Ares Games

Thread: So what did Santa bring you for Christmas.

Default So what did Santa bring you for Christmas.

I must have been a very good boy this year as Santa got me a Bit of Lace , a couple of Mustangs and 2 FW 190s Oh and a B17 as well

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Got some extra Wargs and bats for my 15mm Orc / Goblin army - now I need to paint them in time for the next Middle Earth game at the club

Series 8, at least she pre ordered and I don't mind the wait

Memoir 44 was this Christmas season's theme, largely due to the enthusiastic endorsement of my fellow wingman, Andrzej: base game and many of the expansions. Now I have to find the map packs (except Stalingrad), the air expansion, and the campaign books. I am impressed with the component quality, and the Tactics and Strategy Guide looks great. With WoG, SoG, and Memoir 44, we have all three "terrains" covered. George (CelticCat) has space taken care of with X-Wing and fantasy with Pathfinder Adventure Card game. The four of us (Sue and Colleen) should be good for at least a month, I think.

Sue gave me a Hot Wheels race car - collecting these and Matchbox cars to build a large Formula D style track. This car is a Nascar with "Character Counts" (in honor of scouting) on the hood and rear quarter panels; developing a virtuous character is a major component of my ethics courses, so Sue's gift was doubly appreciated.

What excites me about all these games is how quickly a new player can engage. It has been fun, thus far, watching my sisters, friends, and students get into WoG, SoG, or Formula D. Now we'll see what will take place regarding WWII land battling; I think it will be especially fun to play Overload with my students. George has been recruited to take them through some X-Wing and Pathfinder games this semester as well. Fun times are ahead.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

SWMBO surprised me with the current three Halberstadt CLIIs, and my in-laws did the same with 5 Wings of War planes they purchased off ebay - what a lovely surprise! Thanks to rhodie80 for letting the boss know what I didn't have yet!

Now we just have to get together in the next week to see how they fly!

All the best,
    Matt

I got to visit my parents for Christmas, and they put in a huge dinner for all their neighbors. Ham, turkey, all the fixings. Yum! One of the neighbors brought over a pumpkin pie made from scratch, not canned filling!

For me Santa brought me "KEK's and Fokkerstaffels"

ISBN-10: 1781552231
    ISBN-13: 978-1781552230

Just starting to read, also got three French ships for my SoG

Sounds like everyone was good this year

This year, our families didn't buy presents. The money we would have spent on presents went to local charities. We did share big dinners and lots of libations.

However, Shane [Skyguy001] and I finally got together for a game at Games and Grounds, a local place that caters to electronic and board gaming, just before Christmas. They've started bringing in all sorts of boxed games, collectable card games, and unfortunately, Wh40k. Currently, they are the only gaming store north of Naniamo (an hour drive south). Why am I explaining all this? Well, as Shane and I were sitting down to play, G&G was unpacking a shipment. Amongst all the Wh40k models and bits, Talisman boxed sets, and Magic Card packs, were Wings of Glory planes!

So, I may have an extremely close source of WoG stuff! That was a completely unexpected present. Pretty happy guy.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This year, our families didn't buy presents. The money we would have spent on presents went to local charities. We did share big dinners and lots of libations.

However, Shane [Skyguy001] and I finally got together for a game at Games and Grounds, a local place that caters to electronic and board gaming, just before Christmas. They've started bringing in all sorts of boxed games, collectable card games, and unfortunately, Wh40k. Currently, they are the only gaming store north of Naniamo (an hour drive south). Why am I explaining all this? Well, as Shane and I were sitting down to play, G&G was unpacking a shipment. Amongst all the Wh40k models and bits, Talisman boxed sets, and Magic Card packs, were Wings of Glory planes!

So, I may have an extremely close source of WoG stuff! That was a completely unexpected present. Pretty happy guy.

Not a lot.....

Santa was pretty good to me this year... she packaged up the following three titles, and gave the nod to pre-order Series 8!

Would she consider being a secret Santa next year :;

TrackIR 5 Pro for me. Should be here in a few days. I may become a force to be reckoned with in the virtual skies.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Would she consider being a secret Santa next year :;
    I married a wonderful woman with a great heart... so anything is within the realm of possibility. I was hoping to persuade her that future vacancies in my hangar should be filled... but the books came as a complete surprise!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Your first two books are on my to-buy list, as well, Christopher. Hope you enjoy them!

All the best, Matt

I got

Keks and Fokkerstaffels
    Richthofen's Circus (osprey)
    Pfalz Fighter Aircraft (legends of aviation)
    Pfalz Scout Aces of WW1 (osprey)
    8 Fokker DVIIs for further repaints

+ a new printer for my new laptop

Smile

No Wings or WW1 Aero books in my pressies but I had already purchased Kek's, the new Bishop book by Peter Kilduff & Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell just prior to Christmas.
    However got the box set of Seasons 1-3 of Vera, Season 5 of Justified, Subscription to the Formula 1 magazine, 2 tins of Taylors special Teas ( Christmas Blend & Scottish Breakfast) plus lots of other small stuff.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 12-27-2014 at 15:04.

Nothing aviation related, but Empress Miniatures 28mm Challenger and some modern Brits. Also the latest Call of Duty.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The two WW2 Cockpits are from Mrs Kyte.
    The Backup Wings Of Glory Rules set from my elder son,
    and the third Lancaster Bomber plus the Hanger tray from my younger son.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6185.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	153560

Our main present this year was a joint one between Mrs Kyte and myself.
    The new Summer House, which I just managed to erect and part paint before the weather turned last week.
    The doors still need painting white and the electrics inside need to be installed.
    Needless to say it did not get gift wrapped.

