Ares Games

Thread: Fairey Battle fron Zvesda

Thumbs up Fairey Battle fron Zvesda

I just saw this listing . 144 scale Fairey Battle from Zvesda.

Rich

http://www.martola.com.pl/en309/prod..._fairey_battle

Very nice Rich.
    They do make some smashing models.
    Just a pity that they don't do them all in 1:200 as well.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lightbulb

Rob

Zvesda has an odd production philosophy! Single engine planes in 144 and two engine in 200 scale. That is the old fit the standard box approach! I would like to have their Bristol Blenheim in 144.

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The thing to remember with Zvezda is that they see their primary market for this range as gaming pieces for their hex based games. (Hence the 1/72 infantry and guns, 1/100 tanks, 1/144 single engine and 1/200 twin engine.) Effectively it *is* "fits the box" (tempered by at least using a consistent scale for each type of model) but the key design criterion is "fits the game"....

When I get around to my Bolt Action games or another WW2 skirmish, I'll probably get some of their 1/72nd infantry.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rich I think you can get away using the Battle as the Fulmar. I was reading that they much the same for a few minor details---wing length for one. There is the one dealer at the Muster that should have them.

Bob

You are right. An easy substitution!

Rich

Can't wait to see them. What paint/color do you use for the Russian plane you gave me?

Bob

My three arrived yesterday! Now that the power is back on i may start on them!

Rich

Sorry to hear about the power loss. few years back had an ice storm and no power for 5 days. Good thing I have a battery powered CD/Radio unit. Always good to listen to music.

Bob

Good news is they are glued up and ready for seam sanding. I have a little battery powered radio for such occurrences! We have Fios, power goes it goes. Luckily i had some charge on my cell phone. I went out early and checked out the roads and area. The outage was not general, tree limbs could not take the wet snow. We had two friends call report the problem, they were told it would be back on between 9am and 2 pm. Our last major winter outage was 5 days in 1995, a storm very much like this one.

Rich

Might have been the same storm. I have a charger for the truck so at least I can start the truck and charge the phone. I have to get you the die you want.

I checked at Cold Wars and he did not have any of these. I did pick up 2 LAGG 3's, another PO 2 and a Ju 88. Have get them together.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very nice Rich.
    They do make some smashing models.
    Just a pity that they don't do them all in 1:200 as well.
    Rob.
    Well the 1/200 ones they actually do tend to plug some gaps that Ares is unlikely to cover for ages.
    The 1/100 tanks should please Flames of War players as well.

All done! Just waiting for some good light for a photo session.

Rich

Smile

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3100010.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	159640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3100016.jpg 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	159641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3100012.jpg 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	159642My Battles are ready for battle!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3100015.jpg  

Very nice job on those Rich. Guess we might see them flying in Aug.

I just received my order of 2 today. Have to get the Russian planes done first than those. Also should be getting 3 Bristol's Monday.

Bob

They are easy to build, and look nice when finished!

Rich

I love the Zvesda models Rich. As you say they are a doddle to build and the detail is so good. A couple of Battles would be great.
    I'm just sorry they don't do more aircraft also in 200 scale.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Smile

Rob

They are a nice line. I have had to change my decal application system for them though. I always paint then apply a gloss coat, then apply the decals.This hides silvering around decal edges. Finish with a gloss of flat finish coat. I have found Zvesda decals sometime curdle on a gloss surface. This is not an immediate reaction. My first builds were Hurricanes one has Sweet decals and was fine. One was a mix of Sweet and other after market decals, it was fine. One was straight out of the box and the curdled! Now i dull coat and apply decals to any Zvesda kit. In my last 12 Zvesda kits not one bad decal!
    It is true Zvesda producing kits in two scales means we get some nice fighters in 144 scale! But you get come very nice bombers in 200 scale!

Rich

Blenheim's came in today so that is another project to work on.

Rich,

Here is the site for the place I got the Blenheim's from. nws-online. I bought them on ebay but when I went to the site they have them for a very cheap price 2.99. This is cheaper that I get them at the shows.

Bob

Very good! I think i might order some of Peter 144 Blenheim's.

Rich

The Blenheims are 1:200. I've just finished a flight of 3 and they are quite a nice little kit and unlike Zvesda's JU88 the decals supplied are 1:200 as well. The JU88 decals are 1:144 and some are just too big to use on the model.

Thumbs up

Reg

Very good now for some photos! It is nice to use the correct decals! I built a 1:144 scale B-29 four years ago. The kit was $2.00, it had no decals. I found some 1:72 scale fighter decals and used them for the US national markings!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    When I get around to my Bolt Action games or another WW2 skirmish, I'll probably get some of their 1/72nd infantry.
    Karl
    We use 20mm for Bolt Action. The Zvezda 1/72 stuff mixes nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    The Blenheims are 1:200. I've just finished a flight of 3 and they are quite a nice little kit and unlike Zvesda's JU88 the decals supplied are 1:200 as well. The JU88 decals are 1:144 and some are just too big to use on the model.
    Thanks for the caution on Zvezda's Ju-88 decals Reg. Did you order a set from somewhere else?

Working on the Ju-88 and Ju-52 currently. Never realized how huge the Ju-52 was.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Rob

They are a nice line. I have had to change my decal application system for them though. I always paint then apply a gloss coat, then apply the decals.This hides silvering around decal edges. Finish with a gloss of flat finish coat. I have found Zvesda decals sometime curdle on a gloss surface. This is not an immediate reaction. My first builds were Hurricanes one has Sweet decals and was fine. One was a mix of Sweet and other after market decals, it was fine. One was straight out of the box and the curdled! Now i dull coat and apply decals to any Zvesda kit. In my last 12 Zvesda kits not one bad decal!
    It is true Zvesda producing kits in two scales means we get some nice fighters in 144 scale! But you get come very nice bombers in 200 scale!

Rich
    Thanks for the warnings on the decals Richard. Nice looking Battles.

Just checked my Ju-88 decals and see what you mean. They are a bit oversized but give you additional decals for other use.

Allen I have 3 Ju 52 I have built this month. Nice model, easy to build. Have to post pictures of them.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Fairey Battle Painting Thread
    By miscmini in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2018, 11:44
  2. Zvesda Bristol Blenheim mk-iv 1-200
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 11:48
  3. Fairey Battle and Russian SB2 Zvezda
    By Dowters in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 1