Ares Games

Thread: BOB Scenario 3 - Simply a Dogfight - Part 2 - Blackronin

Default BOB Scenario 3 - Simply a Dogfight - Part 2 - Blackronin

This mission is a A BOB Generic Scenario - Fighter's Attrition Strategy Mission and it's not a solo one.

Reason? Inęs wanted to play with the Germans in a mission in the Fire in the Skies Campaign. So I've changed things a little bit. To maintain it balanced Inęs had 3 Veteran Me-109's and I played with Joachim Lisbon (Ace) and PO Barry Moruya (Standard pilot).

We used all WoG rules except altitude. I took photos of my planes damage and Inęs took the photos of hers.

The green pilot marks means the damage denied by the Evasion ability. Inęs did use them wisely.

By now Inęs a little bit more cautious and questioning the ability of Aces to fire during a reverse maneuver... I wonder why

So let's continue, shall we?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 2, 1940

As I studied the moving of both enemy fighters I could clearly see who was the most dangerous and who was the lucky one. I decided to maintain distance with the dangerous one and try to cut clean the luck out of the other one-oh-nine."

I was certain we'd had this British pilot. The other - the ace fallen - this one would be easier. "We'll get this Englishman, Reinhart." I said to inspire my wingman.

The Englishman turned softly left, studying us. We would surprise him.

I went for a reverse and I saw him doing the same.

Then Reinhart did the same and we were ready to face him with our superior weapons.

But how easily he avoided me and targeted Reinhart. "Achtung!" I cried out loud. This pilot was getting into my nerves.

He fired against Reinhart with careful aim, doing good damage.

We all went for another reverse, trying to gain a much needed advantage.

But the Englishman once again proved to be faster and more aware of the dogfight rhythm. The strange thought that a musician would probably be a good fighter pilot crossed my mind for a moment.

But that thought vanished as I saw the Englishman firing again against Reinhart. And what a move... So precise and so deadly...

I was now alone against this ace. And now I had no doubts I was facing one. The thought of using my superior speed to escape crossed my mind. But I was going to stay, as I owed that to my wingmen.

I faced him and a strange coolness descended upon me.

But he seemed to be always a step ahead...

His machine guns ate at my fighter.

I made a reverse maneuver to gain a much needed advantage.

But he seemed to know what I was doing as he cut left sharply.

I tried to position to stay in his rear arc.

Once again he made a perfect reverse to meet me. I wonder who was he?

Who was this dancer? This marksman?

As we revolved around each other half my mind wandered into a poem.

"There is no pain among the dead.
    No time worries the forgotten.
    Only fire can consume dry old bones."

"There is no pain among the dead.
    There are no dogs barking in the yard."

"There is no laughter of happy children.
    The attic is empty of games."

"No time worries the forgotten.
    Nothing that decay doesn't tame."

"No eyes cast a gaze so sad.
    What can grow in the dusty orchard?"

"Only fire can consume dry old bones.
    That's why the dead are humid and hidden."

"For them we're all the same...
    Meat for those that nothing can feed!"

And then I understood that I was reciting the poem aloud, half lost in my thought, my fate sealed...

I wished I could meet my nemesis, know who he was, his story.

For a moment I thought about escaping, escaping my destiny, abandon my wingmen, diving into safety.

For a moment I thought that he would do that, his hunger for victories satiated...

But as I saw him reversing in a masterful way, I knew that the clash would move to its unavoidable finale.

I had just this one chance to turn the table and make things right.

I hit him! But it wasn't enough to put him down.

He returned in kind. His hand steady.

He looked at me as I looked at him in that short moment where we were people again.

Then we both reversed. I did it well. But he was faster at pointing his plane at mine...

His machine guns silenced the engine of my fighter. Controls dead...

Would I be saved? Would I live? Would he remember me as a worthy opponent?

"I took them both, dear brother. One after the other, trying to be fast and clean. And as the second one went down, I circled and circled, waiting for the rescue launch. There were probably four men floating in the channel that only had my plane as the dot in the sky that could give them hope..."

In this Mission:

British Flight
    Sqn Ldr Kinnison Lisbon - Perfect Aim + Acrobatic Pilot + Evasion - Hawker Hurricane (Ace) (7 Kills - 2 kills in this part of the mission) RTB
    O Barry Moruya - Hawker Hurricane (Standard pilot) (1 Kill - 1 kill during the first part of this mission) SD / S

German Flight
    Hauptmann Manfred Rodman - Me-109E (Veteran) SD / S
    Oberfähnrich Reinhart Brauer - Me-109E (Veteran) (1 Kill - 1 kill in this part of the mission) SD / S
    Oberfähnrich Gunther Koehler - Me-109E (Veteran) SD / S

Special rules:

Angling Shots - All shots that don't enter the enemy plane in its rear arc and front arc are always converted to A chits;
    All close range shots that enter the enemy's plane rear arc at close range add an A damage chit;
    These rules adds to the extra A damage chit for continuous fire (i.e. firing against the same enemy plane for consecutive turns).
    Example: A ki-43 is firing for the second consecutive time against a P-40 in the P-40 rear arc at close range. It would make AAB damage.