Name:	DSC_6184.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	153559

Still to come are the new SoG releases.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Santa missed me but i have heard he will deliver a couple of B-17`s in a week or so!

Rich

Bugger all

2 siemens schuckert, an aviatik, a spad XIII, a sopwith tripe, a yak and a kawasaki ki61. oh and 2 really cool marked m1 helmets!

Sorry Doug and David, hope the new ear treats you better.

I am a blessed man with a wonderful, and beautiful, wife and family. I had been saving for a little over a year to purchase a new AK47. My wife told me to get my money, we're going to the gun shop. When we got there she asked me which one I wanted and gave me the remaining money to buy it. Took it and a number of my other guns, out to Cali over Christmas at the In-Laws and 10 of us went out shooting for the day. Had a great time, put 100 rounds through my new weapon, and enjoyed the family outing. Oh, and I got a new "In-n-Out Burgers" hat. Great Christmas made all the better watching my wife and daughter open the gifts I got for them. Happy New Year all!

Well nothing Wings wise but my sister got me some Yuengling BBQ and wing sauce. Saw that MiniMart just received the C&C expansion 1&2 so the wife let me that that as her present. Very nice.

Santa made a late delivery yesterday. An F-Toys an ME-262 B and a Mig-15bis. That makes my 262 collection complete i did not have a night fighter version amongst my 10 plus collection!

Rich

Rich did not know you needed a 262B. Which Mig 15 and 262 did you get? Have to see what extras I have for you next month.

Santa dropped the WW2 ruleset in as we got the bug playing it at Derby. Oh and along with that came a P40, 2 Zeroes, 2 Stukas and for WW1 a balloon buster box. I might need translation for Italian on the latter though as it came from Italia on eBay, although I've not had time to open it yet and see what language the instructions are in, the box wording is in Italian so I suspect it's the same inside. On the lookout for some Macchis now and some Hurricanes or Spits to do Malta with.

Bob

Bob thank for thinking about me! I have 6 mounted 262`s three still in the box Takara 262`s and six 262 kits to build! The 262B is novel since it is the night fighter version. I think i am good on ME-262 right now! Do you have a HE-100D fighter? If not i will throw it in the surplus box.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Spring-Chicken View Post
    Santa dropped the WW2 ruleset in as we got the bug playing it at Derby. I might need translation for Italian on the latter though as it came from Italia on eBay, although I've not had time to open it yet and see what language the instructions are in, the box wording is in Italian so I suspect it's the same inside.
    In that case the Drome copy of the rules in English might help Simon.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1179

Rob.

Books, lots and lots of books! Muhahahahahahah!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The two WW2 Cockpits are from Mrs Kyte.
    The Backup Wings Of Glory Rules set from my elder son,
    and the third Lancaster Bomber plus the Hanger tray from my younger son.

Name:	DSC_6185.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	153560

Our main present this year was a joint one between Mrs Kyte and myself.
    The new Summer House, which I just managed to erect and part paint before the weather turned last week.
    The doors still need painting white and the electrics inside need to be installed.
    Needless to say it did not get gift wrapped.

Name:	DSC_6184.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	153559

Still to come are the new SoG releases.

Rob.
    Is there room in there for a table and a couple of mats Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    In that case the Drome copy of the rules in English might help Simon.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1179

Rob.
    Thank you for the link Rob. Where's the best place to find decals to alter the Stukas to the same Staffel, Doms Decals? Likewise for altering Spits and Macchis when I get them?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring-Chicken View Post
    Thank you for the link Rob. Where's the best place to find decals to alter the Stukas to the same Staffel, Doms Decals? Likewise for altering Spits and Macchis when I get them?
    You can't go far wrong with Doms offerings

But if he Don't have what you need try

Shed Decals (Chris Sawyer) these are also Helmet models decals. He does a big sheet of German crosses plus lettering in white and black as well as national roundals, Google the one true scale
    Another good source is on eBay 1/144 Direct is the shop Mehulsa is the Shop owner, he does a lot of different decals including german tail markings. ( yes I know they are swaztickers)

I think 1/144 direct have a set of JU88 decals for the same unit, they do for Me109 and Me110 , pretty sure I saw similar for the Stuka

The nearest Dom gets to 200 scale is 1:300 for ww2 I'm afraid Simon.
    Some of the largest sizes will do for the smallest German planes but not much else.
    You are better trying one of the other sites that Chris suggests.
    Rob.

1/144 direct have a good range of decals. just got some more WWI German crosses today.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I've ordered twice now from 1-144Direct, and I got what I wanted and quickly, too - within a week for the first order and then just over a week on my last order, but that was right around Christmas and THAT mail storm...

He has quite a lot to choose from, and many of his 'images' are gateways to multiple types of decal sheets - for example, he shows one sheet of 5-color lozenge, but when you click on it, there are 5 or 6 variations to choose from. Check him out if you haven't already.

All the best, and happy hunting!
    Matt

Anime DVDs (_Dual!_, and _Betterman_); plus enough B&N gift cards to pillage their gaming shelves for _X-Wing_ minis, to wit:

-- Four TIE Advanced
    -- Two TIE Bomber
    -- Two Y-Wing
    -- Two HWK-290
    -- Two YT-2400

I should have enough to run "The Battle of Bree X" at Game Storm this year.... >;)

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post

This one is on my wish list.

Similar Missions

1. The Santa sanction, or the Christmas file.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 07:03
  2. A Girl! Bring the champange!
    By Thomatchef in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 02:17
  3. Now we are back.....Bring on the stripper!
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 01:05
  4. What pressies did Santa bring.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 12:09
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 12:59