Ares Games

Thread: Early Doors Mission 7 July '16--"New Wings over the Trenches"

Default Early Doors Mission 7 July '16--"New Wings over the Trenches"

Mid July, the aerodrome was abuzz as new design planes were reaching the front. Two Halberstadt DIIs were arriving in Namur for the squadron and everyone was wanting to be the first to try them out. Hartwig was hounded with requests all day. Rolf claimed to have seen similar planes while on leave so he should get to fly. Arnold Neumann said he deserved to fly a single seater while Reinhardt Richter suggested a pilot with more experience like himself should bring one home.
    Orders from above told Obltn Hartwig Alder that he and his best pilot were to have the first sortie for evaluation. Alder and his chosen man were to go to Namur in the morning.
    Alder didn’t get to choose his man. The orders stated Ltn Büttner would be the other pilot at the request of KvL. “Ah, something is up”, thought Hartwig.

When Alder and Büttner arrived at the airfield in Namur they were greeted by Karl vonLinder.
    “Herr Büttner, in gratitude for your action in saving my airship I would like to offer you this”. He swept his left hand wide and backed out of the way so Peter could see the decorated plane in the hanger behind him.
    Hartwig slapped Peter on the back and almost knocked him over. “Ah, another orange plane for our tiger. The enemy will all soon know you”.
    Peter didn’t know what to say and stuttered out a thank you.
    “Obltn Alder, you too deserve something more than the factory finish from what I hear. This one is for you”.
    “Vielen dank Kapitanleutnant, it will be an honor to fly this beautiful craft”.

vonLinder had to leave for a meeting but told Büttner he would be contacting him. A friend of his was an engineer in the aircraft industry and he would be eager to hear about their plane’s performances.

Hartwig gave Peter the details of the day’s flight. They would get the feel of their new planes for an hour or two, refuel, arm their weapons and have a pass at to the front before returning to the aerodrome. If they got into a little tussle, what could be a better way to test the new planes?

After their exercise they were both feeling confident with their new planes. “So much more agile than the Eindekers, how did we even fly and fight with them”? thought Peter.
    Off they went and before they knew it the front came into view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	152878

Heading east 2Lts Frank Barlow and William Tuffield were putting their new Nieuport 17s through some tests of their own.
    “A noticeable improvement on the 11s, I could actually like this French plane”, thought Tuffy.

Name:	7-1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	152879

Frank waggled his wings to get Tuffy’s attention. He pointed at two spots ahead just behind the lines and motioned to have at them.
    At the same time Hartwig and Peter saw the same thing.

As they neared the trenches both lines opened up, straight up at their own planes! Hartwig cursed, “Damn infantry don’t even know who we are”!
    Tuffy screamed at the troops below even though he knew they could not hear him. His new plane was hit in the engine and started to smoke.

Name:	7-3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	152880

Name:	7-6.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	152881

Hartwig’s plane was hit and smoke sputtered from the engine as oil sprayed along the fuselage. “Better get over the British trenches quick, I’d rather be shot down by them than by my own countrymen”, mumbled Hartwig.

Name:	7-4.jpg 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	152882

Name:	7-5.jpg 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	152883

Soon they were in range of their foes and lead flew across the sky. The troops on the ground stopped firing as they didn’t know who to shoot at.
    Peter took great aim but his small target didn’t seem bothered while his plane was ripped by Barlow’s Lewis.
    Hartwig was not noticeably hit but his smoke turned into a burst of flame. He didn’t see if he hit his mark.

Name:	7-7.jpg 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	152884

Name:	7-8.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	152885

With their planes smoking and burning Tuffy and Hartwig lost sight of each other and nearly collided.

Name:	7-11.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	152886

Name:	7-10.jpg 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	152887

Name:	7-9.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	152888

The troops on the ground were cheering on their pilots even though they didn’t recognize who their own were.

Frank Immeled and caught the German by surprise. Peter felt a sting in his right leg.

Name:	7-14.jpg 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	152889

With no idea where the other was, Tuffy and Hartwig tap each other’s wings in a ball of smoke and fire.

