Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Skype - HMS Glorious

Default AAR - Skype - HMS Glorious

All,
    Trying out the HMS Glorious scenario, again, using fighter aircraft. Bf-109s with 250kg bombs, versus Hurricanes and AAA.

This was to be a game with Paul [tikkifriend], Neil [Skafloc], and spectators, but the spectators weren't available today, didn't log on, or didn't prearrange their contact info with me, so I wasn't able to invite them into the video call.

Same scenario as last time, constrained by my smaller table (39x60), as opposed to the 60X60 Con double table set-up I will be using at GottaCon. This is what it looked like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Game15_Set-up-Comp.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	154686
    German planes from the top left, with two planes at a time, respawning as planes were eliminated or sent home.

One Hurricane on CAP, with 15 fuel points, and two Hurricanes on deck ready for scramble (Five maneuvers to launch).

Lots of AAA on the carrier. And this is my new sea gaming mat ($6.00 Cdn from the local fabric store).

Name:	Game15_03_FirstBlood-Comp.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	154687
    Paul and I started the scenario, waiting for others to log on. Paul flew the 109s and I defended

The CAP Hurricane closes in on the lead 109, and the AAA markers placed last turn (the dice) hit the lead but miss the winger.

Paul drew the short range damage from the Hurricane, and the two C chits from the AAA, and then we connected with Neil. International time zones are a B!tch.

When Neil showed up, I gave him the Hurricanes, and was going to handle the AAA. We lost Paul, got him back, lost Neil, got Neil back, lost Paul and didn't get him back. So, now we were at the point where Neil was the British, and I was flying the 109s. After all that, I started drawing all the damage for everyone. The Hurricane was a mess, but flying, Paul said the 109 was OK.

Name:	Game15_04a_FirstShootDown-Comp.jpg 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	154688
    Paul had split up the attackers, and I continued that plan. As I approached the carrier, the two ready Hurricanes launched, just as the CAP Hurricane was approaching the deck. I got a awesome shot on the CAP plane and it went down, but the lead Scramble Hurricane tagged the 109.

Name:	Game15_06_ButNotAllThis-Comp.jpg 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	154689
    Planes at the bow did avoidance maneuvers, but the AAA unloaded at the lone 109 at the stern. All eight 4.7" guns targeted a small spot, and I flew into all of it. I would have survived the hit, had this plane not already taken the previous short range Hurricane shot and the AAA.

Name:	Game15_07_NextHurrieOnDeck-Comp.jpg 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	154690
    We rolled to see where the next Hurricane would spawn, and it came up on the aft elevator.

Name:	Game15_08_FirstBombing-GermanShootDown-Comp.jpg 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	154691
    The surviving 109 has released it's bomb, the New Hurricane is on his take-off run. The Scramble Hurricanes take shots at the surviving 109, and the rear Octuple 2pdr fires as well. The Hurricanes do the damage, but not soon enough. We rolled for simulated altitude, and the 109 was well above the deck, Momentum carried the flaming wreck over the flight deck and tower, into the sea on the starboard side. The bomb landed right between the catapults!

Off in the distance, you can see the next 109 coming in.

Name:	Game15_09a_2ndBombing-GermanShotUp-Comp.jpg 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	154692
    Much later, there are three Hurricanes in this picture, with the third 109 on it's bombing run. It is well shot up, but still flying. Neil didn't unload too much AAA at it, as I came in through his cloud of Hurricanes. I didn't plan this, and I was thinking of bombing in the middle of the deck, if possible, but with all the fire coming in, I dropped the bomb as soon as I could. It ended up nearly in the same hole as the first bomb. Really, I didn't plan this.

My fourth 109 is already closing in, but taking hits from the Hurricanes. You can see the splashed 109 in the water near the control tower of the carrier.

Name:	Game15_10a_2ndGermanShootDown-Comp.jpg 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	154693
    And having avoided the first disaster of an enemy plane crashing onto the deck, AAA and Hurricane fire take out my fourth plane as he is getting ready to release his bomb. We rolled for altitude, and he was on the deck. So he crashes into the side of the flight deck, doing two critical hits, plus his bomb and his plane damage. The port side AAA gun is destroyed, and starts a fire in the ready-use ammo magazine. The second critical penetrates the torpedo magazine, and besides the explosion, starts another fire. The three bombs, the plane damage and the torpedo explosion are over the total damage of the Glorious, not including any straffing damage and collateral damage from the two bombs penetrating the hangar deck. It cost three 109s, but the HMS Glorious is a burning wreck, and headed for Davey Jones, not England.

