Ares Games

Thread: FAST PLAY RULES - North Africa (Bombs, Torpedoes and AA)

Lord of Girth's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Default FAST PLAY RULES - North Africa (Bombs, Torpedoes and AA)

I wanted to share the FAST PLAY rule book I put together for our recent campaign in North Africa. The Fast Play rules incorporate the majority of advanced rules with these exceptions.

Plan one card/ play one card. A lot of discussion on this one and how it affects play. Playing only one card out, makes it easier to tail and engage, in theory speeding the damage and destruction. It makes it tough to shake a tailing plane. Overall makes the game easier for beginners, as well.

Climb and dive at will. Again, a lot of conversation on this.... I noticed in previous battles, that altitude was very hard to collect or recover, making a key element of dog-fighting, almost missing from the game. By eliminating the requirement to play a straight between each climb or dive, altitude had a stronger role in planning and fighting.

Bombing was simplified, eliminating the need to "fly bombs". Making bombing runs more affective and easier for beginners. This also tended to speed the battle along.

And, we consider climb counters in both range and collisions. Making collisions less frequent and range more specific to actual altitude.

We also added a loop maneuver that was not previously defined.

The FAST PLAY rules are also intended to be a quick reference for airplane climb rates and payload capacity.

I also included the Bomb/Torpedo chips as well as AA used in the North Africa campaign. Both these elements added substantial "play" and realism to the battle.

We play for points, as we found that battles usually ended in the wee hours of the morning with no clear victor. When points are tallied, a winner can be determined.

I'd love to hear feed-back as this is a hot topic.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Files

I was interested to see that your descriptive intro was full of ideas that I have toyed with Joe.
    I have downloaded the files, and will give you my opinion on same when I have had time to digest them fully.
    Thanks for the posting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lord of Girth's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

I was digesting other posts on house rules and liked the idea of banked climbs and dives. I think that would really add to the play and realism of the game. I have been concerned about the lack of altitude variance in past battles.

Has anyone played with banked climbing and diving?
    Did it play well?
    Any issues with allowing climbing or diving with turns? Thinking about adding this element to the up-coming battle "Raid on Bremen" March 14, 2015

Lord of Girth,

I have to give you props for the effort on the rule book; super good idea.

You know me, I like the rules just as they were written by our WOG forefathers...

But...

Your innovations, game boards, and ability to draw a big crowd for Wings of Glory night is second to none!!!

Keep it coming Girth,
    Chris

Thanks for these, Joe. Some interesting, play-streamlining rules. Certainly something to consider!

Just having a look now, very interesting.

We've played 1 card movement for WW1 a number of times experimentally. It felt much more like a dogfight.

I shall have to give it a go Dave.
    Rob.

Perhaps at WMMS Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I shall have to give it a go Dave.
    Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Perhaps at WMMS Rob?
    Good idea Neil.
    Rob.

Downloading them today for consideration with a glass of red.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Very nicely presented Joe. Good graphics and the rules themselves are simple and practical. . Well done. Can I direct you to this file by Flash (Dave) for your consideration http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1360
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 02-15-2015 at 09:07.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. AIM Bristol Blenheim - BoB and North Africa reinforcements
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 03:02
  2. WGS North Africa - 1/200 AIM P-40B's, No.3 Squadron RAAF in the Western Desert
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 05:53
  3. AAR North Africa October 1942 near El Alamein
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 00:29
  4. Anti tank aircraft in North Africa
    By Doug in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 02:09
  5. WGS North Africa - 1/200 Air 200 Macchi MC.202 'Folgore' Fighting Pair