Ace Trigger Free - Aces are the only pilots that can fire during a reverse maneuver.

Universal Diceless Solo Chart - From now on I'll use this chart for WW2 combat. But not in this mission!!

Last edited by Blackronin; 12-11-2014 at 14:29.

All one can really say is well written Quim and well fought Ines.
    3 aircraft in one mission.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you, Rob.
    Inęs liked to play the game and this weekend we will play another. I think that Inęs wants to shoot down my pilots.

Thumbs up

What a masterful AAR 'Quim.
    Your Hurricane Ace is really something.

Great photos showing all the action as well.

Great report and great photos! A pleasure to read.

LOOP

Pure poetry

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    What a masterful AAR 'Quim.
    Your Hurricane Ace is really something.

Great photos showing all the action as well.
    Thank you, my friend. You're too kind.
    Thanks again for the REP.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Great report and great photos! A pleasure to read.
    Coming from you, that's really an amazing cumpliment. You're too kind Andrea. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Pure poetry
    Thank you, Per-Gunnar. You're too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Thank you, Rob.
    I think that Inęs wants to shoot down my pilots.
    That is just what I would expect from my gallant pilots in the R.A.F. Quim.
    Ines will be earning herself a D.F.C. in no time at this rate.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That is just what I would expect from my gallant pilots in the R.A.F. Quim.
    Ines will be earning herself a D.F.C. in no time at this rate.
    Kyte.
    Kyte... She was piloting Messerschmitts... And this weekend she will take to the air with American fighters to take down my poor Zeroes.

I read that all wrong then Quim. Must go back and start again.
    I maybe just can't get the hang of you calling Inez him in the story.
    Rob.

I read that all wrong then Quim. Must go back and start again.
    I maybe just can't get the hang of you calling Inez him in the story.
    Rob.
    I played with the idea of a German Female Pilot, but it would be too far fetched... But next game, winning or losing, there will be some surprises...

Great game Quim, Goes to show a Hurricane could take on a 109 and still survive.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I played with the idea of a German Female Pilot, but it would be too far fetched... But next game, winning or losing, there will be some surprises...
    That I do look forward to.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Great game Quim, Goes to show a Hurricane could take on a 109 and still survive.
    I really don't know how the idea evolved about the inability of the Hurricanes to take down me-109's. They really made an excellent job doing that.

That I do look forward to.
    Rob.
    Let's see what Inęs has in her sleeve for me...

I really don't know how the idea evolved about the inability of the Hurricanes to take down me-109's. They really made an excellent job doing that.
    Probably the Spitfire pilots

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Probably the Spitfire pilots
    Who can blame them?! Better planes, more sleek, top notch and the Hurricanes bringing down more German planes then them...

I'll get round to the rolls tonight, apologies.
    See you on the Dark Side......

No need for apologies, my friend, we have plenty of time.

One minute Officer Moruya was strapped into his seat in the hurricane cockpit, the next he was strapped to his seat free falling. His hurricane had simply disintegrated around him. The canon shells from the ME109's had stitched a pattern around the rear of the cockpit and his seat had simply fell out of the plane. Strangely he was falling straight down but knew that the seat would start tumbling. He un-clipped the straps and Officer Moruya and seat parted company at 5,000ft. He fell for another 1,000 ft before pulling his rip cord and his chute exploded above him. Jerked upwards he momentarily blacked out before coming round. There, not 100' away was a lovely sight. An RAF rescue launch was just idling away as he guided the chute closer and the crew, startled by the sudden splash, quickly sprang into action and pulled him from the water. "That must be the quickest rescue on record mate, you're lucky we had a spot of engine bother, otherwise we would have been miles from here." "No problems chaps, thanks for the pick up". The skipper of the boat replied "Can't hang around though the engines on the dodgy side so we're heading straight back in to port". "Ok, and thanks again". Replied Officer Moruya.

