Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second Epiphany - The Universal Diceless Solo Deck

I think he's got it! By Jove he's got it. ( With apologies to Prof Henry Higgins.)
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    And so it begins...

Attachment 153591
    This is the thing, Mike. :Happy:
    It's 12-1 not 11-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Come meet me in Lisbon and I'll share it with you.
    Over in La Linea in Spain in Sept Might just be a possibility there my friend.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

The cards concept looks fantastic Quim. mike the Graphic will do a fine job based on his demo card.
    Look forward to giving thema go in an OTT mission in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Over in La Linea in Spain in Sept Might just be a possibility there my friend.
    I would like that!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I am overwhelmed... these look fantastic! I can't wait to take them out for a spin... thank you!
    My sentiments exactly. I'm just a little curious as to what was the rationale that sparked this dislpay of brilliance....In my wildest dreams I would never thought of combining all the maneuver pages into such a succinct format.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I'm just a little curious as to what was the rationale that sparked this dislpay of brilliance....In my wildest dreams I would never thought of combining all the maneuver pages into such a succinct format.
    Thanks again. You're most kind.
    Nothing so brilliant, in fact.
    I was toying with the idea of an Universal Chart the way I've done for WW2 WoG.
    But there were too many sets of maneuvers to make it functional or readable.
    Diceless was the word in my mind.
    Then an old woman to whom I gave my seat in the bus made me a very Portuguese compliment and I joined it all.

Then an old woman to whom I gave my seat in the bus made me a very Portuguese compliment and I joined it all.
    You've captured the very moment of inspiration...

This is the thing, Mike. :Happy:
    It's 12-1 not 11-1.
    Not really. I know what you are thinking, but it isn't translating in my head. The "zone" you have indicated is from where the hand would be at 11 o'clock, to where the hand would be at 1 o'clock. The area in between is 11 to 1, not 12 to 1. This is how the Hour-Hand Reference system works. Link: Clock Position

If a plane is at 355 degrees relative to your ship (bow at 0 degrees), it is just short of 12 o'clock, or 11:55 o'clock, not 12 somewhere, or even 11 o'clock (very bad referencing).

Based on this, some of the others will change, too. E.G.: 5-7 not 6-7.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Not really. I know what you are thinking, but it isn't translating in my head. The "zone" you have indicated is from where the hand would be at 11 o'clock, to where the hand would be at 1 o'clock. The area in between is 11 to 1, not 12 to 1. This is how the Hour-Hand Reference system works. Link: Clock Position

If a plane is at 355 degrees relative to your ship (bow at 0 degrees), it is just short of 12 o'clock, or 11:55 o'clock, not 12 somewhere.

Based on this, some of the others will change, too. E.G.: 5-7 not 6-7.
    I fully agree with you, Mike.
    But we're used to use (no pun intended) Herkybird Template.
    You can see it here and the numbers are in the area and not in the line. That's why I've put the areas in that way.

I fully agree with you, Mike.
    But we're used to use (no pun intended) Herkybird Template.
    You can see it here and the numbers are in the area and not in the line. That's why I've put the areas in that way.
    Gack!
    Mike

I was getting worried there for a minute.thought I'd missed something very important.
    Rob.

I just tuned into this discussion. Nice work!
    I am really looking forward to being able to use this system.
    Perhaps it will inspire me to try a few more campaign games.

I couldn't believe when I saw this thread. WWI universal chart! Cant wait to print it! Thank you so much Joaquim, this will be extremely helpful.
    Thanks

Nick

Thanks John and Nick.
    I'm happy that you've all liked it.

Gack!
    If it helps, AA has a template for sale you can look at: http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...-template.html
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

It is going a lot slower than I thought, but it is coming together.

First page is ready for proofing. It is done in 8.5X11 format, with cards of 68mmx44mm, so if you don't have a borderless printer, this probably won't work for some. It will fit an A4, I think, without scaling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	154313
    Mike

Outstanding work Mike!

Please take whatever time you need, we appreciate your efforts and the sacrificing of your free time.

Thanks Colby,
    You haven't said hello on the Canadian Wing thread. You and a few others, actually.

That's another project that will be posted by the end of the month, is an updated Canadian Roll Call.

College classes start Monday. More of my free time is gonna disappear. All those other Christmas projects didn't get done, either (EG: Custom Cards).
    Mike

Looking forward to this, only hope I can download and understand how it works

They are getting beautiful, Mike.
    Thanks for your time and patience.

Question

I'm sorry for not being able to make them a single page chart. Too many sets of maneuvers... I did try.
    But this is a game with cards for maneuvers, cards for damage... I thought that the solo decks had the same feeling...
    I now now that I've failed you, my Emperor...

As it is very important that back and front match in each card, they should be printed in a single page and then glued together.
    Sleeving them is optional, I guess.
    'Quim! Could it not work with just the images printed on A4 paper & laminated instead of having to make up cards?

