Ares Games

Thread: Reprints of Reprints: N vs I, II vs III etc

Default Reprints of Reprints: N vs I, II vs III etc

Ares has already reprinted the WWI bombers after they became hard to get.

Series 4(?) - anyway, the Moranes, DH2s, Halberstadt D.IIIs and Fokker E.IIIs are now reaching "rare" status too. I've already seen Immelman's mount go for premium prices.

A minor digression - please bear with me - we don't talk about it much, but despite the extensive historical research and quest for accuracy in the models, we have grown to accept some minor glitches in them - probably because of the superb paint jobs.

I'm not talking about the kind of compromises necessary for series production - airfoil cross-section of wings, thickness of struts, omission of rigging - either.

I'm talking about omission of cabane struts on the Br14, the lack of nacelle struts on the Gothas and Capronis, the mix of Gotha IV and Gotha V characteristics on the Gotha models, the wrong-way-round V struts on the Albatros, the lack of dihedral and vertical struts on the Hanriot,,, minor stuff, the planes look right. I won't mention the unfortunate Sopwith Triplane. Then there's the Belgian RE8's engine.

While it would be better to fix these issues, is it necessary? From the sales results of the Albatros D.Va and bombers, a resounding No!. The flaws are deemed minor. Even purists like myself prefer the excellent paint schemes on the flawed models than our own paint jobs on more accurate Shapeways models - for these have their own problems with surface texture, strut thickness etc.

Now getting back to the issue of reprints... do we want "more of the same", Morane Ns with different paint jobs, Fokker E.IIIs likewise... or would we accept, say, Morane I's and Fokker E.IIs using the same model - but (at least with the Morane I vs Morane N) different stats?

A Morane I - often referred to as a Morane N bis - is a Morane N with wings extended a few inches and a larger (110hp vs 80hp) but dimensionally similar engine. In 1/144 scale, the difference in wingspan is about a millimeter. This is far, far less than the inaccuracies we already accept in other models. It's comparable with the difference between Nieuport 17 and Nieuport 23 - a case where Nexus used the same model to represent two different aircraft types whose external appearance was similarly almost identical.

A handful of Morane N bis were used in combat by the French. Exactly 4 of them in combat as the "Morane N 110hp with 90 minute tank" by the RFC's 60 squadron.

And piles of them, at least 18, by the Russians. There's no evidence that they ever used any Morane N in combat, and may have had only one.

There is a difference in performance though. The extra power of the 110hp engine increased speed to 165+ kph with the same load as an N, but they were distinctly nose-heavy, so didn't turn as well, and were described by RFC pilots as a positive menace to land, compared with the N.

This is not an N. It's an I.

Name:  morane_I_russia_500.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  34.1 KB

As for the E.III
    The E.III was basically an E.II fitted with larger, newly designed wings that had a slightly narrower chord of 1.80 meter (70-7/8 in), compared to 1.88 meter (74 in) on the earlier Eindeckers, going back to Fokker's original M.5 monoplane aircraft.
    80mm in 1/144 is just over 0.5mm. Wingspan of an E.II was 18cm longer - just over 1mm in 1/144. Again, the difference is miniscule. I defy anyone to tell the difference on the table. Moreover, performance was similar enough so both E.II and E.III would have the same game stats.

So.. what think you, gentlemen? If Ares reprinted the exact same Morane N models (different and historically accurate paint schemes and serials of course) but calling them I's not N's - and with something like a V deck rather than T deck - would you be positive, negative, or neutral?

The DH2 is alas, a DH2. It would take some extensive research to find something different from the existing combinations of CDL, PC10, and RFC roundels. I've found two - one rather blue, another more gaudy one that supported Lawrence in the desert. DH2s soldiered in in Palestine into 1918 too, mostly against no aeriel opposition, sometimes vs various Turkish 2-seaters. The Middle East was a backwater for both sides, where obsolete but not worn-out aircraft often ended up. BE2s, DH2s, Martinsydes on one hand, old Aviatiks and Fokker E's and D's on the other. with an increasing handful of more modern Brisfits, Camels, SE5s, RE8s, Albatros and late-model Halberstadts.

