Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways WSF Quality Question

cubsfan4life

Default Shapeways WSF Quality Question

Hello,
    I am new to the forums and to Shapeways models, quite excited about painting some of these and adding them to game play!! I just received my first batch and have to say am a bit disappointed with the quality, particularly how the Lewis guns really didnt turn out, and the odd patterns all over the aircraft. I am attaching some pictures and wondering if some veterans can provide some input - is this what should be expected of the quality for these models? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	152866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5143.jpg 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	152867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapeways_dolphin.jpg 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	152868

Hi Andrew. I have been getting Shapeways for almost a year now. Most are fine but I do get an occasional reject. Contact them. They will ask for photos. I sent photos of the same (and worse) surface texture you have. They gave me credit and I re-ordered. So far they have been very good replacing bad models.
    My 2nd orders seem to be ok. I have some re-orders on the way now, fingers crossed. (the Dolphins I got are fine so they can do it)

Those look pretty bad........................... I've never had any come that bad actualy!

This is why I always go for the FUD models.

First of all let me welcome you to the Drome from the U.K. pilots Andrew.
    all the Shapeways models bar one that I have had have been fine.
    You should have no trouble getting those changed. It must have been the lad on work experience who aligned the printer to do those.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi from Alberta. I have had a few that looked that way and replacements are on the way. I wonder if they should inspect before shipping

I have only ordered once, and the quality was fine (one pair of planes was completely the wrong aircraft, but when I sent photos Shapeways replaced them with the correct model for free).
    Send them photos of your planes - they will sort it out for you.

Andrew, welcome. And those should be replaced. Have a look through the Shapeways threads and you will find several discussions on the topic of quailty, or lack of. With the WSF material you should expect a grainy finish (again threads on how to smooth a surface down abound), but the crochet effect on the surface is unacceptable. As said by Teaticket, send an email to SW with pics.

The FUD material is more expensive but eliminates the pebbledash effect as well as most of the layering in the printing. Then all you have to worry about is some clown squeezing it into a too-small plastic bag and breaking the struts before sending it out .
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

First, thanks for ordering. I recognize that design, and I'm pretty happy with the end results.
    Second, those are rejects. (I have one of those, and it came out perfectly fine. I'd show a pic, but I don't have one handy.)
    So, I'll echo what everyone else has said. Contact Shapeways, and let them know! Sometimes real stinkers slip through their QC process, and they have always been good about printing replacements.

I ordered three WWII aircraft in 1:100 scale and WSF. The surface had that fine sandy finish, but the layering was hard to discern. Once I washed and painted the models they looked pretty decent. I would not have been happy in the layering or scalloping had been as obvious as on yours.

cubsfan4life

Thank you all for your informative responses, they are very helpful! I will be sure to contact shapeways with pictures and post updates here. John/jmbacek I really like your Dolphin and hope they can send me a better representation of your design!! Next step for me is to research through this thread on how to paint them. I think I have found plenty on how to clean them up, but I haven't painted models since I was a kid, so this will be a new venture for me. Thanxs again everyone!

Similar Missions

1. General Shapeways Rookie Question
    By Scott in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 09:05
  2. Shapeways Question
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 12:29
  3. General Shapeways Quality
    By Mike W in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 94