Ares Games

Thread: May I recommend.

Default May I recommend.

For those of you wishing to add Devastators, Wildcats, Dauntless or B 25 Mitchells to you collection take a look at Sprue Brothers store for Merit International models.. The service is excellent and delivery to Europe in my case was 5 days inc Christmas day. All come in blister packs of 4 models plus decals for $15.99 thats £10.25. Not a bad price me thinks.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/2369.htm

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Clearly happy with your purchases then Paul ?! Glad you found some

Yep Dave. A nice source of decent models. Could you be tempted to the Pacific Theatre?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I'm intrigued... but... weakening...

Heard about these in another thread and ordered the TBD and SBD's. Received them the day after Christmas. Not bad models. They fill the gap until ARES can produce their own.

I have the Dauntless on route from Sprue Bros Paul, but they are intended for recruitment into the FAA.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've seen the whole collection here in Japan and actually they are pretty impressive, they just need some ink washes and they would be perfect.

The Dauntless does not have a bomb. The planes are all painted the same light blue color. The US star doesn't have the red dot in the middle but the decal set has the dots for you to add. Also there are the red & white stripes to add to the tail. Code letter is B and numbers 0-9 (x2). Checking my AIRFILE book code B would be for the Enterprise at Midway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-28-2014 4;53;50 PM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	153622

Scan of the decal sheet for the Dauntless.
    Last edited by BobP; 12-28-2014 at 13:57.

Good info, thanks.

Looking at pics of the aircraft, a wash seems like a good idea. And, if you're representing aircraft after Coral Sea, you won't need to mess with the dots and stripes... they were removed sometime in May of '42.

The dots were not present at Coral Sea either, and the red/white tail stripes were long gone also.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The dots were not present at Coral Sea either, and the red/white tail stripes were long gone also.
    I thought so as well, but you can find artwork depicting the battle that shows aircraft sporting the red dots and stripes. And I've seen a pic, supposedly taken in late April '42 (days before the battle), of an Enterprise Wildcat in early-livery... so I'm not so sure what I know.

I am reasonably confident, however, that they were phased out by the end of May '42.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I've always thought the dots and stripes *were* used at Coral Sea - the order removing the red from combat aircraft was dated 12th May 1942 (ie. a few days after Coral Sea), while a further order two weeks later instructed it be removed from all aircraft, period.

That's what I'm finding as well. Not sure where I got the impression that they were removed prior to Coral Sea... unless it was Midway info creeping in.

Not to be picky and don't take offense but Coral Sea was 4-8 May 42 so sometime in May 42 could be anytime after that. In the AIRFILE book most of the color plates show the stripes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-29-2014 4;20;53 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	153635

Here is the color plate in the book.
    Last edited by BobP; 12-29-2014 at 13:23.

Yeah, my mistake

Coral Sea predated Midway, so dots and stripes SHOULD be present.
    All my WW2 books are stored away so I can't check, but that does make sense.

No offense taken on my part... I think we're all saying basically the same thing. The USN dropped the red dots and red stripes in May of '42. The result is that they were most likely present at Coral Sea and not present at Midway.

The following sites (parts I & II) do a pretty good job of detailing the evolution of USN insignia:

http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN%20Mar...rkings%20I.htm
    http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN%20Mar...kings%20II.htm

Interesting reading, at the very least.

Similar Missions

1. May I recommend a book to read.
    By tikkifriend in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 06:57
  2. I recommend a book: Spitfire into Battle
    By Blackronin in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 03:32