Ares Games

Thread: Malta December 1940. A strange encounter.

Default Malta December 1940. A strange encounter.

December Sortie.

This will be the last sortie of 1940 before the Germans take a hand in things. It will get a lot sticker from now on chaps.

This brief was inspired by an account of an encounter near Naples by Adrian Warburton the pilot who flew Maryland reconnaissance flights over Taranto prior to the Swordfish raid thereon.

Warburton continued his sorties in the Maryland after Taranto, towards the end of 1940.

He writes:-

I was entering the bay of Naples from the Southwest at 1,500 feet when I saw an SM79 with brown mottled camouflage heading across my track. The clouds were at 2,000 feet in a solid bank, so if fighters appeared I could retire. I, therefore, made a stern attack; some pieces of the tail flew off and my rounds started going into the fuselage. I closed the range and concentrated on the starboard engine which started to smoke and eventually stopped. My rear gunner wanted to try the new turret, so I broke away and drew parallel to the SM79, slightly above and about 100 yards to his starboard. My rear gunner put in a burst of about 20 rounds which ignited the petrol and the SM79 burst into a mass of flames and dived into the sea from 1,000 feet, disappearing immediately. I then carried on with my recce of Naples and returned to Luqa.
    This description of two aircraft which one would not readily associate with a dog fight got me thinking.
    The mission is simple. Use two aircraft of the type mentioned or,similar, over the sea, with the British aircraft positioned at long range ruler length behind the Italian, whichever side you are flying. Cloud is at 2,000 feet and you are at 1,500. That is all you need to know.

Good luck gentlemen.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Might try to get this in on Monday. Nice one Rob. Dunno what I'm going to do for a twin engine British plane though.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Might try to get this in on Monday. Nice one Rob. Dunno what I'm going to do for a twin engine British plane though.
    Use a Beaufighter and pretend it's a Blenheim. they both start with a B.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Aircraft over Malta 1940/42.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-07-2015, 15:38
  2. AAR Malta July 1940.
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 14:58
  3. AAR Malta End of June 1940.
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 03:43
  4. Siege of Malta: 1940 Redux and 1942
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 17:14
  5. AAR Tria 1. The Malta alternative. March 1940.
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 10:46