Ares Games

Thread: Lewis Machine Gun Trivia

Default Lewis Machine Gun Trivia

Interesting piece of trivia:

I've been researching how much ammo was expended by aircraft armed with a Lewis in getting a kill; I was amazed by how many pilots actually record how many shots they fired. So far nearly 85% scored a kill using less than one 47-round drum with the rest using less than 2 full drums. Anything more than that and in all but one case they come home empty handed.

Kind of reminds me of a hunting slogan: one shot, one deer; two shots, two deer; three shots, maybe a deer; and, four shots, no deer.

I'll update as I get more information.

LOOP

Well today I will get another kind of shot ��

Which books did you get this info from Chuck. It sounds very interesting. Were the pilots recorded Aces, or just random flyers?
    I would very much like to get my hands on this info.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thats some very interesting info Chuck. I think pilots tried to conserve ammo and shoot wisely, as they didnt have much ammo. Makes sense.
    Thanks

Nick

Well, the book entitled "LIKE A THUNDERBOLT The Lafayette Escadrille and the Advent of American Pursuit in World War I" starts out describing a kill by Rockwell where his used only 4 bullets; killing the observer and pilot. Another articles describes the same kill but adds that the engine was hit as well. He did not become an ace. Another was entitled History of the Bristol Scout and it describes Hawker's kills; one where he used one drum to send the Albatros C.I down in flames. I'll have to search for the other titles.

Several websites also describe kills. One is http://www.usaww1.com/ : I'll have to check the URLs of the others.

So the short of it is; not all the pilots were or became aces (at least two died prior to getting a 5th kill - both pilots in the Lafayette Escadrille) and none of the books or websites I referenced describe more than one or two such feats...

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    ...a kill by Rockwell where his used only 4 bullets; killing the observer and pilot. Another articles describes the same kill but adds that the engine was hit as well...
    Crazy. Can't imagine that was anything short of extraordinary...

Agreed. The only way you could describe that in game terms would be drawing the explosion card on the first shot...

Agreed. The only way you could describe that in game terms would be drawing the explosion card on the first shot...
    Good point. This situation is the very definition of a critical hit.

Thanks for the chapter and verse on these kills Chuck.
    We now have something quotable if anyone asks.
    Rob.

Here is something you all might find interesting, on page 28 of the book titled The Lafayette Escadrille it states:

"The underpowered Nieuport 11 could barely carry a single drum-fed Lewis machinegun. The drum only held 47 rounds, which a pilot could empty in just nine seconds if the gun did not jam."

Andrea Angiolino stated on BoardGameGeek that a turn (3 phases) is 4 to 6 seconds which would mean it would take 4.5 to 7 phases to empty a Lewis in games terms.

Probably why we keep coming across these statements of Aces firing bursts of nine bullets Chuck.
    I wonder what a rack full of rockets was like to handle.
    However, you can read two meanings into the statement here. Either the plane could only carry a single drum, fed Lewis, or a single, drum fed Lewis, with no mention of how many spare drums could be toted. If only one drum was on board, there would be no point in developing a method of re loading the gun in flight, or would there?
    Rob.

LOOP

Isn't that just why the boom-card is in the damagedecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Probably why we keep coming across these statements of Aces firing bursts of nine bullets Chuck.
    I wonder what a rack full of rockets was like to handle.
    However, you can read two meanings into the statement here. Either the plane could only carry a single drum, fed Lewis, or a single, drum fed Lewis, with no mention of how many spare drums could be toted. If only one drum was on board, there would be no point in developing a method of re loading the gun in flight, or would there?
    Rob.
    I believe the N11 carried 3-4 reloads, but I'm not sure. The rockets are surprisingly lightweight. It is likely a rocket armed Nieuport had no re-load drums, but don't quote me. I haven't read anything to collaborate that.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Isn't that just why the boom-card is in the damagedecks.
    Of course...

Similar Missions

1. The best looking machine
    By Baxter in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 15:09
  2. General Colinwe machine guns
    By Boney10 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:34
  3. Lewis Machine Gun
    By Mike W in forum Hobby Room