Ares Games

Thread: BoB mission 4 Kanalkamf

Default BoB mission 4 Kanalkamf

RAF 64 Sq. A Flight. Red section

FL Sqd L Luke Turnbull Vet (Evasion) SH E
    2 Flt Sgt Evan Ball SH F
    3 Flt Sgt Paul Riley SH G

The phone rang twice. Jenkins picked it up Nodding slowly he replaced the recever and reached for the rope attached to the large bell fixed to the mess wall. The sound echoed across the airfield. Turnbull rose quickly to his feet as Jenkins shouted out
    "Bandits at Angels 20 Sector 3 "
    " Red section with me " Luke shouted, but his 2 & 3 were already half way toward their Spits, The ground crew clearing the chocks and handing the pilots their Mae Wests and chutes as the clambered over the wing and into the cramped cockpit.

Climbing rapidly A flight headed towards the coast Riley was the first to pipe up over the RT " Enemy fighters at 9 a clock "
    " I see them " replied Turnbull, "Any sign of the bombers?"
    " Nothing yet" replied Riley
    " Ok pick a target and follow me in "Turnbull answered The section turned towards the speeding 109's

The RAF flight had not gone unnoticed by the fighter cover who quickly broke up x& Y immelled while Z turned towards the rearmost Spitfire.

Ball and Riley swooped quickly onto the fighters. Ball firing a passing shot at the belly of X (3) while Riley riddled the fusilage of Z (2,8)

The sky became a mêlée of aircraft as each tried to turn on each other,

Meanwhile the bombers came into view. The 87s heading for the port while the HE111 moved inland.

"Get some height boys ' Turnbull barked

"Bombers coming over the coast below us "Ball responded
    "Roger that Red 2. Go for them if you have a chance "

Ball homes in on a Stuka but misses with his first burst, the Stuka pilot being far more accurate (2)

Riley Immels after his first pass over Z who has pulled away shaken by the damage he took. buzzing the HE111 he was meant to protect.

The Stukas began their bombing run and hit their target.with 2 partial hits

Turnbull dived and turns avoiding the rounds from the tail gunner (0) while x and y Immell back into the action. Ball found himself head to head with x as the German pilot came out of his Immel Smoke erupted from the Spitfires engine (5+smoke,0,0) but the Brownings hammer home and the 109 bucked under the rounds at close range (7+engine,1)
    The nose gunner in the Heinkel opened up on Riley as he closed in, clipping his rudder (0+LRD) Riley’s bullets striking home around the Perspex nose cone (4)

X with his engine failing tried to turn for the Channel .Turnbull followed . Squeezing the fire button he saw the rounds strike the Spits wings (3), but a sharp pain to his chest knocked the wind out of him and the 109 dropped away towards the sea. (6+pilot)

Riley passed between a Stuka and the 111 persuing the other JU87 taking damage as he went (3,0,0) but shredding his target (0, 8)

But the remaining 2 fighters bore down on his starboard side and that of Ball. The Stuka caught between the 2 spitfires suffers badly Ball scoring first (2,4) but Riley finishing him off (5,0 +1 tailing) But not before the German planes had done their damage on the RAF fighters (Ball3,3) (Riley 3,0)

The dog fight continued with the Sqd Leader hitting the cockpit of Y , (2+pilot) who concentrated on Balls smoking plane, delivering a final blow from close range with his cannons (3+engine5+RRD,1), Ball flipped his plane over and flew low over the blazing port.

Riley caught a quick glimpse of Y as he passed his nose and a short burst had the desired effect(3).
    Stuka 12 got a shot at Riley(1)as he headed for home .
    Y who had blacked out from his wound passed close to Turnbull who cut in behind the last Stuka hitting its tail at short range (4 +RRD, 5)
    The Hienkel dropped is payload scoring a partial hit on the bridge. Given the lack of fighter cover Q turns for home
    Y comes to but continued his tight port turn The Stuka rear gunner began to fire blindly but hit Turnbull (2) . Riley came cleanly out of his Immel and fired a short burst at the 87 at 200 yds hitting the fuselage (6) he smiled briefly as he watched pieces fall from the dive bomber.. then eased the Spitfire behind the German in an effort to finish him off, but the pilot opened up his throttle and made his get away across the Channel.