Talking about Halberstadts... then there's the reprint of the Halberstadt D.III. Maybe a D.II? The engine and exhaust is visibly different, but not as much as with, say, the Belgian RE8 vs the others. Or even the D.V, as the only visible difference there was again a different exhaust and rounded rather than square cutout on the top wing. Research has shown that, contrary to some sources, there were quite a few of these on the Western Front. They could easily out-turn Albatros D.IIIs, were just as fast - but only had one gun, and a woeful climb rate. They had qualities the Luftstreitcrafte didn't value very much, and failings in the areas that were deemed most important.

At the time Von Richthofen used a "Halberstadt D" when his red Albatros D.III was broken, Jasta 11 had one D.II. one D.III, and eleven D.Vs. As Jasta commander, he probably used one of the better planes - but there's also the possibility that he could have used either of the two spares probably kept in reserve for when the better planes were under repair. We're guessing here, we have to.

So maybe an MvR D.V in a conjectural colour scheme - basically rustbrown/green maybe with hastily applied red bits - a Turkish D.V with a single gun from the first batch, also from March-April 1917 in similar colours (without the red) - and a Turkish D.V with twin guns from the second batch of Jan 1918 in purple/green. A worthy opponent for the Australian Brisfit - something like a Q deck, A armament. Here's Croneiss' iconic photo - note exhaust to stbd not vertical, and rounded cutout.

Or 3 D.IIs in various colours which are better documented. Including an MvR one that he flew home one day for a short break, and may or may not have used in combat.

Or of course, more of the same, straight reprints, no changes. Comments?

id always go for the new paint scheme options as opposed to reprinting already existing paint schemes. it means more a/c available for our hangars and more options for scenario play.

Tough call for me; I'm not really into the early planes, though I did buy them (for the decks and completeness of collection).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    id always go for the new paint scheme options as opposed to reprinting already existing paint schemes. it means more a/c available for our hangars and more options for scenario play.
    ditto

More new paint schemes for sure. I wouldn't mind new stats for a different production type using the same model, such as your Halberstadt example. I think they'll do this to a point, as with the Nieuport you mentioned.

New paint schemes are always a plus. The minor dimensional differences betwen models would as you say be unnoticable on the tabletop. I'm all for bringing on different planes! There are not enough early planes.

Thumbs up

Well as a real lover of the early war aircraft this does appeal to me.
    Would love to see some Pfalz E's at some stage!

New paint schemes are welcome. Minor variations in models are o.k..

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    New paint schemes are welcome. Minor variations in models are o.k..
    Have to agree!

I thought about this when I got the Immelmann boaster pack recently with the different variants of the Eindecker, why not release a plane with several variant cards?

The differences between the Fokker E.I, through to the E.IV for instance is so slight that they should have just given us cards for each variant with the miniatures, sure the model doesn't have 3 MG's if you are sporting the E.IV but lets face it at a 1/144 scale and during a game the details are hardly noticeable and I for one am not going to call out an opponent for using a non historically accurate miniature in a game. (If that was the case I'd never get to play a game)

Also players like myself would happily buy more than one of the same miniature to convert to a more historically detailed version of the miniature and this is a good thing for Ares. (more sales, more money to put back in to the game).

I would also like to see more generic paint schemes rather than aces, maybe 1 plane out of a set painted up as an unknown, as I really hate playing games full of Aces just strikes me as silly and lets face it if we are moaning about other historical inadequacies in the modeling we should also be thinking about this. (unless of course they are from units that did have numerous aces such as JG-1 or 60th Sqd.)

Just a thought.

So say lots of us!

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I thought about this when I got the Immelmann boaster pack recently with the different variants of the Eindecker, why not release a plane with several variant cards?