Smile

I'm sorry for not being able to make them a single page chart. Too many sets of maneuvers... I did try.
    But this is a game with cards for maneuvers, cards for damage... I thought that the solo decks had the same feeling...
    I now now that I've failed you, my Emperor...

As it is very important that back and front match in each card, they should be printed in a single page and then glued together.
    Sleeving them is optional, I guess.
    'Quim! Could it not work with just the images printed on A4 paper & laminated instead of having to make up cards?

Ahhh Probably not now that I have seen Mikes Card images.

I'm really liking what I see Mike.
    Those cards seem to be the natural culmination of Quim superb original idea.
    Thanks for putting in all the time and effort to get them done.
    Rob.

Barry, you've just answered yourself. The cards will be used as the random element.

Rob, you're too kind to me and you're right about Mike's work.

Barry, you've just answered yourself. The cards will be used as the random element.

Rob, you're too kind to me and you're right about Mike's work.
    Credit where credit's due Quim.
    Rob.

Thanks, Rob.

Mike, was it ask too much if once again we could add the Aerodrome's logo to the decks. A small one on the backside of the cards?

It is going a lot slower than I thought, but it is coming together.

First page is ready for proofing. It is done in 8.5X11 format, with cards of 68mmx44mm, so if you don't have a borderless printer, this probably won't work for some. It will fit an A4, I think, without scaling.

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	154313
    Looking sharp there Mike Well done :thumbsup;

Second page of the Orange deck ready:

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.1Pg2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	154437

Card 2-15 needs attention.
    In the bottom row, first set, I can't make out the second deck letter.
    The second set in the last row represents the same letters (F N) as the second set in the row above (L F N). I can't read, or an error?

I have added in the Aerodrome logo, using a watermark. I tried lots of different things, but this is the least cluttered option. Comments and suggestions solicited.
    Oops. Now that I have it in this form, I can see an alignment issue. But that will be fixed when I fix the deck issue, I suspect.

Note: This is taking a long time, as I am doing it mostly by eye. If I knew how to template better, this might be quicker. I am learning shortcuts and keyboard commands as I go, so it will pick up speed. Life insists on intruding, too.
    Mike

Just beautiful, Mike.
    I've just answered your PM.
    It's not E* but E+.

Thanks!

Life intrudes in... life... That's how it goes. We'll wait.

These are coming together nicely, Mike... they look great!

Out of curiosity, what are you using to format the info into cards?

This whole thing is looking fantastic!

Chris,
    I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS6. I can PDF directly from it, but I have to translate the PDF into a graphic to post it on a thread. Once the job is done, it will be in PDF format in the files section.

Any fuzziness from the upload conversion will be gone. These will be 300 ppi images, and very crisp ( I can take the PDF to 400% and it is still sharp).
    Mike

As no one else has mentioned it Mike, I like the watermark Drome Logo at the back. gives the whole deck class.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As no one else has mentioned it Mike, I like the watermark Drome Logo at the back. gives the whole deck class.
    Rob.
    Rob,
    Thanks. I am concerned about B&W printing or photocopying. The grey, no matter how faint, may obscure the sector image. Printing in color or "grey scale" shouldn't be an issue. Someone will end up testing that, though.
    Mike

This is the second draft, with corrections and logo:

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.2Pg1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	154473

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.2Pg2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	154474

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.2Pg3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	154475

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.2Pg4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	154476

Joaquim, please check the "L" deck moves to ensure I used the right short arrows. I may have missed the short turns in places, and used stalls, or vice versa.

If these are good, I'll start on the next deck.

PS: Looking at them here, they look a little sparse. The logo helps. However, they are neat and uncluttered. And there are a few small alignment issues to tweak, too. Help out, guys. More eyes.

PPS: Do we want a "Rules" card? I keep thinking we should include a card to cover how to use this. Or a sheet, with examples? Thoughts?
    Mike

Mike,

Outstanding work as always. Thank you for your time.

Yes, I think a summary on how to use the cards would be necessary. If this could fit on a card(s) would be nice but if not a sheet would be fine too.

Examples are always useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by meeplewizard View Post
    Mike,

Outstanding work as always. Thank you for your time.

Yes, I think a summary on how to use the cards would be necessary. If this could fit on a card(s) would be nice but if not a sheet would be fine too.

Examples are always useful too.
    Agreed! Great work, all involved... thank you Quim, Mike.

Not to speak out of turn, but here are the first go at a set of "rules" as described by Blackronin in post #36 of this thread:

The Decks for the Universal Diceless WW1 Solo Deck.

And now Two. The rules of how to use the decks.

The Decks are three:
    Red Deck (Deck One) with 24 cards and is the deck to use when the player's plane is closing at less than one ruler of distance.
    Orange Deck (Deck Two) with 32 cards and is the deck to use when the player's plane is closing at more than one ruler of distance.
    Green Deck (Deck Three) with 32 cards and is the deck to use when the player's plane is moving away.