O Barry Moruya 20 damage SD / S
    rolled: 4 -1 (sea) = 3 = bailed out WIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739831/
    WIA rolled: 6 = just a scratch, ready for action
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739832/

German Flight

Hauptmann Rodman was aware that the combat had drifted closer to France his stricken plane was going down. Rudder completely shot away he was fortunate enough to be pointing in the right direction. He pushed the nose down and began to glide the ME109 towards the friendly coastline. He had enough speed he estimated to make it all the way. Luck ran out for him as the coastline approached and he knew he was too low. He couldn't bail out and he wouldn't make it safely to land. He guided the ME109 towards the coast and spotted a nice beach to belly land the 109 on. Lining up he glided down the last few metres judging it to perfection. He softly landed the Me109 only for the propeller blade to dig in and flip the plane over. Coming to an ungraceful and abrupt stop. Rodman was left upside down in his harness. He managed to open the side panel window and unbuckling himself crawled out to be greeted by two German soldiers who smartly came to attention. "Where is the nearest phone soldier"he ordered. "But Sir your arm!" It was then Rodman realised that his arm was injured. He hadn't noticed that it was bleeding. "Follow us Sir and we'll take you there." 30 minutes later a car came to pick him up to take him back to the airfield.

Hauptmann Manfred Rodman - 20 damage Me-109E (Veteran) SD / S
    rolled: 5-1(sea) = 4 = crash landed WIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739989/
    WIA rolled: 6 = just a scratch
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739990/

Brauer had never been shot down before and he panicked. For all his experience he was still panicking as the ME109 slammed into the waves below.

Oberfähnrich Reinhart Brauer - 17 damage Me-109E (Veteran) (1 Kill - 1 kill in this part of the mission) SD / S
    rolled: 3-1(sea) = 2 = KIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739992/

Koehler never regained conciousness as his stricken Me109 ploughed into the channel.

Oberfähnrich Gunther Koehler 24 damage Me-109E SD/S
    rolled 1-1(sea) = 0 = KIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739987/
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 12-13-2014 at 16:25.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    One minute Officer Moruya was strapped into his seat in the hurricane cockpit, the next he was strapped to his seat free falling. His hurricane had simply disintegrated around him. The canon shells from the ME109's had stitched a pattern around the rear of the cockpit and his seat had simply fell out of the plane. Strangely he was falling straight down but knew that the seat would start tumbling. He un-clipped the straps and Officer Moruya and seat parted company at 5,000ft. He fell for another 1,000 ft before pulling his rip cord and his chute exploded above him. Jerked upwards he momentarily blacked out before coming round. There, not 100' away was a lovely sight. An RAF rescue launch was just idling away as he guided the chute closer and the crew, startled by the sudden splash, quickly sprang into action and pulled him from the water. "That must be the quickest rescue on record mate, you're lucky we had a spot of engine bother, otherwise we would have been miles from here." "No problems chaps, thanks for the pick up". The skipper of the boat replied "Can't hang around though the engines on the dodgy side so we're heading straight back in to port". "Ok, and thanks again". Replied Officer Moruya.

O Barry Moruya 20 damage SD / S
    rolled: 4 -1 (sea) = 3 = bailed out WIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739831/
    WIA rolled: 6 = just a scratch, ready for action
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739832/
    Those Moruya chaps are tough!

Excellent, Neil!
    I'm really glad that my wingman survived to tell his tale and parade his victory.
    Thank you again for your excellent after action rolls.

Cheers Neil.
    The results always make a good read.
    Better than the Football results.
    Rob.

Cheers Neil.
    Rob.

I can just say thats a masterpiece. A piece of art.
    Rep for you.
    *edit* I cant give you more REP...

Smile

Cheers Neil.
    Rob.
    G'Rob!
    Col Jones will be smiling in Heaven as I noticed his beloved West Ham have been winning a few lately.

Thanks, Nick.
    You're most kind.
    You've already gave me REP enough.

Great AAR Joaquim. Glad to see your wife enjoying WGS. Don't teach her too well or you won't win again! (I know that feeling with my wife!)

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great AAR Joaquim. Glad to see your wife enjoying WGS. Don't teach her too well or you won't win again! (I know that feeling with my wife!)
    Inęs already plays games with me for a long time.
    She has beaten me several times by now.
    She's an ace playing Twilight Imperium.

Bravo!
    Two great pilots.
    How well you draw out the rhythm of the fight, Quim.

We wait with baited breath for the next 'surprising' game.

Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Kyte View Post
    Bravo!
    Two great pilots.
    How well you draw out the rhythm of the fight, Quim.

We wait with baited breath for the next 'surprising' game.

Eileen
    Thank you, Eileen! You're most kind.
    Thanks for the REP.
    Inęs says hi!

Similar Missions

1. AAR BOB Scenario 3 - Simply a Dogfight - Part 1 - Blackronin
    By Blackronin in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2014, 00:36
  2. AAR BOB Scenario 1 - Part 2 - Those Who Are Left Behind - Blackronin
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 01:49
  3. AAR BOB Scenario 1 - Part 1 - With the Tail Between our Legs - Blackronin
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 14:47
  4. AAR Mission 9: Gun Ho! Part 2 (Central Powers - Blackronin)
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 09:08
  5. AAR Mission 9: Gun Ho! Part 1 (Central Powers - Blackronin)
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 11:50