Ares Games

Thread: Original WW2 Corsair pic from Bougainville.

Smile Original WW2 Corsair pic from Bougainville.

G'day All!
    Here is a rather great pic of a Corsair of Marine Squadron VMF-216 at Torokina airfield at Bougainville during WW2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 Corsair VMF 216 Bougainville.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	152749

Nice pic, Barry. Sometimes you forget just what a monster of a fighter it was.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nice pic, Barry. Sometimes you forget just what a monster of a fighter it was.

Karl
    "THE US: Our Fighters Are Bigger, Faster, And Carry More Firepower Than Some Nations' Bombers."

Again: Nice picture, Barry.

Thinking about WW II in the Pacific I always have respect for the distances and the navigation abilities you needed there.

Being shot down over the wide sea meant often a death sentence for pilots & crew. (..but I have too less informations about the SAR operations of the Japanese and the Allies)
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Again: Nice picture, Barry.

Thinking about WW II in the Pacific I always have respect for the distances and the navigation abilities you needed there.

Being shot down over the wide sea meant often a death sentence for pilots & crew. (..but I have too less informations about the SAR operations of the Japanese and the Allies)
    The USN made serious attempts at aircrew rescue; operations against island bases later in the war almost always had submarines assigned to SAR. Seaplanes and flying boats too.
    the Japanese efforts were less or non-existent.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Mouthwatering aircraft Baz.
    I am going to have to splash for some of those.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The sooner the Corsair is out for this game, the better! What an amazing bird! I would hope for a USN version, USMC version, and one in Kiwi colors!
    Last edited by P-51D; 12-16-2014 at 20:47.

I would hope for one in Fleet Air Arm colours, but I have not seen any flying pigs recently.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. F4U Corsair Project
    By Scanetsu in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-01-2018, 13:39
  2. F4U Corsair
    By costampede in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 12:13
  3. Here's one for Corsair fans!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16