Name:	7-12.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	152890

Name:	7-13.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	152891

Tuffy broke back towards his lines to try to clear his smoke while Hartwig did the same with his fire.
    Peter let his plane make a long gentle turn while he tied his scarf around his leg.
    Hartwig’s fire kept eating away at his plane while more ground fire set Frank on fire!

Name:	7-15.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	152892

Name:	7-16.jpg 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	152893

Name:	7-17.jpg 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	152894

Name:	7-18.jpg 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	152895

While turning to keep the flames away Frank and Hartwig met and exchanged telling blows. Frank’s engine responded badly to the fire.

Name:	7-19.jpg 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	152896

Name:	7-20.jpg 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	152897

As Hartwig dealt with a fire and jammed guns Tuffy returned to the attack once his engine stopped smoking. Trying to sneak around a cloud, Tuffy found Hartwig a bit busy but missed his mark. Hartwig never saw Tuffy but heard his bullets zipping by all around him.
    Peter took aim at Frank and did little damage but added to the flame’s fuel by hitting an oil line.

Name:	7-21.jpg 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	152898

Name:	7-22.jpg 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	152899

Name:	7-23.jpg 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	152900

Name:	7-24.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	152901

Hartwig, with more than enough trouble, heads for a cloud to lose the Englishman.
    Peter used his new plane’s agility to line up a close clean shot but the pain in his leg distracted him from taking it. Frank notices his dilemma thinking he was done for but the tiger isn’t firing? He slips under his hunter and avoids being a target.
    “Crap, I remember Tuffy saying that this orange plane comes right up on you and doesn’t fire. Is he stupid or so good he likes to toy with us”?

Name:	7-25.jpg 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	152902

Name:	7-26.jpg 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	152903

With his engine sputtering and on fire Frank makes for home.
    Hartwig also heads for home as the fire is relentlessly eating away his plane.
    Tuffy spots him exit the cloud and makes for him but just can’t quite catch him.
    Peter sees Hartwig’s situation and turns in to help leaving the burning Englander to his fire.

Name:	7-27.jpg 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	152904

Name:	7-28.jpg 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	152905

Name:	7-29.jpg 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	152906

Name:	7-30.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	152907

Name:	7-31.jpg 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	152908

Name:	7-32.jpg 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	152909
    (ground fire was a 2/no special damage on Büttner, forgot to place the card)

Peter uses a cloud to sneak up on Tuffy as he had done to Hartwig. He takes an aimed shot but misses, alerting Tuffy to his predicament.
    Frank praying his fire goes out before its too late.

Name:	7-33.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	152910

Name:	7-34.jpg 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	152911

Name:	7-36.jpg 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	152912

Tuffy and Peter eye each other thinking quickly how to get the advantage on each other.
    Peter acts first and Immels but again the pain causes him not to be able to fire.

Name:	7-37.jpg 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	152913

Name:	7-38.jpg 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	152914

Tuffy figures he will lure the tiger in and spring his move...too slow!
    Peter follows Tuffy for a few seconds regaining composure and makes his move and rips into the Nieuport.

Name:	7-39.jpg 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	152915

Name:	7-40.jpg 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	152916

The tiger tries to pounce but Tuffy’s Immel brings bot fliers to arms length.

Name:	7-41.jpg 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	152917

As they both turn towards each other, eyeing each other carefully, both pull away.

Name:	7-42.jpg 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	152918

Name:	7-43.jpg 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	152919

Both Immel with the same plan of attack. Tuffy gets the better angle but Peter avoids Tuffu’s guns by a wisker.

Name:	7-44.jpg 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	152920

Name:	7-45.jpg 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	152921

As they once again pass closely Tuffy again wonders about the untaken shots.
    Peter salutes his foe and heads for home. The Englander has flown well and Peter’s wound is hampering him more than he had hoped, so time to head home while his new plane is still in good shape...

Name:	7-46.jpg 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	152922

Just as Peter reached friendly lines one last British marksman fires from the trenches.

Name:	7-47.jpg 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	152923

Catastrophe! The fuel tank is hit and explodes tearing the plane apart. Peter spirals down into the German trenches....
    Tuffy hears the shouts and cheers from the British trench line. Looking back over his shoulder he sees his nemesis falling down. Mixed feelings fill his heart. Not an honorable way to go.... but better him than me! Time to head back and see how Barlow fared.