Great game, despite the connection issues, and playing with Neil, well, lots of expertise to be gleaned. Thanks for your perseverance, Neil.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Damn it looked a great game My first 109 that got hit took 13pts AA and 1pt Hurricane damage, What did your Hurricane take apart from smoke Mike?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Paul,
    Very interesting. I was two points off your original damage. Slightly different distribution of damage, and I had the engine hit, but close. The Hurricane took an engine hit, a rudder jam and a smoke, and nine damage. Three chits, three special damage. Messed him up good.

Sorry you didn't get to finish the game. Your scenario, next time?
    Mike

Great battle, Mike! I'm glad you managed to soldier on, despite the connection issues (sorry to hear about your difficulties, Paul). This is something I would like to tune into at some point in the future.

I'll pm you, Mike, with specific questions.

Thanks again!

Superb game, well run Mike. Sorry you missed the action Paul. We had loads od issues with connections but persevered and got through to the end in the end.

That last low level ME109 just slammed into the open side and blew the innards out of the poor Glorious.

Great game must make sure I'm available for the next.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Don't forget 18.00 your time is 19.00 mine and 0900 Mikes

I know you'll keep me right. Cheers.

Great looking set up Mike and an interesting target. Full size must be easier to hit with bombs than a small factory or bridge card.
    how do you translate this when playing.
    I would like to try some full size stuff but the mechanics of adjusting it escapes me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great looking set up Mike and an interesting target. Full size must be easier to hit with bombs than a small factory or bridge card.
    how do you translate this when playing.
    I would like to try some full size stuff but the mechanics of adjusting it escapes me.
    Rob.
    Rob,
    I'm not clear on the problem. I suppose that is because I consider the whole game as 1/200 scale, because that is the plane scale. I don't worry about the math, I'm going for visual presentation.

If I started thinking that everything is 1/900 scale (or is it 1/2273.64 scale in WGS?), I'd have to do math, or use 1/2500-ish scale ships, and loose the visual part, plus trying to explain to Con goers why the planes are bigger than their aircraft carrier.

Also, there is the forced perspective, if you want to consider altitude at 1000' per peg. Do you change the size of the ship models if you are flying lower?

If that is what you are trying to spin out in your head, you are, no doubt, getting a headache. Just use 1/200 scale, and everything is the "same". It's easy, and fun.

Now, I just have to get the Glorious model from Clipper, and put in the special effects (blow-out deck panels, smoke generators, working elevators and catapults, lights, sounds, ...). Did I mention I was going for visual appeal?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Now, I just have to get the Glorious model from Clipper, and put in the special effects (blow-out deck panels, smoke generators, working elevators and catapults, lights, sounds, ...).
    Wait a minute... Clipper's model doesn't do that already?! Blasphemy! I was under the impression that his Zeps were capable of limited flight... like from northern Germany to London and back...

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Wait a minute... Clipper's model doesn't do that already?! Blasphemy! I was under the impression that his Zeps were capable of limited flight... like from northern Germany to London and back...
    Well, there are Zeppelins in Japan and Southwestern Canada, so perhaps even around-the-world flight capable? I think I was working out a deal with Clipper to cut down on shipping costs (weight and hazardous material). It was supposed to be a collaboration. However, it looks like Clipper does all the building, and I get to play with the result. Not an even distribution of work on the project.

I have to do something on my end.
    Mike

The mechanics are the same whatever the ship scale and the main mechanic is fun. If it's fun why change the wheel. Had a blast Rob, no change from trying to hit the Yorktown, Shokaku or any of the ships at Taranto. Now Taranto in 1/200 would be great to play.

I was not suggesting altering anything chaps.
    I was just wondering if something was easier to hit if it was scale 1:200 rather than the size of a Wings of Glory target card?
    Rob.

I'm tweaking the WW2 ship rules so bombing etc will be easier on smaller scale targets Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I'm tweaking the WW2 ship rules so bombing etc will be easier on smaller scale targets Rob.
    That is very good of you Neil, but I think you have it just about right for small ships.
    For example Taranto came out just about the same as in real life. If we had sent in the second wave, it would have been spot on.
    Rob.

Tweaking as in 'not too many zero's' Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That is very good of you Neil, but I think you have it just about right for small ships.
    For example Taranto came out just about the same as in real life. If we had sent in the second wave, it would have been spot on.
    Rob.

There aren't any Zeros in Taranto Neil, only Swordfish, and you should know that. As director of the game you got all the Oscars!
    Rob.

There weren't any Oscars either........
    or Tonys
    or Franks
    or Rufes

Similar Missions

1. WGSF H.M.S. Glorious in 1/200" scale
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 11-03-2021, 03:08
  2. The Glorious Dead
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 23:40
  3. Hangout over Skype
    By Fraxture in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 06:46
  4. 2 Years in to WoW via Skype
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 09:50
  5. Another of the glorious generation passes.
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 05:35