The differences between the Fokker E.I, through to the E.IV for instance is so slight that they should have just given us cards for each variant with the miniatures, sure the model doesn't have 3 MG's if you are sporting the E.IV but lets face it at a 1/144 scale and during a game the details are hardly noticeable and I for one am not going to call out an opponent for using a non historically accurate miniature in a game. (If that was the case I'd never get to play a game)

Also players like myself would happily buy more than one of the same miniature to convert to a more historically detailed version of the miniature and this is a good thing for Ares. (more sales, more money to put back in to the game).

I would also like to see more generic paint schemes rather than aces, maybe 1 plane out of a set painted up as an unknown, as I really hate playing games full of Aces just strikes me as silly and lets face it if we are moaning about other historical inadequacies in the modeling we should also be thinking about this. (unless of course they are from units that did have numerous aces such as JG-1 or 60th Sqd.)

Just a thought.
    Hopefully they do this with reprints. Giving new names/stats cards with rerun models will help with sales as much or more than just giving new paint jobs. This could be done with planes with many planes that got different engines, even though they didn't get new variant names.

The main problem to additional cards was outlined some years ago by Andrea.
    A sheet of printed cards has so much space available on it. If there is room for extras because the movement deck is shorter you get them filled in with extra cards. If not you don't. I wonder if the same probably applies to a run of aircraft cards. Extra cards space will cost more money to produce at no extra return. Also it re opens the door which Ares have firmly closed. People buying on Ares aircraft, and using the extra cards to supplement aircraft from other manufacturers for repaints. I know these repaints may be Ares ones, but Ares don't seem to want this path to be trodden, and the return may well still not cover the extra printing which is a major part of the production costs.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Zoe,
    With the help of other Forum members, I've put together a list of "similar shape" aircraft for using existing planes as fill-ins. I should mix in your planes on the list, too.

General Overview of WWI Miniatures - Timeline and Theaters - 2014

Where should they go?

And there are always custom cards.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

If I ruled the world......

Or was in charge of Ares production and marketing, anyway.

Fokker E.III
    1) Reprint of Immelman. Because there are many who want one, and for the others, a good basis for repaint.
    2) MvR's E.III. Because it's MvR.
    3) Udet's E.III. Because it has a grey scheme not CDL or green, and nice blue detail.

Name:  800x600_ww1-wings-of-glory_WGF105A.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  50.1 KB
    Name:  59_16.png
Views: 344
Size:  96.1 KB

Airco DH2

1) Hawker's- just to replay the duel with MvR's Albatros
    2) 2Lt R C Steele's A2628 111 Sqd in the desert. Last recorded victory for a DH2 August 1917
    3) Cpt F.W. Stent's A4779 Special Duty Flight 14 Squadron. Co-operated with TE Lawrence from October 1917 to March 1918. Festooned with Arab banners of same design as Saudi flag today on wings, to avoid unpleasantness if landing near friends. No pictures located so far.

Name:  800x600_ww1-wings-of-glory_WGF108B.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  55.2 KB

Like the idea of Stent's machine Zoe.
    It's association with Lawrence may encourage more interest in one of those backwaters which don't get enough attention.
    Rob.

I would buy at least one copy of each of those... without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    3) Cpt F.W. Stent's A4779 Special Duty Flight 14 Squadron. Co-operated with TE Lawrence from October 1917 to March 1918. Festooned with Arab banners of same design as Saudi flag today on wings, to avoid unpleasantness if landing near friends.
    Also equipped with custard -- after all, "My people are the people of the dessert"....

<- running like hell

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Also it re opens the door which Ares have firmly closed. People buying on Ares aircraft, and using the extra cards to supplement aircraft from other manufacturers for repaints.
    Rather than buying from other manufacturers and making their own cards, both aircraft and maneuver decks. It's already happening, you only need to check the hobby section and see the ratio of Ares to Other ratio. But at the end of the day it's out of our hands how they do things.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Also equipped with custard -- after all, "My people are the people of the dessert"....l
    But not jelly, sponge, fruit and cream.This is no trifling matter.