Name:	7-48.jpg 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	152924

Butcher’s Bill

Obltn Hartwig Alder RTB

Name:	7-49.jpg 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	152925

2Lt Frank Barlow RTB

Name:	7-51.jpg 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	152926

2Lt William Tuffield RTB

Name:	7-50.jpg 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	152927

Ltn Peter Büttner SD EXP WIA NML

Name:	7-52.jpg 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	152928

Ok Dave, I’ll let you roll this one for Herr Büttner! Will Büttner be the first ace to die in the campaign?

On the Butcher's Bill I put the ground fire upside down to tell it easier from all other damage cards.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-20-2015 at 15:04.

Wow what a set to Peter. Great AAR and even better photos. Did you go round the neighbourhood snapping the aerials off old cars for the planes pegs

Hope your Ace makes it fingers crossed.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

What a great set too!
    Exceptionally superb AAR Peter. That had everything, Smoke, Fire, Wounds, Explosions & Close Escapes!
    Worthy of much Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Wow what a set to Peter. Great AAR and even better photos. Did you go round the neighbourhood snapping the aerials off old cars for the planes pegs

Hope your Ace makes it fingers crossed.
    My flight stands are extending magnet tools. They have a magnet on the end making it perfect for this. Our chain store, Sears, used to have them for $1 in the cheap bin. After they sold out they came back with their 'Craftsman' brand name on them and now they are $5. Glad I got a dozen the first time around.

Impressive from start to finish Peter.
    I just love that Tiger stripe Halb. Makes a real statement on the table.
    I hope Buttner makes it even if just to see his wonderful colour scheme again.
    Those AA marksmen have done us all a lot of damage this time around. I hate AA.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What a nail-biter Peter - great AAR. Keeping my fingers crossed for Büttner - it would be a sad way for such a promising ace to meet his end.

Would give you rep if I could - still need to spread it around apparently

Well, that was a proper shindig ! Roll for Büttner eh ? Such pressure !! Well if you're gonna go maybe going undefeated in the air is the way to do it...

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Büttner rolled......

BOX CARS !

Ltn Peter Büttner: Rolled 12 -3 EXP -1 WIA -1 NML (even if in amongst his trenches) = 7 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario - Lucky dog !

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Impressive from start to finish Peter.
    I just love that Tiger stripe Halb. Makes a real statement on the table.
    I hope Buttner makes it even if just to see his wonderful colour scheme again.
    Those AA marksmen have done us all a lot of damage this time around. I hate AA.
    Rob.
    Well Rob, we won't see this Halberstadt again if Büttner lives, nothing left to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well, that was a proper shindig ! Roll for Büttner eh ? Such pressure !! Well if you're gonna go maybe going undefeated in the air is the way to do it...

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Büttner rolled......

BOX CARS !

Ltn Peter Büttner: Rolled 12 -3 EXP -1 WIA -1 NML (even if in amongst his trenches) = 7 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario - Lucky dog !
    WHEW!!!! Thanks for rolling Dave. I couldn't roll it myself. If it was another plane out gunning me maybe, but not from mudsloggers.
    Since he made it we'll have to see how much influence or deep pockets vonLinder has for a new tiger.
    Shouldn't there have been a +2 for being an ace?

Thanks guys. When on fire and you get hit with smoke damage, what do you do? I treat it as resetting the fire markers back to three.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks guys. When on fire and you get hit with smoke damage, what do you do? I treat it as resetting the fire markers back to three.
    I agree.

The RAP rules state that a plane on fire is also considered to be smoking, and receipt of smoke damage while already smoking results in three turns of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I agree.

The RAP rules state that a plane on fire is also considered to be smoking, and receipt of smoke damage while already smoking results in three turns of fire.
    My interpertation exactly.

Shouldn't there have been a +2 for being an ace?
    I do believe there should

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I do believe there should
    Depends on what skill you gave him.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Depends on what skill you gave him.
    Modifiers to dice roll:
    Ace: +2 ---------------------------------Your pilots skill helps his landing
    Exploded: -3 -----------------------------Boom card drawn for any reason - overrides flamer/collision
    Flamer: -2 -------------------------------Downed by fire or downed whilst burning
    Collision: -2 ------------------------------Downed due to Collision
    Shot Down -1 ----------------------------Just shot to bits!
    Wounded: -1 per wound ------------------Receive 2 wounds & you're shot down
    Landed safely in Aerodrome: +3 -----------Made it !
    Crash landed in No Mans Land or Sea -1 ---Not the safest or smoothest place to land
    No mention on what Ace ability is needed... just the fact he is an Ace gets the +2

If this is what I think it means then Büttner won't have to miss a mission.

