Ares Games

Thread: Paper composite

Default Paper composite

Yeah, it's been done by other people, but I'm working on a flight of the Bleriot Experimental 2c; the media I'm working with is cardstock & hobby wood. Question: where would I get a trio of 4-bladed propellers in 1/144 scale? Or should I make my own from cardstock? This is my current sticking point in this project.

(And yes, I promise pics when I get them together).

Either from a Shapeways kit or make your own from plasti-card...... I've used plastic card myself and it gives excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Either from a Shapeways kit or make your own from plasti-card...... I've used plastic card myself and it gives excellent results.
    Clipper has also done resin props in the past. He may be ameniable. Drop him a PM Sam.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    or make your own from plasti-card.
    BTW, I meant to thank you for this suggestion; don't know why that just didn't occur to me before, but yes, it is the best way to go.

Bob's Cardmodels has a free 1/72 scale download of a Handley-Page bomber which has four blade props.

See: http://bobscardmodels.altervista.org/page2.htm

Print at 50% to get 1/144 scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Bob's Cardmodels has a free 1/72 scale download of a Handley-Page bomber which has four blade props.

See: http://bobscardmodels.altervista.org/page2.htm
    Excellent as a template; thanks.

Hi Sam,
    I'm new to the site but not to building.
    I used 110lb card stock that worked just fine. I also decided to use very thin wood for struts. I think it came from an old cigar box. It was only slightly thicker than the card stock. It wa much easier to work with than folding small paper strips! Thin balsa sheet or plastic card wood do well too.
    I used some hard transparent plastic from a package of paper clips for the spinning prop, but I bet the wood would look better as a still propeller.
    Good luck and show your completed project.

I need to amend my response. I thought I was using 110 lb for the plane but found that I had a lighter card stock in the open pack.
    After making a plane with 110, I was not happy with how it folded. The top layer was delaminating! I bet 110 would be good for struts, props and things that need more bulk, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    I need to amend my response. I thought I was using 110 lb for the plane but found that I had a lighter card stock in the open pack.
    After making a plane with 110, I was not happy with how it folded. The top layer was delaminating! I bet 110 would be good for struts, props and things that need more bulk, though.
    I use 32 Lb Laser copy paper.
    Some modelers would use 67 Lb cardstock.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post94390

Similar Missions

1. A few more paper targets.
    By phililphall in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2014, 14:54
  2. My 1/144 paper builds
    By sidewinder81777 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 01:11
  3. decal paper
    By grumpybear in forum Hobby Room