Ares Games

Thread: How do yo mount the clear prop disks?

pmacko

Default How do yo mount the clear prop disks?

HI Everyone,

Just received my first models and prop disks from Keith. Can anyone supply a quick review of how to mount the disks? Also, how do you account for the spinner on the Albatros DV? Thanks in advance

I have only mounted one prop disc so far, but it was an Albatros DVa

The blades had been broken off, so I cut off the spinner, and filled the blade holes with a tiny dab of filler.
    When this had dried, I filed it to a round dome.

Owing to the thickness of the prop disc, I filed both the flat nose of the aircraft and the flat back of the spinner, so that the completed assembly would not have an elongated nose.
    Both the disc and the spinner were then secured in place by a drop of superglue gel.

pmacko

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have only mounted one prop disc so far, but it was an Albatros DVa

The blades had been broken off, so I cut off the spinner, and filled the blade holes with a tiny dab of filler.
    When this had dried, I filed it to a round dome.

Owing to the thickness of the prop disc, I filed both the flat nose of the aircraft and the flat back of the spinner, so that the completed assembly would not have an elongated nose.
    Both the disc and the spinner were then secured in place by a drop of superglue gel.

Thanks Tim, that makes sense. Now that I take a look at the Albatros, I can see that would work great. Still unclear as to how to mount other planes. The website seemed to mention use of a needle as the hub. Is this what everyone is doing?

Paul,
    Not exactly pertinent to your problem, but I mounted disks on my paper planes.

Both the Fokker Dr.1 and the Camels were done with pins:

Name:  2ndProjFokDR1_F20120902-Complete2propCmprsd.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  3rdProjCamel_B20130210-Dihedral_Comp.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  141.8 KB

My Albatros D.Va was done by gluing the spinner to the disk, and then the disk to the fuselage:

Name:  5thProjAlbDV_S20130215-Eng1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  203.2 KB

For the complete builds of these, if you're interested, check the Paper Model section. There are other, better, builders there. They may have ideas for your other planes as well.

Oh! Use a pin vice drill to match the size of the pin shaft to a very fine drill bit, and ensure you have a good fit for the pin (in the hole on the engine) before attempting to assemble the disk and pin. I used different lengths of pin, depending on the paper models to ensure I went through at least two formers or parts to give the pin stability, you shouldn't have to worry about that with a solid model. I cut the pin to length, and used a metal file to take the burs off the cut end of the pin, before fitting the pin to the disk.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

pmacko

Mike, those paper models are beautiful!

pmacko

Got them all mounted today, Thanks Tim and Mike. They really are a big improvement. Used straight pins cut down to a very small size and drilled out the center hub

I also used clear plastic prop disks on some paper models.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post94774

Similar Missions

1. WGF Fantasy Flight Games CLEAR OUT!
    By HTRAINo in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 13:06
  2. New bases clear or white?
    By P-51D in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 18:09
  3. Clear to me
    By flash in forum Hobby Room