire I would have given you the balloon and not given -25. However you did shoot Max down, although he was not a part of this scenario.

For this scenario played by you and only you I award the points for shooting down Max Immelmann to the Bulldogs.

So 57 for the Bulldogs
    40 for the Eagles. A win for the Bulldogs.

(Apologies but this is a one off Max being shot down in scenario 2)
    Well that is certainly a very handsome gesture from one of the German Fliegers.
    However, I do not want to unbalance the game for our worthy opponents, so how about splitting the difference, and calling it a draw?
    Rob.

The spirit of the FA cup lingers on. A true Bradford Vs Chelsea result for the Bulldogs.

Rob, it could have gone the other way and been a total disaster for the Bulldogs. No, well played in the spirit of a good cricket game. The score stands.

Neil

Rob, it could have gone the other way and been a total disaster for the Bulldogs. No, well played in the spirit of a good cricket game. The score stands.

Neil
    I must defer to the Umpires decision then.
    I must admit, that when the two seater went down with two Huns still flying and the balloons seemingly at their mercy, I thought they had me banged up. That AA gunner deserves a MM. for his part in the action. should be another recruit for the RFC.
    Rob.

Great AAR Rob, and a thrilling encounter. The "double boom" was certainly in the tradition of this campaign - we've had several examples in earlier scenarios

Hope my AA fire is as accurate today.

I hope not.

Hope my AA fire is as accurate today.

Well I do.
    Kyte.

Come on Eagles, were down 3 games to 1, in favour of the Entente.

Come on Eagles, were down 3 games to 1, in favour of the Entente.
    You're an Eagle, so get with it man!

So far the AA is light , but its only Turn 5

They're giving you a false sense of security.

But I'm on their side

Tomorrow. Just played PTO 6 today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    You're an Eagle, so get with it man!

Tomorrow. Just played PTO 6 today.
    Great Neil.
    So I can look forward to two AARs from you then.
    Rob.

Yes but I don't know when. You know what I'm like with my paperwork and returns/request forms WingCo.

Great Neil.
    So I can look forward to two AARs from you then.
    Rob.

Yes but I don't know when. You know what I'm like with my paperwork and returns/request forms WingCo.
    Indeed I do Neil.
    He has me running around like a baf most of the time too.
    Rob.

Think we had better send some supplies to Peter and all those on the Eastern Seaboard if the weather continues as predicted

Think we had better send some supplies to Peter and all those on the Eastern Seaboard if the weather continues as predicted
    There you go Squadron Leader Skafloc, another little job to keep your chaps occupied.
    Being up North they should be able to handle snow. Get some air drops sorted if you please.
    Kyte.

Do not drop supplies by parachute. Repeat, do not drop supplies by parachute. With the strong winds they would end up in enemy hands. Please send supplies via dog sleds. STOP.

Roger WILCO, WingCo. A short bash over the Briney just hope we don't go Westminster!

There you go Squadron Leader Skafloc, another little job to keep your chaps occupied.
    Being up North they should be able to handle snow. Get some air drops sorted if you please.
    Kyte.

Roger WILCO, WingCo. A short bash over the Briney just hope we don't go Westminster!
    O'K' that man. Pulled a birtie and nearly D ickie birded myself pancaking a Wimpey.
    Kyte.

Wako WingCo, I've heard it's really hard to make a pancake out of those tough Wimpey Burgers!

O'K' that man. Pulled a birtie and nearly D ickie birded myself pancaking a Wimpey.
    Kyte.

That's why they are called Burgers. They are a real burger to pancake.
    Kyte.

Missed this first time around... Great AAR, Rob! Another fine example of your masterful storytelling.

Glad you enjoyed it Chris.
    Rob.

Another brilliant AAR, full of action and some wonderful story telling, not to mention two bang cards!

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 09-14-2015, 05:25
  2. AAR Mission 8--Battle of the Somme--52 Sqd.--Gain Aerial Superiority!
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:23
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:19
  4. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme - 19th August 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:13
  5. AAR Battle of britain Scenario 4 Malta alternative. 852 Sq.FAA. Bulldogs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 14:06