Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personalized damage deck caddy

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Personalized damage deck caddy

About a month and a half ago I purchased one of the Herrn Oberst's damage deck caddies, and I really love the way it fit together and the light birch material it's made from. After gluing it together with Elmer's, I felt it needed something to set it apart from other caddies that might be on the board. So I sealed it with a couple of coats of a brushed on, light-colored, acrylic-based stain and varnish combination. While it did darken it a little bit, I wanted something more distinctive. And since I really like the 'combatant' backgrounds to our avatars, I thought THAT might be a way to differentiate my caddy from others on the playing surface. The first photo shows an in-progress shot, and the next two photos show the finished product.

Name:  IMG_0062[1].jpg
Views: 585
Size:  125.7 KBName:  IMG_0064[1].jpg
Views: 574
Size:  153.2 KBName:  IMG_0065[1].jpg
Views: 574
Size:  149.7 KB

All in all, it was a fairly easy process, and I like the way it turned out. I had debated using the vertical scribed panel lines to replicate an Iron Cross ribbon on one side and the ribbon from a Military Cross on the other, but I settled on the avatar background instead. For those of you contemplating a similar treatment, I think the sky's the limit - go wherever you're comfortable!

Thanks for looking.
    All the best,
    Matt

Oh my, this is outstanding.

Thank you for sharing.

Well done, sir! Very nice. I like the taller walls of the new caddy.

Looks really nice! Thanks for posting the photos.

That does look really good! Nice work.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the encouragement, folks!

Were you to talk with the guys from my local miniatures modeling group, they would confirm how hard it is for me to build something simply "out of the box"...

Always the best,
    Matt

Love the personalisation!

I couldn't decide which side to support, so I just painted the caddy with red ink, to match the damage cards

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  157.4 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  160.8 KB

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Tim! I really like that look a lot...and I really like that you only painted the outside - it looks GREAT with the damage cards inside. And picking the letters for the decks out in white connects to the cards nicely, too. Well done, that man!

Always the best,
    Matt

Glad you like it Matt!

The red/white scheme, matching the cards, is just the effect I was aiming for.

My second caddy I painted with orange ink, and it looks just about the same (don't have any pictures of it yet - recent camera trouble!)

Some very nice work there. I recon they both look good. Furthermore you all have given me insperation to spruce up my own deck caddy.

They say the simple ideas are the best Matt.
    I can see this starting a trend in card box personalized art.
    Now where did I put those old plywood Rotary Cockpits?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Rob, I'm looking forward to getting a couple of the rotary cockpits and doing something with those, too. And I want to get one of the Herr Oberst's advanced cockpits (and I'll probably leave it alone, hard as that might be...)

I'm also working on a homemade cigar box console - I'll post snaps of it when I get more done...

Always the best,
    Matt

Yes I will be interested to see any innovations that you make Matt.
    You are right about the advanced cockpits in that they really don't need any enhancement.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Rob,

I ordered the black WWI cockpit from the Herrn Oberst - it should be here any day - and I have an idea for a shield to place over the front to 'hide' what you're doing from 2-seaters flying too close on reccee (or neighbors' prying eyes). I'm kind of excited about it and will post some pics when I have attempted it (hopefully it will work the way I'm planning...)

If I'm in luck, then the Bobby Burns adage about things which "gang aft aglee" won't apply...

I'll keep you posted.

All the best,
    Matt

I'll be interested to see it in action Harry.
    Can't honestly say I've ever experienced the problem of voyeurism myself, but then the chaps I play with usually sit opposite sides of the table depending on whos side they are on, and if planes come over the mid point the people on that side of the table move them for each other, so no one ever comes round to the wrong side as it were. We did not agree this, but it just seems to have evolved.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

That's how we operate, as well, Rob. The idea of a shield is probably just my need to 'tweak' things...

I'll see how my idea pans out and post the results.

All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

So my buddy Jim (rhodie80) wanted his damage deck caddie to be a little different from mine - he wanted bunting/drapery in natlonal colors instead of national insignia...

