Ares Games

Thread: Altitude and range

OttovonBraus

Default Altitude and range

Hi!

First time poster who just started playing this lovely game. The matter about altitude and firing eludes me though. Firing at different heights means you lose range. You do however get a +1 if firing from above. But do I only get to dish out 1 card since it says it should be treated as firing at long range? That makes firing at the same altitude more effective, right? Feels strange.

Furthermore, how do you handle overlapping bases, altitude and rear gunners? Had a situation today where a two seated was passed by a higher flying scout, but they ended up overlapping. Looked like a phenomenal firing position for the rear gunner but is he allowed to fire? Since he's not busy flying he might have the nerve to fire.
    Best regards,
    Otto von Braus

Hi Michael,
    Welcome to the Aerodrome!
    Firstly yes, you do get a +1 bonus from above, but you can only fire half a ruler and only give out one damage card. Firing at the same altitude is more effective.
    As for your second question I follow the rulebook in that when two plane overlap, they can not fire at each other no matter how good a shot one would have.
    -Elijah

Hi and welcome. Overlapping bases no shooting. Same altitude close range better

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Hi and welcome. Overlapping bases no shooting. Same altitude close range better
    That's how the RAP explains it, if not in as few words!

A number of players (myself included) house rule altitude some, however... In my case, a difference of 1 altitude level is treated as being the same... so you would draw two cards. A difference of two (and sometimes three, depending upon the game) levels would allow only a single drawn card.

Welcome. Glad you're enjoying the game.

OttovonBraus

Thanks for the clarifications and welcomes!
    //OvB

Welcome to the 'drome Michael, the beauty of this game is that you can house rule as much or as little as you like. Providing you let all players know this will be allowed have at it !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Just about covered by other members remarks Michael.
    let me just add a welcome on behalf of the squadrons based here in the U.K.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome Michael. Happy flying. House rules, altitude or no altitude the beauty of the game is that it can be as complicated or as simple as you wish. But above all have fun playing the game.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. The first 1/200 model range?
    By Ragnar200 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-14-2014, 17:45
  2. New F-Toy Range available here in Japan
    By FarEast in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 19:30
  3. Am I in range to fire?
    By Skyguy001 in forum Polls
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 13:13
  4. Has Ken got his own range of tools now?
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 16:03
  5. Range
    By Pooh in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 18:02