Ares Games

Thread: First buy from Shapeways. Some help please

LOOP

Default First buy from Shapeways. Some help please

I'm aboute to get my first Shapeways model and I want some piece of advice.

There are so many options to choose from different materials and so on.
    Is the "White strong and flexible" the material that everyone buys?
    Are there any specific modeler that are better? All planes look great in the pics.

If there are any other thing to think aboute, I'm greatful for a push in the right direction.

P-G

Have a look at the sticky above Per - there are comparisons of the different materials - personally I've only ever got WSF & been quite happy with it.

LOOP

How could I miss that one!!!

Thought I looked everywhere here under "Shapeways models" but I missed the one right in front of me.

Thanks Dave. Good to know that someone has a keen eye

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I am working on my first two Shapeways planes now, P-G. One of them is the FUD version (more expensive) and the second is WSF-P (mid-range cost). They are both painting up nicely, with the WSF-P being a bit more "gritty" in its finish. There is a lot of discussion on the Forum concerning how to prepare the model so that the grainy finish disappears - all I used was a spray can grey primer, and while the WSF-P model still shows a little "grit", I am not disappointed with it. I figured with this first batch of Shapeways models, I'd do a little experimenting to see what I'll need to do with future planes.

Enjoy your Shapeways models - there are so many cool planes to choose from on their website!

All the best,
    Matt

LOOP

How many rejects slipp through the qualitycontrol? Is it 1 of 10?, 1 of 50?, 1 of 100?

LOOP

I don't really know why i'm being so cautious
    It's not that much money involved.

Must be firsttime-anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post

It's perfectly understandable - you don't want to be disappointed and end up throwing money away. I spent ages before ordering from Shapeways for just these reasons and only ordered one plane. Quality control seems to be very occasionally erratic but several folks have pointed out they will rectify mistakes. Incidentally the one plane I ordered arrived promptly and I was surprised by how good the quality was despite it only being basic WSF. I was, also, pleased to find I could very lightly and very carefully file it with a very fine file. In conclusion, in my very limited experience (for what little its worth) I recommend them and plan to buy more. When I ordered, I included in the order flight peg stubs to glue on the base of planes and I found these to be excellent and also recommend them - the fit is perfect.

LOOP

Thanks for the tap on the shoulder
    Think I needed it

It's understandable. I feel the exact same way every time I get a shipment of Shapeways planes. As for the error rate, it is hard to say. I've had whole shipments go bust, and I've had all be perfect, too. These days I expect at least one in every batch to have something wrong with it (the most annoying are the planes damaged by their use of undersized ziplock bags).

I know that doesn't help, but the plus side is that they've always made amends.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I know that doesn't help, but the plus side is that they've always made amends.
    That's comforting....

LOOP

I think I'll give it a try. My heart is aching for a Dolphin.

I was thinking exactly the same. The Dolphin is an impressive looking plane. There's one in the RAF Hendon museum and when he saw it my husband said that's unusual - it would be worth trying that one out in the game.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...h-dolphin-5fi/

If you're planning to have lewis guns pointing upwards at a 45 degree angle there's a very nice set of lewis guns you can buy from shapeways.

I know what you mean. The Dolphin has been one of my favorites ever since I was a little kid, which I guess is one of the reasons why I wanted to do the best I could possibly do with my Shapeways' versions. It's such a favorite I made, what... four or five different models: a standard two gun version, a version with an upward Lewis, a version with two upward Lewises, a version with the outboard wing guns, and a version with the radiators open (or closed, I forget which I used for the standard).

And as tribute, I have even placed one on Gillet's tomb.

LOOP

I don't know which I'll choose but I'm leaning at one with 2 vickers and one with a (or two) lewis
    I must have options when playing

Was a long time deciding too but once I took the plunge I know have around 15 shapeways and happy with everyone. The one I did get missing a propeller was dealt with swiftly.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I've got hundreds and can't recommend them enough. Customer service is really good if anything does go wrong. You won't regret it if you take the plunge.

