Ares Games

Thread: Return to the lost Zeppelin(s)

Default Return to the lost Zeppelin(s)

Long, long, time ago. I remember ordering this guy and being amazed at the detail and fragile beauty.

I had thought about covering it with tissue but could not get my elves to agree.

It looked so awesome in WSF white . . . so I ordered a second-one to cover and one to keep in frame only, then the test section offered for covering practice. Then they sat. . .

I had a quiet morning and did some cleaning of the shop and discovered the parts as well as two terrain bases I had my son paint up for me . . . I started with the original Zepp, fitted and glued the two parts together, added a wire post to the base and way to plug the other end into the Zepp.

Then to align and add the test section as a hull lengthener (I cannot remember the Type the Germans did this to, but who really cares!)

Glued the final section to the test section, note the LEGO fixture the elves came up with! No costs withheld

And here they are! A bit too fragile to carry around and game with, but excellent book shelf display bits!

Now to finish the HMS Glorious twins . . .

Dave,
    I was about to send out the SAR Techs.

Hope your Christmas was pleasant and restful.

The Zeppelins are really nice, but you are right, not suitable for a gaming table. Excellent as show pieces to demonstrate the construction, though.

I have been working on a scenario for the Glorious, but your model may not fair well on any table I put it on (AAR - Skype - HMS Glorious). Sorry.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Not quite an accurate Type Q if the start is a Type P, but a decent "representational" version. (Type Q had its 15m stretch from P as 10m right were the rear taper met the central constant-section "tube", then the other 5m as a plug close to but not quite at the rear end of the nose taper.)

If you're interested, a while back Andreas Horn sent me scans of some sketches and notes he'd made, around the time you and Thorsten were collaborating on his L13 and I was (well, still am) looking into making a Q out of it.

That's really ingenious using the "trial section" to extend the model. And that model is a lot stronger than you might expect -- all of the cross bracing and the center arch makes it very stiff for its weight. Sort of like the real thing!

Unfortunately, it was a victim of the October 2014 repricing from Shapeways, when its price when from "quite reasonable" to "quite unreasonable". :-/

PS: I like the terrain bases! Where are those from?

Bases from Trevor aka Roger Wilco - They are very nice and I wish he would start making them again (hint, hint . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    That's really ingenious using the "trial section" to extend the model. And that model is a lot stronger than you might expect -- all of the cross bracing and the center arch makes it very stiff for its weight. Sort of like the real thing!

Unfortunately, it was a victim of the October 2014 repricing from Shapeways, when its price when from "quite reasonable" to "quite unreasonable". :-/

PS: I like the terrain bases! Where are those from?

Similar Missions

1. WGF 2-D Zeppelin 'how-to' or 'How to cook a Zeppelin for minimal outlay'
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 23:56
  2. The Return of the Red Baron?
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 01:17
  3. Multiplayer: Return to the Ship
    By afilter in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 12