Z immeled to challenge Turnbull and protect the retreating 111 and as he came out of his loop Turnbull fired a burst at long range , his bullets severing the fuel lines and igniting the tanks, The resulting explosion rocked the Spitfire (XP)

Moving in toward the 111 he catches the bomber on its blind side (4) but as he begins his Immell the Spit is hit by the waist gunner (3).

Y begins climbing and closing on the Sqd Leader. Riley was heading back to his section leader at full throttle when Y opened up with his cannons at Turnbull (0,0,5) ,Turnbull returned the favor with his Brownings (2,4) As the 2 protagonists pass each other Y raises his hand in acknowledgement.

Seeing the bomber up ahead of him on his starboard Turnbull asses the state of his plane. The ailerons are sluggish and ammo is low.
    " Home for breakfast Paul"
    "Roger Skipper just one more pass OK"
    Riley speeds past the Hienkel and hits it on the blind port side (4LRD,3)

A Flight turned away from the enemy bomber but Y has Immelled and iwas blocking their route home. but the lone fighter had no stomach for taking on 2 Spitfires and climbed away from them at full speed.

Result

RAF A Flight Red section

Sqd Leader Luke Turnbull RTB 2 Kills
    Flt Sgt Evan Ball SD (Dice please Neil)
    Flt Sgt Paul Riley RTB 1 kill

Germans

3 losses port bombed and bridge partially destroyed.

Had to give the Germans alphabetic names as I have no "opposition" pilots as with OTT Enjoyed this game about a month ago but due to not having any internet only just got it posted.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 11-25-2014 at 05:37.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hard fight, Paul.

Your Spitfires performed well and teached the Luftwaffe boys a lesson.

I like your Spitfire repaints.

Hope the best for the shot down pilot.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Paul with that many crews already on the sheet you can make up your won if you wish or keep them anonymus. I doubt Spitfire A would know the name of the pilot of ME019 Y that he just shot down.

Rolls to follow.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Excellent AAR.
    I love the repaints!
    REP!

##Riley##
    ##Yeh skip##
    ##Did you see where Ball went down? Did you see a chute?##
    ##No, but he might have waited until he was below the combat zone before bailing out##
    ##Ok let's head for home. The RAF launch can't be to far away##
    ##Roger skip, behind and to the left##

Sgt Evan Ball knew his Spitfire was done for. Smoke was pouring from the engine. Oil was beginning to smear itself across the canopy. His rudder was useless and he thought it was in a neutral position as the Spit didn't feel like it was spinning. Must be in a flat dive then. I'll count to 10 then bail, I'll be bel......

Sgt Evans didn't feel the impact with the sea at 300mph. Nor did his friends see the spitfire cartwheel a number of times before sinking below the waves.

Flt Sgt Evan Ball
    rolled: 1 - 1 (sea) = -1 KIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728431/

"Hey skip. The RAF have posted a Spitfire going down around where Evans went down. They saw it cartwheel into the sea and disappear the Adj has posted Evans MIA".
    "Yes another of our gallant few, gone. Riley let me introduce you to Pete Rogers, just posted in to the squadron. He'll be taking Sgt Evans place in our flight." Without another word about Sgt Evans the two pilots took their new pilot to the mess. There would be time to remember after the war thought Sqn Ldr Luke Turnbull. Not now, too many now's, not enough then's.

replacement pilot and plane:
    rolled 4 = standard
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728435/
    when:3 = in time for the next battle
    rolled
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728453/

A fine epitaph for Sgt Ball Neil . How did you know i chose Pete Rogers to be up next for the 64th ?

Apologies Paul. Please feel free to change the name. For the after story it was better than (fill name here please or just ### ###)

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    A fine epitaph for Sgt Ball Neil . How did you know i chose Pete Rogers to be up next for the 64th ?

Great report of a great action!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Apologies Paul. Please feel free to change the name. For the after story it was better than (fill name here please or just ### ###)
    No probs Neil I like the name , and have added it already to my hardcopy roster.

Stirring stuff there Paul.
    Outcome:- A typical for that sort of encounter. Some bombs dropped, and three one to our lads with one of ours not returning. R.I.P. Sgt Ball.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

This is true. But the boys will be up for another rumble next mission

Similar Missions

1. Solo Mission 4: Luftaufklärungsauftrag (Air reconnaissance Mission).
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 05:12