Ian

I've only ordered once, and all of the 65 planes were of great quality; unfortunately, two were entirely the wrong model!
    A couple of emails later, the two correct planes were printed and sent to me for free!
    I would happily order from Shapeways again, but I must paint at least half of these ones first!

LOOP

Did you order 65 ACs the first time! That was courageous in deed!
    Well I will settle with 3 or 4.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wild West46.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	153254

Now they are staring at me, demanding my attention.............................

3 or 4 would have been a much better plan.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Now they are staring at me, demanding my attention.............................
    Well you know what to do if you get a moment over
    Last edited by LOOP; 12-18-2014 at 06:42.

Thumbs up

I don't know which I'll choose but I'm leaning at one with 2 vickers and one with a (or two) lewis
    I must have options when playing
    G'day Per!

Mate most Dolphins in Service only used the two fuselage mounted Vickers & a few added one Lewis. Very few had the two Lewis.
    The Dolphin uses the same deck as the SE 5a.

Here is a pic of my Shapeways Dolphin & I have since added one of John's Lewis guns. His models with the Lewis guns were not available when I got mine.

Good Luck & I bet you wont be disappointed!

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Shapeways Dolphin a.jpg  Views: 196  Size: 259.0 KB  ID: 153266" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Mate most Dolphins in Service only used the two fuselage mounted Vickers & a few added one Lewis. Very few had the two Lewis.
    The Dolphin uses the same deck as the SE 5a.
    I know that very few used two lewis. but I don't knowm if there are any Dolphins with only one at Shapeways.

What quality is the one in your pic?

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Zee View Post
    When I ordered, I included in the order flight peg stubs to glue on the base of planes and I found these to be excellent and also recommend them - the fit is perfect.
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/XUW...tionId=1081186

Is it these stubs you mean Nicola?

No - definitely not. The link for the short pegs is as follows:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/6QB...hort-posts-x20

The shapeway plane I bought had a short stub already built in - but the fit of these short posts is so good I cut off the one built in and glued one of these on instead.

Also recommended are the lewis guns
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/SL6...4th-lewis-guns

I hope this helps.

LOOP

Oh that was a different story
    Thanks for the quite answer

The shapeway plane I bought had a short stub already built in - but the fit of these short posts is so good I cut off the one built in and glued one of these on instead.
    Thanks! Glad to hear you liked them!

Thanks! Glad to hear you liked them!

LOOP

So first order placed! 2 Dolphins and a pup... and some of those short posts.
    delivery due to end of next week.

The dice is thrown

Awesome. And thanks!
    Did you take advantage of the 15% discount?

LOOP

Nope!! Must have missed that

I just got an email from Shapeways about the 15% off. I wasn't planning on any purchases but now I may have to rethink this.

Nope!! Must have missed that
    It might not be too late to cancel and resubmit a new order.

LOOP

Hoping to get delivery tomorrow or on wednesday.
    But now there is the next problem.... Ac-cards and decals.
    I know there is a bunch of cards here on the drome and they are just outstanding.
    I will contact the different artist Before i download anything so it's ok with them if I use their work. I hope that no one will mind me doing so

Decals is Another matter. I have looked on ebay and at Dom's but it is a djungel choosing..
    I will just have to do some "trail and error"

Hi Per-Gunnar,

I've got some spare decals if you want some? Would the letters below be suitable? I have them in white for the top wing and black for the underside. I also have loads of roundels spare.

Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Ian

LOOP

Things are starting to come together. Guntruck have provided me with cards for the Pup and Womble have set me up with some decals.
    Now I am searching for some colourscheme for the two Dolphins. Found some nice ones on the net and a card to go with one of those.
    But I wonder if anyone here have some cards for Dolphins I can copy and use?
    I have looked at many profiles and there are some awesome cards but none for Dolphins.
    That is the only thing missing beside the acual airplanes

P-G

Here is one of Max's cards if it is any use.