Morane N/I

1) N from Ltt Alfred de Laage de Meux from the La Fayette escadrille. OR Cpt(?) W.M.Fry's I of 60 sqdn RFC A199

Name:  124LAF_MS_Laage.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  32.5 KB
    Name:  morane I a199.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  27.0 KB

2) Smirnoff's infamous I of the 18th Aviatrad

Name:  ivan-smirnoff-morane-i.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  199.9 KB

3) The Albino I of an unknown pilot, possibly Czech Ace Prk. G.E.Suk of 9th Aviatrad

Name:  snow bullet.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  39.8 KB
    Name:  ms1cd_6.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  26.9 KB

But not jelly, sponge, fruit and cream.This is no trifling matter.
    It is certainly no trifling matter to leave the Sherry out of it Zoe!
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It is certainly no trifling matter to leave the Sherry out of it Zoe!
    Kyte.

Sherry? They use a new port of course.

But seriously... which 2 of the RFC I, the Lafeyette N, and the White(in every sense) I would be the best? I think I can assume the Smirnoff one will be in.

But seriously... which 2 of the RFC I, the Lafeyette N, and the White(in every sense) I would be the best? I think I can assume the Smirnoff one will be in.
    Name:  smirnoff-vodka-290x290.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  25.6 KB ???
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Rather than buying from other manufacturers and making their own cards, both aircraft and maneuver decks. It's already happening, you only need to check the hobby section and see the ratio of Ares to Other ratio. But at the end of the day it's out of our hands how they do things.
    It`s kind of inevitable really as its unlikely that anyone is going to bother doing a custom card for a plane that Ares has done already for the game.
    I don`t see this as some sort of competition or threat to the game at all, just supplementing what Ares do!

Ice cream in the face of these poor jokes, let's get back on topic or Mars bar or what ever coblnfevtionary you prever.

How many of you even knew that the Lafayette Squadron had a Morane N? I didn't till I picked up the Windsock Datafile.

Photo from http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...4Lafayette.htm

How many of you even knew that the Lafayette Squadron had a Morane N? I didn't till I picked up the Windsock Datafile.

Photo from http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...4Lafayette.htm
    Not I... thanks for the link!

Yes, new paint schemes are welcome, even at the cost of some very minor dimension changes that come with different variants within a model's production run.
    Last edited by P-51D; 12-30-2014 at 10:22.

Ice cream in the face of these poor jokes, let's get back on topic or Mars bar or what ever coblnfevtionary you prever.
    Thanks for pudding a stop to this,

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I don't think this tripe will ever stop.

All this waffle is verging on spam!

Which brings us nicely round to the Flying Circus.
    Rob.

Now onto the Halberstadt D's.....

Here's a D.V

Here's a D.II

And here's the D.III, the Ares model

Name:  halberstadt-03.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  37.1 KB

Not a lot of visible difference, is there?

We should let this distracting PUNishment pancake to the dirt, and flounder on it's own a while.......

Now onto the Halberstadt D's.....

Here's a D.V

Here's a D.II

And here's the D.III, the Ares model

Name:  halberstadt-03.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  37.1 KB

Not a lot of visible difference, is there?
    Not at 1/144th scale certainly.
    The rhinohorn exhaust is distinctive, so a knowledgeable purist might be offended.
    Karl

Bloody Vikings!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The Rhino horn (Is that a technical term) should not prove a big obstacle, even to the amateur modeller. A pair of Clippers clippers, or the hot and cold technique soon deals with unwanted horns. I have even pulled a bit of hot plastic sprue to deform into such objects in the past. if you try this at home, beware molten hot plastic. It sticks to your skin like hot glue.
    Rob.

Isn't this meant to be in the WWI section and not the WGS section?

Moved.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 2 Reprints
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 720
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 09:55
  2. Baloon Reprints
    By afilter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 03:08
  3. Series 1 Reprints in the UK
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 14