Ares Games

Thread: OTT Early Doors Mission 7 - New Wings Over The Trenches.

Default OTT Early Doors Mission 7 - New Wings Over The Trenches.

It was Pip Halls turn to fly the NU 17 that day." Don’t scuff the paintwork Hall" Ron Curtis had quipped "See you in the Mess when you get back"
    She certainly looked sleek after the crates Hall had previously flown and as he soared into the pale sky he began appreciate the difference.

As he approached the new front line with its Zig Zag of trenches he saw the troops following the riverbank towards the bridge, as he passed over the outermost trench he saw the infantry pointing upwards at him. He dipped his wings,which was fortunate as a volley of shots passes under him.

" What Ho chaps ,I'm with you " Pip muttered . Looking ahead of him he saw the faint outline of another biplane on the German side of the line ,which looked to be weaving violently in the air . Eager to try out the new crate Hall pulled the stick back to gain a bit of height on his approaching foe.

Closing in on each other neither could identify their oppositions planes As they drew close the fire from the trenches slackened. It was now down to the pilots to determine who would live or die.
    Hall banked left, as Bodemar turned right leaving their noses almost touching The Germans shots went wide but Hall took his time and saw the bullets tear at the Halbs wing. Bodemar kept turning while Hall Immelled and the 2 planes passed each other, with neither able to bring their guns to bear.

With a slight height advantage Hall began a tight right turn while the Halb did the same. As Pip overflew the German trenches the infantry opened up a steady volley of fire. Smoke started to gush from the Nieuports engine spraying his goggles with a slimy film of soot and castor oil .

The Halb took a hit from the British trenches jamming its rudder (RRD) and after circling each other cautiously Hall took the initiative and turned quickly, his shots missing the Halb as it side slipped away from him. The final rounds from his drum hit home (1)

The trenches continued to maintain their steady but inaccurate fire against Hall, who fumbled to change the drum on his Lewis Bodemar playing safe was hanging over his trenches tempting Pip Hall to take the bait but seeing Hall reloading he went for the kill (1,2)

Struggling to hold the joystick between his knees Hall and Bodemar passed each other before completing a circle and facing each other again. Bodemars shots severe a rudder wire on the Nieuport (2+LRD)

with his guns re armed and the smoke stopped Pip put his plane into a Split S and dropped on to the tail of the Halb. A short burst scored a hit but a second squeeze of the trigger produced nothing (1,0GJ)

but its the trenches that take their toll on Bodermar , flames and smoke belch from his engine.

as Bodemar tries to escape the ground fire the Infantry open up again. the rudder goes slack and then a searing pain travels throughvhis right leg. (pilot, RRD)

Finding himself behind the British lines wounded, his plane alight and Hall on his tail The German turned the Halb back towards his own lines

A hail of fire from the ground skimmed past his wing . The flames were now reaching the cockpit, heat melting the crude instruments and wiring, but it was the final strafe from Pips Lewis that brought him down (3, 2+ GJ)

With his guns jammed Pip circled his lines to free his guns. He could see the second Halb flying straight and level at him,

and flushed with success and the folly of youth he turned towards the German.

Slipping left Pip allowed the Halb to fly past him at short range. The Lewis pounded the starboard side of Splitgerbers plane, splintering supporting ribs and ripping the fabric from the fuselage. (4,3) Causing him to stall.

With that one pass Splitgerbers plane was shattered, as was his moral. Fire from the trenches only added to his panic and fear. Coaxing the Halb into a turn that pointed him back to home he opened up the throttle. Hall Immelled to keep away from the German trenches hoping to catch the Halb unaware. With only 1 drum left he knew he had to make every shot count. He pulled is plane into an Immell and begins to chase Splitberger catching the slower plane as it passed close to its lines The final rounds from his drum did little damage, but jammed the gun again (0 GJ,1+RRD)

That was the last he saw of the German Eagle who made best speed across his lines and home

Turning East again Pip Hall followed the road below back to the aerodrome passing over the wreck of his first kill buried nose down in the mud.

Result

RFC

Lt Pip Hall RTB 1 kill

Eagles

Ltn Albin Bodemar SD/ET/W

Ltn Georg Splitgerber RTB

As I am a bit short on Halbs and Nu 17s I decided to play them 1 on 1 , but seeing as Pip did so well I didn't need to bring in a second Bulldog . Trench fire was vicious and accounted for most of Bodemars damage . Santa has promised me a new camera so hopefully the recon pics will be better next year,
    Last edited by flash; 12-18-2014 at 11:27. Reason: Prefix & title

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Great stuff Paul - good to have you back in the circuit - Pips first kill this time out and the Hun is in the bag !
    Those gunners had their eye in though - my goodness what punishment they meted out !

Ltn Albin Bodemar FLM/ET/W/0 kills; (FLM as he appears to have been SD when on fire)
    Rolled 6 -2FLM -1WIA = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 5 !
    E&E: Rolled 6 -1FLM, -2WIA (=1 from crash) -1BEL = 2 Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Ltn Johann Kohlbach is due to arrive as his replacement.
    Last edited by flash; 12-18-2014 at 12:04.

It being Christmas Herr Bodermar could be on the way out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8

That ground fire is brutal. We have to start flying higher!

Pip handled his Nieuport like a veteran.

He agrees , well his Mess bill does

What a thriller Paul - great AAR, and well done Pip

Ground fire has certainly been fairly brutal for many during this mission - including my lads - so I second your idea that we start flying at higher altitudes

Enthralling story line Paul.
    Just as i was breathing a sigh of relief, that second Halb turns up, and puts Pip in jeopardy again.
    what luck to be able to come through with a kill especially considering the infernal luck with jams.
    A great read.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

To the bar its Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    To the bar its Christmas.
    I'll drink to that! Have a Happy!

I hear your call Paul, and will join you in a small libation or five.
    Cheers.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Great flying by Pip! Well done Paul.

Great AAR Paul, a nice variation on the theme, and an intelligent ( and cheap) way of getting round the model shortage!

Another great AAR Paul, that trenchfire can be a real pain. Thanks for posting.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Early Doors Mission 7 July '16--"New Wings over the Trenches"
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 15:06
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 12:23
  3. AAR OTT The early years Mission 3 Pricking the sausage
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 01:26
  4. AAR OTT The early years Mission 3 Pricking the sausage