Ares Games

Thread: A real Christmas truce

Default A real Christmas truce

Well as some of you might know, me and my German colleague had decided to play a game of Wings of Glory First World War in honor of the 1914 Christmas truce.
    Sadly it did not come about, it turns out the poor guys Visa expired on November 8th and he has a 60 day window to renew it or face deportation, his Japanese wife is pissed of course and it also comes with some sad family news back home in Germany.

So we decided to call of the match and relax and chat in the staff room, we shock hands and wished each other a Merry Christmas and exchanged some small home made gifts.

Merry Christmas one and all and be thankful for what you have, as others are probably worse off.

I'm sorry to hear about your colleague's misfortunes, but a handshake and exchange of gifts is an appropriate way to honor the truce.

Happy Christmas!

Actually I gave the poor blighter a hug as he looked devastated, his wife is going to kill him when he gets home........ he's a gonna for sure in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your colleague's misfortunes, but a handshake and exchange of gifts is an appropriate way to honor the truce.

Happy Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    ...he looked devastated, his wife is going to kill him when he gets home........ he's a gonna for sure in that sense.
    That's brutal... a serious cloud hanging over his head. I wish him the best.

Bureaucracy can give you a swift knee to the groin at the most inopportune moments - as can the mem-sahib - wish him well for us James !

Unfortunately no Christmas match, James.

I know it's still in the future, but September 2016 I'll come to Tokyo.

So we can arrange a match in Kanagawa, wingman.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Some great news!

My coworker just mailed me......

All is good! A slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again" from immigration. The wife is more scary!
    Thanks for your mental support today. see ya in the morning.
    So a true Christmas miracle...either that or the crafty Hun pulled of the best ever bunking off excuse in history!

Some great news!

So a true Christmas miracle...either that or the crafty Hun pulled of the best ever bunking off excuse in history!
    Go for the miracle, otherwise you'll sych yourself out for the rematch
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Some great news!

So a true Christmas miracle...
    Outstanding news! Hopefully the two of you will be able to meet over NML in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Outstanding news! Hopefully the two of you will be able to meet over NML in the near future!
    I left the gaming mat and the Duel Pack at work yesterday, so hopefully we might get a game in today..... that is if the wife has let him intact

I left the gaming mat and the Duel Pack at work yesterday, so hopefully we might get a game in today..... that is if the wife has let him intact
    I'm picturing an angry wife, and a drawer full of Ginsu knives
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Read this after I emailed you James, so now I know how the game went.

Glad your mate got a break, and hope the news from Germany isn't too alarming for him. Tell him to tiptoe around his better half for a bit -I've watched House of Flying Daggers so I know Japanese ladies can be a bit tetchy
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'm picturing an angry wife, and a drawer full of Ginsu knives
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Tell him to tiptoe around his better half for a bit -I've watched House of Flying Daggers so I know Japanese ladies can be a bit tetchy
    Too True!!!

Hope everything turns out for the best for all concerned.
    Makes you realize just how small the world is when we can all get concerned for a friend of yours James. We have never met him and yet feel for his situation.
    Wish him the best from someone he will never meet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. AAR; The Real Richthofen?
    By HTRAINo in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 11:21
  2. youtube: WWI Christmas Truce Song
    By BeastlyHun in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 10:38
  3. My Birthday Too (the real one )
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17