Dave, I keep forgetting to get you my new observer. Ernst Schmidt drew the short straw.

...Shouldn't there have been a +2 for being an ace?
    DOH !! Of course - in which case he's OK on a nine - he is a lucky dog !!

I don't if it's smoke, I do if it's fire.
    I'm not sure that is the intent but rather the application of any restrictions smoking brings.
    If you're 'smoking' as well do you leave a smoke marker on after you removed the last flame marker ?Smoke markers are removed at the end of the turn, flame markers at the beginning, so you're still vulnerable if you pull a second smoke marker that turn !

Very true Dave, a problem I have encountered recently

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I'm not sure that is the intent but rather the application of any restrictions smoking brings.
    If you're 'smoking' as well do you leave a smoke marker on after you removed the last flame marker ?Smoke markers are removed at the end of the turn, flame markers at the beginning, so you're still vulnerable if you pull a second smoke marker that turn !
    Tim mentioned and supported what I read into the rules. The rules do say you are considered to also be smoking when on fire, so as with just smoking, a second smoke turns into fire. Resetting the fire markers to three seems to follow the rule.

Yes, I would extinguish the fire at the start of the third turn, but continue smoking until the end of that turn (think of the visible flames being snuffed out, but residual smoke issuing a little longer).
    You are correct in saying that you are vulnerable to a second smoke damage card until the smoke is removed at the end of the turn - GOOD! This should encourage burning planes to deviate away from a dogfight until the flames and smoke are gone, instead of continuing to mix it up whilst highly vulnerable to further, potentially fatal, but wholly avoidable damage.

Tim mentioned and supported what I read into the rules. The rules do say you are considered to also be smoking when on fire, so as with just smoking, a second smoke turns into fire. Resetting the fire markers to three seems to follow the rule.
    Easy tiger ! You asked what we did, not what interpretation we support !
    Last edited by flash; 12-18-2014 at 06:45.

LOOP

That orange Halberstadt is a beuty!!

Easy tiger ! You asked what we did, not what interpretation we support !
    I sit corrected!

I didn't mean to come across as looking for support on how I interpreted the rules. I thought Tim did what I did. Not sure now if that is so now. Anyway, looks like I am a bit tougher on my planes with smoke and fire.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    That orange Halberstadt is a beuty!!
    Thanks Per. Unfortunately one sortie and it is out of the campaign, boom!

LOOP

But perhaps they saved some paint at the base and could paint another......

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    But perhaps they saved some paint at the base and could paint another......
    I do hope so.
    Rob.

I sit corrected!

I didn't mean to come across as looking for support on how I interpreted the rules. I thought Tim did what I did. Not sure now if that is so now. Anyway, looks like I am a bit tougher on my planes with smoke and fire.
    It is how it reads so not an unreasonable conclusion to come to - I have enough problem remembering no straights and two smokes make a fire if I'm honest ! - I'm just not sure that was the intent. I'll ask Andrea for clarification.

"He is wise who watches"

It is how it reads so not an unreasonable conclusion to come to - I have enough problem remembering no straights and two smokes make a fire if I'm honest ! - I'm just not sure that was the intent. I'll ask Andrea for clarification.
    It will be interesting (and clarifying) to hear what Andrea says on this.

It will be interesting (and clarifying) to hear what Andrea says on this.
    Keep me posted please. I have a vested interest in this discussion.
    Kyte.

Another shock ending, all be it a good final result for Buttner.
    a really great AAR and deserving of all the REP you get

A great AAR Peter, your photos really give it atmospher.

Thanks Trev. Tough ending but Büttner dodged a catastrosphe, for now anyway!

Similar Missions

1. BRF Early doors Mission 5 "The bigger they come.........." May 2nd/3rd 1916.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 16:31
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 10:25
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 10:00
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 09:29
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 12:23