I originally thought I would do something with epoxy putty to make the drapery 3D, but I didn't like the way the epoxy was working, so I opted for simply heavy card stock and painting the bunting on the card stock and gluing it to the DDC...

Here's the Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian side
    Name:  IMG_0300.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  166.3 KB

And the Italian and generic British/French/American side
    Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  162.1 KB

Jim was very pleased with the finished result, and I must say I was surprised how much I liked it, too (given that I liked my original take on decorating the DDC...)

The bunting idea is (I think) another nifty way to set a caddy apart from another on the playing surface.

As always, thanks for looking!

All the best,
    Matt

Great work again Matt! If I had not seen the pics, I probably would have said I'd not care for it too much... but it does look really good!

Are these going to be back in stock any time soon Keith?

Nice work, Matt! You continue to convince me that I want things I didn't know I wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    So my buddy Jim (rhodie80) wanted his damage deck caddie to be a little different from mine - he wanted bunting/drapery in natlonal colors instead of national insignia...

I originally thought I would do something with epoxy putty to make the drapery 3D, but I didn't like the way the epoxy was working, so I opted for simply heavy card stock and painting the bunting on the card stock and gluing it to the DDC...

Here's the Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian side
    Name:  IMG_0300.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  166.3 KB

And the Italian and generic British/French/American side
    Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  162.1 KB

Jim was very pleased with the finished result, and I must say I was surprised how much I liked it, too (given that I liked my original take on decorating the DDC...)

The bunting idea is (I think) another nifty way to set a caddy apart from another on the playing surface.

As always, thanks for looking!

All the best,
    Matt
    thats really sharp matt!

Missed this thread when it first went round.
    Great stuff, Matt
    Might have to get me one of those ...

It certainly adds a certain something extra to what was already a very fine design for the caddy.
    I am now wondering if an actual realistic hanger paint job might work with some National emblems superimposed, or would that be a caddy too far?
    Rob.

Wonderful designed, Matt.

Maybe I try to paint my dammage Card caddy, too.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Hopefully! Right now the Ares Giant KS is taking up all my laser time. I'll try and get some more of these (and the ACE cockpits) before I leave on my trip next month.

These new caddies are superb, Matt!
    Whatever will you come up with next?

Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Bill, I just added 7 to the site.

Now I have to convince myself I really need one of those...ok I do.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Bill, I just added 7 to the site.
    Snagged one of 'em - thanks Keith!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I personally think the game's not the same WITHOUT a damage deck caddy! If Keith didn't make one, I'd have to have come up with an inferior version to use in our games...

I know you have a lot to do right now, but keep these puppies in stock, Herr Oberst!

All the best,
    Matt

keith have you ever thought of making a caddy with 8 holes so you can keep discards next to the active deck and without the raised part under the deck but with a vertical cut out like a card dealers "card shoe"?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Not sure that would work/be necessary, Phillip - most folks seem to keep damage cards until they're 'boomed' or shot down, or until the game ends. In the former circumstance, they tend to get reshuffled into the appropriate deck, or when the game ends all are collected and replaced and shuffled for the next game...

Unless one is using chits to keep track of damage dealt in a WGF game, there would really be no need to have a 'discard' pile, and then, depending on whether you have one deck or more of A, B, C, or D, it's probably a better idea to shuffle cards back in anyway...

No need to make Damage Deck Caddies any MORE challenging for Keith to fabricate...

All the best,
    Matt

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I gather these could not be used for WGS - the damage tokens are too small and would fall through the holes!

Fantastic idea and the artwork is just wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Not sure that would work/be necessary, Phillip - most folks seem to keep damage cards until they're 'boomed' or shot down, or until the game ends. In the former circumstance, they tend to get reshuffled into the appropriate deck, or when the game ends all are collected and replaced and shuffled for the next game...