Name:	SopDolphFry.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	160552

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That is the only thing missing beside the acual airplanes
    When you get them look them over and make sure they are acceptable, with no stepping or broken parts.

LOOP

Absolutly!!
    it has the AB damage that I have on one of my Dolphins

I may not use that particular colourscheme for my mini but as long I have a card with the correct stats, I'm happy

Thank you very much

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    When you get them look them over and make sure they are acceptable, with no stepping or broken parts.
    I will. Thanks for the tip

LOOP

I got my planes yesterday and they all looked just fine.
    Now I will start the process of painting them.
    Is there anythinfg that I should think of? I planed to use my old humbrol colours and my old "airfix" glue.

I am looking for some 144 scale roundels British and French is there some place in the USA you can get them or where else.
    thanks for any help I need these for my shape ways I bought.

First you need to seal the aircraft.
    Not sure what material , but if WSF there are a number of methods.
    I personally cover the model with three or four coats of acrylic Matt varnish, then undercoating with white.
    Paints
    I use Revell, GW or such acrylics all are good.
    Glue, be careful using Airfix or GW polystyrene glue as it can melt the material a bit. I use superglue gel as it is not instant stick.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    I am looking for some 144 scale roundels British and French is there some place in the USA you can get them or where else.
    thanks for any help I need these for my shape ways I bought.
    1/144 Direct on ebay - Matt, the designer, is a forum member. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109514781...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Dom's Decals - Dom S. is also a forum member http://www.domsdecals.com/shop/artic...%3D144-GB-1%26
    Shed Decals - roundels are composite (white circle applied first, then colour cockade on top) http://www.helmet-aircraft-200.co.uk...d-Combo-Decals

For Decals in the US try Reviresco, but I'm pretty sure 1/144 Direct mails to the states and Matts decals are highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    For Decals in the US try Reviresco, but I'm pretty sure 1/144 Direct mails to the states and Matts decals are highly recommended
    Some of my US friends have purchased decal sheets from Matt - all have been highly impressed with both the quality and the customer service.

LOOP

First you need to seal the aircraft.
    Not sure what material , but if WSF there are a number of methods.
    I personally cover the model with three or four coats of acrylic Matt varnish, then undercoating with white.
    Paints
    I use Revell, GW or such acrylics all are good.
    Glue, be careful using Airfix or GW polystyrene glue as it can melt the material a bit. I use superglue gel as it is not instant stick.
    Good luck
    I have ordered WSF
    I was considering waterbased colours at first but if my old humbrols work it would be good as I have a buckload of them.
    The only thing I will glue is the short post to fix the model on to the altitudepegs.
    I thought I would drill a little deeperning (is that the right word? ) and then glue the post to the fuselage.
    Superglue it is!!

3 coats of watered down pva glue works for me as a sealer. Let each coat dry and bobs your uncle, fantastic surface to paint on and they only look grainy with digital photo's.

For the peg I cut down an ordinary mounting peg but leave a sliver of the large bit attached, this then gives a broader base when glued to the model.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

For the peg, I dril into the fuselage and then push in a 3 mm plastic rod, then cut off the amount needed, this fits the standard flight pegs as though it was an official aircraft

LOOP

For the peg, I dril into the fuselage and then push in a 3 mm plastic rod, then cut off the amount needed, this fits the standard flight pegs as though it was an official aircraft
    I bought the "short posts" that jbmacek have made. Nicola recomended them.
    Haven't tried them for size yet but they look good.

For Decals in the US try Reviresco.
    Be aware that they are not printed with white, so you will have to make sure you paint your plane white.

Similar Missions

1. WSF my first Shapeways, Uff Da!
    By Lloydthegamer in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 12:15
  2. General Shapeways Down
    By jbmacek in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 04:42
  3. My Shapeways
    By Linz in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13