Ares Games

Thread: The First Dogfight -- In Mexico?

Default The First Dogfight -- In Mexico?

http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/11...irst-dogfight/

This would be a real test of the _WoG_ movement and combat system -- apocalyptically slow movement, and "ignore all damage results save for criticals"....

according to the article I don't think you even need to play the game at all, just make it up

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    according to the article I don't think you even need to play the game at all, just make it up
    True, documentation is lacking, but that argument cuts both ways -- no evidence to say it *did* happen, no evidence to say it *didn't*....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    True, documentation is lacking, but that argument cuts both ways -- no evidence to say it *did* happen, no evidence to say it *didn't*....
    Just like Billy Bishop's Aerodrome Attack!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just like Billy Bishop's Aerodrome Attack!
    And thus was coined the phrase "Pics, or it didn't happen".

Lot of what ifs and maybe's. But a terrifically good yarn and something that could be played out, especially the Paraguayan bit.
    See you on the Dark Side......

To be honest: There's one reason I'm inclined to believe Lamb -- he reported a bullet hole in his wing, but nothing to the other guy; given what pilots are like, shouldn't he have reported shooting down, or at least doing *some* damage, to his opponent? :)

Billy Bishop's hints and tips for pulling one over your C/O; shoot your own aircraft to add authenticity to your story

Trust me, as someone who was mentored and "surrogate Dad'ed" by a fighter pilot, there's a two-letter activity that ALL fighter pilots, regardless of time and flag, do extremely well...

B.S.

Smile

Billy Bishop's hints and tips for pulling one over your C/O; shoot your own aircraft to add authenticity to your story

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Trust me, as someone who was mentored and "surrogate Dad'ed" by a fighter pilot, there's a two-letter activity that ALL fighter pilots, regardless of time and flag, do extremely well...

B.S.
    Indeed this is also true for many huntsmen and fishermen, but this Lamb is Baron Münchhausen of ALL fighter pilots!

This man was quite indeed a character but, outside a pub and with no beer, I would not believe a single word coming from this man.

Nevertheless, around 1 A.M. and after a few pints, I would die to listen to him telling his Intelligence night flight as reported in his novel ...

http://www.unz.org/Pub/Century-1919jan-00379

Here are other savorous informations that could shed a few light even on the reported First Dogfight.

http://earlyaviators.com/elambde1.htm

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrow...3OeA&user=&pw=

Hope you guys enjoy the reading as I did

Mau
    Last edited by Mau Fox; 12-01-2014 at 02:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

B.S.
    True -- but if he was going to lie, wouldn't he have come up with a lie which made him *not* come off second-best? :)

Its called "Securing your employment"

Its called "Securing your employment"
    Nah -- one does not secure employment by telling everyone one got beaten. At the very least, tell them "He put one hole in my wing; I put *two* in his".

I am inclined to belive the story, I do not know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I am inclined to belive the story, I do not know why?
    Probably the same reason I do -- it *doesn't* sound like a braggart boasting. Think about it: Why would he admit to his employers "he got one hole in my wing, but I didn't score any hits on him"? At the very least, he would have claimed at least two holes through the other guy's wing.

That's where most liars get caught: Their mendacity's odor is overpowering. This, OTOH, lacks the aroma of overwhelming ordure.

Similar Missions

1. Dogfight anyone?
    By Never Miss in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 03:59
  2. Dogfight vs Son#1
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 06:08
  3. US Mexico Border Patrol
    By Pakratt in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2