Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats on your workbench for December?

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I finally finished the 15mm Astro Miniatures! Here's the bridge crew, hard at work.
    From which _ST_ game does that mapsheet derive?

Very nice John.
    I especially like your Andorians.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks. Those are heads from some Old Glory aliens attached to Astro bodies.

Chris, the deck plan is from the old FASA Star Trek rpg.

A few more pics - the Science Division:

Operations Division

Command Division

One of the great thing about taking photos of minis, they will often highlight mistakes. I didn't notice I had painted over the Andorian's emblem while doing touch-ups until I took this pic.

Ah! The old head transplant trick John. Even more excellent.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Chris, the deck plan is from the old FASA Star Trek rpg.
    Thought so -- still have mine floating around somewhere. I think I even still have my character -- the guy who took out a _D7_ with an unarmed warpshuttle, and wound up with a three-step promotion, a medal for valor, a ship command, and a posting to the farthest reaches of the Federation.... :)

John

I did the same thing to Airfix`s wild west figures in the 70`s. Switch a head reposition an arm! They worked great in Boot Hill games.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Thought so -- still have mine floating around somewhere. I think I even still have my character -- the guy who took out a _D7_ with an unarmed warpshuttle, and wound up with a three-step promotion, a medal for valor, a ship command, and a posting to the farthest reaches of the Federation....
    Yes, those were the days. Odd thing, though, I think I probably played more Starships & Spacemen than FASA Trek. Of course, I played a helluva lot more Traveller than anything else back then.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    John

I did the same thing to Airfix`s wild west figures in the 70`s. Switch a head reposition an arm! They worked great in Boot Hill games.

Rich
    Cool!
    Boot Hill, now that's a golden oldie!

John

Oh yeah, BOOT HILL! Where were you in 1977!

Rich

Let me think... in the summer of '77 I was 12 (being born in December), so I suspect that was the year I painted up a bunch of Airfix guys to look like Star Wars stormtroopers.

As far as gaming, that would have been D&D, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Metamorphosis Alpha. Traveller probably hadn't made it to my table yet, nor Ogre, nor Boot Hill. Oh! Zocchi's Star Fleet Battle Manual was probably another on the list back then.

John

Star Fleet Battles. A large Micro Armour games!!!

Rich

John

Oh yeah, BOOT HILL! Where were you in 1977!

Rich
    Original D&D (white box!), Ogre, Tractics, and various SPI:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tractics_booklets_cover.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	154052
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

_Boot Hill_, or "How to bring first-generation revolvers into _D&D_".... >:)

Cool!
    Boot Hill, now that's a golden oldie!
    Fond memories of Boot Hill...

As far as gaming, that would have been D&D, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Metamorphosis Alpha. Traveller probably hadn't made it to my table yet, nor Ogre, nor Boot Hill. Oh! Zocchi's Star Fleet Battle Manual was probably another on the list back then.
    That is quite the list!

John

Star Fleet Battles. A large Micro Armour games!!!

Rich
    SFB I have. TONS of it. Speaking of... have any of you ever ordered decals from Starfighter Shipyards? I messaged him on ebay twice now, and he has never replied. I have a bunch of Federation starships that I want to work on, and the guy has outstanding looking decals, but I'm leery of ordering from him due to the lack of communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Original D&D (white box!), Ogre, Tractics, and various SPI:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tractics_booklets_cover.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	154052
    Karl
    Yep, my white box is within reach.

Tractics I never played, nor Micro Armour, but every time I saw Micro Armour minis I thought it looked like lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    That is quite the list!
    A friend got me into rpging back around '76, and those were just about the only titles available at the time. Since we were just kids, we didn't have much money to spend on games, so it's a good thing there weren't many around at the time.

A friend got me into rpging back around '76, and those were just about the only titles available at the time. Since we were just kids, we didn't have much money to spend on games, so it's a good thing there weren't many around at the time.
    Agreed! Friend that got me into rpgs had a big brother who played... and had a part-time job. He did the buying and ran the games, and we provided the thrilling heroics and tragic deaths... either that, or we were meat-shields for the older kids.

...but every time I saw Micro Armour minis I thought it looked like lots of fun...
    I dabbled in micro armor (NATO v. WP) for a couple of years, it was fun, but I could only get games at local Cons... and there weren't many of those. Battletech, WH40K, 1/2400 pre-dread and WWI naval, and a host of space minis have cluttered up the house for years...

...and now these wonderful little aircraft.

Wow. I have a problem. Oh well... in for a penny, in for a pound!

John

Tactics was always like a trip to the dentist to me! Painful and always left a bad taste in my mouth!

Rich

Christopher

I could run a Corp level WW2 Micro Armour game right now. That would be on a 1 to five scale. three divisions each side. Germans Panzer, Panzer Grenadier and infantry division. Throw in a Volks Grenadier if you want. Against two US Infantry divisions and an a heavy Armour Division plus Corp supports of course. They have been collecting dust for 20 years!!! I forgot the air power!!!

Rich

P.S. Do not mention the modern stuff, unless you are in the market for some!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Whats on your workbench for November?
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 18:50
  2. Whats on your workbench for August?
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 13:42
  3. Before ordering from the shop... whats best
    By ldsdbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 03:07
  4. Whats on your bench for July?