Unless one is using chits to keep track of damage dealt in a WGF game, there would really be no need to have a 'discard' pile, and then, depending on whether you have one deck or more of A, B, C, or D, it's probably a better idea to shuffle cards back in anyway...

No need to make Damage Deck Caddies any MORE challenging for Keith to fabricate...

All the best,
    Matt
    must be our groups playstyle. i always use at least 2 A decks and dont usually reshuffle until the 2nd boom card rears its ugly face. subsequently we usually end up with at least 1 stack of "spent" cards for each damage deck in play. i just thought itd be nice to have a caddy to hold the active decks and the discards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    keith have you ever thought of making a caddy with 8 holes so you can keep discards next to the active deck and without the raised part under the deck but with a vertical cut out like a card dealers "card shoe"?
    I could look into it, but not sure how economically friendly it would be. The current design already eats up a lot of wood. Almost doubling the size would be a real challenge for production. Due how the parts have to fit on the sheet of wood, it might actually be cheaper to just buy two of the regular caddies and use one for the discards.

I could look into it, but not sure how economically friendly it would be. The current design already eats up a lot of wood. Almost doubling the size would be a real challenge for production. Due how the parts have to fit on the sheet of wood, it might actually be cheaper to just buy two of the regular caddies and use one for the discards.
    ok. it was just a thought.

Great sales pitch there, Herr Oberst!

Everyone with a damage card caddy, BUY ANOTHER!

AshDOG

These look amazing. Did you guys glue this together or just snap the parts together?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I just used Elmer's glue to glue mine together, Ash - dry-fit yours first to get a feel for how best to glue the pieces, and then you shouldn't have any problems with it.

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by AshDOG View Post
    These look amazing. Did you guys glue this together or just snap the parts together?
    I've been using mine for years without glue. They are designed to "snap" together,but gluing will not hurt it either.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

They do, indeed, 'snap' together and stay together sitting on the table. What caused me to glue mine was the fear that, in picking it up and moving it from place to place, it might accidentally fall apart...and then I wanted to stain and paint mine to set it apart from others on the table, so gluing seemed a natural way to go.

But they do fit nicely together straight 'out of the bag' - so if you are planning on not being too physical with the caddy, no glue should be necessary.

All the best,
    Matt

My two are glued with PVA wood glue (no, not glued to each other!!!).
    I'd hate to have to play "200+ Card Pickup" if one were to fall apart mid-move over the table

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

My thoughts exactly, Tim - besides, the fit is so nice that if one is careful, the glue isn't noticeable at all - and it only takes 5 minutes to glue it together...

I have one glued waiting for staining and painting for my buddy Rick (The Blue Whale) as we 'speak' - I'll post pics of it when it's finished...

All the best,
    Matt

Congratulations on the 1000 posts, Matt!

Are you going to start a thread in the Officer's Mess?

AshDOG

I ended up putting a little wood glue just incase. It looks amazing, everyone in our grouped loved it!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The 3rd musketeer of our triumvirate, The Blue Whale (my good friend Rick), is getting his damage deck caddy back this evening at our bi-weekly Paint Night. He wanted something a little different from mine and Jim's (rhodie80), so I suggested wing splotches of lozenge and French camo...

I added the leader's stripe to the German lozenge side and the red/white/red stripe to the French side to 'spice' up the color a bit - both are 'legitimate' markings for planes and/or Escadrilles, and I like the way the color makes the background 'pop' a bit.

I trust Rick will be pleased...

Here is the Central Powers side of the caddy...
    Name:  IMG_0355.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  130.4 KB

and here is the Entente side...
    Name:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  136.9 KB

As always with these lovely little caddies, the sky's the limit to what sort of ways you can dress 'em up if you want to...I have a couple more ideas in mind for future caddies. And I think I might need another for myself soon...

Thanks again, Keith, for making and offering such a cool product!

And, as always, thanks for looking!

Always the best,
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. New Damage Deck Caddy
    By Smitch in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 08:34
  2. Damage Deck Caddy and Solo Play Template
    By Roger Wilco in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 2