Ares Games

Thread: Planes, Traines and Santa 2014

Lightbulb Planes, Traines and Santa 2014

The annual PT&S was great success. The only down side was the three days of rain on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thanksgiving day. This waterlogged the grass runway and grounded any flights till late Saturday afternoon. Santa`s Sterman was grounded and he flew in by chopper instead. The Kids still loved it!

I ran a WW2 WOW/WOG game Friday. A friend Rich Crouch WW1 game Saturday.

Now the meat of the AAR.

I set up an attack on Midway Island. Two Wildcats and two Buffalo's were assigned to the defense. Four Vals and four Zeros composed the attack force. The game was designed to be a simple introduction game for new and non players.

The actual game was interesting a family composed of brothers , sisters, a brother in laws and one nephew played it. I was the outsider and flew a Val. We pruned the forces down to a Wildcat and a Buffalo, verses two Vals and two Zeros. They had all played Warhammer before so gaming was not new to them. You have never played a game until you have played with adult siblings!

The game was great. The green defenders had one pass on the attackers and then could not recover for a second pass. We were over the airfield and bombing while the defenders finally came back at us. The comment by one of the defenders was " Why are the Japanese over our airfield and we are over the ocean!" My bomb attack did 70% damage to the airfield and the second Val came up double 00 on it`s attack. Since the defenders were lost the Zeros strafed the target and disabled it. The final turn saw a very sad event. A Zero pilot asked to see the last maneuver card of a Wildcat pilot. He caught his own wife making an left turn using a right turn card. Her only defense was she was tired of always turning the wrong direction!
    It was a fun game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB280042.jpg   PB280007.jpg  

Thumbs up

Well done Richard.
    Great work introducing new players to WoG!

Barry

Thank you. The museum is a great place to game. We had gaming out there three times this year. The plan is to have us out next year also. Early Saturday morning i am cleaning my track for the days operation. One of the modules had two Corsairs , two Hellcats and a couple of Zero`s on Litko bases seemingly flying over the layout. A woman and 7 year old boy walk up and say good morning. Most boys his age would be fascinated by the trains. Not him, he proceeds to tell his mother exactly what planes i had on display. Plus if the museum had any! I told him very good, i told her i could not have correctly identified them at his age. My layout was under the wing of the PBY. He started telling his mother all about the PBY. His mother said they were frequent visitors to the museum, he loved planes and their history! Later they came back and watched the WW1 game Rich Crouch was running. It makes me feel better knowing that little guy is around!

Rich

What a fantastic setting to play in. With a bit of luck you can get some of the little guys Buddies interested and Hey Presto a whole new generation of players.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Superb Rich, and what a great anecdote about the small boy.
    All fired up about the aircraft we love.
    Who knows where these seeds may lead.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I can think of no better setting to play WoG. Were you playing underneath the wing of a PBY?

Well done, Richard!

Nice little AAR, Richard.

I like the story with the shameless female pilot.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Similar Missions

1. Planes, Trains and Santa 2014
    By richard m schwab in forum US Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 19:51
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 08:50
  3. California Greetings from Santa Barbara
    By surfimp in forum US Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 12:08