These decks all work in the same way.
    Shuffle them in separate.
    Use the deck that matches the position of the player's plane in relation to the AI plane.
    The back of the cards have the name of the deck, number and the quadrant area where the player's plane is.
    You must take one card at the time until you see one with the right quadrant. Use that card.
    The topmost group of maneuvers, without any letter above it is the maneuvers to use unless the AI plane uses a deck that is detailed with the maneuver letter in the card. In that case use that set of maneuvers.
    If a player's plane is moving into another quadrant area, use that quadrant area to choose a maneuver from.
    I'm not sure about formatting, but "examples of play" is something I'm sure we can add as we go. I'd be more than willing to help with that, unless Quim already has something of this nature in the works...

Chris

Getting better and better Mike

LOOP

I've looked at your sketches and i must say that it looks impressive.

I have just one question.... (I think I allready know the answer but I will ask anyway. )

This is not for flying with altitude, is it? I mean the drones do not climb or dive? All Arrows looked black so I assumed that the drones all stay on the same altitude.
    There are a lot of stalls and straights so I guess that it would be a piece of cake to replace them for climbs or dives when suitable during gameplay.
    You just have to agree with yourself on when

The G*= No reverse? and E+=+climb and dive??

Superb both of you, just superb. You have taken the solo game to a new level and stayed within the original concept of the game.

For the idea and for the artwork both well deserved of REP.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    I've looked at your sketches and i must say that it looks impressive.

I have just one question.... (I think I allready know the answer but I will ask anyway. )

This is not for flying with altitude, is it? I mean the drones do not climb or dive? All Arrows looked black so I assumed that the drones all stay on the same altitude.
    There are a lot of stalls and straights so I guess that it would be a piece of cake to replace them for climbs or dives when suitable during gameplay.
    You just have to agree with yourself on when

The G*= No reverse? and E+=+climb and dive??
    That has it in a nutshell Per.
    I always play that a drone will use stall or straight to get up to or one level above the enemy objective aircraft if at all possible. Whichever is the most advantageous at the time.
    Rob.

Should we add an optional rule for altitude? If it is as simple as, "climb on stalls, dive on long straights"? Pretty easy.
    Mike

Should we add an optional rule for altitude? If it is as simple as, "climb on stalls, dive on long straights"? Pretty easy.
    I would say Oui

This may take two cards, as it is a bit small for one, and I don't have the altitude option on it.

However, there are House Rules for altitude, simplified and modified (EG: turning climbs and dives). So, as Rob has obviously adapted the original Solo rules to suite, we could assume you can do the same with these cards?

If the type is too small, then it will have to go to two cards, and I can add in more things, and the altitude option will fit.

Name:	UniversalSoloRulesV1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	154492

Joaquim deserves all the credit for the concept and design. And to forestall the nagging, I added my name, as well. Really, I don't think the typist should get billing with the designer.
    Mike

Sounds like a solution to me, if it is O.K. with Quim. After all it is his system.
    Rob.

Hi Mike,

Excellent design for the "information" card(s).

If I maybe so bold I do want to make one suggestion please to "improve" the readability of the card ... the text as is looks great but I think if space permits I would prefer to see the sentences in bullet or number form. It breaks it up a bit so we are not seeing one big block of text.

Thanks

Dear Mike:

Here it goes the proof reading:

Card 2-18 - column 1 row 1 DU (should be: right 90ş/short side slip left/right 90ş)
    Card 2-20 - Main maneuvers (should be: sideslip right/right/right)
    Card 2-29 - column 1 row 1 G*HK (should be: Left/side slip left/side slip left)
    Card 2-29 - column 2 row 1 QO (should be: Left/stall/side slip left)
    Card 2-30 - column 2 row 2 L (should be: Left 90ş/side slip left/right 90ş)

The rules card is a perfect idea. Thanks for the input about the rules I've already wrote, Chris.

I play altitude almost the same way Rob plays it. The drone will try to maintain the same or one degree above the player's plane its targeting.

Updates on Orange deck and Rules Card:

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.3Pg3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	154510

Name:	UniversalSoloDraftV1.3Pg4.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	154511

Name:	UniversalSoloRulesV2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	154512

Interestingly, all these images are produced at the same ppi/dpi at my end (each card should be the same size), but the size of the images is being constrained by the uploader. So, the detail in the Rules card (much bigger image as a single card) is what should be on the PDFs when they get to the files section. Then, it will be up to the printer used to reproduce the cards at a good quality.
    Mike

They look superb Mike.
    What genius thought of this idea Quim.

just for once sizing of cards won't matter to me as I will enlarge them up to a size I can read easily.
    Thanks again for all the work chaps. I realize that this is only about one third of the work so far.
    Rob.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Epiphany!!!
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 10:03
  2. Damage Deck Caddy and Solo Play Template
    By Roger Wilco in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 06:05
  3. Height Control -- Should it be a universal skill?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 14:41
  4. Solo Maneuver Chart U Deck?
    By Brambo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 03:49
  5. How to make an universal bomber base
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 03:03